• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roto13

I also like that you can have as many as you want, sure it kind of makes it easier to pair up with lots of people, but I don't want to miss out on the conversations and need to read them online or do more playthroughs. The S-rank ones are incentive for future playthroughs too.

I like that there's a gallery of them you can complete and reread whenever. :p

So...what's up with the Barracks? With the Support conversations, I know they're prompted by support roles in the field, but when what triggers the relationships and random goodie finds in the barracks?

Nothing. It's random. The longer you leave it alone, the more stuff will build up in the barracks. This feature was introduced in FE12.

batbeg

Should I be changing the class of my units once I'm past level 10? Most of my units are 12-15 but I haven't done out of fear that there's some incentive to stay the course.

I see this was on the last page. I guess I should be reclassing.

Ri'Orius

What's a cavalier's weakness? I see a horse head; does that mean any horse riding class?

The horse head on the Cavalier's stat page says that he's a mounted unit, and weapons that are good against mounted units will feature the same icon. So bows will have a pegasus icon, as will pegasus riders, etc.

fusionedd

Neo Member
What's a cavalier's weakness? I see a horse head; does that mean any horse riding class?

I'll refer to the stats window to answer your question as effectively as I can.

The icons on the top right of the status window is what the unit is. For example, Stahl has a horse head.

Weapons also have their own icons. If the weapon has a horse head, like the rapier, next to its durability, it does extra damage to a unit with a horse head.

Edit: Beaten :O

Ken

So are units always weak to the same type that they are? For example, Sumia has a horse head and pegasus icon in her status page. Does that mean she's a mounted unit and a pegasus knight and also weak to both those types.

So do we know how chapter MVPs are decided? I'm pretty certain it's not who got the most kills, or the most EXP. Maybe it's who got into the most fights, or did the most damage, or something.

So are units always weak to the same type that they are? For example, Sumia has a horse head and pegasus icon in her status page. Does that mean she's a mounted unit and a pegasus knight and also weak to both those types.

She has the symbol for Pegasus unit and Beast unit, which means she's weak to weapons that kill Pegasus units and Beast units. Which in this case would be arrows and beast-slayer weapons. A character with an Armor symbol would be weak to weapons that kill armored classes.

Ken

So do we know how chapter MVPs are decided? I'm pretty certain it's not who got the most kills, or the most EXP. Maybe it's who got into the most fights, or did the most damage, or something.

She has the symbol for Pegasus unit and Beast unit, which means she's weak to weapons that kill Pegasus units and Beast units. Which in this case would be arrows and beast-slayer weapons. A character with an Armor symbol would be weak to weapons that kill armored classes.

:eek:

So unit types themselves have nothing to do with weaknesses? Just the weapons? So Sumia isn't weak to beast units themselves but anyone with a weapon strong against beast units.

Moonlight

Banned
You're misinterpreting, unit types are weak to certain weapon types. Sumia will always be weak to bows. It's just that when you select a bow, it tells you it's more effective against beast riders than other weapons (represented by the horse head).

so I know have two save files(Sumia has to find a rebound ass now.....sorry gurl)....

this game man. Destroying my life. OCD to the max.

Loving every minute of this shit.

I hope this sell really well...This game is litteraly making the 3ds worth it by itself. I enjoyed KI and Mario3D but this right here?

Perfection.

ohlawd

So unit types themselves have nothing to do with weaknesses? Just the weapons? So Sumia isn't weak to beast units themselves but anyone with a weapon strong against beast units.

Don't forget skills like Beastbane (Taguel) and Wyrmbane (Manakete). Those are strong against beast and dragon units respectively.

Forkball

If you look at a weapon, it may have a symbol beside it, which means it will do extra damage to any unit that has that symbol under weaknesses. Attacking is not based on unit type but on the weapon.

Uh, I think you have it. Sumia is a beast unit and a pegasus unit. And weapons that are designed to be effective against those types will kill her. It doesn't matter what unit type your enemy is, only what weapons they're using.

Jachaos

Just finished the game. Oh my god. This has been soooooo good so far, and I still got a few paralogues to go through on top of DLC and Spotpass. Music : incredible. Simply awesome. I'm currently listening to the soundtrack in the extras. The endgame music is perfect. The story is great, I like how it's wrapped up if
you choose to kill the fell dragon with your avatar. The way Chrom and Lissa pick you up like right at the beginning but now there's no mark on your hand, as you killed the dragon, and instead Chrom says it's over now (he didn't say this in the original cutscene right ?)

Also, the support conversations are great, emotive, funny, the gameplay is top-notch, visuals are great, I'm so happy with this game so far. And it's definitely not in the 15-20 hours range IMO. Unless you play Normal-Casual and rush it without doing any Paralogues or DLC, maybe. But I've got 32 hours on the in-game clock playing Hard-Classic and I still have Paralogues remaining, tons of Support convos left, etc. Plus I bet it's more 35-40ish since I restarted quite a bit in a couple of chapters. I guess if I try it on Lunatic or Lunatic+, this could end up being a dozen hours longer easily, and then tie Radiant Dawn in length. I suspect this will remain my GOTY for a long time, if not all year.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Not sure whether to make Virion a Sniper or Bow Knight..

I went Bow Knight, he may not be one shotting everything in sight but he's always in range if I ever need an extra hit to finish someone off. So basically it comes down to play style.

Thinking of starting a new game in Hard mode. Is it essentially required to have your character choose a mate? Trying to decide if I should play as a girl this time.

Sallokin

Finally, FINALLY got my copy today. Up to Chapter 3 and so far so good. Already really digging the writing/story. I was actually most surprised at how great the 3-D is.

Is there a time limit on when I should have all the women married to make sure I get all the kids?

I have two left before chapter 13 and I feel like I remember reading that it is a turning point.

Midou

Kind of hope next game is more politics than
dragons.
FE9/10 were a cool WW2-esque setup(except for last part of Radiant Dawn at least). I did like the
time travel
stuff in Awakening, but I don't feel they did much with it. The reveal in chapter 13 was the peek of the story for me. All the other twists felt a bit forced. They also never really
spent much time wondering about Validar being My Unit's father or his own clone.
I get there were more important matters, but still felt odd.

Still liked it a lot overall though.

Midou

Is there a time limit on when I should have all the women married to make sure I get all the kids?

I have two left before chapter 13 and I feel like I remember reading that it is a turning point.

You will unlock the paralogues to get the kids after chapter 13, but they won't unlock unless you have that S-rank. You don't need to worry about skill inheritance and stuff until you actually enter the paralogue though. You're free to marry them and get whatever skills whenever you want though, even after Ch 13.

You will unlock the paralogues to get the kids after chapter 13, but they won't unlock unless you have that S-rank. You don't need to worry about skill inheritance and stuff until you actually enter the paralogue though. You're free to marry them and get whatever skills whenever you want though, even after Ch 13.
Thank you. I figured as much, but since I save over every save file routinely, I have nothing to go back to if I was wrong!

So this game has become more than an addiction for me. For three nights, I've woken up from dreams revolving around new strategies and things I could do. And I can't sleep again until I've fired it up and tried them out.

I'm so tired, but this game is so good....

Doorman

the fuck, Sumia can barely pair up with anyone, they really want her to be with chrom eh?

Who did y'all pair her up with?

In my file, I didn't want to pair her with Chrom almost strictly because the game seemed to be pushing it so obviously, and I didn't particularly want her with my avatar, either. Still, her early level ups for me have been pretty good and I can see her being a pretty viable unit for me, so I also didn't want to pair her with Frederick, who will probably sit on the sidelines now and forever more.

So...basically out of sheer process of elimination, I'm working her up with Gaius for now. I'm hoping that with their combination of speed nothing will hit them...which better be the case given how frail they both are right now.

So this game has become more than an addiction for me. For three nights, I've woken up from dreams revolving around new strategies and things I could do. And I can't sleep again until I've fired it up and tried them out.

I'm so tired, but this game is so good....

We should start a FireEmblem Anonymous.

"Hello, My name is Knux-Future...and I am an addict"

the fuck, Sumia can barely pair up with anyone, they really want her to be with chrom eh?

Who did y'all pair her up with?

As stated previously, I paired her with Chrom. But I didn't really like the conversations.

So I paired Chrom with my Avatar/MU which made more sense to me
His sister just died and my avatar just gave him a big "I'm be there for you bro" speech...plus it would be awkward that a married man would be adventuring with another woman if the begining cutsecene is anything to go buy....just me tho. I got a special cut scene for it (did not for Sumia) so i'm at peace with it. Fredrick will have to do for her right now....sorry

This was one part of the game that I thought I would just do whatever since I'm not a romantic person (I actually usually hate any romance stuff in my fiction....no real/good reason) but here I am...planning shit out...not based on stats but on "this seems to be a good/weird match". I'm exactly going for obvious choices but it needs to be right...

I almost had a Sully/Donny...match..yeeeeaaah.

TWILT

Banned
Love the way Gaius proposes lol (to Olivia at least).
Putting the ring in a slice of pie is reeaaal smooth.

friz898

Please don't kill me for not reading 58 pages of posts!

But.

Coup..er...BUNCH of questions as I learn this game.

1 .Currently I have two clerics. Mirabelle and Lissa. I'm at Chapter 6.

Can they not heal themselves, only others?

2. How long does Frederick stay like a Final Fantasy Tactics TG Cid type character. I almost feel dirty using him, and stupid if I do not.

3. Should I be doing anything right now to make my own classes or get more skills? I guess I only get classes/jobs of the people who are given to my party. And nobody seems to get more skills, and they have them all equipped already, it's almost as if I didn't even need to know it existed.

4. I'm finally starting to want to spend money and I noticed my 5000 starter gold hasn't risen. What do you do to earn money in this game? Should I be selling lots of stuff?

5. Am I seeing correctly there is no armor in this game?

6. Will I eventually be able to get horses or mounts for all characters?

7. I've been ignoring the pairup option. Is this a big deal? I like playing it where everybody takes care of themselves.

I think that's all for now, and that was more questions than I realized I had. I'm not having a hard time, but I'm playing on Normal Casual so... and this isnt far from my first tactics/SRPG game.

Thanks for any help! Great awesome game!

2. How long does Frederick stay like a Final Fantasy Tactics TG Cid type character. I almost feel dirty using him, and stupid if I do not.
3. Should I be doing anything right now to make my own classes or get more skills? I guess I only get classes/jobs of the people who are given to my party. And nobody seems to get more skills, and they have them all equipped already, it's almost as if I didn't even need to know it existed.
4. I'm finally starting to want to spend money and I noticed my 5000 starter gold hasn't risen. What do you do to earn money in this game? Should I be selling lots of stuff?
7. I've been ignoring the pairup option. Is this a big deal? I like playing it where everybody takes care of themselves.

1. I believe there are some staves you find via event tiles and such that can allow the healers to heal themselves but normally no, they can only heal others via staves.
2. Once you start having units promote is a good time to use Frederick.
3. You earn skills via leveling up, for base classes it'll be at level 10.
4. Sell bullions that drop via enemies.
5. Your HP and def stat is your armor.
6. Mounts are defendant on the class.
7. Supports help a lot in this game just from the passive bonuses it gives and the potential follow up attack and defense. While you don't need to pair up units, sticking them next to each other builds up supports as well.

emb

But.

I think that's all for now, and that was more questions than I realized I had. I'm not having a hard time, but I'm playing on Normal Casual so... and this isnt far from my first tactics/SRPG game.

1. They can't heal themselves. You have two though, so you can use one to heal the other. I usually just give healing items to the healers just in case.

2. Just take away his weapon and use him as a shield. In most FE games, using that character can make things way more difficult later on. These games are usually all about funneling experience to the right places, though that's a little less true now with the world map and such.

3. You get skills at 1 and 10 for base classes, 5 and 15 for advanced classes. You can use second seals to switch between base classes, and master seals to change to an advanced class. You want to level up as much as you can, but as far as I can tell, you can switch as much as you want. So no need to go all the way to 20 every time.

4. You'll find gold bullions all over the place as you go on. Money can be tight at first, so do be a little careful.

5. Right. Defense is just a stat, class and maybe sometimes weapons will affect it. Some classes are considered to be heavily armored, and armorslayers and stuff will work well against them.

6. Probably not all. The only to get a mount for a character is to switch or promote them to a mounted class.

7. You want to have units fight while adjacent or paired up at least a little to get support levels up. But once those are established don't worry about it. You don't need to actually use the pair up option for that, so it's however you can manage.

But.

1. I believe they can only heal others with their heal staff, but I think they can use an item (vulnary?) to heal themselves?

2. The thing about Frederick is that he's already a promoted class. Think of him like he is level 21 instead of level 1. That's why he's so amazing. The problem is that if you abuse him, you are wasting experience that your other characters can be getting. (I would completely ignore him and simply pair him up with another unit to give them a big stat boost)

3. For classes, there isn't anything you can do until you get master and secondary seals. Master seals "promote" the character to a higher level class and secondaries change a character to a new class. The characters start in predefined classes, but have differing amounts of other classes they can change to with secondary seals. As for skills, you get new ones at lvl 10 for regular classes, and at lvls 5 and 15 for promoted classes.

4. You get items called bullions from enemies that are used to sell and make money. I would start with selling them before you start getting rid of items.

5. No armor I'm pretty sure

6. Mounts aren't a thing characters can "get" per say. They are basically part of classes. Certain classes naturally are on mounts and they only way to get a mount is to change to one of those classes.

7. Pair up is cool and should be used when needed. It gives great stat boosts to characters, as well as allows a slower character to move down the field better by being paired up with a bigger character. Remember, you can always switch which character is the lead. Also, if you have a weak character that you dont want killed, pair them up and put them behind someone and they wont be able to be attacked.

Hope this helps!

Doorman

1. Correct, they cannot heal themselves. Boy wouldn't that make life convenient? :p

2. Frederick begins the game as a promoted unit, basically already a class above everyone else you get in your party for a long while. In the long run, he'll start to get outclassed by other units with better growth, so early on most people tend to treat him as a "last resort" because he won't gain much experience from fighting low-level enemies.

3. Skills are gained as characters level up through whatever class they are. Non-promoted classes gain skills at level 1 (which is why most units already have at least one skill when you receive them) and level 10. Promoted units gain skills at 5 and 15.
Eventually, you'll get "seals" that you can use to promote units to more powerful versions of their current class, or set them down a completely different class entirely.

4. Money is mostly earned by selling gold Bullion, which you gain in skirmishes and such. Or you could sell other items I suppose, if you don't think you'll ever use them.

5. No equippable armor or the like, no.

6. Whether or not a character is mounted depends on their class. I don't know off the top of my head if ALL units are capable of changing into a mounted class at some point, but many are. Just be aware that being mounted isn't always an advantage depending on the terrain you have to deal with.

7. Pairing up has its advantages (improved stats, more reliable support building) and its disadvantages (artificially "limits" the number of units you have to attack with, in particular). How to best use it is up to you, though I hear it becomes especially important at higher difficulties.

Edit: Beaten like a level 1 Donnel, hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom