• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

friz898

Like 4 outstanding replies in a row.

Thanks Guys.

All questions answered.

I guess I'll get rid of Frederick. I don't want to become dependent on him, and I don't want to harm the growth of my other characters. Perhaps I could pair him up with the MC for that stat boost.

That seemed like a pretty good idea.

As for the clerics not healing themselves, I simply dont get this from a logical point, but! I'll be just fine. This is the first game I've ever heard of in my life where a healer couldnt heal themselves, lol.

Doorman

As for the clerics not healing themselves, I simply dont get this from a logical point, but! I'll be just fine. This is the first game I've ever heard of in my life where a healer couldnt heal themselves, lol.

Beats me, maybe there's something about the staff that requires the caster to be "aiming" the weapon at someone else in order for it to work? Maybe they could heal by doing it into a mirror then, I dunno. XP
From a gameplay perspective...well, clerics and the like are designed to be your "weak links" for that purpose. They have low survivability of their own because they contribute to the survivability of the rest of your army, who they must then rely on to protect them. That's the tradeoff you get for bringing a healer into a fight vs. taking along another offensive unit.

FSLink

Banned
Like 4 outstanding replies in a row.

Thanks Guys.

All questions answered.

I guess I'll get rid of Frederick. I don't want to become dependent on him, and I don't want to harm the growth of my other characters. Perhaps I could pair him up with the MC for that stat boost.

That seemed like a pretty good idea.

Since I saw you're not using Pair Up much, you're likely on Normal difficulty right? I'm on Hard and it's almost essential. Makes Frederick much more useful too, I constantly paired him up with units like Chrom for extra damage or let him pair up with a weaker unit so they can level up. I've only tried Normal on the demo and it's not as useful.

Ala Alba

I'm sure this has already been posted, but I just got Gaius' and Male!Avatar's C rank support

"If you are looking for ransom, I can assure you I don't have any money. But what I do have are a very particular set of honey cakes..."
sounds familiar lol

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Whoa, just got super lucky on Chapter 7.

Vaike and Cordelia got attacked by, like, five enemies in a row, including the boss...they only lost 4 HP total because everything missed, and then I kicked their asses next turn.

Also, I finally realized how amazing Pair Up is. Seriously, I didn't realize you could quickly switch between the characters without wasting a turn, it's really made things easier since I started using it.

So what exactly triggers new scenes in the barracks? I left the game on sleep and suddenly I have a bunch of new events there.

Basically time. The more time spent not checking it, the more events will pop up. If it is anything like FE12's, then the longer spent not checking it, the more likely the events will be better.

Interesting... if a unit is A rank with someone and the talk thing is on, their path is locked.

My chrom and sumia are like that and i can't get any guy to get sumia any attention :(

Oh well, canon pair it is then, I guess my main will smang that dancer <3

vall03

Whoa, just got super lucky on Chapter 7.

Vaike and Cordelia got attacked by, like, five enemies in a row, including the boss...they only lost 4 HP total because everything missed, and then I kicked their asses next turn.

Also, I finally realized how amazing Pair Up is. Seriously, I didn't realize you could quickly switch between the characters without wasting a turn, it's really made things easier since I started using it.

Same here, Pair-Up has been very essential for me especially on later stages, and with high support levels, you can just send one pair and they can usually kill every incoming enemy.

Also didn't realize 'Switch' at first but it has been a very important feature especially on units with limited movement.

CSX

Jesus at some of these later chapters. How the hell everyone survives without pairing up and supports?

and does a green number = maxed out stat just like old FEs?

How would I repair a weapon?

You dont. FE universe runs a mass production weapon economy. You buy a new one once they run out of endurance and break

zroid

Banned
Interesting... if a unit is A rank with someone and the talk thing is on, their path is locked.

My chrom and sumia are like that and i can't get any guy to get sumia any attention :(

Oh well, canon pair it is then, I guess my main will smang that dancer <3

You mean beyond A, right? You can still get Sumia and the other compatible guys up to A, I presume?

You mean beyond A, right? You can still get Sumia and the other compatible guys up to A, I presume?

not until you get them to S rank. I was literally the 'talk' away from S rank.

hmmmmmm who to pair my quiet knight up with.

but yeah these marriage proposal skits are sooo random compare to the rest of the support conversations.

I baked some pies, LETS GET MARRIED WAFAWEFJAWIFJAWEOJFPWO

Marche90

Is it worth it to level up Donnel? The guy is pretty weak in combat so I rarely use him.

Leveled him up, changed classes to Mercenary>Hero. NOTHING can touch him, and he will kill an enemy in a single turn, no exceptions. My best unit, aside from the Avatar (and maybe Morgan, but I haven't recruited him yet) Can't decide between Cordelia, Tiki or
Lucina
:'( Gotta hurry up with that, since I'm in chapter 22!

