• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates' localization doesn't have the petting minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.

FluxWaveZ

Let me answer you with my post from the other thread:

"Because the fact of the matter is, it IS just localization. However, in this case this instance of localization further infringes upon a historically oppressed minority.

So, even if this is just normal localization, it has now forced itself into a civil rights issue."

This minority has only very recently been able to see advancements in equality. So this is not a "censorship" issue. It's a localization and civil rights issue. The "petting" is only a localization issue. I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp for people.

But I agree with this. This isn't addressing the people (in this very thread) who state that content can be modified between regions to fit that target audience as a catch-all for any and all localization changes.

Something can be "localization" while also being a bigger issue. What I'm questioning is those who refute this, by calling out "localization, not censorship" as a justification for whatever the change is.

zhixson

Come on. No one in their right mind would argue that they're one and the same (the removal of drugging/petting vs. the removal of same-sex partnerships).

The removal of same-sex pairings is absolutely, without question, wrong. It's so wrong and offensively so that I truly have a hard time believing that rumor is true. Truly inconceivable to me.

Edit: And, I was right. It was just debunked.

You are correct. They aren't close to the same level.

That said, removal of content is removal of content and I personally find it to be quite irritating when I just want to play the complete package as originally intended (weird/perverse/stupid/silly as it may be) and a publisher starts making decisions regarding what is best for me and my children. I am their parent, not the publisher.

Very excited that the same sex partnerships remain intact, at least.

Hey I'm missing something, where/how was it confirmed fake?
I want it to be confirmed fake but I'm missing something. Could I get a source?

Someone in the other thread emailed Nintendo Italy and heard back from their PR manager, who said the original email (regarding removal of same-sex marriage) was fake and didn't even have the right address.

Dio

Banned
pretty sure petting a fictional animal is decidedly less creepy than petting what looks to be an underage kid

I would pet a Machamp with the swiftness

It's just taking the very, very common and very Japanese trope to game form:

tbbCrMp.jpg

It's not molestation, no.

It's creepy. That's why I said it's creepy.

But, I should edit that post so people don't think I'm defending the claims of molestation.

Throwing that word around is definitely a loaded gun.

--

It's good that the shitty rumor from Italy was fake,

Ah ok, yeah I thought you were defending it. My apologies.

patapuf

Abriael contacted Nintendo Italy PR dept and they confirmed it to be a fake.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=193455432#post193455432

It's pretty insane that for a split second it seemed like a reasonable rumor.

Eh, as soon as there was talk of an "italian" version it was iffy. That's never a thing.

I also can't remeber much censoring of gay marriage being done in european versions of games. Or any outrage about such things (in videogames).

It's not like other media with gay marriage is being censored in the EU.

It's pretty insane that for a split second it seemed like a reasonable rumor.

I didn't think it did. It made no sense PR wise, They'd lose more sales by removing it then they'd gain. The excuses given also weren't really excuses any company would actually use. Removing gay marriage from FE in Europe would have been an international PR disaster.

It happens a lot. A site might get some legit leaks, as it seems this site may have, but when the leaks stop, they start making stuff up to keep the attention.

Let me answer you with my post from the other thread:

"Because the fact of the matter is, it IS just localization. However, in this case this instance of localization further infringes upon a historically oppressed minority.

So, even if this is just normal localization, it has now forced itself into a civil rights issue."

This minority has only very recently been able to see advancements in equality. So this is not a "censorship" issue. It's a localization and civil rights issue. The "petting" is only a localization issue. I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp for people.

I'm not sure why it's so hard for people to grasp why people would be generally opposed to censorship as an abstract principle given its documented historical use as a tool of oppression / suppression (and generally with perfectly valid in the context of society at the times moral arguments). Generally to oppress the same groups they are now wielding it in the service of (not to mention their side of politics generally). It seems to be remarkably historically short sighted to me.

Dio

Banned
That doesn't make it any less creepy

What exactly is so creepy about it? It's not even gender specific or age specific in Fire Emblem Fates, even. It's just affectionate touching of someone's face who you are intimate enough with for it to not be creepy anymore.

The only way I'd see it being creepy is if you did it to someone you didn't know.

RpgN

When the game got announced and it became clear that they added more waifu bait material, I decided not to get it. Even though I love Fire Emblem games and didn't want to miss out on Fates.

