• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes |OT|Natural Selection Simulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bovine

Neo Member
I decided to pull for Ninian against my better judgement... put in 80 orbs. Got myself a decent Hinoka (+Atk -HP), another Effie worse than my previous one (+Def -HP), another Linde worse than my previous one (+Res -Atk bleh) and another Klein similar to my previous one (+Atk -Def compared to my +Atk -Res). Well I guess I have some Death Blow 3 fodder for the future. The Linde I'll probably just merge into my other Linde.

I like the aspect of self sufficient mage. I'm also working on Nino + Linde buffed team, although making my atk- Linde will take a significant work including promoting Odin to 5* to overcome the banes. BTW are you suggesting Darting blow for Julia?

My only iffie part of Fury Julia is, won't it make her more vulnerable due to 6hp hit she's going to take and hurt the longevity.

I use Julia with with quick riposte and fury. I have her counter on a blue mage if there is one and take negligible damage then she can go blow up anything of my choice with Iceberg up (mine is +Res so she has 38 with Fury). Some people run green tome breaker but I have Sanaki for green mages.

Speaking of experience with Fury especially with ranged heroes, the self damage has mattered barely a handful of times. It makes her a lot tanker since she benefits from pretty much all the stats.

One thing to keep in mind is that Julia isn't a sweeper. She can kill a lot of things and counters some serious threats but Nino kills almost everything (but needs a buffer). You seem to be pretty set on making a blade team though between Linda and Nino. Might as well get one up and running.

Yeah, it's one of my goals to have Nino+Linde team, although not I'm not certain that's a great team.

Honestly, Linde is more than enough, especially if you give her Barblade. She'll counter everything except for higher res greens. You'd actually want a red to go with her instead because of that. I use a defensive Erika for the buffs + bait, but Xander is also pretty awesome to just outright counter them.

Yeah you can do some crazy stuff with the initial attack but in desperation mode she kind of stinks with that speed. The upkeep for Ragnarok is too much. The wording for the weapon isn't very clear either. It reads like you won't take 5 damage when counter attacking but you take 5 damage either way.

Without Ragnarok effect, at neutral speed + L&D3 + SPD seal she reaches 39, 43 with speed buff. Not bad at all but not enough for some key encounter I guess. Running her with threathen SPD and a Dancer might be a good way to make this work. She won't be in Desperation range yet if she one shot her firsr target, though.

Still think I will use mine with Renewal or some other B slot that is not Desperation. Need to get the calculator going. Tired to rely on blade tomes, it works so great but it's just stupidly broken.

Edit: and they can fuck off for giving new tools that make them stronger when they should find a way to go the other way around.

Sushen

Honestly, Linde is more than enough, especially if you give her Barblade. She'll counter everything except for higher res greens. You'd actually want a red to go with her instead because of that. I use a defensive Erika for the buffs + bait, but Xander is also pretty awesome to just outright counter them.
Yeah, maybe, Linde+Julia/Sanaki maybe more practical. I need to pull a good Eirika first, though, haha.

PK Gaming

Looking at it Celica seems kind of underwhelming. With her weapon effect active she gets boosted to (assuming neutral) to 51 Atk/38 Spd which is more less what the average Linde runs around. The difference being that Celica has better defenses but Linde keeps that offensive power turn you turn.

I'd say she almost isn't worth running if you can't keep the effect up. Even with renewal you're talking about being able to attack every other turn at full power and that's only if you hit stuff that can't counter or counter for less than 5 damage. If she doesn't have Ragnarok up you've got a Tharja without any buffs.

She's pretty kickass. She doesn't reach Tharja's heights but that's because blade tomes are literally busted. Ragnarok is amazing due to its versatility. You can roll with Fury for maximum Speed/Power and Desperation nonsense, stick with Distant Defense to give her more staying power, or go nuts with Life and Death. Keeping her at max HP isn't too difficult either, since Renewal 3 is just fast enough for it to be reliable.

She's pretty kickass. She doesn't reach Tharja's heights but that's because blade tomes are literally busted. Ragnarok is amazing due to its versatility. You can roll with Fury for maximum Speed/Power and Desperation nonsense, stick with Distant Defense to give her more staying power, or go nuts with Life and Death. Keeping her at max HP isn't too difficult either, since Renewal 3 is just fast enough for it to be reliable.

Her stat line is basically the same as Tharja, so the only real difference is the tome (-1 speed, -1 def, +2 res). If you are willing to pass the tome over, Celica can be just as dangerous, but has more options. Kind of like How Sanaki can do everything Lilina can, but has a few more options thanks to her own unique tome (maybe not a few, but the same idea).

EDIT: After playing some of Echoes, I really want to roll Genny. She is pretty great.

Ninferno

How's your Nowi setup?

I'm in tier 10 and I just maxed a +SPD, -RES Nowi with Fury 3, Swordbreaker 3, Moonbow, Threaten Res 3 and she seems alright. Nothing super OP. Ike, Hector, and Kagero are all super amazing. I tried swapping Ninian for Nowi, but my team was just way less flexible.

Standard TA3 + QR2 combo, Moonbow and a buffing C skill (I have her learn Hone Atk, Spd, and Res, and equip one based on different team comp needs). It's fine to keep Threaten Res but I feel that she's already ORKOing anything I want her to kill when she's in QR2 range, and when she's not in QR2 range, Threaten Res isn't going to make a big enough impact. So I personally would prefer having a buffing C skill that's beneficial to my team.

Your Nowi's nature is great, I wish I have that.

Bamboo 竹;237537630 said:
I got Genny, the hero I wanted. Now I wonder if her ability should be inherit to my Lucius or I should wait until I get a Elise.

You monster...

Wait for Elise if you are going to trade her in though. Horse Emblem will get a lot more mileage out of wrathful staff than any infantyr unit. Alternatively, you could hold out for a flying healer.

Genny can be pretty effective herself if you got + attack or + speed though, so I wouldn't count her out.

You monster...

Wait for Elise if you are going to trade her in though. Horse Emblem will get a lot more mileage out of wrathful staff than any infantyr unit. Alternatively, you could hold out for a flying healer.

Genny can be pretty effective herself if you got + attack or + speed though, so I wouldn't count her out.

She's +ATK/-DEF, but the problem is that she has a really bad SPD that won't make her double nearly anything except armored units. I'll follow your advice and wait for Elise, thanks!

I got a 4* Tharja, my very first tier A mage besides Nino, but she's +DEF/-ATK. Does it worth it to work on her with that IV or I should just stay with Nino?

Bamboo 竹;237541152 said:
I got a 4* Tharja, my very first tier A mage besides Nino, but she's +DEF/-ATK. Does it worth it to work on her with that IV or I should just stay with Nino?

Honestly Blade tomes don't really care THAT much about -atk with all the buffs they get.

So I SHOULDN'T feed my +Speed/-Attack Nino to another unit for Draw Back?

You can use one of your many Sullys for that

Somehow I've never pulled a Fae.

spiritfox

I've been eyeing my 1 abel's swordbreaker, but I decided to just use one of my sully's instead. I should really figure out who else could use it, so I can clear some box space

On color breakers are pretty powerful. Eirika likes it a lot, plus the slow red mages (Snacky, Lillina). Nowi also uses SB to eat Falc users, though you might put QR instead.

Danj

Here's a question, what's the optimal way to time when you play this game?

I've noticed that if I don't play it for a few days and then come back, the game gives me shedloads of orbs as a "welcome back" reward, does anyone know what the timings are on that?

That is, is there a number of days, X, which if you leave it that long between play sessions, maximises your orb haul? Because honestly it seems to be a way more efficient way of getting orbs than either completing levels or quests or buying them. I have like 73 now or something which is insane.

They occasionally give it a bunch of orbs for for Twitter promotions, after voting gauntlet we get 20 etc. If you log on before a set of bonus orbs is overwritten by another set then you'll still get them. Like now I think if you start up the game you'd get a bonus 5 for SoV releasing whereas a few days ago you would have got the 20 for the voting gauntlet.

You missed out on a lot of daily orbs by not logging in.

yea im at 180 orbs and havnt tried to get new heroes in like 2months, game throws orbs at you.
Just logging in and checking monthly/weekly rewards is just basic thing

Guys, I'm speechless. I told myself that I was going to save my Orbs. But I just couldn't be patient.

I used my 90 F2P Orbs to summon from Battling Lloyd because it has good units, so why not? I was jittery from not summoning for so long.

Summoned nothing but Blue and Colorless. Well, I had to spend 84 Orbs just to get a 5*. I got Klein, but I have to check his IVs...

+RES/-SPD. God, I hate this game.

I'm just numb.

Roman

Guys, I'm just speechless. I told myself that I was going to save my Orbs. But I just couldn't be patient.

I used my 90 F2P Orbs to summon from Battling Lloyd because it has good units, so why not? I was jittery from not summoning for so long.

Summoned nothing but Blue and Colorless. Well, I had to spend 84 Orbs just to get a 5*. I got Klein, but I have to check his IVs...

I'm just numb.

I spent all my 94 on the same thing hoping for Hinoka to finally start building Flier Emblem. One the last one I got Ninian. I guess I now have an open door for Dragon Emblem in the future...

Furthermore this is totally bait for the wedding banner.

I spent all my 94 on the same thing hoping for Hinoka to finally start building Flier Emblem. One the last one I got Ninian. I guess I now have an open door for Dragon Emblem in the future...

Furthermore this is totally bait for the wedding banner.

I really don't know when the next time I'll summon will be. I'm not spending money, so it will be a long time. This is so crushing, because I actually did get the unit I wanted the most. The only silver lining is that he's DB3 fodder.

The only new units I got were Rebecca and Lukas. No good skill fodder at all. Still no Effie or Kagero after all this time. Rebecca has good IVs (+ATK/-HP). I had no plans to use Lukas anyway, but this one is cursed with -ATK.

I'll have to get Klein as a 4*. My best colorless options are +ATK/-HP Rebecca and +SPD/-HP Setsuna. Would you invest feathers on either of those two?

champloo

I decided to pull a few blue stones on Battling Lloyd banner, hoping to get my first Jagen, maybe even a Hinoka. 170 orbs later, I've got 4 Jagens and zero 5*.. I hate myself..

I decided to pull a few blue stones on Battling Lloyd banner, hoping to get my first Jagen, maybe even a Hinoka. 170 orbs later, I've got 4 Jagens and zero 5*.. I hate myself..

I hope you're not spending money. Yikes at those rates, too!

On 3% banners, I'm usually about 60-80 Orbs before a 5*. I don't think I've even gone over 100 Orbs a single time, so your results put things into perspective.

It's pretty funny that I got two Jagens from my last batch of Orbs. Before that, I had only summoned one.

Sorry, man.

Guys, I'm speechless. I told myself that I was going to save my Orbs. But I just couldn't be patient.

I'm just numb.

Even if you get what you want you'll wish you didn't ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mupod

I'm just numb.

uhh in my experience that's a pretty average amount if you're sniping specific colors. Could've been a LOT worse, believe me.

Don't see anything wrong with that Klein if you actually wanted to use him, his speed doesn't compete nowadays. But if you've got a Setsuna with +SPD you can make a real monster with that bow. That's what I want a Klein for, but I didn't bother pulling for one. I feel like he's a really valuable unit even with the shittiest IVs imaginable.

champloo

I hope you're not spending money. Yikes at those rates, too!

On 3% banners, I'm usually about 60-80 Orbs before a 5*. I don't think I've even gone over 100 Orbs a single time, so your results put things into perspective.

It's pretty funny that I got two Jagens from my last batch of Orbs. Before that, I had only summoned one.

Sorry, man.

I haven't spent money on this game yet, it feels too close to gambling for me lol. I guess I'll just pull whenever I save up 20 orbs, so it won't be this frustrating again. Looking at my list of heroes on this account, I've obtained 69 of them since my last 5*, there are free units among them, but still..

Edit: pulled again with my last 17 orbs, got Ninian -hp +spd. Yay..

Sushen

I haven't spent money on this game yet, it feels too close to gambling for me lol. I guess I'll just pull whenever I save up 20 orbs, so it won't be this frustrating again. Looking at my list of heroes on this account, I've obtained 69 of them since my last 5*, there are free units among them, but still..

Edit: pulled again with my last 17 orbs, got Ninian -hp +spd. Yay..
This is the right way to go if you're f2p. Targeting colors is p2p territory. Working with what you've got is what f2p is all about, Surely, we see some lucky pull posts, but you're a fool if you play expecting it because even those peoples are rarely that lucky and no guarantee that the same will happen to you.

Bamboo 竹;237540759 said:
She's +ATK/-DEF, but the problem is that she has a really bad SPD that won't make her double nearly anything except armored units. I'll follow your advice and wait for Elise, thanks!

Since Genny is a ranged unit, you can kind of mitigate her low speed against melee units by baiting and using Threaten Speed 3. If you give her a Hone Speed buff as well, she actualy gets decent battle results.

Genny (+ATK/-DEF) with a +4 speed buff
Assault
-
Speed + 3
Wrathful Staff 3
Threaten Speed 3

Against neutral units, she goes Wins: 48 Losses: 4 Inconclusive: 65 when she attacks assuming you baited for the threaten speed debuff. She doesn't do so well on the enemy turn though, bringing her lose total to 32, but she adds 10 wins as well.

There also also other things you can do, like Gravity + drag back, which will let her use her large offence and keep her out of range of her target, since not much kills her if she attacks first.

This isn't to say Elise will do it all better though. At the end of the day, Elise is easily the best healer, since she can get the Cavalry buffs and has really good attack and speed stats. Its just that low speed on Genny, or any other unit really, isn't as big of a killer as people think. Anything from 25 speed or higher can be made to be an effective unit if you build around speed buffs/debuffs, given it has a > 40 attack (with the weapon equipped) and/or unique weapon (Faye are really good examples of this).

Having pulled for a number of characters at this point, the chase was far more engaging the actual catch. Especially with shitty IVs rearing their ugly head over and over. Most of these I'd rather not have they're that disappointing.

Just take what comes and don't over-invest yourself in getting specific units.

Zafir

Having pulled for a number of characters at this point, the chase was far more engaging the actual catch. Especially with shitty IVs rearing their ugly head over and over. Most of these I'd rather not have they're that disappointing.

Just take what comes and don't over-invest yourself in getting specific units.

Heh, yeah.

You chase something for ages only to get a shitty IV. =/

I think you can snipe colours as F2P, I think you just have to do it a bit differently. Like don't do a single colour, but maybe do it as in you don't bother pulling orbs from colours which don't have anything on the banner (or colourless, because pulling colourless blows 95% of the time IMO).

Wiseblade

The best F2P advice is to just work with what you have. If you've been playing from the beginning, you'll likely have gathered some gems in your roster that you haven't noticed because you're too busy looking at the top tier stuff you don't have. Sniping a particular character is either for diligent hoarders or those preared to open their wallets.

Even I'm a victim of falling for this. I spent too many orbs rolling for Sanaki on the Voting Gauntlet Banner until I realised I have a 4* +Atk/-HP Lilina waiting in the Barracks. Between Arena's revamps, Hero Merit and Voting Gauntlets, promoting units has become more practical than crossing your fingers on getting a top Tier character with the right nature.

Scum

So, what are you guys doing with your "spare" 3*/4//5* characters? Merging everything with your better ones? Sending them home all the time for feathers? Bit of both...?

I do my best to keep my 4*s around because they can be useful. 3* entirely depends on the character some like your Sophias, Gaius and Bartre immediately get sent home. They are literally less than useless to me.

I've only ever sent one 'spare' 5* home and that was a -SPD Jacob. Most 5*s are worth attempting to put some time into.

Scum

I do my best to keep my 4*s around because they can be useful. 3* entirely depends on the character some like your Sophias, Gaius and Bartre immediately get sent home. They are literally less than useless to me.

I've only ever sent one 'spare' 5* home and that was a -SPD Jacob. Most 5*s are worth attempting to put some time into.

uUu9hwp.png

Same here. I am hording though, and running low on barrack space. I just need to sift through the Daily Hero Banner list and grab me some chars for Arena Bonus duty, even though I'm useless at it.

Mupod

So, what are you guys doing with your "spare" 3*/4//5* characters? Merging everything with your better ones? Sending them home all the time for feathers? Bit of both...?

I got bored and did something silly.

But yeah, for the most part I keep everyone, but I hit the 200 max and had to make some decisions. I only send home the most useless characters that I have dupes of. But some characters like Donnel can become surprisingly strong at 4*+10, so that's another option. This Hana for example, is +SPD and even with a regular brave sword will obliterate just about anything. I don't actually need her, but uhhh I had a lot of Hanas. Still have 2 I think.

I'm pretty generous with certain skills for inheritance - I don't think I'll get much use out of my -atk +spd Eldigan for example, but I gave him bonfire and quick riposte 2 because I have so many Robins and Subakis. Maybe I'm over-preparing for 'vortex mode' or whatever that thing will be called, but I figure more decked-out 5* units can't be a bad thing. Never know who might be a bonus character.

It depends on their skills. 3* Pallas, for example, I keep around for Moonbow. I'll even play them through to Level 20 to level them up to promote to 4*. It saves crystals and earns Hero Merit for her.

Also if they have better natures than the current 5* one I'll keep them. Right now I have a 4* Nino with +SPD (forgot her bane, but it wasn't a deal-breaker) to eventually replace the 5* -ATK one that I foolishly promoted from 4*. In my defense it was one of my first 5* promotions before I really understood the IV system and its implications.

I've generally been keeping one of each hero around just to earn Hero Merit now and then but there are some 5*s (e.g. Jakob) that are tempting to dump for feathers if I get another.

Scum

Cheers for the respomses, and Mupod, I've just starting doing the same! It's not silly. I've found a +SPD Hana (3*). I'm keeping her, turn her into 4*. I'm going to hoard 4* +XX Daily Hero Battle chars too.

redcrayon

Generally I keep one of everyone levelled to 4* level 40 if I can, as they are useful for oddball quest requirements like 'kill level 35 enemies with x specific character' or 'use only armour'. If ones with better natures turn up, I'll use them instead and merge the old one into them. If the nature is weak, it gets merged into the existing one.

3* duplicates of weaker 3* characters that I don't use often, I look at their skill list and see if there's anything worth developing or inheriting to make others stronger. Otherwise they get sent home for feathers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom