• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia gets new character art and gameplay clips

jackal27

Banned
From official website: before and after
2779633602.png

161412ed51.png

I am so hyped for this game. I have this weird nostalgia for it because I used to play it on emulators as a kid.

Love the character designs.

SoldnerKei

I really love Kozaki's art, but I am really digging these interpretations by Hidari, I mean, I really liked her art in the Atelier Dusk series, didn't know I would want it on a Fire Emblem game till I saw it lol.

Really looking forward to this game.

Lusankya

I never played the original, but are all female characters going to be Clerics and Mages?

Edit: Nevermind. Just saw a video and there was a female Cavalier.

PK Gaming

The game is definitely looking better

I was worried about the tile for tile remake for some of the maps (and that might still be a thing), but from a production standpoint, there's some clear effort going into this

Zalman

The jump in character design quality between the original and this one is huge. Comparing Alm and Celica is night and day. Up there with Pit and Palutena as some of the best redesigns ever.

Marz

Man May is so far, my og 2011 3ds can't hold a charge unless it's plugged in anymore so i think it's time for an upgrade.

This art isn't classic Fe at all, it's much better than classic Fe.
The jump in character design quality between the original and this one is huge. Comparing Alm and Celica is night and day. Up there with Pit and Palutena as some of the best redesigns ever.

Indeed.

I'm not super thrilled about the concept of playing through Gaiden's mediocre maps again (amongst other things), but the characters redesigns are awesome. I quite like (most of) the art in Awakening and Fates, fwiw.

PBalfredo

I'm liking the art but no weapon triangle has me worried. If they're just updating the visuals but not the clunky old NES gameplay then this is just going to be Shadow Dragon 2 :(

Shengar

Hidari and his art is the gift that keeps on giving.
Can't wait for Echoes version of Genealogy.

I think the art is substantially worse than those of Awakening and Fates, but that's okay because it's cool to try new things :)

Also because I'm really on board with the game's existence I feel very charitable!!

lshUo9F.gif

I'm liking the art but no weapon triangle has me worried. If they're just updating the visuals but not the clunky old NES gameplay then this is just going to be Shadow Dragon 2 :(
I believe they said that Terrain plays a factor in this game instead of the weapon triangle. Think Advance Wars when it comes to this. When you have terrain advantage you will more than likely do more damage or take less damage in defense.

Lusankya

I believe they said that Terrain plays a factor in this game instead of the weapon triangle. Think Advance Wars when it comes to this. When you have terrain advantage you will more than likely do more damage or take less damage in defense.

Yeah, also units still have traits like "Armored" and probably take more/less damage from specific sources because of that.

Some of those villagers look nothing like the originals, but I really like the redesigns. Especially Grey and Boey.

Faye is an all new female villager, right? Pretty cool

The villagers never looked like much of anything in the first place. All they had were those poor drawn sprite portraits and no official art or media of them.

I think the art is substantially worse than those of Awakening and Fates, but that's okay because it's cool to try new things :)

Also because I'm really on board with the game's existence I feel very charitable!!

I actually like the art. Nothing beats the tellius series though

1upsuper

These character designs are great. As much as I like the older FEs, I think the art in Awakening, Fates, and now SoV is leaps and bounds better than anything pre-FE 6.

It really is kind of amazing how far the series has come that we're getting a remake of Gaiden of all things with production values this high.

Top Bottom