With the removal of this and one where there is a drugged woman, I'm seriously reconsidering my stance and am thinking about getting the game now.

It still has questionable content and it is still a new style I'm not too happy with. But now it has become more easy to deal with. I appreciate the changes Nintendo is making to make the game more welcoming for certain fans.

Warxard

Banned
What exactly is so creepy about it? It's not even gender specific or age specific in Fire Emblem Fates, even. It's just affectionate touching of someone's face who you are intimate enough with for it to not be creepy anymore.

The only way I'd see it being creepy is if you did it to someone you didn't know.

Patting someone's cheek is affectionate. Someone's head like a fucking animal? nah breh

NotLiquid

Eh, as soon as there was talk of an "italian" version it was iffy. That's never a thing.

I also can't remeber much censoring of gay marriage being done in european versions of games. Or any outrage about such things (in videogames).

It's not like other media with gay marriage is being censored in the EU.

I didn't think it did. It made no sense PR wise, They'd lose more sales by removing it then they'd gain. The excuses given also weren't really excuses any company would actually use. Removing gay marriage from FE in Europe would have been an international PR disaster.

It happens a lot. A site might get some legit leaks, as it seems this site may have, but when the leaks stop, they start making stuff up to keep the attention.

I meant it less in the context of what was being censored specifically and more about the game itself as I recall Tamaki tweeted a long time ago that FE Fates was supposedly a whole mess of a localization process (something I imagine reflects on the Soleil rewrites and the petting minigame being completely removed). That and the fact that EU still doesn't even have a release date for the game made it all the more suspect that there could end up being even more regional differences.

Doombacon

most japanese tropes in media, especially anime are creepy

Alternatively, they are completely natural, depending on where you stand. Patting someone on the head for a job well done isn't some completely insane inhuman thing.

-Horizon-

most japanese tropes in media, especially anime are creepy
And that's your take on it. Not everyone else thinks the same. Hence why this thread is still going after thousands of posts.

The issue is that: yes, we understand some people may not like the mini game. There is no problem with that. Not everyone has to like everything in a game. It became an issue when it is a completely optional part of the game that is not mandatory, that actually has people who was looking forward to using it but now can't since its removed. And the fact that there are people who cheer on this move and put down others as "weirdos" for showing any remote interest in the feature. It might not be apparent but there have been a number of posts aimed at "anime fans" specifically.

I also feel like some people don't know the limits of the feature. As opposed to Pokemon amie, you can't 'rub' the whole body of the person. You are limited to above the neck line I think.
And also with the dialogue being 'lewd', that is something I don't think ANYONE has a problem with if it were to be changed but the mini game was still kept in.
Heck, I don't think people would have a problem if there was no actual voiced dialogue or if the rubbing was removed and they REPLACED it with some other method of play. Have some equal exchange at the least.

Mr Rivuz

After reading some comments i thought this was about touching asses and lifting skirts and shit like that, but it's just blushing faces? Don't see anything creepy about it, probably Nintendo removed it just to spend less money for the voice acting XD

Prax

After reading some comments i thought this was about touching asses and lifting skirts and shit like that, but it's just blushing faces? Don't see anything creepy about it, probably Nintendo removed it just to spend less money for the voice acting XD

Most of them make shy whimpering or imply you're touching them elsewheres or orgasm noises.
It weird man.

KoopaTheCasual

I'm not sure why it's so hard for people to grasp why people would be generally opposed to censorship as an abstract principle given its documented historical use as a tool of oppression / suppression (and generally with perfectly valid in the context of society at the times moral arguments). Generally to oppress the same groups they are now wielding it in the service of (not to mention their side of politics generally). It seems to be remarkably historically short sighted to me.
Honestly not trying to be a dick, but you're gonna have to run that by me and drop the forced wit, if you want me to give you an actual response and engage in discussion.

In your attempt at clever sarcasm you made some really awkwardly worded prhases and sentence fragments, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at other doubling down on the stance of "all censorship (read: localization) is bad"

Seik

Banned
It's just taking the very, very common and very Japanese trope to game form:

Yeah, though in kinda make sense in these kind of contexts, like a big brother with his sister, lovers, friends, etc.

Being in an army petting your fellow troop members feels a bit out of place though. :lol

Warxard

Banned
I rub my kids' faces and head in affection all the time. I'll gently rub my wife's cheek when we are sitting on the couch because I love her . She leans into it because she loves it. Am I a creep? Are we creeps?

