• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Nintendo Power cover revealed

Just dropping by to say how much Nintendo Power meant to me as a youngster. I received my first issue in 1989 (Mega Man 2) and from then on, I was hooked. I have clear memories of receiving the following Tetris and Batman issues (brought the latter to school after lunch and was so distracted in class just by thinking about it - I was 12 at the time), as well as the Rescue Rangers (or was it Super C?) issue that previewed Castlevania III. I couldn't wait for that game. Rented it (along with Rollergames) one long weekend and finally got it for Christmas 1990. (In the Dr. Mario issue, I think they had a 30+ pages extravaganza (+ full map) for Dracula's Curse, it was amazing!).

I still have all my magazines and went on a major buying spree for back issues in the last couple of weeks. I'm echoing the others who said a part of their childhood is gone now... That being said, that last Nester comic was sad yet hopeful and it made me shed more than a few tears. Anyways, thanks to all who worked for the magazine (admittedly, I lost interest at the beginning of the Nintendo 64 era). As far as I'm concerned, the magazine went out with a bang, as the last five years or so have been the best following my introduction to the mag in the Summer of 89.

Downhome

I have a feeling that this is going to get harder and harder to find. I haven't found any copies other than in WalMart, and some of them are going for $30 or $40 on eBay already.

I get what you're saying, but for some of us the magazine was special enough and worth supporting.

Died or continued the increase in quality that started with the redesign when they decided to age-up with their readers.

Eh, it felt like it was aging down. It had good articles sometimes but it just felt like I was reading something designed for a kid. I too wasn't a fan really past '07. I don't even know if I read them months at a time but I could never stop resubscribing.

I actually enjoyed the second to last issue though. The last issue, I did not. The throwback to the past was okay but it was basically, here's what came out, here's what we covered, etc... rinse and repeat 20+ years. The big 288 list of games was sort of fun going through with my friend but other than that it seemed empty. Only thing I enjoyed was the comic.

blamite

None of the places I used to buy NP seem to carry it anymore. :/ B&N, Jewel, Walgreens, Target all haven't had anything.

terrisus

I haven't seen them do anything special for the subscribers since issue #1...
The lack of that kind of stuff is exactly why their numbers dwindled.

Can you remember the last time you renewed and had a choice of strategy guides? I don't.

Oh, and I know I'm late with responding to this, but, the last time I remember was right after Future took over, when they sent out some little Prima guide for Phantom Hourglass (or something like that. Was for a game I didn't have anyway, and didn't have a choice of different options I don't think).

Before that though, there used to be all sorts of great bonuses for re-subscribing. Checking back, one of my other recent ones was getting the Link's Awakening guide for resubscribing in 2005 (and then there's even the fact that they still even had that guide available at all in 2005). Other stuff I remember getting including a DK64 banana-themed N64 controller, and of course a whole wide variety of guides and such every year. But, right up through 2005/2006, they had all sorts of great options and bonuses for free.

But, yeah, after Future took over, other than that Prima guide right around the time of the transfer, I don't remember anything after that.

EDIT: Checking back through my old mails, I got the Twilight Princess player's guide and soundtrack CD for resubscribing in 2006, the Link's Awakening guide in 2005, a Zelda: Four Swords Adventures T-Shirt in 2004, and the Zelda: Collector's Edition game for GCN in 2003. So, yeah, some pretty awesome stuff.

Anyone who ordered from the publisher actually get theirs? I ordered 2 copies directly from Future shop like 2 weeks ago, and they still haven't even shipped.

yeah i haven't had any luck finding this in stores i usually buy magazines from :(

i only got some time left i think before its pulled from shelves, nooooooo

Revenile

I managed to obtain a couple issues (one forever to remain in the plastic covering). It really is an amazing Final issue (though ad-less would have been better, at least some of the ads say their thank you and good byes). It's when you hit that Nester & Max comic, and then the GAME OVER page, it hits hard, and I wasn't really a subscriber until recently, like the last year or two.

Anyone who ordered from the publisher actually get theirs? I ordered 2 copies directly from Future shop like 2 weeks ago, and they still haven't even shipped.
Just got my box today, though I had it shipped to work so it may have sat here during the break. Point being, it takes a while.

Sora_N

Future US never shipped my order, apparently. I waited a month for absolutely no reason. Wtf, if you are sold out you're supposed to tell me. I never saw this magazine anywhere in stores here (in Canada), and I didn't look that hard since I thought I secured one with Future.

Thank you for contacting Future US Store.

We are completely out of stock of this item and do not anticipate our stock will be replenished.

A refund check will be mailed if your order was paid by check or money order. If it was paid by credit card, we have not charged your credit card since the item was not available for shipping.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused, and thank you for the opportunity to be of service.

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. To ensure your future concerns are handled in a timely fashion, please include all previous e-mail correspondence.

Wow, that's ridiculous (and scummy). Very sorry to hear that! Have you pushed back / given them a call to see if there's anything they can do?

LiK

Future US never shipped my order, apparently. I waited a month for absolutely no reason. Wtf, if you are sold out you're supposed to tell me. I never saw this magazine anywhere in stores here (in Canada), and I didn't look that hard since I thought I secured one with Future.

i received the same letter. probably gone from stores now. looks like i'm screwed at getting a copy now.

Sora_N

I responded back but I doubt they can/will do anything (I don't want anything from them except the NP).

EDIT: Oh god it's $40 on eBay, damn scalpers.

Sora_N

I got a letter from them in paper, sent January 3, saying the same thing as the email. Looking everywhere for a copy now, lol.

B.K.

So there's no place to order it online without paying inflated prices? I never had a chance to look for the issue when it was out and I'd like to get a copy.

Sora_N

Check your pm box. I found a couple at my local Wal Mart and can send you one.

Just wanted to give a shoutout to TheBaldEmperor for hooking me up with a copy. Thanks! :)

IMG_1196_zpsfbe04f48.jpg

Ocaso

So there's no place to order it online without paying inflated prices? I never had a chance to look for the issue when it was out and I'd like to get a copy.

Sadly I never found a copy at retail either. I'd forgotten about it until I saw the thread. Any Gaffer that can help?

Top Bottom