That, or wait for the SpotPass characters to appear. I really want to pair my Avatar with
Emmeryn
, but Morgan would be only useful for DLC, essentially.

That reminds me. Do we get a post-game dungeon like the one from The Sacred Stones (or more paralogues/extra missions), or nothing at all?

Jachaos

Is it worth it to level up Donnel? The guy is pretty weak in combat so I rarely use him.

Yes, he's one of the best units in the series later on. Tough to raise his levels at first (pair Frederick with him to give him some Atk+Def bonuses and Fred might jump in for some kills. Or pair Kellam. Just, pair someone with him and it'll be easier) but when he hits level 10 and on, you can use a Second Seal on him to change his class to Mercenary. From there just watch him slaughter everyone. He gets +1 in pretty much everything for each Level Up, and even +2 in HP sometimes. He's got 80HP now for me after completing the game ! He's just insanely good, from Villager->Mercenary->Hero. He has a skill that doubles his growth rates and that's why he has such good level up stat gains.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Can't believe some of you have already beaten it. Had it for two days and have had enough time to get to chapter 4. Should be able to put a lot of time into it this weekend though.

Guessing I should have bought that Second Seal even though I don't really need it yet, since the merchant vanished. Was also concerned I was going to be out of heals since no shops were available and I only had 3 or so uses left coming out of chapter 3.

And one really small thing that makes a big difference is the change to experience for your clerics. In previous games you basically have to farm experience just to level them up, but Lissa is naturally keeping up with the rest of my party here (actually she's tied for my highest level unit :lol).

hmmm I assume the best main character babbies would result from marrying Donnel's kid?

But the thought kinda creeps me out. Think ill just get every girl to A rank and see who I want to smank.

Cuz I like personality.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Pair Up also makes relationship building MUCH easier...before I was taking time to move characters next to each other before attacking in order to make sure they got the little hearts above their heads. :p

Here's my planned relationships at the moment, only Chapter 8 so I don't have enough women yet...is there a 50/50 split, or will you have characters left single?

Chrom x Sumia: Why not? The canon route.

Avatar x Lissa: She's my favorite and highest leveled character so far, and I think she's cute lol. Plus I love Double Magicking' enemies with them.

Virion x Sully: This seems "canon", given their first meeting and all.

Vaike x Cordelia: Because they rocked together in Chapter 7, I'm going with this. With Chrom and Vaike being rivals, why not have both of them date Pegasus Knights?

Maribelle x Ricken: They seemed like close friends since you got them together in the same Chapter.

Kellam x Panne: Because it makes me laugh, haha.

Donnel x Miriel: They seems to have a student x teacher relationship going on right now. Hot student-teacher action. :/

So Lon'qu (he seems like a single man really), Frederick, Stahl, and Gaius are the eligible bachelors at the moment. Hope I get some more girls soon for them.

I don't know if people knew this but dlc Marth has access to the
parallel falchion just found out he can also use regular falchion and the exalted falchion despite it being chrom only lol
I think that's pretty sweet

Aquila

Yes, Promoting early is usually always a bad idea. If you're planning on Promoting and are still in a Base Class, wait until Level 20 and then Promote.

The reason for this is because when you Promote a Unit, it's automatically labeled as a 20+ Unit. If you Promote at 15 or 20, it doesn't matter. They will immediately be seen as Level 21. That means you essentially lose out on the easier level gains from 15-20 if you were to promote earlier, since the game now sees your character as being 20+.

If you're interested in gathering Skills for your Unit, it might be better to re-class to whichever Base Classes you'd like first [before Promotion], gain the Level 1/10 Skills you need, and then, once you're happy, level to 20 in your Class of choice and Promote. You could then stay in the Promotion Class area indefinitely and use Second Class Seals [after Level 10 in your Promoted Class] to switch between other Promoted Classes as you deem necessary to gain even more Skills. This would ensure your leveling in the Base Classes won't be slowed down by "Promotion XP Fatigue", and since XP is usually automatically reduced when you Promote, switching between other Promoted Classes shouldn't impact you too much at all.

I hope I explained that well. I did so to the best of my ability. :(
Thank you for this. I've been dwelling on how to level my characters ever since seeing the aforementioned gamefaqs post .

Basically, in order to maximize skill gain:
Level character's initial base class to 10 (or 20 for extra stats, it won't harm your internal lvl)
Promote with Master Seal and level to 15 (or 20 again, it won't harm your internal lvl yet)
Class change with a Second Seal into another base class and level to 10
Class change with a Second Seal into another base class and level to 10 again (and again)
Promote with Master Seal and level to 15 (once you have all base class skills that you want)
Class change with a Second Seal into another promoted class and level to 15

Am I reading these mechanics right?

Class changing with a Second Seal into base classes won't increase your Cumulative Level at all? Or at most by one level? However, on Hard mode, class changing with a Second Seal to a promoted class three times will cap out your Cumulative Level?

Sallokin

yZc82Nv.jpg

FUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUU!

I love this game.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
So at what level is it worth it to use a master seal on a character? Should you level a base character to 20 before promoting them to maximize stat gains, or is that not how the system works?

Do I have to worry about Chrom accidentally standing next to other girls if I'm trying to get him together with Olivia? Or am I fine as long as I don't do a conversation with them to get them to C?

Mr. Fix

Do I have to worry about Chrom accidentally standing next to other girls if I'm trying to get him together with Olivia? Or am I fine as long as I don't do a conversation with them to get them to C?

There can be as many A ranked pairings among those listed in the support menu. Just don't view the S rank conversation if you don't want pairs getting married.

There can be as many A ranked pairings among those listed in the support menu. Just don't view the S rank conversation if you don't want pairs getting married.

Yeah but specifically for Chrom, don't you only have a short time to be able to match him with Olivia?

I am apparently too indecisive to start a new game. I can't decide whether it's more important that the girl character straight up has better options or if I should pick my own gender. The online aspect complicates things.

Prax

Yes, avoid getting ANY points with all other possible girls (Sumia, Sully, Maribelle, Avatar) except Lissa unless you marry all those other girls off (have them S class with other dudes) before you reach chapter 11.

Mr. Fix

With Olivia yes you have to have no support points at all since the highest you can pull off with Olivia before the event is a C

It caps at C? I figured running through the DLC 2 times boosts it up by one.

That's painful bro...

I don't even know how it happened. Donnel takes on the Lord position right now. Dude capped out in everything except magic and res at the end of his mercenary life. I only got him to a level 10 villager before changing him.

It caps at C? I figured running through the DLC 2 times boosts it up by one.

I don't even know how it happened. Donnel takes on the Lord position right now. Dude capped out in everything except magic and res at the end of his mercenary life. I only got him to a level 10 villager before changing him.

The reason ehy the highest support u can get with her for chrom is capped at C before the event is because she joins in chapter
and you will not have the opportunity to grind out any more support till after the event hence why Olivia's support at that time can not go any higher than a c

Also vaikes and the avatars supports are funny

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I think I'm gonna abuse L'Arachel's spot pass mission. Only three enemies and gives some decent exp to my promoted units.

Midou

All I know is that this game is about a farmer kid who joins the army and becomes the hero the world needs, single-turn killing most end-game bosses while healing himself with most counter-hits.

So here's the thing, can you actually GET C in a battle with Olivia, or are you not able to, and thus you have to rely only on the "hidden" amount of points before upgrading? Also, I guess as long as I'm not seeing conversation options available for Chrom, I'm still okay, as it shows he doesn't have enough points for C yet with them...

Edit: Or maybe it'll just be easier to grind up the other girls' pairs and make sure they are married off...

So here's the thing, can you actually GET C in a battle with Olivia, or are you not able to, and thus you have to rely only on the "hidden" amount of points before upgrading? Also, I guess as long as I'm not seeing conversation options available for Chrom, I'm still okay, as it shows he doesn't have enough points for C yet with them...

U have to rely on the hidden points hence why it's diffcult snagging Olivia for chrom unless planned really well

Mr. Fix

The reason ehy the highest support u can get with her for chrom is capped at C before the event is because she joins in chapter
and you will not have the opportunity to grind out any more support till after the event hence why Olivia's support at that time can not go any higher than a c

Also vaikes and the avatars supports are funny

I thought it was because Chrom gets married right after the chapter you get her, so you can't go through the DLC

Ah. Damn though, that'd mean you're limited to pairing Chrom up with male units beforehand and keeping them mostly distant from the female units. Though I still can't help but pair him up with Sumia, even on this 2nd run.

All I know is that this game is about a farmer kid who joins the army and becomes the hero the world needs, single-turn killing most end-game bosses while healing himself with most counter-hits.

That very same farmer boy also ended up marrying the woman from the city, Sully. Worlds collide!

Ah. Damn though, that'd mean you're limited to pairing Chrom up with male units beforehand and keeping them mostly distant from the female units. Though I still can't help but pair him up with Sumia, even on this 2nd run.

Same I always feel like they have to be together or some asinine reason plus
Cynthia
gets aether and that's just awesome :p

Busaiku

So I just beat Chapter 9, didn't save or anything yet.
Does the choice affect the outcome? I chose "No", and Emm killed herself.

Really surprised they let that happen though.
I mean, I guess it's ok though, but still.

I love all the UI tweaks and options in this game. They did a great job on that front. The interface is really defined.

Also, maybe it's just because I'm playing on Hard, but the AI is acting a bit differently then I'm used to. In particular, meatshielding with Frederick on the first few levels wasn't too effective. In some of the previous ones, the AI would be a high priority on a unit if they had no weapon, so unequipping your "Jeigan" (although I guess we don't call them that anymore), and having them tank the damage was always pretty effective. They seemed to ignore Frederick in the first couple of levels this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom