• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Heroes: Ylissean Summer banner datamined (Swimsuits)

Draxal

They could be actually adding all the missing characters (particularly from Awakening and Fates) to the game, but nah, let's go with bunny bodysuits, wedding dresses, swimsuits and endless pointless voting contests instead.

Limited gacha drives whales.

They do desperately need a three star refresh.

I don't know how you'd argue this, lmao. Echoes is literally torn straight from the NES game, and maligned for being both exceptionally simple in design and exceptionally tiresome in its' usage of enemies and terrain.

You can argue in favour of a more 'mature' aesthetic but how you feel about the looks and tone of the game does not reflect on how well it is or isn't designed. There's a reason Gaiden was not a game that any future instalment sought to emulate in any meaningful regard.

Maybe read my other post? Also, Awakening and Sacred Stones took a lot of mechanics and elements from Gaiden, so you're wrong there.

woopWOOP

They could be actually adding all the missing characters (particularly from Awakening and Fates) to the game, but nah, let's go with bunny bodysuits, wedding dresses, swimsuits and endless pointless voting contests instead.
I was kind of hoping we'd have about every playable character, main villain and other npcs within 4 or so years, but at this rate we'll have every holiday/swimsuit versions for the top heroes and the unpopular once never even get their chance to shine.

Alas, such is the gacha way

Also Echoes > Fates just because Corrin is such a worthless shit of a main character

Moonlight

Banned
Maybe read my other post? Also, Awakening and Sacred Stones took a lot of mechanics and elements from Gaiden, so you're wrong there.
The only notable thing you could argue that was truly inherited from Gaiden to the other games in terms of mechanics (I'm well aware of Awakening's setting) is the world map, and those games were informed by the failings of Gaiden (and ones that Echoes bafflingly fails to correct) in that respect.

Regardless, when you argue Echoes is a step up in 'map design' compared to the newer titles and then elaborate that your complaints in comparison surround everything except the map design, it's not a great way to make your point. I don't really have an issue with you having complaints with everything else, or rather I know that's an argument destined to be pointlessly circuitous, but if you're gonna ask someone to 'read your post' you should better acknowledge others.

The only truly notable thing you could argue that was truly inherited from Gaiden to the other games in terms of mechanics (I'm well aware of Awakening's setting) is the world map, and those games were informed by the failings of Gaiden (and ones that Echoes bafflingly fails to correct).

Regardless, someone saying that Echoes is a step down in 'map design' specifically and then elaborating that your complaints about the newer titles in comparison surrounding everything except the map design is not a great way to make your point. I don't really have an issue with you having complaints with everything else, or rather I know that's an argument destined to be pointlessly circuitous, but if you're gonna ask someone to 'read your post' you should better acknowledge others.

Grinding, a huge part of what people love about Awakening, began with Gaiden. So did multiple promotion paths, reclassing (though only for characters in the Dread Fighter class), and three tier classes. A more minor example, but undead monsters as enemies (instead of the usual human armies) was taken from Gaiden into Sacred Stones and Awakening.

Dunno why you're so hostile to me just because I like a game you don't and I think every other feature from the game compensates for its bad map design, but oh well.

Weebos

Banned
This is pretty tame guys.

I get that some of you can't handle the direction Fire Emblem has taken since Awakening, but calling it a game for "anime perverts" is hilarious and hyperbolic.

spiritfox

I'll also argue that Echoes, by virtue of it being a faithful remake of an older game, puts women into the role of damsels of distress more than a modern game should ever do. But not just that, it also changes Celica's story so that she
makes several decisions that put her on the level of Corrin at times
, and adds a new character
whose sole duty is to act as the shining knight (well cavalier) to Celica
. This alone makes it worse than Awakening, which at least had strong women in positions of power.

Moonlight

Banned
Grinding, a huge part of what people love about Awakening, began with Gaiden. So did multiple promotion paths, reclassing (though only for characters in the Dread Fighter class), and three tier classes. A more minor example, but undead monsters as enemies (instead of the usual human armies) was taken from Gaiden into Sacred Stones and Awakening.

Dunno why you're so hostile to me just because I like a game you don't and I think every other feature from the game compensates for its bad map design, but oh well.
I'm not sure where you're reading my tone, lol.

I don't really consider 'grinding' being something that 'began' with Gaiden because that's such a nebulous concept to apply and say that this never would've come about without this title explicitly. Especially when Gaiden's brand of 'grinding' is rather unlike Awakening in that most people don't actually enjoy it. I'll acquiesce to some other points (namely reclassing), though will again remind that correlation is not causation.

All I'm really addressing here in the end is that you quoted someone who said Echoes has bad map design. Then you say it's still better than newer map design (which still has its' DNA in how IntSys has been designing these games since the GBA), then you further elaborate your point by saying that your issues stem from everything outside map design. Then you admit that Echoes has bad map design. As far as positions go it's kind of hard to follow, and I probably wouldn't have bothered responding if your later posts reflected your first one.

Once you get past the pageantry though, FE is so inherently streamlined a game though, I see map design as its' most crucial differentiator in what separates it from just okay SRPGs to truly great ones. And clearly, you disagree. I don't feel that's worth pursuing as an argument since presentation is not something everyone will agree on and I won't fault people for feeling it's important - it is for me, too. Just that people are conscientious of what truly changed about the series.

I get that some of you can't handle the direction Fire Emblem has taken since Awakening, but calling it a game for "anime perverts" is hilarious and hyperbolic.
The hostility some people are displaying to anyone who still likes the newer games is extremely silly, yes.

I'm not sure where you're reading my tone, lol.

I don't really consider 'grinding' being something that 'began' with Gaiden because that's such a nebulous concept to apply and say that this never would've come about without this title explicitly. Especially when Gaiden's brand of 'grinding' is rather unlike Awakening in that most people don't actually enjoy it. I'll acquiesce to some other points (namely reclassing), though will again remind that correlation is not causation.

All I'm really addressing here in the end is that you quoted someone who said Echoes has bad map design. Then you say it's still better than newer map design (which still has its' DNA in how IntSys has been designing these games since the GBA), then you further elaborate your point by saying that your issues stem from everything outside map design. Then you admit that Echoes has bad map design. As far as positions go it's kind of hard to follow.

Once you get past the pageantry though, FE is so inherently streamlined a game though, I see map design as its' most crucial differentiator in what separates it from just okay SRPGs to truly great ones. And clearly, you disagree. I don't feel that's worth pursuing as an argument since presentation is not something everyone will agree on and I won't fault people for feeling it's important - it is for me, too. Just that people are conscientious of what truly changed about the series.

You're misreading the sequence of events. If you reread the posts, I was replying to someone who said they don't enjoy modern FE anymore. I said that Echoes was pretty good, and THEN someone replied with the map complaint. I never said that the map design was better than any other game in the series, in fact I said that I like it so much because every other aspect of the game is so brillant that it makes up for the bad map design. Please read more carefully next time.

Edit: I guess you could read my "still better than modern Fire Emblem" as "the map design is better than modern Fire Emblem", but I meant the game as a whole, and considering I specify what makes the game good despite its game design in my following post, there is no room for confusion.

Moonlight

Banned
Echoes map design isn't amazing though, unless you like infinite summons.

Still better than every Fire Emblem game since Radiant Dawn (FE12 is arguable too), and with minimal weird anime fanservice, which was my point.
I am honestly unsure of how you're logically supposed to read this sequence any other way and if you meant otherwise I don't think I or any others can be blamed for reading it as such.

I am honestly unsure of how you're logically supposed to read this sequence any other way and if you meant otherwise I don't think I or any others can be blamed for reading it as such.

It is (hence Radiant Dawn being my favorite), but the fantastic story, characters, presentation, localization, voice acting, music and mechanics help offset the mediocre map design. It's the polar opposite of Conquest for me, which was a game with amazing map design that was ruined by its everything else.

By reading the post I asked you to read from the beginning.

Quonny

These are better than the Easter ones, but still not to the level I would like. The guys designs especially are pretty boring. Have Gaius with a fishing pole, or have him creepily squirting sunscreen into his hand for comedy, or something. Give him an identity. That's what these event costumes are missing. Something that gives them an identity.

But a step in the right direction.

Draxal

To be honest I don't mind this at all, hell I don't even mind Camilla (I think she went above and beyond, but femme fetales is a thing done in the series beforehand); I more mind just random cavaliers and armor knights having no pants for no reason at all. Having swimsuits being side shit doesn't matter to me at all. I mean, echoes has impractical armor (tatiana's boob armor makes no sense); but whatever I'll deal, as long as doesn't get as bad as that new langrisser game.

These are better than the Easter ones, but still not to the level I would like. The guys designs especially are pretty boring. Have Gaius with a fishing pole, or have him creepily squirting sunscreen into his hand for comedy, or something. Give him an identity. That's what these event costumes are missing. Something that gives them an identity.

But a step in the right direction.

To be honest I liked Lucina's a ton, because I thought the pairing of her and Xander was hilarious (in how into she it was and how he wasn't).

I don't like any of them, which is god because now I can keep saving for the huge influx of Path of Radiance characters that are surely coming! Any day now!

Mupod

Meanwhile Sacred Stones only has the twin lords.

IS pls gib Seth.

there are more Lucinas than Sacred Stones characters.

I don't really play FEH for fanservice, I feel little compulsion to use favorites over strong characters. But I guess part of that is them snubbing the game that introduced me to the series, I'm not super attached to other FE games.

Draxal

there are more Lucinas than Sacred Stones characters.

I don't really play FEH for fanservice, I feel little compulsion to use favorites over strong characters. But I guess part of that is them snubbing the game that introduced me to the series, I'm not super attached to other FE games.

The problem is you have 15 games in the series (12 if you don't count remakes). And Sacred Stones is definitely one of the least popular worldwide, and doesn't have the popularity in Japan to prop it up like Archanea and Jugdral.

The problem is you have 15 games in the series (12 if you don't count remakes). And Sacred Stones is definitely one of the least popular worldwide, and doesn't have the popularity in Japan to prop it up like Archanea and Jugdral.

Genealogy of the Holy War has terrible representation too. I though it was popular in Japan?

Firemind

Lute, Joshua and Myrrh scored top 40 in the popularity contest.

Ban Puncher

Lol all this over swimsuits.

1988k4pyqcj8gjpg.jpg

Sounds like you don't know shit about gacha.
I've played (and still play) a few gacha games, none of them were this shitty in terms of releasing characters. The good games release new ones every 1-2 weeks, with fan service limited cards/characters usually being a once a month affair. Either that or a big pool every month. FEH adds next to nothing each month, I feel like I haven't had a notification about actual new characters in the gacha since the bridal one.

Draxal

I've played (and still play) a few gacha games, none of them were this shitty in terms of releasing characters. The good games release new ones every 1-2 weeks, with fan service limited cards/characters usually being a once a month affair. Either that or a big pool every month. FEH adds next to nothing each month, I feel like I haven't had a notification about actual new characters in the gacha since the bridal one.

They added new mystery of the emblem cavs, katerina and altena about 2 weeks ago. They're going for a biweekly schedule of at least 8 new characters per month (even if four them can be limited time characters).

NSESN

I wonder what is the FE version of genwunner.

But still where iss my Micaiah I am waiting for her for months.

The End

No Lucina no buy

...I don't even like Lucina that much but I've pulled both normal Lucina and Spring Lucina and have Masked Lucina from Tempest, so I'd just like to have a full team of Lucinas lol.

I missed out on Masked Lucina and I'm SUPER SALTY about it

No doubt in my mind they'll run it again though

Man people are thirsty for this banner. The imgur album already has 45,000 views (for reference, the Brides only had 9,500 views)

I can at least respect that the banner is going for equal opportunity fanservice unlike the bride banner. It's slightly undercut by it being Awakening characters only and half of them being stuck in colourless hell but maybe the next themed banner will have more non-3ds characters that aren't in colourless hell.

All in on Tiki and FRobin

PK Gaming

• The franchise isn't ruined because a fanservice game implemented fanservice swimsuit costumes.
  • The reason they didn't add Lucina/Camilla/Tharja/insertmoneymaker is because they want to release more swimsuit banners in the future. No sense in going all in on the first
    one
  • Summer Frederick is damn hot
  • Awakening wasn't successful solely because of waifu's
  • Echoes isn't even close to being the best FE, nor is it a "return to form"
See you all in the next thread!

Top Bottom