• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

Spoilers for Alm act 4, someone seems to have dropped the big book of JRPG cliches on the map.
So Zeke's defining trait, despite being a competent general, is that he has amnesia and remembers nothing before washing up on the shore umpteen years ago. What a toothless 'revelation' compared to the more interesting back stories of the relationship between Clive, Forsyth and the original deliverance crew. I'm not really sure why I'm supposed to care about such a backstory when it has no impact on anything, as far as his loyalty to the Emperor is concerned he could have just said 'I'm a Knight and won't betray my country' for a plausible excuse not to immediately defect without some typically-ludicrous memory loss. His other half is also really bad at cooking. What is it with FE characters and their crap culinary skills, do they all have zero points in any skill other than stabbing people, I wouldn't be surprised if a fighter said he's crap at tying shoelaces next.
Do they just pull these tired character traits out of a hat or something? Were they like that in the original game or is this a half-hearted attempt at fleshing out the supporting cast?

You might learn more about
Zeke
if you play Marth's games. Actually you're expected to have played them before playing Gaiden, so I can see his shtick not making a lot of sense if you haven't.
As for the cooking thing, it's just a terrible "lol women being shit at cooking is so funny because women are supposed to be good at cooking!" anime "joke". It wasn't in the original game as far as I can remember.

ryseing

Unit variety is a serious problem, particularly on Celica's route. It's the middle of act 4 and I just now got a mounted unit. Saber/Kamui have been my MVPs since they're the only ones that can fight both archers and Terrors.

Alm's route is a little better since
Delthea
comes to remedy the lack of magic.

She's so adorable BTW. Just like Nino who I also love.

redcrayon

Zeke
if you play Marth's games. Actually you're expected to have played them before playing Gaiden, so I can see his shtick not making a lot of sense if you haven't.
As for the cooking thing, it's just a terrible "lol women being shit at cooking is so funny because women are supposed to be good at cooking!" anime "joke".
Hmm, I played Shadow Dragon on DS, but don't remember him at all, it was ages ago though. I just find such simplistic characterisation a really poor use of space considering the interlinking back stories of the various Deliverance nobles and firm friendships of the original villagers. 'She's a scatterbrain and can't cook!' seems poor for the lover of a general who is also a high-ranking priestess, a few minutes thought could have both added depth and offered an insight into what either means in the northern country.

So I now have 11 people on Alms team, any suggestions on who to drop? Forsyth and Python both seem cool...

Is anyone ultimately a waste to build up?

Edit: oh, nvm, I guess you can have more than 10 people in battles?

Xenoflare

So I now have 11 people on Alms team, any suggestions on who to drop? Forsyth and Python both seem cool...

Is anyone ultimately a waste to build up?

Edit: oh, nvm, I guess you can have more than 10 people in battles?

You can have your entire squad on deployment for world map battles, you can only select 10 units in total in dungeons. Eventually your top 10 is going to leave the benched units in their trails

RRockman

Banned
Zeke
As for the cooking thing, it's just a terrible "lol women being shit at cooking is so funny because women are supposed to be good at cooking!" anime "joke". It wasn't in the original game as far as I can remember.

Had no idea
Zeke(or should I say Camus) was another FE 1 cameo untill I saw your post. The Pegasi sisters surprised the crap out of me too, but I must of forgotten about them both. It's actually kinda cool they managed to sneak in some returning characters in gaiden. What's really neat is they don't pull any punches either, even though they are present in sequels they don't withdraw or dissappear, they straight up DIE if you screw up. I almost wish FE had a save import system to we see the ramifications of their deaths.

Also RIP Nyna. You never had a chance

You can have your entire squad on deployment for world map battles, you can only select 10 units in total in dungeons. Eventually your top 10 is going to leave the benched units in their trails

Ah okay, then I guess my original question still stands, anyone specific generally dead weight on Alm's squad that I should drop?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I was ecstatic to get
Zeke
as
Camus
was by far my favorite character in FE1/Shadow Dragon. His voice is a bit older sounding than I imagined but still fits.

I should play the New Mystery of the Emblem translation when I finish this.

Golnei

Tatiana's design would be fantastic if it wasn't for the boob cups

To the bench with you

It looks bizarre - like she's wearing a coconut bra over a sweater.

Meanwhile, Mathilda is a fantastic example of how to design tasteful breast-accentuating armour.

Chase17

So how long is Duma's tower.

I goofed and let Celica died on like the 4th floor and haven't tried it again yet.

So much longer than any other dungeon crawling segment.

Edit: Made it. It's four floors.

R0ckman

Celica's voice actress is amazing, was impressed with one line where she says Jedah is completely mad, you can feel the disturbance of the revelation causing her voice to shake.

Just did the first mission where I had to fight a Cantor.

Only way I managed was by hitting him from 3 range with Leon/Mae/Boey because he would have destroyed anyone he could actually hit.

Genny's Invoke was useful for keeping the Terrors at bay for a bit and putting a couple hits on the Cantor.

Fuck Cantors until I can get someone with good RES who can hopefully solo them.

redcrayon

Just did the first mission where I had to fight a Cantor.

Only way I managed was by hitting him from 3 range with Leon/Mae/Boey because he would have destroyed anyone he could actually hit.

Genny's Invoke was useful for keeping the Terrors at bay for a bit and putting a couple hits on the Cantor.

Fuck Cantors until I can get someone with good RES who can hopefully solo them.
Later on, your saints (cleric promotion) get an ability
where they can banish multiple Terrors at once,
it's awesome. After playing half a dozen FE games it's rare for an ability to make me go 'woah!' :D

PK Gaming

Things are really heating up in Act 4. The lead up to
Celica's confrontation with Duma/Mila
is hella exciting. Each map is more and more challenging, (though nothing a fully powered Celica + Bow Knight can't handle). It's too bad that she'll
inevitably get kidnapped and have to be saved by Alm only to sacrifice herself later on. Sheesh

Ull learn to appreciate her by the finale trust me

Fortify, right? Can't say no to that...

Chase17

I'm not sure I could have handled the Rudolph fight normally without any losses. Just warped someone up for the quick KO lol.

Ninferno

I was ecstatic to get
Zeke
as
Camus
was by far my favorite character in FE1/Shadow Dragon. His voice is a bit older sounding than I imagined but still fits.

I should play the New Mystery of the Emblem translation when I finish this.

Do it. New Mystery is a great game that addresses most of Shadow Dragon's issues really well. It's real shame it wasn't released outside of Japan. Going back to NMotE might be difficult after SoV but the games have different strengths.

RRockman

Banned
On the final battle now and wow.

The plot hits you like a freight train as everything comes together.
Berkut killing Rinea and using her soul as Duma food was very henious, Ferdinand getting a hold of himself as he lay dying, The in battle portrait art for Rinea was also chilling. I'm pretty sure she wanted to die and Hidari's art sold that really well. Alm being forced to murder his last suviving kin is incredibly cruel, especially right before he had to "kill" Celica.

The best part is nothing about these turn of events are really novel on their own, but EVERYTHING, from the art, the music, and the voices came together for something truly special. I want this FE to be adapted sooooooo bad.

The only things that dampen the greatness is Rinea actually coming back to Berkut as a ghost. I'mean going to go ahead and belive it's Berkut's dying dream cause he did NOT deserve that and Celica's goofiness in general in the last two acts.

Roman

On the final battle now and wow.

The plot hits you like a freight train as everything comes together.
Berkut killing Rinea and using her soul as Duma food was very henious, Ferdinand getting a hold of himself as he lay dying, The in battle portrait art for Rinea was also chilling. I'm pretty sure she wanted to die and Hidari's art sold that really well. Alm being forced to murder his last suviving kin is incredibly cruel, especially right before he had to "kill" Celica.

The best part is nothing about these turn of events are really novel on their own, but EVERYTHING, from the art, the music, and the voices came together for something truly special. I want this FE to be adapted sooooooo bad.

The only things that dampen the greatness is Rinea actually coming back to Berkut as a ghost. I'mean going to go ahead and belive it's Berkut's dying dream cause he did NOT deserve that and Celica's goofiness in general in the last two acts.

I agree with the parts you mention being great, but found the rest of the finale rather weak - it basically devolved into a collection of tired JRPG tropes. Some of them are completely new additions that make it even worse than the original to me, especially
the Falchion magically restoring Celica's soul even though Duma already consumed it and it wasn't in vicinity at all. I found it also pretty dumb that Jedah left the Falchion, Mila, Alm and Celica in the same room, giving them exactly all the tools they needed to win.

All of these were new additions and only worked out because the writers made it work out - it felt extremely contrived and convenient.

Dee Dee

Desert + Thick forest maps

Welcome to Fire Emblem Gaiden.

Let me just flood half the map with toxic swamp and put up a fortress full of archers and cantors in one corner.
Also, the rest of the ground is desert, where you can only move 1 square.
The cantors summons nothing but witches.
Enjoy.

Edit: Non-rant content added:

I got through the weird forest to Sage's Village with Celica - but there seems to be no altar until Duma Tower to reclass my units with promotions - should I head back? Yikes.
On Alm's side I am in the mountain shrine.
Nothing like getting ambushed by 12 mages with your 10-man army selection of everyone with the crappest RES values! (Was going to bring them to the altar for promotion...)
I decided not to take on both gates in the trial of power - Mila warned me of the "Gate of the Living". The other gate netted me a shadow sword. meh. What am I missing from the "Gate of the Living" part?

redcrayon

Let me just flood half the map with toxic swamp and put up a fortress full of archers and cantors in one corner.
Also, the rest of the ground is desert, where you can only move 1 square.
The cantors summons nothing but witches.
Enjoy.

I got through the weird forest to Sage's Village with Celica - but there seems to be no altar until Duma Tower to reclass my units with promotions - should I head back? Yikes.
Nothing like getting ambushed by 12 mages with your 10-man army selection of everyone with the crappest RES values! (Was going to bring them to the altar for promotion...)
I decided not to take on both gates in the trial of power - Mila warned me of the "Gate of the Living". The other gate netted me a shadow sword. meh. What am I missing from the "Gate of the Living" part?
There's an altar in the forest, on the western side. It's only a 20 second run from the village.

Gate of the Living -
I think it was a choice between a blessed-shield and silver shield. I went for the blessed shield for the hp regen on a caster.

Roman

As the post above points out there is a Mila Shrine in the Lost W̶o̶o̶d̶s Treescape.

The Gate of the Living leads you to some amazing treasures,
including the Hexlock Shield, Speed Ring and Blessed Shield/Bow.

Well I'm a bit unsure about how I feel (Celica act 4 plot)
about Conrad essentially being a knight in shining armour to free Celica from whatever spell she was under. Undermines Celica a bit.

There was a Mila shrine in the The Lost Treescape in FE Gaiden so there still be one in Echoes. I only just got to that section but it seems to be different from Gaiden which was more akin to the lost woods screen in the legend of zelda.

Edit: How did I miss that it was already answered several times, eh?

Roman

Well I'm a bit unsure about how I feel (Celica act 4 plot)
about Conrad essentially being a knight in shining armour to free Celica from whatever spell she was under. Undermines Celica a bit.

They have deliberately added multiple scenes that
turn her into a damsel in distress
just to introduce this character and this is
practically where Conrad's contribution to the story ends entirely. He adds absolutely nothing from here.
The scene with Dolth you are describing was by far the worst of these for me since he was already defeated and cornered and Celica was going to throw her life away for no apparent reason, while also shouting at her party that nobody understands her feelings.

It's awful, and it gets a lot worse from there.

RRockman

Banned
I agree with the parts you mention being great, but found the rest of the finale rather weak - it basically devolved into a collection of tired JRPG tropes. Some of them are completely new additions that make it even worse than the original to me, especially
the Falchion magically restoring Celica's soul even though Duma already consumed it and it wasn't in vicinity at all. I found it also pretty dumb that Jedah left the Falchion, Mila, Alm and Celica in the same room, giving them exactly all the tools they needed to win.

All of these were new additions and only worked out because the writers made it work out - it felt extremely contrived and convenient.

Thinking about it after the heat of the moment you are absolutely correct and the most dissapointing part for me is to that the game became
The Legend of Celica, Since she was kinda removed from play and Alm gets ALL of the agency. I wanted something where the rise up and fight together other than the final map too, like those Alm only treasure rooms should have been done with them both.

Wait is that why Alm is left handed in this version?
Is this a Zelda game in disguise? :O

Roman

Thinking about it after the heat of the moment you are absolutely correct and the most dissapointing part for me is to that the game became
The Legend of Celica, Since she was kinda removed from play and Alm gets ALL of the agency. I wanted something where the rise up and fight together other than the final map too, like those Alm only treasure rooms should have been done with them both.

Wait is that why Alm is left handed in this version?
Is this a Zelda game in disguise? :O

It's a general problem that a lot of players are starting to pick up on. The game tries to
depict that the best solution is balance between the ideals of Mila and Duma, but this doesn't fit into how the story works out at all. Alm, being the representative of Rigel and therefore Duma's ideal, is too kindhearted, funny, jovial, humble, and never makes meaningful mistakes. Rigel itself is not as coldhearted as presented at the beginning of the story. Rigel Village is full of friendly inhabitants that immediately welcome you as their hero, and Rudolf is a kind and just ruler to his people. There is also no visible corruption when you look at Rudolf's close confidants like Massena and Mycen himself. In addition, Halcyon and Tatiana show you that not all members of the Duma church are Faithful extremists.

Meanwhile Zofia is a mess, there is corruption everywhere and King Lima is a lazy, entitled, weak rapist fool. If you view the memory prism with Duma and Mila, it was actually Duma who made the peaceful suggestion of splitting up their lands and not interfering with each other, while Mila offered no solution. He seemed a lot more reasonable and smarter. In the end, he also turned out to be completely correct about what Mila's ideals would turn to. Duma was correct about everything, and in the end his own ideals were used by the protagonists to win - they became strong and bested him in battle. All Mila contributed was plot induced magic, and her representative made such asinine choices she had to apologize to Alm multiple times. The intended narrative balance is completely broken.

Chase17

Finished the first fight of act 5. Liked what they did with that character well enough though it got a little weird at the end.

Wonder if I can finish Act 5 today.

redcrayon

It's all gone a bit Damsel Emblem now. Barely a moment goes by without a girl/woman needing rescuing. So far we've had one character's daughter, another's sister, two more lovers and even
one army leader
. I'm expecting someone's great Aunt to be taken hostage by skeletons next. Even if they are a tough-as-nails
paladin or warrior priestess
it's no defence. How the baddies captured
Matilda
and not the distinctly weaker Clive is beyond me. Considering that in-universe, the women are just as badass at being generals, knights and mages as the guys, it seems weirdly old-fashioned to have this constant plea of 'butbutbut what's even worse is that it's a poor woman/girl that's been kidnapped/brainwashed/lost'. Could it really not have been one bloke in trouble, at one point?

Roman

Could it really not have been one bloke in trouble, at one point?

There is (Act 3 Celica)
Jesse
, who ironically tried and failed to save
Est

But I do want to point out that (Alm Act 1-4)
literally all the female members of Alm's group had to be rescued.

Faye was rescued in the prologue.

PK Gaming

It's all gone a bit Damsel Emblem now. Barely a moment goes by without a girl/woman needing rescuing. So far we've had one character's daughter, another's sister, two more lovers and even
one army leader
. I'm expecting someone's great Aunt to be taken hostage by skeletons next. Even if they are a tough-as-nails
Matilda
and not the distinctly weaker Clive is beyond me. Considering that in-universe, the women are just as badass at being generals, knights and mages as the guys, it seems weirdly old-fashioned to have this constant plea of 'butbutbut what's even worse is that it's a poor woman/girl that's been kidnapped/brainwashed/lost'. Could it really not have been one bloke in trouble, at one point?

That's what I've been saying! It's incredibly dissonant, because you know this garbage was in the original Gaiden, but they had to carry it over because you know, faithful remake and all.

one army leader
Matilda

Arguably if it were only the
Matilda
case, I'd say that makes sense deliberately capturing the best warrior they an who just happened to be female.

Shame it's not just that one time. Some of the sidequests have unnamed captured males, but it's not really the same...

Dee Dee

Post Act 3:

The worst part about
Mathilda
being captured is this image.

Posting it as a link, since spoiler tags don't hide embedded pictures on mobile, so click only if you finished Act 3:

http://imgur.com/a/sKaK8

What. The. Actual. Fuck.

Anura

I'm probably a little late to the discussion as I just got to the Duma tower but... Celica is a goddamn moron! Holy shit, how else did she expect that to go? I swear, up until now she was the one woman in the entire who we didn't need to rescue. This is getting silly.

Roman

I'm probably a little late to the discussion as I just got to the Duma tower but... Celica is a goddamn moron! Holy shit, how else did she expect that to go? I swear, up until now she was the one woman in the entire who we didn't need to rescue. This is getting silly.

Actually she kept getting rescued by (Act 1-4 spoilers)
Conrad.

What's worse is that those scenarios are all new additions.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
About to start this, should I do Normal or Hard mode? I've played a few Fire Emblem's and Advance Wars in the past.

PK Gaming

About to start this, should I do Normal or Hard mode? I've played a few Fire Emblem's and Advance Wars in the past.

That depends

Do you want the game to push you to do your best, even if it potentially leads to more tedium? If so, choose Hard.

Do you want a breezy, straightforward experience with less tedium? If that's the case, choose Normal.

Top Bottom