• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS13 trailer

wildfire

Banned
I'm having a really, really hard time getting excited for this game. I just don't see what other people are seeing.

Just looks like cinematic set piece after cinematic set piece, which looks cool and all and I'm sure it'll be exciting when played but right now what about the gameplay? I'm looking for a vast world to explore, so I hope it only has those Uncharted-like scenes are only in certain limited places.

It's just that right now it looks like Tomb Raider with RPG elements where you go on a linear path, fight enemies, DESTRUCTION ALL AROUND YOU!, climb shit, more enemies, maybe a braindead puzzle if we're lucky and repeat. Really hope it's not like that at all. Maybe it's just a trailer thing. Please let it be just a trailer thing.

I don't know, I just don't know about this game...

It does look cinematic but this time you are actually playing the game with the same game mechanics you are given to play with instead of having to push X at the right time.

Just compare the fight along the building wall to the scene with the leviathon.

At no given time does the gameplay look different. You have your blink sword point at a given location and teleport there. You can remove your blink sword from the surface to fight for short bursts of time. The leviathon scene almost looks like a platformer that holds your hand like Castlevania Lords of Shadow but with crazier platforms to deal with.

The level and enemy design could be extremely flawed but atleast this time they thought of ingenious way to allow you to actually play in scenarios without shitty QTE controls by allowing to use the real controls.

All their projects should just be leaked. They take a decade to make them as it is. I'm genuinely wondering what's happening right now with this game. Any other company, and you could probably make a reasonable assumption, but these people are 'special'. I don't even know what to think. I'm expecting good news next year; I hope we're not let down.

Square was never Blizzard in the late 90s early 00's and they aren't going to be the new Blizzard now.

Asd202

The level and enemy design could be extremely flawed but atleast this time they thought of ingenious way to allow you to actually play in scenarios without shitty QTE controls by allowing to use the real controls.

So Uncharted Fantasy is becoming a reality ? :D

Sou

The reason why the gameplay footage looks like CG is because that is the development approach of the game. In previous interviews, Nomura has specifically said that:

http://gematsu.com/2013/06/final-fantasy-xv-staff-characters-development-detailed
There have been some changes in the staff. Hajime Tabata is the co-director and Takeshi Nozue is the Total Visual Director. Nozue is a member of Visual Works, but we are now developing games together. As he is overseeing the visual production, the difference between real-time scenes and pre-rendered (CGI) movies is almost negligible. “Look Development,” a technique developed and coined by Visual Works, is used in Final Fantasy XV. It is very similar to Agni’s Philosophy in that it allows pre-rendered movies to be produced and dropped into Luminous Studio and played in real-time.

Dark_castle

It does look cinematic but this time you are actually playing the game with the same game mechanics you are given to play with instead of having to push X at the right time.

At no given time does the gameplay look different. You have your blink sword point at a given location and teleport there. You can remove your blink sword from the surface to fight for short bursts of time. The leviathon scene almost looks like a platformer that holds your hand like Castlevania Lords of Shadow but with crazier platforms to deal with.

Thank you. I believe you're probably the first person around to appreciate the effort as well as approach they went with in assimilating CGI movies with actual gameplay controls rather than relying on QTE.

I hope they could execute it well though. We haven't seen much of it so far.

RocBase

For those who don't want to waste time watching the trailer, I gifed the new scenes

xvtgs01ffqrt.gif

lol thanks.

the quoted gif is how i feel about se right now honestly

Square was never Blizzard in the late 90s early 00's and they aren't going to be the new Blizzard now.

That's true of Uncharted as well. You can control Drake as usual during those moments when everything around you is falling apart. But there's no real freedom. There is still only one way to go and one thing to do in order to "win", and you have to do it in a set amount of time before the "scene" is over. Is that a QTE? No. But it may as well be.

The reason I'm not really excited anymore is that in the 2011 re-reveal (lol), the game looked exactly as described: KH2 meets FFXII/DQ8. The 2013 re-re-reveal didn't show that, instead opting for Uncharted Fantasy XV.

I also don't like the watered down aesthetic. The game seems to be chalk full monsters/magic and stupid advent children style action. If you go back to the original trailers the tone was a lot more mature and realistic, which was what immediately set it apart from FFXIII and its typical JRPG shenanigans.

This is nothing new for SE. I remember they used the same base XIII trailer for a couple years but each time they showed it they added a tiny bit of new footage.
You are now making me worry that they will keep showing this Leviathan scene and introduction in almost every trailer =/

I would love to see more Lighting Returns type coverage but i guess that will only happen if the game is releasing soon and it seems unlikely that it can release in 2014 =/

wildfire

Banned
That's true of Uncharted as well. You can control Drake as usual during those moments when everything around you is falling apart. But there's no real freedom. There is still only one way to go and one thing to do in order to "win", and you have to do it in a set amount of time before the "scene" is over. Is that a QTE? No. But it may as well be.

The reason I'm not really excited anymore is that in the 2011 re-reveal (lol), the game looked exactly as described: KH2 meets FFXII/DQ8. The 2013 re-re-reveal didn't show that, instead opting for Uncharted Fantasy XV.

I also don't like the watered down aesthetic. The game seems to be chalk full monsters/magic and stupid advent children style action. If you go back to the original trailers the tone was a lot more mature and realistic, which was what immediately set it apart from FFXIII and its typical JRPG shenanigans.

I just watched the full 2011 trailer for the first time and I think the criticism is unfair. There are monsters and even more of them than shown in the 2013 trailer. The difference is that we see all but 1 inside a city, the rest are in the wilderness.

An even bigger difference is that in both the forest and urban environment the crew has to face off airships and mechs. While that hasn't happened in the 2013 trailer all the enemy types seen aren't unfamiliar aspects from most of the previous Final Fantasies.

I think you are taking for granted that everything shown so far seems to be just the first hour or 2 of the game. There is a good chance you'll fly around the world and will be able to interact in a purely real world urban environment while playing this game eventually.

As for your points about Uncharted I never played the game and you could be right. It would be unfortunate if true but I don't recall most Final Fantasy fights being any different.

Let's just hope their ambitions that have dragged on this game's development means they are breaking that mold in some way. I wouldn't mind an on rails type of path if failing to beat an encounter allows you to move on with the consequences of that failure being felt in the future. Being stuck in sequence dying over and over again until you win would be the same old thing I have played with since VI which was the last iteration I spent any considerable time with.

I just watched the full 2011 trailer for the first time and I think the criticism is unfair. There are monsters and even more of them than shown in the 2013 trailer. The difference is that we see all but 1 inside a city, the rest are in the wilderness.

An even bigger difference is that in both the forest and urban environment the crew has to face off airships and mechs. While that hasn't happened in the 2013 trailer all the enemy types seen aren't unfamiliar aspects from most of the previous Final Fantasies.

I think you are taking for granted that everything shown so far seems to be just the first hour or 2 of the game. There is a good chance you'll fly around the world and will be able to interact in a purely real world urban environment while playing this game eventually.

As for your points about Uncharted I never played the game and you could be right. It would be unfortunate if true but I don't recall most Final Fantasy fights being any different.

Let's just hope their ambitions that have dragged on this game's development means they are breaking that mold in some way. I wouldn't mind an on rails type of path if failing to beat an encounter allows you to move on with the consequences of that failure being felt in the future. Being stuck in sequence dying over and over again until you win would be the same old thing I have played with since VI which was the last iteration I spent any considerable time with.

I should clarify, I had the same complaint regarding aesthetic in the 2011 trailer as well. Just gameplay wise the two trailers seem like completely different games.

teiresias

The gameplay footage isn't CG, I don't know why anyone thinks so. If it were CG you'd think they'd render it at a decent framerate.

Go_Ly_Dow

some of the more cinematic sequences like the sky scraper stuff really gives me Advent Children vibes for some reason.

Falk

that puzzling face
There's some Japanese disney gaming event in October or something.

It will very likely be there.

D23? There's a Japanese D23 expo mid-October (their first) and while Kingdom Hearts -is- mentioned in the press releases, it sounds awfully like it'd be a really well-kept secret and announcing it there rather than a game-oriented event seems a little odd.

Could go either way.

Top Bottom