• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV TGS13 trailer

For those who don't want to waste time watching the trailer, I gifed the new scenes

xvtgs01ffqrt.gif

ibaz1i44MipJsp.gif
graphics look insane. that's gameplay, right?

skdoo

Banned
I'm sure this will be great whenever it actually gets released... and I will buy it sight unseen. Because I remember Square when they didn't suck.

CorvoSol

Their upcoming major projects include Lighting Returns and Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD and both are going to be released in late 2013/early 2014.

The most logical conclusion here is that Lighting Returns is making them keep this project under sheets. Once the holy Lighting trilogy will end, we might be getting new info about XV as frequently as we got for Lighting Returns.

This is what i BELIEVE!

I remember when I had faith in this company.

I think that Bush Jr. was still POTUS?

Soriku

I. . . I watched the English trailers (The first one at Sony's press conference at E3) and watch this one too, and I . .

I haven't the slightest clue what is going on in this game.

Don't get me wrong, it looks awesome, and I'm very hopeful that they are going to achieve visual quality in the final product that we see in the trailers, but I've watched this again and again and I have no idea, plot wise, what is going on. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XV

Edit: This game has no relation to other FF titles, it just shares some mythology with FF XIII and Type-0 as far as connections go. You'll be able to play this without playing any other FF game.

todd360

During the time when everyone thought this was vaporware, I dreamed of holding it in my hands and just being in pure bliss. Even if the game ended up being a disappointment it would all be worth it to just hold it.

Decided to go all digital for ps4. Now I realize that this game truly is vapor. I won't hold it but my ps4 hard drive will.

RaikuHebi

Banned
I only just watched it now. The fuck was that?! Since the PS4 reveal event I've suspected Square are trolling but this confirms it. Only 2 new scenes and they're just elaborations on scenes we've already seen!

I thought I'd seen all the Versus trailers. I've seen those environments but some of it seemed new. Thanks, made up for Square's papier-mache effort.

The dark days of Lightning trilogy will soon be over, a bright new era
of waiting
is right by us!

Soon
You just made me realise that the character names are opposites. Noctis means "of the night". But you've used them in juxtaposing ways haha.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
there is totally nothing in the video ? If only I could understand Japanese :v does he say any reassuring info about the gameplay at least ?
Talks about how none of the gameplay footage is pre-rendered, talks about how a lot of memory lets you have more details and seamless gameplay, how XV is more action-based, how it's a fantasy inspired by reality and.... well, yeah, that's it actually that's all he said.

raven777

Talks about how none of the gameplay footage is pre-rendered, talks about how a lot of memory lets you have more details and seamless gameplay, how XV is more action-based, how it's a fantasy inspired by reality and.... well, yeah, that's it actually that's all he said.

He actually doesn't say that. He says the typical dynamic pre-render stuff of previous FF can be done in real-time.

orioto

Good Art™
ibaz1i44MipJsp.gif

I bet you this is actual gameplay. It looks totally doable. This is not outside what has been done for games towards the end of the ps3/360 cycle, I don't see how it isn't completely doable for ps4/xbone.

The only difference is the graphic quality is definitely better. You don't get those reflections, textures on ps3/360. Either way, It looks friggen good.

This is the kind of situation where people are all "omg it's cgi quality" without seeing shit. We don't see the character quality, and not a lot of the ship quality. This is just a dynamic shot with cool setting and everyone is like "omg cgi".

No reason this is not in game.

He actually doesn't say that. He says the typical dynamic pre-render stuff of previous FF can be done in real-time.

No. He explicitly says in his second answer (in the Famitsu article) that the Leviathen Boss battle shown in the E3 demo is all in real time instead of needing to be a CG movie like previous Final Fantasy's. He says "instead of watching a CG movie playing for Leviathan, I can actually play".

Edit: Nomura sure likes to repeat "real-time" in this Famitsu thing over and over again.

The fact they're talking about it, albeit repeating things is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Still believe more is being shown behind closed doors... just seems likely.

HeelPower

No. He explicitly says in his second answer (in the Famitsu article) that the Leviathen Boss battle shown in the E3 demo is all in real time instead of needing to be a CG movie like previous Final Fantasy's. He says "instead of watching a CG movie playing for Leviathan, I can actually play".

Edit: Nomura sure likes to repeat "real-time" in this Famitsu thing over and over again.

ok that's important info...If we could get translation soon it would be nice.

raven777

he does say that you "can do/play" the leviathan scene in real time. But I still take that differently as "the E3 leviathan you saw was actually real time."
They have always said that scene will be real time. But it could just be a target for the final game. I am pretty sure at E3 someone said a lot of gameplay part of the E3 trailer (not the gameplay trailer) was "what was going to be in real-time, but in target CG render."

I could be wrong and I hope I am wrong, but at the moment I think it is a CG.

he does say that you "can do/play" the leviathan scene in real time. But I still take that differently as "the E3 leviathan you saw was actually real time."
They have always said that scene will be real time. But it could just be a target for the final game. I am pretty sure at E3 someone said a lot of gameplay part of the E3 trailer (not the gameplay trailer) was "what was going to be in real-time, but in target CG render."

I could be wrong and I hope I am wrong, but at the moment I think it is a CG.

Agreed. It was very clear from the E3 trailer that they were using different builds for certain "in-game" parts. I'm not going to believe that was all real-time till I see it in an actual live demo.

If I am reading this correctly in the Famitsu article he talks about the Behemoths facial expressions...

Okay Nomura. You don't need to go that far...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
As previously mentioned, most of the interview is from E3, but here's a somewhat liberal summary anyway:

When Final Fantasy originally transitioned to 3D, a good portion of the dynamic scenes had to be pre-rendered. As time advanced and hardware changed, however, scenes that previously had to be pre-rendered can now be displayed in real time, allowing for control over the player character. For example, the Leviathan scene in the E3 trailer - according to Nomura - scenes such as this previously would have been pre-rendered, but now it can be played in real time.

The concept Nomura created for the battle system is to be as seamless as possible including the ability to switch between actions and characters at a moment's notice. Each character together with Noctis is very unique and they'll work together to take advantage of each one's special abilities. Actions such as these would have also been pre-rendered in the past, but are now displayed in real time - such as the scene where Prompto steps up to cover for our wayward Prince.

Because the game is action based, Nomura says that the focus of battles is speed and to cause the enemies to react as much as possible. Both enemies and party members will move around the field while the battle situation changes at a moment's notice. This gives the game a sense of realism and is where Nomura believes XV differs from your typical FF game. FFXV will however maintain its similarities to the older titles by including the visualization of Hit Points on screen - like when an enemy or ally incurs damage and numbers show up on screen. The team decided to keep those elements in, otherwise they wouldn't feel that it was "Final Fantasy." With action and on-screen numbers present, Nomura believes there is no other action game currently presenting itself this way.

FFXV's story is derived from the foundation that created both Final Fantasy XIII and Type-0 which takes its roots from the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology penned by series writer Kazushige Nojima. Despite those connections, the world itself is its own original concept that has a more modern feel. The game's story is quite simple as it centers around heroes who must recover a stolen crystal from enemies, but it also focuses on the relationships between the various characters that typically define a Final Fantasy style plot.

The game's theme is a "fantasy based on reality" with the concept of its world similar to our own - that said, Nomura says that one of the larger points of XV is the fantasy that develops in the world. Trying to realize that concept before the advent of the PS4 had proved quite difficult for the team. As a developer, Nomura believes the most important part of a hardware is its memory and the more you have the more the impossible becomes possible. With more data allowed to reside in the memory, disc read frequency can be reduced and creating larger worlds becomes possible as well. Memory also accounts for the ability to render things in real time. Because there are so many characters in motion during battles with many weapons that can be permanently loaded - the synergy between FFXV and the PS4 is very good.

Following E3, Nomura had a talk with his staff about the video in which the Behemoth appeared to face Noctis and company. He thought the character's expressions were great but for the monsters he still wants to usher in some improvements. From now on, he wants to create as much detail as possible.

As reported on several times since E3, Nomura is thinking about pairing the use of mobile devices with the PS4 title, since in today's era it's often hard to sit still in front of a TV. Nomura wants players to continue to experience the world of FFXV when they're on the go. While it's been a considerable time since Versus XIII was originally announced, Nomura recognizes that every has high expectations for his title. The staff will do their best to live up to those expectations, so naturally we're made to look forward to their efforts.

I wonder how all these real-time cinematic scenes will play out. Will they be like QTEs or more like Uncharted?

Personally, i don't want a simple button press like QTE but close to Uncharted level controls, which still made us believe that we were in control of the player during these action heavy scripted scenes.

No more seeing Tidus sliding on a zip line in a cutscene, instead, we will be sliding in real-time and have limited control :p

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I wonder how all these real-time cinematic scenes will play out. Will they be like QTEs or more like Uncharted?

Personally, i don't want a simple button press like QTE but close to Uncharted level controls, which still made us believe that we were in control of the player during these action heavy scripted scenes.

No more seeing Tidus sliding on a zip line in a cutscene, instead, we will be sliding in real-time and have limited control :p

To me it sounds like scripted scenes - so yes, like Uncharted.

HeelPower

I think these scenes will be alot like uncharted and they are actually failable...

Yes I think its a very neat addition...Imagine actually taking part in something like the eidolon battle in Eden..Some giant cool scenes will be playable this time around.

Bleep

I find it quite interesting that Nomura and staff are able to regularly release Kingdom Hearts games while FFXV seems to be stuck in development hell. As far as I'm aware, both projects share a lot of staff, so could they even really be working on both at the same time? It really just seems all the versions of FFXV have just been in concept and planning stages while main work is continued on the Kingdom Hearts series. I'm not hugely knowledgeable about the teams and development at Square-Enix, so I'm curious if anyone knows what actually goes on structurally when creating these games.

Dark_castle

I find it quite interesting that Nomura and staff are able to regularly release Kingdom Hearts games while FFXV seems to be stuck in development hell. As far as I'm aware, both projects share a lot of staff, so could they even really be working on both at the same time? It really just seems all the versions of FFXV have just been in concept and planning stages while main work is continued on the Kingdom Hearts series. I'm not hugely knowledgeable about the teams and development at Square-Enix, so I'm curious if anyone knows what actually goes on structurally when creating these games.

Well the KH games that you speak are mostly developed by a different team in Osaka led by Tai Yasue (current co-director for KH3), while the team that works on FFXV is the same team that only made KH1 and KH2 as well as their Final Mixes.

Kingdom Hearts games used a lot of recycled assets and have mostly the same gameplay that has evolved with each iteration.

There hasn't been a proper Kingdom Hearts game for a while now. The handheld ones require considerably less resources and time than a console one and the last new console KH game that we got was KH 2 on PS2 in 2006

Final Fantasy games, on the other hand, are completely separate and different games each time. The only thing that each of them have in common is the mythology, monsters and the general sense of direction. Otherwise, each game is set in a completely different world with completely different characters and different gameplay. Hence they take quite a while to be released. The lack of creativity at the current Square Enix is not helping the matters as well.

HeelPower

these handhelds are nothing like a KH3...

Top Bottom