Holy culture judgement, Batman.

I rub my fiance's cheek, but I never pet her head. That doesn't feel right to me.

Do you, man.

Alternatively, they are completely natural, depending on where you stand. Patting someone on the head for a job well done isn't some completely insane inhuman thing.

I never said it was inhuman lol. I just thought it was creepy.

Okay, so your argument is that patting someone on the head is degrading to them and is equating them to being an animal? I don't agree.

And that's okay.

And that's your take on it. Not everyone else thinks the same. Hence why this thread is still going after thousands of posts.

The issue is that: yes, we understand some people may not like the mini game. There is no problem with that. Not everyone has to like everything in a game. It became an issue when it is a completely optional part of the game that is not mandatory, that actually has people who was looking forward to using it but now can't since its removed. And the fact that there are people who cheer on this move and put down others as "weirdos" for showing any remote interest in the feature. It might not be apparent but there have been a number of posts aimed at "anime fans" specifically.

I also feel like some people don't know the limits of the feature. As opposed to Pokemon amie, you can't 'rub' the whole body of the person. You are limited to above the neck line I think.
And also with the dialogue being 'lewd', that is something I don't think ANYONE has a problem with if it were to be changed but the mini game was still kept in.

Heck, I don't think people would have a problem if there was no actual voiced dialogue or if the rubbing was removed and they REPLACED it with some other method of play. Have some equal exchange at the least.

I think you're weird if you're caping for this move to stay if you believe that it's on the principles of censorship. I'm sorry.

You make a valid, respectable argument. I'm still gonna think that shit is creepy.

Yeah, though in kinda make sense in these kind of contexts, like a big brother with his sister, etc.

Being in an army petting your fellow troop members is a bit out of place though. :lol
No dude don't you see

Stroking the face of your grown ass man of Butler and maid is totally the same thing as stroking the face of a younger kid

Why are you guys so mean to each other, geez.

People are very self-conscious and don't like to be judged.

No dude don't you see

Stroking the face of your grown ass man of Butler and maid is totally the same thing as stroking the face of a younger kid

The butler you picked off the street after he was going to be kicked out for totally sucking ass at being a butler. So much so that he devotes his entire life to you. Geez, why wasn't Jakob one of the elusive gay S-ranks?

redcrayon

Myrmidons are horrible because classical greek forces usually fought with spear and shield (hoplites), or sword and shield.

If we're going to throw out FE class names for not being accurate to actual historical units/titles/mythology, then we can also bin 'valkyrie' for mounted healer, 'general' for a senior foot knight, 'Bishop' for senior healer/light mage (and 'priest' for that matter), 'cavalier', 'monk', 'Berserker', 'pirate', 'ranger', sniper', 'troubadour' and several more.

I think an evocative name beats historical accuracy. Maybe they were just flicking through a list of unit titles for capable infantry and thought it sounded cool and a little exotic, in the same way that Knights, Ninjas and Samurai (and various PC royalty) in RPGs rarely act like their historical counterparts either.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The sheer fact these features exist in these games now have really turned me off from the series. Kind of ended for me after Path of Radiance/Dawn.

Unfortunately, as I gotten older the target for FE has gotten younger and it's harder to make the emotional connection to it for the time investment :(

zhixson

I rub my fiance's cheek, but I never pet her head. That doesn't feel right to me.

Do you, man.

Yeah. She even reciprocates. I'll be working at my computer and she'll rub my head as she walks by as an, "I love you," gesture. I've never once felt dehumanized or like an animal. In fact, I feel a comforting, wordless connection. Pretty nice, really.

EDIT: I just noticed you said "pat." No, no pats. You are correct that it would feel odd and is reserved for the children.

Yukiari

I can tell the difference.

It's just my thing. I'm not gonna pat nobody on the head.

As I understood it, the mini game was optional. You didn't even need to actually do it in the game if you didn't want to. So why are people so offended by it is what I'm wondering.

I'm not sure why people are surprised or really even upset as this is the western branch of Nintendo. They've always been an absolute shit show when it came to localizations or general content going all the way back to the 80's and 90's when they'd freak out over everything from religious imagery/references, alcohol/tobacco to violence. The only good thing now is that they don't allow that bullshit to touch third party games on their platforms. You just have to know that it is coming when it involves their own games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom