• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates' localization doesn't have the petting minigame

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warxard

Banned
Yeah. She even reciprocates. I'll be working at my computer and she'll rub my head as she walks by as an, "I love you," gesture. I've never once felt dehumanized or like an animal. In fact, I feel a comforting, wordless connection. Pretty nice, really.

That's good!

As I understood it, the mini game was optional. You didn't even need to actually do it in the game if you didn't want to. So why are people so offended by it is what I'm wondering.

people have preferences and would like to play games with fire emblem's aesthetic that doesn't have creepy shit in it

Hollycat

I'm usually against the removal of content, but this is something I would never use and it is legitimately a little creepy so I dont really care.

Obviously it's been confirmed fake already, but if there needed to be more evidence, for Smash Bros PR, Corrin is called Corrin in the European PR, not the name that fake email gave.

Yukiari

That's good!

people have preferences and would like to play games with fire emblem's aesthetic that doesn't have creepy shit in it

So it just comes down to ( I don't like it! So it shouldn't be there!) That;s not preference at all. Preference would mean just not going to that part of the game. If people were so committed to the this is CREEPY then maybe they should avoid the game overall. I mean it still exists in the Japanese version and it will probably exist in future FE games. I mean you're going to support a series that this is going to always exist in the original version of the game. Why would you support creepy shit at all. Oh right because you just can't see it anymore.

So it just comes down to ( I don't like it! So it shouldn't be there!) That;s not preference at all. Preference would mean just not going to that part of the game. If people were so committed to the this is CREEPY then maybe they should avoid the game overall. I mean it still exists in the Japanese version and it will probably exist in future FE games. I mean you're going to support a series that this is going to always exist int he original version of the game. Why would you support creepy shit at all. Oh right because you just can';t see it anymore.

I don't know, the petting thing didn't really raise much comments in Japan in terms of them liking it.

Marriage might remain though.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Okay, the other rumour is false, well good. Not surprised it came out of Italy though, which does not recognise any homosexual unions. Plausible, and the 180 from some was something.

Still not happy at Nintendo for cutting this game up. It was optional, it used the Live2D assets well (RIP), it had some character development, and some stat bonuses that will probably be redistributed poorly.

It should be noted that Nintendo has never been 100 percent comfortable with Intelligent Systems' direction since Awakening. How do we know? Tharja's trophy from the "ESRB leak" of Smash 3DS. Showed up in a supposed submission to a ratings board where all hidden characters were revealed, yet her trophy disappeared from all copies worldwide on game release.

sensui-tomo

The only thing i care about now (i'm not buying this as i'm importing ) is what they're gonna do with route 3/ Invisible kingdom , incest revelation.

Honestly not trying to be a dick, but you're gonna have to run that by me and drop the forced wit, if you want me to give you an actual response and engage in discussion.

In your attempt at clever sarcasm you made some really awkwardly worded prhases and sentence fragments, so I'm not really sure what you're getting at other doubling down on the stance of "all censorship (read: localization) is bad"

No forced wit or clever sarcasm there. Just mutual incomprehension.. I admit that I've been sarcastic before in this thread but I wasn't there. I don't generally try and force wit in any case, I'm terrible at pretty much everything but puns when I make an active effort to be funny. My awkward wording and sentence fragments probably have more to do with it being nearly 3 AM. But sure:

I'm not sure why it's so hard to grasp that some people would be generally opposed to censorship as an abstract principle. It has historically been used to oppress the very people that it's now being used in defense of (and also the entire left side of the political spectrum). And those instances of oppression had moral justifications that were as valid to the people making them as yours are to you. It seems like a remarkably short sighted position historically .

I'm not sure why people are surprised or really even upset as this is the western branch of Nintendo. They've always been an absolute shit show when it came to localizations or general content going all the way back to the 80's and 90's when they'd freak out over everything from religious imagery/references, alcohol/tobacco to violence. The only good thing now is that they don't allow that bullshit to touch third party games on their platforms. You just have to know that it is coming when it involves their own games.

Because there was a brief period where they (and the industry in general) seemed to be getting better about not totally butchering things for the Western release. But you're still right given that they've been super cautious again for a while, just in a different direction.

Warxard

Banned
So it just comes down to ( I don't like it! So it shouldn't be there!) That;s not preference at all. Preference would mean just not going to that part of the game. If people were so committed to the this is CREEPY then maybe they should avoid the game overall. I mean it still exists in the Japanese version and it will probably exist in future FE games. I mean you're going to support a series that this is going to always exist in the original version of the game. Why would you support creepy shit at all. Oh right because you just can't see it anymore.

Do you think people who thinks these things are creepy care about what's in a version that they can't play because the game is region locked? lol.

Fire Emblem was never as gratuituous with it's fanservice before Awakening happened.

We're going into a circle

So it just comes down to ( I don't like it! So it shouldn't be there!) That;s not preference at all. Preference would mean just not going to that part of the game. If people were so committed to the this is CREEPY then maybe they should avoid the game overall. I mean it still exists in the Japanese version and it will probably exist in future FE games. I mean you're going to support a series that this is going to always exist int he original version of the game. Why would you support creepy shit at all. Oh right because you just can';t see it anymore.

I mean hell, he's already seen it. He already knows all about it. I seriously don't get what positive there is in something that for all practical purposes is the exact same either way to him. Whether it remains in the game or not either way its only existence to him is the fact that it exists. Which is true whether or not the NA version keeps it.

I'm always disappointed when people applaud the removal of content.

I think that is the biggest problem I have here. People happy because something that was completely optional that other people wanted to do is being removed. I find it a bit weird and wasn't going to play the minigame other then for a laugh, but I still don't like the choice being removed for the people that did want it.

Verd254

Neo Member
I stroke my friend's faces all of the time. They even blush and coo

Cause that's totally a normal thing people do to each other

And this is the crux of the whole thing for me. Everyone against this is taking it WAY too seriously. I see it as this funny tongue in cheek sort of thing. It's only creepy if you put it in the wrong context.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
It's not even a Japanese thing.

yZ8UVxU.gif

Yeah no. That's not even remotely similar. Context matters a lot here. Patting someone on the head or back, friendly jab to the arm or scruffing up their hair is a kind of in the moment thing and super common and extremely brief. People do that all the time. Caressing a romantic partner's face or neck or the like is pretty common too when sitting together or during passing moments of playfulness. Somewhat common with younger children as well.

All that is a far cry from a military commander deliberately inviting a subordinate into their private chambers, alone, for the sole purpose of intently rubbing and caressing their head, face and upper body for an extended period of time and nothing else. That shit is weird in all cases. Most especially as a minigame within a game only there for you to improve your bond with them, even if meant to be lighthearted and goofy.

Why they couldn't have used something else like an actual minigame, or variety of mini-games, that you actually played with your subordinates as a bonding experience with them instead of awkward/inappropriate intimacy is certainly something I don't understand. It's the 3DS for god's sake their are dozen of quick simple puzzle games and the like they could have aped as a sort of quick and easy proxy for Chess or Checker or Go to simulate you and your soldiers spending time together and bonding.

I still don't agree with it being cut from the Western release on principle, but I do think it shouldn't have existed as it is in the first place.

Verd254

Neo Member
All that is a far cry from a military commander deliberately inviting a subordinate into their private chambers, alone, for the sole purpose of intently rubbing and caressing their head...

Am I the only one that sees comedy gold in this?

Yukiari

Do you think people who thinks these things are creepy care about what's in a version that they can't play because the game is region locked? lol.

Fire Emblem was never as gratuituous with it's fanservice before Awakening happened.

We're going into a circle

I think people so far up their high horse should care. I mean creepy is creepy in the end, people rarely put their money where their mouth is. They just laugh it off in the end.

Chorazin

It's the 3DS for god's sake their are dozen of quick simple puzzle games and the like they could have aped as a sort of quick and easy proxy for Chess or Checker or Go to simulate you and your soldiers spending time together and bonding.

I still don't agree with it being cut from the Western release on principle, but I do think it shouldn't have existed as it is in the first place.

Even the fucking Hatsune Miku 3DS game has you playing GO or PuyoPuyo with her, not rubbing on her face.

Ridley327

Okay, the other rumour is false, well good. Not surprised it came out of Italy though, which does not recognise any homosexual unions. Plausible, and the 180 from some was something.

Still not happy at Nintendo for cutting this game up. It was optional, it used the Live2D assets well (RIP), it had some character development, and some stat bonuses that will probably be redistributed poorly.

It should be noted that Nintendo has never been 100 percent comfortable with Intelligent Systems' direction since Awakening. How do we know? Tharja's trophy from the "ESRB leak" of Smash 3DS. Showed up in a supposed submission to a ratings board where all hidden characters were revealed, yet her trophy disappeared from all copies worldwide on game release.

I don't think that was them being uncomfortable with FE's direction, so much as it would have bumped up the rating of the game to something that wouldn't have necessarily been all ages appropriate. Even Bayonetta is visibly more clothed during her attacks from the footage we've seen of her.

Because there was a brief period where they (and the industry in general) seemed to be getting better about not totally butchering things for the Western release. But you're still right given that they've been super cautious again for a while, just in a different direction.

I think the industry in general is still there. You can see that with releases like Senran Kagura, Neptunia and so on. But Nintendo is Nintendo. They're at the bottom of the barrel in terms of actually releasing games untouched. This is especially true in the case of games that don't have a M rating. That's probably the only reason that they didn't mess around with something like Bayonetta. But in general if you see something in a Japanese Nintendo game that people are taking issue with, then you bank on that not making it in the western release.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
I think the industry in general is still there. You can see that with releases like Senran Kagura, Neptunia and so on. But Nintendo is Nintendo. They're at the bottom of the barrel in terms of actually releasing games untouched. This is especially true in the case of games that don't have a M rating. That's probably the only reason that they didn't mess around with something like Bayonetta. But in general if you see something in a Japanese Nintendo game that people are taking issue with, then you bank on that not making it in the western release.
By now I'm shocked Bayonetta 2 was released as it was.

Am I the only one that sees comedy gold in this?

I mean it would certainly make for a great Monty Python sketch.

I'm imagining a bunch of soldiers sitting around the barracks cleaning their weapons and shit and then someone walks in.

"Private Jenkins, then general would like to see you in his tent."

And everyone gets real quiet and Jenkins just looks down at his boots and whispers "aw fuck not this again," and walks out silently.

Forkball

That's because the trophy may have netted a T rating for the game. It in no way shows that Nintendo is uncomfortable with the direction FE is taking. If they were, they wouldn't have amped up the relationship stuff in FEF.

Ridley327

By now I'm shocked Bayonetta 2 was released as it was.

Nintendo was the one who suggested that Platinum to make the Nintendo costumes skimpier in the first place. And that's not even getting into leaving Devil's Third alone, outside of the Japanese version having edits to the level of violence on display.

There was a huge 40+ page topic around Bayonetta 2's release where people criticized Boss Rodin's finishing move, as what was meant to be a cheeky Bayonetta-esque homage to Akuma's raging demon move, was construed to be implied rape.
Oh I remember this mess. That was just people jumping to conclusions though.

Palculator

Unconfirmed Member
There was a huge 40+ page topic around Bayonetta 2's release where people criticized Boss Rodin's finishing move, as what was meant to be a cheeky Bayonetta-esque homage to Akuma's raging demon move, was construed to be implied rape.
Gonna post this everytime this is mentioned.
Nintendo was the one who suggested that Platinum to make the Nintendo costumes skimpier in the first place. And that's not even getting into leaving Devil's Third alone, outside of the Japanese version having edits to the level of violence on display.
Yeah, but then they censored Fatal Frame even though that game was rated mature.

-Horizon-

I feel like people who are cheering for this move isn't a fan of anime in general and just wants to see it gone.

Because, hear me out now I've got a crazy idea, what if they had only removed the rubbing mechanic and changed the more suggestive dialogue but pretty much kept the mode intact? *gasp*

Crazy I know.

But at the same time, I have not seen this suggestion at all from anyone who is all "YES! Good riddance!"
It's like anime wronged them in the past and that it's now making them feel insecure about a GAME. So much so that they can't even think of alternatives to something being removed.

Because you gotta kidding me if there is anything 'creepy' about the option once the rubbing and dialogue is gone and changed.

I feel like people who are cheering for this move isn't a fan of anime in general and just wants to see it gone.

Because, hear me out now I've got a crazy idea, what if they had only removed the rubbing mechanic and changed the more suggestive dialogue but pretty much kept the mode intact? *gasp*

I'm not sure if anyone is even opposed to that?

Crazy I know.

But at the same time, I have not seen this suggestion at all from anyone who is all "YES! Good riddance!"
It's like anime wronged them in the past and that it's now making them feel insecure about a GAME. So much so that they can't even think of alternatives to something being removed.

Because you gotta kidding me if there is anything 'creepy' about the option once the rubbing and dialogue is gone and changed.

I haven't followed the game super closely but like...isn't the rubbing the whole point of the mode? Like, what are you supposed to do if there's no rubbing? If it's at all like that Pokemon amie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom