• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: I finally finished Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. (spoilers)

Hylian7

I had been quite excited for the game since it was announced, as I had heard how much of a black sheep Gaiden was and was curious about that game. I really liked the art style they used for the game immediately, but I'll talk more about that in a minute.

I got a chance to preorder the special edition of the game (the one in the nice huge box with the artbook, soundtrack, Alm, Celica, and Marth pins, etc.) I also got the Alm and Celica amiibo. I got it and played it and really enjoyed it. I got pretty far in, then some Switch games came out and those interrupted it for me, then I picked it back up again and tried to finish it before Metroid Samus Returns came out, but just got to the last dungeon and wasn't able to finish it in time. However I was distracted by Samus Returns, then decided to play Super Metroid on my 3DS again, and now I got back to SoV.

I finished Act 5 today, thus beating the game. For those that don't know, there are a total of six acts, but Act 6 is a bonus one that was not in the original game. I never played Gaiden myself. I knew some things about the game, and learned more talking to a friend that played it, comparing it to my experience in SoV.

First of all, let's start with the presentation. Hands down, Shadows of Valentia has THE BEST presentation in the entire franchise. Full stop. The art style has a neat look to it that kind of harkens back to the GBA FE games, but honestly even improved from that. It is a major departure from the Fire Emblem Fates characters, particularly in fates all of them had very poofy hair, and the women were all dressed up like "waifu" characters. Echoes has no romance and children mechanics, and honestly I think that was for the better. Granted it wouldn't have really worked here as the original was not made with it in mind. The character designs were really cool, and you can also see how they are a HUGE improvement on the originals. Granted, the original artwork wasn't particularly great, but here's an example:

latest

latest

The difference is quite jarring, and every other character has the same stark comparisions. I really hope that this art style is used on future FE games, because it was fantastic.

The music has also honestly set this game very high as far as soundtrack go. I had heard the Smash Bros. rendition of "With Mila's Divine Protection", and then hearing this game's....wow. It absolutely blew the Smash one out of the water. Alm's map 1 theme was excellent too, and quite memorable. I know I have found myself whistling both of those, as they're quite memorable. The skirmish music, which used the same tune, with different instrumentation whether you're on Alm's or Celica's side, was also extremely catchy. I have found myself whistling that one all the damn time. Even though it's so repetitive, it just works! Having the different instrumentation of it for Alm and Celica was neat though, and then having a kind of conglomerate of both renditions for Act 5 was a nice touch. Overall I really loved the music from this game, and after listening to some of these tunes in the original, I think Gaiden/SoV's soundtrack is criminally underrated.

Another aspect of the presentation I wanted to discuss was the localization and voice acting. I know Fates got a lot of crap for it's localization, and Awakening's was pretty good. Fates I did not play and cannot really speak for. However I felt like this one was really well done, and the voice acting was even pretty good! The full voice acting I was unsure of how that would go, and honestly it was pulled off quite well here. The anime cutscenes were also really pretty.

The combat animations were also really great and detailed. Definitely the best ones in the 3D games. When characters swing swords, blades of grass get cut, the critical hit animations are great, as well as the killing blow animations.

The storyline wasn't anything groundbreaking, and some of it kind of predictable, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless. The support conversations were also pretty great, and felt more dignified in this game than the ones in Awakening did. There isn't any romance outside the canon romance, and that in this game was handled quite well. How they set up the romance between Gray and Clair was pretty neat, since it involved having him talk to different characters about it. There was one I particularly liked that was kind of an interesting snapshot of the modern FE games vs the old ones. In the support conversations between Alm and Faye (she is a new character apparently). Faye is absolutely obsessed with Alm, and confesses her love for him in the A rank support conversation with Alm, but Alm says something along the lines of how he doesn't really have time for that, and doesn't feel the same way about her. It kind of felt like "old_fe_vs_modern_fe.jpg" in a way. And even that was handled pretty well! Faye was presented as a character of that type, and then they did something different with her.

Gaiden is notorious for it's gameplay though. It made a lot of weird departures from what we know the series for today. No weapon triangle, many archers have more than 2 spaces of attack range, magic uses HP, one item that doesn't break, the list goes on. Some of these mechanics have come back to a degree later on, such as open maps and monsters, and others haven't and I would like to see come back. One I want to see again, and perhaps more fleshed out is dungeons. I really enjoyed the idea of them being a JRPG type of dungeon with the battles being FE style. The dungeon battles were typically pretty short, but the nice thing was that if you could sneak around an enemy or run away, you can just do that! Talking to my friend that played the original, he said that battles in dungeons were not avoidable, you just got into battles when you hit certain rooms. I think having characters persist with the same HP in a dungeon after battles wouldn't really work in Fire Emblem, so I think the fatigue system is pretty good. It gives you a reason to carry all the food/healing supplies around so you can keep your characters in good shape.

I felt like Archers/Snipers/Bow Knights were a lot more useful in this game than they have been in most of the series. My Python in particular was a god. Leon was good for a while too, but I'm not really sure what happened to him when I made him a Bow Knight, as he fell off hard then. The reusable weapons was a neat idea, having them being special effects, or ways to acquire skills. Early on I gave Celica the Blessed Sword and she was absolutely destroying fools with it. In fact I would say my Celica was probably one of my best characters. I thought the characters on both sides were good, Boey was a little disappointing, but Mae was very useful. Kliff was also pretty good (made him a Sage). Also from what I understood, most people made Faye a Cleric, I made her a Pegasus Knight and she was actually pretty good as that.

Probably the absolute worst aspect of this game, and I heard it was even worse in Gaiden too, were the map designs. This game has some downright bad map designs, and yet somehow, they didn't completely ruin the game for me. The absolute worst offenders were the maps with a ton of dead space between you and enemies (and having three of your units start away from the rest for some reason) where you couldn't see any combat in turn 1, and the ones that had a huge 1-space wide corridor. One of the worst ones I remember was the sluice gate map on Alm's side, as it was almost nothing but 1-space wide corridors, so you could only have 1, maybe 2 ranged units covering whoever was in front. The first time I attempted that chapter, Delthea ended up dying because I couldn't get away from her as there was nowhere to go. The second time I just used one unit as a decoy to chase while I finished the map with everyone else. I don't know what they were thinking with some of these maps.

From what I understand, Berkut was a new character, and his storyline was really neat! The way they played up the rivalry between him and Alm, having Alm face him mutliple times throughout the game, was nice, then the big showdown against him and Rinea at the end (on a much better designed map) was a challenge, but also a fair one. Speaking of challenges, I didn't hate Cantors and Witches as much as most people did. The first couple of maps I saw Witches in, they caught me off guard and killed someone, but I learned how to deal with them fairly quickly, and they were fairly weak and usually couldn't kill whoever they went after. They were annoying and unpredictable, no doubt, but for some reason they felt manageable. Cantors, I get the hate for, but honestly they were a lot more fair than reinforcements that were not telegraphed at all. Most of the enemies Cantors summoned were pretty easy to kill, but they took up a lot of space and slowed your progress. I'm in the minority on this, but I actually liked the poison swamp maps, as you really had to plan between Cantor summons so you could get your units through the swamp as quickly as possible. The mechanic of flyers being able to fly over castle walls and open gates was also neat, and I don't think that's been anywhere else in the series. Like I said before though, the worst ones were the dead space maps, and the 1-wide corridor maps.

One problem that the series has had ever since inception was the RNG and permadeath. Most people (myself included) restart the chapter if a character dies. Sometimes, that's due to getting critted by something with a 1% chance of Critical Hit. Maybe you fucked up and were so far into the chapter. Mila's Turnwheel was a nice solution to this problem. It's not to the point where it ruins the game like casual mode, and is actually balanced since it has the limited uses. If you're screwing up all the time, you're going to run out of cogs fast. I think it's the most useful on the absolute bullshit RNG crits that you couldn't really do anything to prepare for. Crits should still be in the game, as you would want to stay away from an enemy that has something like a 30% chance to crit you, but getting critted by a 1 or 2% chance is pretty bullshit. My only beef with Mila's Turnwheel is that it holds too many cogs (or uses). It allows you to hold up to 10, but I think that's overkill and it should be capped at 5. Also these cogs persist per map, so if you use a ton of them in one map, they're gone permanently.

Talking to my friend that played the original, he was telling me how he hated that the final boss had that Earthquake ability that damaged everyone on the whole map. I asked him if they telegraphed it, and he said that was the whole reason he hated it. Duma actually telegraphs it in this game, which was a neat change they made and makes it much more fair! I'm curious to learn what other changes like this were made to make the game better.

I finished Act 5, and am currently playing Act 6 (I like that it connects to Archanea). Overall I would actually put SoV in the upper tier of FE games. This game has some annoying stuff, no doubt, but don't sleep on this one, you're really missing out. Compared to Shadow Dragon as a remake, THIS is how you remake a Fire Emblem game, and I hope IntSys takes that into consideration if they remake more games. I still think the theory that "Echoes" means it's a series of remakes is going to hold true, and would expect more at some point.

I want them to take the skill system from this game and really give it a fair shake. Make some tweaks and balancing like Fates did for Awakening. Presentation-wise, it's definitely the gold standard of the series so far which bodes well for FE switch given that they seem to be pursuing presentation in the vein of this game going by interviews (I do prefer Awakening and Fates style of CGI over SoV though so I hope that comes back). I have to praise the auto advance here as it's excellent, line reads are super smooth and transition extremely well.

I also rather liked the Rise of the Deliverance DLC for the character it added to Fernand and the other members prior to the beginning of the game. Plus, it has better scenarios than pretty much most the main game.

mdubs

Banned
I agree, love the way they did this. I enjoy this game more than Fates, thank you Intelligent Systems

It's absolutely amazing, for pretty much every point you listed.

I really want the Jugdral games to be Echoed like this. Or perhaps the Tellius ones, with various noninvasive additions and optional quality of life stuff.

I'm glad the map designs didn't ruin the game for you, because they kinda have for me (I bought the game on release and still have yet to finish it).

It's the one aspect of the game where it reveals its age and I feel they should've said "screw being faithful" and really shook things up. Those big, wide open maps with lots of dead space that you mentioned are just ridiculously unenjoyable.

I found the title to be mediocre. I had to force myself to finish it, which is the worst thing I can say about a game.

The reason for it were the dungeons with the encounters. Way too many battles and quickly became tedious. I even took my time with Echoes, took me a couple months to beat.

presentation was pretty good. Story isn't good in my opinion, just well presented. Voice acting is good, but some places were noticeably poor compare to the rest.

It has one of the best soundtracks in the series tho. You could argue the best. High praise as I see Fire Emblem as one of the series with a consistent great soundtrack.

All and all. I'm looking forward to other Echoes games. ( Roy's game and Fire Emblem 7 especially)

Edit: yeah, I actually loved Berkut's voice actor. He was great

Hylian7

I forgot to mention one other little detail I loved: On the last map, when you first select each unit, they sort of give their own individual little "charge!" speech. I thought that was a really cool detail.

Also, definitely echoing (no pun intended) the sentiment of Berkut's VA. He was great.

Griss

The game restored my faith in the people running this series after the disaster that was Fates. An outstanding remake.

The presentation is a big step up, but the game design has too many flaws that hurt the fun. I made this post in the OT shortly after beating the main story that described my thoughts.

I enjoyed my time overall, but the actual game part left a lot to be desired even with the quality of life improvements. This remake unfortunately preserved all of the things that made Gaiden disliked in the first place as a side effect of being faithful.

Echoes is not a bad game, but it doesn't rank very high for me compared to other entries. I expect the Switch game to be amazing since they can focus on refining the series' mechanics, presentation, and writing. That's what I'm looking forward to.

Gardios

Bar none, one of the worst SRPGs I've played in recent memory other than maybe Project X Zone 1.

I wouldn't have minded the much more simplistic gameplay if the maps were competently designed or had varied objectives to force me into not just approaching most maps fairly defensively(there's not much incentive to do otherwise barring Cantors). Unit variety sucks all around making encounters even more of a bore and the skill system is barely worth talking about outside of some comically OP skills.

Even the "interesting" parts of Echoes are too half-baked to be all that compelling. The fact that it has a fatigue system in place and spells now cost HP doesn't mean much in the long run when both of them are so easily circumvented and the dungeons neither long nor complex enough to remotely challenging.

The best thing I can say about Echoes is that I fairly enjoyed its overall presentation even if I thought the CG cutscenes looked way better in Awakening and Fates and was somewhat indifferent to the soundtrack. Too bad the great VA and dialogue couldn't save the story from being boring and predictable(Alm's side) or completely asinine(Celica's side).

The art, presentation,voice acting, and characters are all great. The gameplay had some good ideas too. The maps could have certainly been a lot better. A lot of them are just too big and the choke points are weird.
Infinitely spawning enemies should have never been a thing. My Slique became an invoke machine in the last battle, it didn't even feel good to win.

I wish it had more supports, having just one or two supports for a character was a let down.

I don't agree with the whole "old FE x new FE" thing. It's all Fire Emblem. Calling recent entries "anime" is ignoring things like how in the first game you already have a 1000-yo dragon girl calling the main protagonist onii-chan.

That said, SoV is really a good game, it's fun to play and unique. The dungeons are cool and presentation is great. I think it's funny you used the Gray/Clair support to say how much you like supports in this game because, honestly, that one is probably the one I dislike the most in the series (blaming Clair for the whole thing or implying she's a hysterical women). The main story with Rudolph makes no sense to me too, but at least it's better than Fates.

Hylian7

I don't agree with the whole "old FE x new FE" thing. It's all Fire Emblem. Calling recent entries "anime" is ignoring things like how in the first game you already have a 1000-yo dragon girl calling the main protagonist onii-chan
The main issue people had with Nowi was that you could have her marry and produce children with anyone, and it was kind of fucked up to have a fully grown man marry what looks like a 6-year old, then say "LOL I'M A 1000 YEAR OLD DRAGON". Her appearing that way wearing super skimpy clothes would make you think she was a character in a Vita game.

Tiki, while she did do the onii-chan thing, was not sexualized while still retaining the "1000 year old dragon" thing in a good way.

The main issue people had with Nowi was that you could have her marry and produce children with anyone, and it was kind of fucked up to have a fully grown man marry what looks like a 6-year old, then say "LOL I'M A 1000 YEAR OLD DRAGON". Her appearing that way wearing super skimpy clothes would make you think she was a character in a Vita game.

Tiki, while she did do the onii-chan thing, was not sexualized while still retaining the "1000 year old dragon" thing in a good way.

My point is that this is how the series is. They adapt to popular trends and make two to three games in the same style. FE1~3 is Wars x Dragon Quest, FE4~5 became war drama in a Lodoss War style, 6~8 toned down the drama and went for a more straightforward fantasy story, 9~10 games are Berserk, 11~12 is IntSys trying to go back to the roots and 13~14 goes for a more casual light novel approach and reviving/evolving concepts people liked in older entries like supports, childrens and being a sequel to Archanea series.

I do agree about the Nowi thing, but even though I like Tiki, she's basically a generic loli design of the time similar to characters like Ple from Gundam that were popularizing this whole imouto/loli culture.

As the "Kozaki era" of the 3DS entries ended, I expect the next games changing again. But Fire Emblem is always "anime" and full of tropes - we always had childhood friends, incest and characters were mostly teenagers to appeal to the players. I just want them to keep Hidari designs and give pants again to the female characters.

Semajer

What do the Fire Emblem amiibo do for this game?

The Smash Bros. ones summon that character as a phantom during battles. The Fire Emblem ones allow you to save your current Alm or Celica for summoning as a phantom at a later time, and also unlock a bonus dungeon each.

I found it average at best. Presentation wise it's top notch, but there is nothing other going on other than that. Dungeons are super bland, definitely the low point for me.

TannerDemoz

Really average game. Enjoyed the 'free-roaming' aspect if you can call it that, but I thought the maps were terrible and didn't enjoy any of the characters.

HOWEVER, the song playing during the last map is INCREDIBLE.

I thought it was really... eh. It was too tethered and faithful to an old game, and that made the maps in particular and the gameplay really not fun. I'm having significantly more fun destroying everything in my path with malig knights, spear fighters, ninjas, Xander/Ryoma on Fates Revalation right now, albeit I do agree that this game was quite elegant and impressive in its non-gameplay elements. I want to return to it and give it one more go but the last time I played was 15 minutes of my life wasted using boring units with boring weapons taking out other boring enemies on a map of nothing.

I do like the holding of one item that can be levelled up though, that was interesting.

Gambit

This presentation/character interaction etc + Conquest gameplay = My dream Fire Emblem

Echoes really was a lot of fun. I especially loved that characters would stay relevant after recruiting them. Also, personally I hope we can switch between different parties for the next game. You get to know and rely on a lot more characters this way. (One reason I loved Radiant Dawn so much)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I can't decide if I like it or Awakening more. Pretty much agree with the OP 100%.

KidB

From a story and character perspective this was a return to form for the series. Even though the story wasn’t exactly a masterpiece, it was presented very well especially compared to Awakening and the atrocity that was Fates’ “story”. It also has some of the best villains in the series. Berkut might be my favorite villain out of the games I’ve played.
However, the map design is for the most part terrible, it’s even worse than Awakening which I considered the low point in the series before in that regard. I liked the world map though.
All in all, I’d say that I liked it the most out of the 3DS games. I hope the Switch entry will have this one’s presenrltation combined with Fates’ map design. I also hope that we’ve seen the last of Waifu Wars.
Oh, let’s not forget the godly soundtrack, it’s in a league of its own compared to the rest of the series. The only games this year that surpass it in the music department are Nier Automata and Persona 5.

ryushe

Here's a copypasta of my thoughts from another forum I frequent:
The story, while predictable, was fantastically told. The characters (save for a very small handful) were all pretty much amazing, with Alm and Berkut as the games standouts and both the voice work and music are on another tier. Seriously, this is easily some of the best work done on the 3DS and then some.

That said, there are a few things from holding this game back from being the de facto Fire Emblem experience, namely the games map design/objectives. While not abysmal, most of the maps are just too large and uninteresting to navigate (looking at you swamp/desert maps). Also, most of the support conversations suck.

That said, this is still probably my favorite Fire Emblem to date and has some things I hope they bring into future titles (Dungeons, skills, archers that don't suck, etc.). While it doesn't have that "newness" that Awakening had when it came out, or the "mechanics" Fates had, IMO, this is the best package the series has had to date.

I immensely enjoyed my time with SoV and my fondness for it only grows as time goes on. Honestly, despite finishing and really enjoying Samus Returns, this game was the real swan song for the 3DS for me.

RaginRoss

I enjoyed it a lot.

I've only played a handful of Fire Emblem games - so i'm glad I went for Casual difficulty. That saved a lot of frustration with the teleporting & summoning enemies. That would have driven me insane on permadeath mode.

Only other real issue was losing control of Celica's team near the end, and not having the ability to level them up before the final battle(I think I could maybe have done some crazy backtracking before the final save point, but a wee goddess statue right before that door would have been nice).

Overall I enjoyed it pretty much and I wish some of the Gaiden-esque additions like the free roaming in the world map (with several routes and choices) and the exploration of dungeons and villages will stay in the franchise. I also liked the growth and ability system for the characters.

While the levels and traditional gameplay elements are quite flat (big, empty maps, always the same objective, not much variation of classes), specially compared with Fates, the fact that the missions are shorter and simpler gives the game a great pace; this is the first Fire Emblem I've had to force myself to stop playing during each session. The ideal thing would be finding the right balance between "serious" battles a la Fates and optional skirmishes that lead to dungeons and villages where getting better weapons and equipment.

I would also like to praise the dialogues and characters of this game. I was very tired of those gimmicky personalities from Awakening and Fates, the stupid flirting conversations and the insanely bad developed characters, and in Echoes there is a more serious tone and some awesome dialogues and heroes (Berkutt, Fernand, Clive, Mycen) that I've enjoyed a lot. The story isn't particularly great (in this series only Path of Radiance is) but it is well told and more universal thanks to the aristocracy-commoners debate and the politics plots between the kingdoms, kings and counselors. The game tries to be more than the usual dark dragon-god story and I really appreciate that.

I got hooked on this one and it’s since become one of my favourite Fire Emblem games, no doubt. I agree that the presentation and music are excellent and I found that the story kept me entertained right up to the end. I did not expect to enjoy the dungeon-crawling sequences, but by the end I actually looked forward to them as somewhat of a break from the typical FE formula. And Celica is just great.

In my opinion, one of the best experiences on 3DS and a must-play title for any Fire Emblem fan.

Oddish1

I'm about halfway through now, but based on that I'd have to say that it's the weakest of the 3DS games. The story isn't great, but it's carried by likeable characters and 8-4 did great work with the localization. The maps and gameplay aren't very enjoyable and other annoyances like the enemy that constantly spans more enemies but is on the other side of a very large map are grating. The dungeons were tedious and didn't really add much except some sneaking sections where you're occasionally punished by having to do more bad maps. It's not so bad that I want to drop it like I did with Shadow Dragon, but once I'm done I'll probably never play it again.

Hylian7

So those that played both SoV and Gaiden, what differences that probably slipped under the radar for most people did you notice? I'm talking about stuff such as Duma and that other boss that use the Earthquake spell that damages everyone on the map, the difference being in the original he doesn't telegraph it, and in SoV he telegraphs it the turn before.

Almost all your points is how I felt about the game OP. If they keep up the production values for Fire Emblem Switch including almost full voice acting it will be among the best of the Fire Emblem games. I would love if Hidari was coming back to do the art, but I am pretty sure it is the Awakening/Fates artist is doing FE Switch.

It has the best presentation and writing of the 3DS FE games for sure, and the unique aspects like weapon skills and the dungeon exploration were a nice change of pace. I did miss axe users and the weapon triangle, and the game relies a little too heavily on overwhelming you with the same unit type over and over again. You can tell it's an early entry in the series as map and enemy variety was NOT a priority. There are also some pretty poorly balanced elements, such as Dread Fighters being the best units in the game by far, they have virtually no downside. I do appreciate that archers are useful as a class this time around, they have mediocre stat growths but insane utility due to their huge range and ability to counter up close. Should be a mainstay for the series as far as I'm concerned. Armors still suck though.

Griss

What did you think was bad about Fates?

The following:

1. Breaking one game into three parts was unbelievably cynical and shitty. And it absolutely WAS one fucking game. The same start, the same characters, and the final version had the 'real ending'. One of the worst and most anti-consumer decisions Nintendo has ever made. I beat Birthright, played Conquest (and hated it), but never bought Revelations. Having watched it on youtube I absolutely feel like I missed out on the 'real' path of the game I had already bought. Such horseshit.

2. The story and characters in Fates were abysmal and made the game very difficult to enjoy. It's hard to overstate that I've played plenty of JRPGs and never encountered anything as irritating or poor quality as the writing in Fates. Corrin is my least favourite protag in RPG history - his idiocy defies description in Conquest.

3. The gameplay was way too overelaborate. Fire Emblem used to mostly be about moving your pieces around the board to the right spots, taking into account the enemy range and managing the weapon triangle. Each move did not take that much time, nor did a chapter/level. Now there's so much to micromanage that every move feels like a chore. On top of the weapon triangle and hit percentage, you have to take into account
-Enemy range
-Potential enemy dual attacks
-Enemy skills and percentage chance of skills
-How the enemies' skills would affect combat in a dual attack (could your characters be killed)
-Your range
-Your potential dual attacks
-Your skills
-How the skills would affect combat in a dual attack

It's way over elaborate and therefore no longer any fun. Also, the maps are too small and contained, usually with one gimmick that forces you to play it a certain way, and it feels like holding defensive map tiles is less important than ever before.

Echoes fixed basically every one of these issues. I loved it.

Thud

It was more fun than I had with Awakening and Fates.

I do think the 3DS holds back the 3D models. The rest of the visuals looked amazing in this artstyle. Soundtrack was so good. Yes, it still has the sucky maps and grindy grind like the original had, but I was enjoying myself. Didn't matter that much to me.

Piscus

The game restored my faith in the people running this series after the disaster that was Fates. An outstanding remake.

Wow, that's exactly how I feel. Nailed it.

Also, I think that's a big contributor to my lack of enthusiasm for Fire Emblem Warriors. There are so many characters in Fire Emblem lore. Why did they have to focus on Awakening and Fates, and the most boring characters from those entries, to boot??

Also, I think that's a big contributor to my lack of enthusiasm for Fire Emblem Warriors. There are so many characters in Fire Emblem lore. Why did they have to focus on Awakening and Fates, and the most boring characters from those entries, to boot??

Because those are the more popular games and those happen to be both the main characters and fairly popular.

Funny this attitude is one of the reasons I've yet to buy this game and I'm in no hurry to do so.

The following:

1. Breaking one game into three parts was unbelievably cynical and shitty. And it absolutely WAS one fucking game. The same start, the same characters, and the final version had the 'real ending'. One of the worst and most anti-consumer decisions Nintendo has ever made. I beat Birthright, played Conquest (and hated it), but never bought Revelations. Having watched it on youtube I absolutely feel like I missed out on the 'real' path of the game I had already bought. Such horseshit.

2. The story and characters in Fates were abysmal and made the game very difficult to enjoy. It's hard to overstate that I've played plenty of JRPGs and never encountered anything as irritating or poor quality as the writing in Fates. Corrin is my least favourite protag in RPG history - his idiocy defies description in Conquest.

3. The gameplay was way too overelaborate. Fire Emblem used to mostly be about moving your pieces around the board to the right spots, taking into account the enemy range and managing the weapon triangle. Each move did not take that much time, nor did a chapter/level. Now there's so much to micromanage that every move feels like a chore. On top of the weapon triangle and hit percentage, you have to take into account
-Enemy range
-Potential enemy dual attacks
-Enemy skills and percentage chance of skills
-How the enemies' skills would affect combat in a dual attack (could your characters be killed)
-Your range
-Your potential dual attacks
-Your skills
-How the skills would affect combat in a dual attack

It's way over elaborate and therefore no longer any fun. Also, the maps are too small and contained, usually with one gimmick that forces you to play it a certain way, and it feels like holding defensive map tiles is less important than ever before.

Echoes fixed basically every one of these issues. I loved it.
Totally agree with you on points 1 and 2, but not so much with 3. I can understand preferring less complicated Fire Emblem gameplay, but they did a fantastic job with the gameplay in Fates, especially combined with the map design of Conquest. The balance is insanely impressive, there is a lot to manage but once you get used to it, everything becomes second nature, and it is some of the best moment to moment tactical decision making of any SRPG. Echoes, by comparison, can be pretty wonky and unbalanced in its design.

You are on the money about the writing, plot, presentation, etc. though. Echoes is an insane improvement in those areas over Fates.

Reset

The following:

Lol... Conquest's ending was the worst. It was basically them giving you the middle finger and telling you to buy the other paths. It didn't even feel like a complete game.
And yeah the story was dumb and forgettable for all three games. The characters in the Birthright are also up there with Shadow Dragon being some of the most blandest/boring units that you get it with like one or two exceptions.

Hylian7

Regarding Warriors, I kind of felt the same way until they at least threw us a bone with Lyn and Celica. Glad they included those two, Celica in particular. Their whole argument was too many sword users, but Celica would have been interesting since she uses Magic too.

I do agree about Revelations. It should be "free DLC" to everyone that purchased Birthright or Conquest. Story being terrible I agree too, Corrin in Conquest and Azura are awful stupid characters, but in their defense: Celica and Rudolf are stupid in Echoes SoV too - but at least we have some great characters like Clive, Berkut and Fernand.

But I can't really agree about gameplay. It's good and I don't think it's overcomplex at all, it had the QoL improvements of Awakening, but with a better map design. But maybe I just enjoy gimmicks that much?
I like that Gaiden/SoV is different, but Cantor and the infinite enemy spawning is some of the worst things in all Fire Emblem.

Draxal

Ian Sinclair needs to be in the running for VA of the Year cause he slayed with Berkut

100% signed on this.

It has the best presentation and writing of the 3DS FE games for sure, and the unique aspects like weapon skills and the dungeon exploration were a nice change of pace. I did miss axe users and the weapon triangle, and the game relies a little too heavily on overwhelming you with the same unit type over and over again. You can tell it's an early entry in the series as map and enemy variety was NOT a priority. There are also some pretty poorly balanced elements, such as Dread Fighters being the best units in the game by far, they have virtually no downside. I do appreciate that archers are useful as a class this time around, they have mediocre stat growths but insane utility due to their huge range and ability to counter up close. Should be a mainstay for the series as far as I'm concerned. Armors still suck though.

Here's the other problem with SoV. The story additions made Celica's character worse, so I really can't say SoV ITSELF is the better story (Gaiden by itself is the better story), and SoV's story additions were mixed (the vn/phoenix wright style map mode were very welcome additions as were the memory prisms).

I'm still worried about FE Switch's story based on the additions to this game's story tbh.

NeonZ

The following:

Gameplay-wise, that's really not true. The number of maps, characters and classes you get with two routes of Fates definitely is significantly higher than what you'd see in a standalone Fire Emblem game.

However...

Storywise, that's actually very true and it was a cheap move on top of Fates' already problematic writing. The game leaves various unsolved plot points, and the Conquest and Birthright endings go out of their way to point out that the characters don't understand everything that happened and there are still mysteries left. Compare with Path of Radiance, which although leaving various open plot threads and unexplained mysteries for its sequel, ignores all that in its own ending sequence in order to give a satisfying ending for the players.

Griss

Totally agree with you on points 1 and 2, but not so much with 3. I can understand preferring less complicated Fire Emblem gameplay, but they did a fantastic job with the gameplay in Fates, especially combined with the map design of Conquest. The balance is insanely impressive, there is a lot to manage but once you get used to it, everything becomes second nature, and it is some of the best moment to moment tactical decision making of any SRPG. Echoes, by comparison, can be pretty wonky and unbalanced in its design.

You are on the money about the writing, plot, presentation, etc. though. Echoes is an insane improvement in those areas over Fates.

I do agree about Revelations. It should be "free DLC" to everyone that purchased Birthright or Conquest. Story being terrible I agree too, Corrin in Conquest and Azura are awful stupid characters, but in their defense: Celica and Rudolf are stupid in Echoes SoV too - but at least we have some great characters like Clive, Berkut and Fernand.

But I can't really agree about gameplay. It's good and I don't think it's overcomplex at all, it had the QoL improvements of Awakening, but with a better map design. But maybe I just enjoy gimmicks that much?
I like that Gaiden/SoV is different, but Cantor and the infinite enemy spawning is some of the worst things in all Fire Emblem.

I know that a lot of FE fans disagree with me on Fates' gameplay and I can see why if you like every in-game matchup to be like a proper RPG battle, or if you like building your characters like in an RPG. But for me the further Fire Emblem strays from straight up 'fantasy chess' the worse it is. I want it to be about moving pieces to the right spots, not mix-maxing characters for skills. Basically, I want as much of the RPG in the SRPG to be diminished and the S in the SRPG to be focused on.

Even in Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn which I loved utterly I was uncomfortable with the addition of skills to the gameplay. I just don't like that aspect of the game. Bring it back closer to an Advance Wars in medieval cosplay, please - that's what got me into the series. (And also where the FUCK is advance wars - the superior series)

Gameplay-wise, that's really not true. The number of maps, characters and classes you get with two routes of Fates definitely is significantly higher than what you'd see in a standalone Fire Emblem game.

However...

Storywise, that's actually very true and it was a cheap move on top of Fates' already problematic writing. The game leaves various unsolved plot points, and the Conquest and Birthright endings go out of their way to point out that the characters don't understand everything that happened and there are still mysteries left. Compare with Path of Radiance, which although leaving various open plot threads and unexplained mysteries for its sequel, ignores all that in its own ending sequence in order to give a satisfying ending for the players.

Well yeah 'each path has as much content as a normal Fire Emblem game' was the argument made by Nintendo, but it's a totally irrelevant one for the narrative reasons you set out. It is one story split in three, built on the same game engine with the same characters. It's absolutely one game, just one game that happens to be three times bigger than any previous game. That doesn't make the way they did things any worse, imo. They should have just... not made a game so ridiculously huge in service of a three-pronged narrative so ridiculously bad.

Top Bottom