• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT| Lord of the RNG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just learned what the children system really entails(it's easy to spoil myself now...since the story isn't exaclty difficult to guess).

welp...good thing I don't have a life.

Gotta catch em all (well most)

chrono01

Thank you for this. I've been dwelling on how to level my characters ever since seeing the aforementioned gamefaqs post .

Basically, in order to maximize skill gain:
Level character's initial base class to 10 (or 20 for extra stats, it won't harm your internal lvl)
Promote with Master Seal and level to 15 (or 20 again, it won't harm your internal lvl yet)
Class change with a Second Seal into another base class and level to 10
Class change with a Second Seal into another base class and level to 10 again (and again)
Promote with Master Seal and level to 15 (once you have all base class skills that you want)
Class change with a Second Seal into another promoted class and level to 15

Am I reading these mechanics right?

Class changing with a Second Seal into base classes won't increase your Cumulative Level at all? Or at most by one level? However, on Hard mode, class changing with a Second Seal to a promoted class three times will cap out your Cumulative Level?

In order to maximize the gaining of Skills, I would recommend:

- Level your Unit in their initial Class up to 10 [or 15 for Donnel]
- Use a Second Class Seal to switch to another Base Class
- Do the same as the above, and Level to 10 [for the second Skill]
- Repeat the process as needed until you have the Skills of the Base Classes you require
- Level to 20, and then use a Master Seal to Promote your Unit
- Level to 15 in the Promoted Class to learn each second Skill, and then use a Second Class/Master Seal to switch to another Promoted Class
- Do as needed until your happy with your Skills, and then stay with the Promoted Class you chose

The above would ensure that you're able to learn all of the Skills in the Base Class level without the XP decrease associated with the Promotion Classes.

XP gain would likely decrease a bit over time, even just focusing on Base Classes [since Cumulative Levels are affected by using Second Class Seals], but not nearly as fast as if you Promtoed straight to a Promotion Class after hitting Level 15/20, and then back to a Base Class.

FSLink

Banned
Do I take a lot away from the experience playing casual? First Fire Emblem game for me.

Not a lot but there's definitely more danger knowing that if you put a unit somewhere and they die, it has much bigger consequence (reset chapter or lose that character forever).
I'd say try the first few chapters on Classic and if it's still too difficult, reset and do it on Casual.

cjkeats

I love that the kids hair colour differs depending on the parent. It's the little things like that, that make me love this game so much.
The support conversations with them are amazing.

Also, I've bred a monster (Maybe spoilers for some?)

FSLink

Banned
I love that the kids hair colour differs depending on the parent. It's the little things like that, that make me love this game so much.

Is there somewhere that has pictures of all the kids with different hair colors?
Also...just got to Chapter 10. THE MUSIC.

gah it's too early to choose a wife for my guy, half the characters in the support screen aren't even gotten yet :(

How are the latter half prepromoted characters in this? I tend to not really care about them in the other games.

Quick question. Trying out Paralogue 6, will
Inigo always get Rightful King for a skill?
I set Chrom's last skill to be Aether, but that isn't one of them.

Quick question. Trying out Paralogue 6, will
Inigo always get Rightful King for a skill?
I set Chrom's last skill to be Aether, but that isn't one of them.

If it is a male child, Chrom will always pass down Rightful King to him. Chrom will always pass down Aether to his female child.

Do I take a lot away from the experience playing casual? First Fire Emblem game for me.

Depends. Do you have any plans to reset if you lose a character anyway? If so, play casual and have fun.

I have played the past 5 FE games and i found casual to be a godsend considering my semi OCD nature.

Is there somewhere that has pictures of all the kids with different hair colors?
Also...just got to Chapter 10. THE MUSIC.
Yessss. You mean the music that's playing just before the battle, right? I just played through that tonight. I was hoping it would keep playing after you start the fight and disappointed it did not. So good though.

Aquila

In order to maximize the gaining of Skills, I would recommend:

- Level your Unit in their initial Class up to 10 [or 15 for Donnel]
- Use a Second Class Seal to switch to another Base Class
- Do the same as the above, and Level to 10 [for the second Skill]
- Repeat the process as needed until you have the Skills of the Base Classes you require
- Level to 20, and then use a Master Seal to Promote your Unit
- Level to 15 in the Promoted Class to learn each second Skill, and then use a Second Class/Master Seal to switch to another Promoted Class
- Do as needed until your happy with your Skills, and then stay with the Promoted Class you chose

The above would ensure that you're able to learn all of the Skills in the Base Class level without the XP decrease associated with the Promotion Classes.

XP gain would likely decrease a bit over time, even just focusing on Base Classes [since Cumulative Levels are affected by using Second Class Seals], but not nearly as fast as if you Promtoed straight to a Promotion Class after hitting Level 15/20, and then back to a Base Class.

Alright, that makes sense to me. Just getting one Promotion Class early on for some fun skills is a fair trade off for slightly slower XP gain.

Doorman

Hooray, I got my first marraige! Faster than I expected, too. I guess now I'll get to watch them beast the hell out of stuff together from now on.

So congrats to Stahl and Miriel, their support chain has been very amusing and pairing them up has made for a very nicely-versatile unit on the battlefield. I only wish I could get Stahl's defense a little higher...

vall03

damn, getting children characters means I need to grind again. Now trying to get Galeforce on Morgan, Noire and Kjelle. Oh well, once I get Galeforce on them, the rest of the game will be a breeze!

After 6 chapters of Hard Classic, I've changed my mind yet again and decided upon Lunatic Casual.

At this rate I'm never gonna finish the game lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Are Dancers even worth the time for this? It seems like having one more badass promoted guy on the field is more 'productive'.

Getting a strong pair of units an extra turn can be a god send. It requires a bit more planning though, but getting your best combo another turn is worth it.

Mr. Fix

Heh the one problem I always have with SRPG that let you have so many members: Who do I take?

Xq1r877.jpg

Only the best of the best.

Anteo

He said
Radiant Dawn
in my game . Is it random?

So I just got the bundle today (brand spanking new 3DS yay!) and I've been playing this for the last several hours. Having played every FE released in America (except the very first one released on the GBA because I couldn't ever find it used after I got into FE...got Sacred Stones though) I have to say I think Awakening is my favorite so far.

- I love the pairing system. It's really useful so far, especially for ferrying slow units across the map. I don't have a tendency to pair people up as much for battle unless I'm taking on the boss or needing to level up a weaker character, but when I do it's very useful. Since it adds a whole new layer of strategy to the game I have to say I'm impressed with the innovation and addition.

- I thought I wasn't going to enjoy having a player character/avatar, but the fact that they give the player character personality and make them interesting has already drawn me in and I love my character already.

- I'm playing on Hard/Classic and it's quite challenging, but not extremely difficult if you know Fire Emblem tactics. I got too overzealous and lost a unit on the first chapter...the first chapter! And yet it wasn't frustrating, I realized I'd put myself in a terrible position and restarted the battle. The difficulty is good, and I'm on Chapter 4 now and no enemies have yet to feel cheap.

- I enjoy the extra additional battles they've put in as well.

Overall I'm really enjoying the game and I think paying $200 for the 3DS and just this game is well worth it. The only thing I'm missing now is my Myrmidon. It's always been my favorite FE unit, and I know it's early so I haven't reached it yet, but dammit. Give me my speedy sword master!

EDIT: Oh, and one opinion I forgot: I'm still getting used to the Dual system where the people next to you help you in the battle. Too many times to count already I've been softening up a unit so a low-level character can get the killing blow and all the EXP, and the partner jumps in and finishes off the enemy instead. Whoops. Oh well, it's fun and adds more depth and strategy, so I'll eventually get used to it.

Clasic FE unit that starts super weak but has a really high potential, some times even higher than the main cast.

He requires a ton of babying, has low stat caps, limited class selection, and you have to use a second seal just to get him into a decent class (which makes him level slower). His use seems to peak mid-game, and I wonder if it's really worth the effort when you could put that time into building a character with better late game potential. I wonder how painful it is to even level him on lunatic, he's probably not worth it at all there.

Anteo

He requires a ton of babying, has low stat caps, and you have to use a second seal just to get him into a decent class (which makes him level slower). His use seems to peak mid-game, and I wonder if it's really worth the effort when you could put that time into building a character with better late game potential. I wonder how painful it is to even level him on lunatic, he's probably not worth it at all there.

Agreed, he doesn't look like a good unit for lunatic, but right now in my Hard game he is great to have in case of an emergency. I use him to intercept enemy reinforcements while the main group goes for the objective.

TWILT

Banned
Overall I'm really enjoying the game and I think paying $200 for the 3DS and just this game is well worth it. The only thing I'm missing now is my Myrmidon. It's always been my favorite FE unit, and I know it's early so I haven't reached it yet, but dammit. Give me my speedy sword master!

Oh don't worry; you get one after chapter 4.

Note: He's pretty awesome.

OceanBlue

Wow, I had Kellam die on me one mission and thought that his death speech was really depressing at the time because of how it picked on his big negative trait. Now I just had Sumia die and her's is depressing too.

He requires a ton of babying, has low stat caps, limited class selection, and you have to use a second seal just to get him into a decent class (which makes him level slower). His use seems to peak mid-game, and I wonder if it's really worth the effort when you could put that time into building a character with better late game potential. I wonder how painful it is to even level him on lunatic, he's probably not worth it at all there.
His offspring can reap all the benefits of his skills without all the handholding and limited class selection. I'm gonna level him up just enough to get his skills and S rank him and then it's too the bench with Donnel.

Im new to FE games, right now im doing what i need to do to get no perma deaths. Is this the type of game where at some point I gotta let someone die? Or can I make it till the end with everyone?

Ken

Chrom accidentally one shotted
Gaius
on enemy turn. Sniff.

Is there a way to choose what action to do when being attacked, like defending and not attacking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom