• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors |OT| Now Everyone Can Ougi!

Just the smug satisfaction that you're playing in a mode wholly unsuited to a musou for no reason other than to make it harder.
I picked classic/hard mode because I’m a glutton for punishment I guess.

I’ve never completed any previous FE game due to classic mode in awakening causing me to reset battles too many times and eventually give up. I’m just gonna keep going on classic/hard for now but switch to casual if it gets frustrating.

I love Hyrule Warriors (which was my first Warriors game), but Fire Emblem seems to be quite a bit more complex. I'm hacking my way through pretty well, but I have a couple of questions...

1) What is Anna's popup shop exactly, and how do I access it?
2) How on earth do i use items? I've had a couple of warriors close to death and no idea how to activate the items they are holding from the camp/convoy.

Thanks,

Berordn

I love Hyrule Warriors (which was my first Warriors game), but Fire Emblem seems to be quite a bit more complex. I'm hacking my way through pretty well, but I have a couple of questions...

2) How on earth do i use items? I've had a couple of warriors close to death and no idea how to activate the items they are holding from the camp/convoy.

Thanks,

The popup shop is the equivalent of Gold Skullatas. Push B near her when she pops up to get a piece of the picture.

To use an item hold ZR and then press A.

Thanks,

After certain conditions are met, Anna will pop up somewhere on the map (you can check the map and see her icon). Go talk to her and you'll get a piece of a picture. So far all of the conditions for her to show up have been "Kill 1,000 enemies" which is super not difficult.

You have to equip and item and use some combination of buttons (I think it's a Z trigger plus X? Or something? You can check the Guides section of the menu to see for sure).

Was able to get a couple of hours in yesterday. All the gameplay mechanics and flow of this game are a step up from Hyrule Warriors. Man the music in this game is amazing.

Berordn

is there a list of which stage's mementos you need to collect to get anna?

AFAIK you only need to complete one of them and do Anna's respective challenge for it. So if you just focus on the Awakening story missions and get all the mementos from the first History mode map, that should be everything you need to unlock her.

I am shocked how much of a Fire Emblem game this is. Like, tactics actually mean something and if you go in halfcocked you're in for a bad time. Granted I do have criticisms (like, why does no one have multiple weapons and why isn't magic a triangle) but for the most part it's a highly satisfying game.

I would buy countless amounts of DLC, like a map pack for the Radiant duo with Micaiah and Ike or and expansion of Binding/Blazing Blade with Roy/Hector/Eliwood. I would also pay for a DLC campaign like Heirs of Fate and The Futures Past that was just new/remixed maps without characters.

so much this. it really is a warriors game where the minimap matters. not that it doesnt matter in other warriors games but here it is really critical and i tend to use it constantly while in other warriors games i used it two to three times a battle max.

The popup shop is the equivalent of Gold Skullatas. Push B near her when she pops up to get a piece of the picture.

To use an item hold ZR and then press A.

After certain conditions are met, Anna will pop up somewhere on the map (you can check the map and see her icon). Go talk to her and you'll get a piece of a picture. So far all of the conditions for her to show up have been "Kill 1,000 enemies" which is super not difficult.

You have to equip and item and use some combination of buttons (I think it's a Z trigger plus X? Or something? You can check the Guides section of the menu to see for sure).

Thanks both, super helpful.

Just unlocked Corrin. The game is fun so far, but inferior to Hyrule Warriors in so many ways...

I wish it didn’t just throw new characters at you constantly. I feel overwhelmed by alll the options and wish I had more time to learn each one.

IronLich

So quick question on the game...

Do we know if there are enough Master Seals in the game to go around? I'm past the end of Story Mode, and heading straight to Celica's history book to unlock her. Wanna make sure certain characters get the stat boost they need to stay afloat when I need them.

Do we know if there are enough Master Seals in the game to go around? I'm past the end of Story Mode, and heading straight to Celica's history book to unlock her. Wanna make sure certain characters get the stat boost they need to stay afloat when I need them.

between story mode and history mode there is just enough for every character im assuming dlc will add extra for the new characters

Velcro Fly

There should be enough from History Mode for all characters.

HiroTSK5

I've finished the first 3 history mode maps and it feels like even with the last two there are fewer battles than the First adventure map in Hyrule Warriors which is a shame since I was hoping for this to be my Podcast game but I think by the end of the week I'm going to be completely done.

As much as it hurts to say this, I regret buying this game. It's just too similar to Hyrule Warriors and I invested so much time into that game...I'm still a little burnt out from it and this game isn't offering enough as far as "newness" to keep me hooked.

GenG3000

Despite preferring this one from a purely mechanic standpoint, I feel like Hyrule Warriors was the superior game: more unique characters with no clone movesets and more content overall.

CEJames

As much as it hurts to say this, I regret buying this game. It's just too similar to Hyrule Warriors and I invested so much time into that game...I'm still a little burnt out from it and this game isn't offering enough as far as "newness" to keep me hooked.

But...but, we need enough sales for a Fire Emblem Warriors Legends or 2 with IKE!!!! Think about our Lord IKE!!!!!

RIP Frederick and Boobs McGee aka Camilla. I think I realized why they threw so many characters at you, a lesser player might burn through them all lol

Crom

Got 3 Master Seals... who to use them on first I wonder.

That is my problem too. I used one on my main of course but there are so many characters in the game I am worried to waste one on certain people because what if I unlock someone better?

I also used one on the red headed archer (Sakura spelling?) because I like using an archer whenever a board has flying enemies.

Can't bring myself to use another one yet

I expected this game to be, like Hyrule Warriors, pretty much just another Musou. How wrong I was, god damn.

Every single character is amazing so far (IMO many bland ones in the average Musou and Hyrule Warriors in particular) and their interactions are fantastic. The pair-up mechanic and getting extra scenes from the friendship rating is great as well.

Then there's the actual mechanics. The weapon triangle, the class weaknesses and the stats, and how the pair-up, map and orders system brings it all together. It's just absolutely fantastic. I already knew, going in, that FE was the perfect franchise for a Musou but I didn't know it would improve the overall enjoyment of the formula so much.

Oh, and I'm not leaving here without mentioning how fucking amazing it is hearing the rockin' Fire Emblem theme remix when you trigger Awakening mode. Especially when you trigger it in a moment of need.

Expected a 7/10, got a 9 instead. Super impressed and super pleased. Good show, Nintendo/KT/TN. I'm not done with the game yet but I already hope there's a sequel. And as an added bonus, it's making me super hyped for the upcoming Fire Emblem game on Switch.

I think the real problem with this game is that they focused on the main cast of each game and that the main cast of the FE games usually are really derivative.

Take chrom and lucina for example.. they are pretty much marth clones with modifications

Lissa, Sakura and Elise are all the same healer type (fortunately they play rather differently). I mean you could put in mist, lena, serra, natasha in there all the same archetype.

Navarre (a dlc char), lyn and Ryoma are both the myrmidon type so the former isnt that exciting... (Navarre being the archetype)

Camilla and Minerva are also the same wyvern lord type (Minerva being the archetype)

Obviously the worst is with the pegasi sisters.. you have cordellia, hinoka and caeda which are the friggin same character type.. FE games succeeded in making some really outstading pegasus knights like florina, marcia or est..

Was it ever confirmed that there is no bonus at all for playing classic mode? Increased item drop quality, faster bond making or anything? They wouldn't be evidently noticeable, and all I've seen is people saying they haven't noticed anything.

Also, any impressions of the 3DS version? I actually liked Hyrule Warriors 3DS :p

Was it ever confirmed that there is n bonus at all for playing classic mode? Increased item drop quality, faster bond making or anything? They wouldn't be evidently noticable, and all I've seen is people saying they haven't noticed anything.

Also, any impressions of the 3DS version? I actually liked Hyrule Warriors 3DS :p
I've been looking around and as far as I know, classic mode is for bragging rights only. It doesn't unlock anything to my knowledge or give you any sort of reward or advantage.

I've been using Chrom as my main for everything. He's essentially the Link of this game. My other main is Camilla, but I really hate that riders are at the mercy of archers. My queen deserves better!

Also impatiently waiting for Niles to be released!

I think the History Mode is pretty awesome.

I also shed a tear when I saved a villager with a pot on his head (RIP Donnel being in the game). He's probably not popular enough, but I thought any Villager class could have been kind of neat.

Despite preferring this one from a purely mechanic standpoint, I feel like Hyrule Warriors was the superior game: more unique characters with no clone movesets and more content overall.

My problem with Hyrule Warriors "content" is that there was far too much grinding and pointless battles in Adventure Mode. The maps were needlessly large, and after a while didn't offer much new of anything. Just keep fighting these same battles again and again and again with slightly different variables to get this content we've arbitrarily locked behind it. I don't have 100+ hours to spend on a game whose gameplay loop is run around and hit X & Y a lot. If they were massive adventure maps full of unique handcrafted environments and dialogues and stories I would've liked it, by Hyrule Warriors had so much cookie-cutter fluff. Oh look! Repeat the same map to get a compass. Burn a random bush we're not going to help point out to you... choose the wrong one and go back to that other map and get another :mad: Here's a fight for no reason other than to slow you down and waste our time in the name of "content"!

I'm actually happy that things seem much improved in that regard in Fire Emblem Warriors. I seem to be unlocking things faster, people are levelling up and getting more powerful faster, and History Mode seems more concise and less eager to aimlessly waste my time.

In that regard, I vastly prefer it to Hyrule Warriors. On the other hand, I just don't have the same sort of connections with the characters here like I did with the cast in Hyrule Warriors - that and I think the general maps and environments in HW stood out more and were more varied.

Coda

Was able to get a couple of hours in yesterday. All the gameplay mechanics and flow of this game are a step up from Hyrule Warriors. Man the music in this game is amazing.

I agree, this game has been a delightful surprise while I wait for Super Mario Odyssey. Also, it's great to have a competent hack 'n slash game on the Switch now.

cwistofu

Fun game so far, but is every battle going to be "HOW DARE YOU TOUCH [NAME]! CLEARLY YOU'RE A BADGUY. PREPARE FOR BATTLE!"?

NeonZ

History mode, once you add up all five maps, has pretty much as many battles as the original Hyrule Warriors Adventure map (
125 battles in FEWs vs 128 battles in HW (+5 in the Rewards map)
). There are battles that only become visible later in the History mode maps with enemy reinforcements and unlockable outrealm gates. Still, you'll probably finish History mode significantly quicker than Adventure mode since there's no item mechanic locking progress, although you'll still need to replay stages for seals and such.

Fun game so far, but is every battle going to be "HOW DARE YOU TOUCH [NAME]! CLEARLY YOU'RE A BADGUY. PREPARE FOR BATTLE!"?

There are four of those, the first two chapters for each route in the route split. It's a stupid premise that seems straight out of Advance Wars considering the way they're randomly throwing soldier's lives away, and it's even odder how they placed them all together like that and didn't think anything was odd.

knkng

Can you stack several "strong against X" bonuses onto the same weapon? Or do they cancel out each other?

As in Plateslayer, Dragonslayer, and the like? You can stack two of them together.
Just want to note that adding that type of perk to your weapon (Plateslayer, etc.) will lower the base attack stat (you will know because the number in the top right corner will be red). Thankfully the the attack stat only decreases once, regardless of whether you apply one or two of the perks.

On a side note, I’ve noticed that some of the characters (particularly Pegasus riders) will have a bar under their portrait during gameplay, and it slowly fills up yellow while attacking enemies. I can’t find any info about this in the Guides and it’s also not in the digital manual. Does anybody know what the hell this is?

Just want to note that adding that type of perk to your weapon (Plateslayer, etc.) will lower the base attack stat (you will know because the number in the top right corner will be red). Thankfully the the attack stat only decreases once, regardless of whether you apply one or two of the perks.

On a side note, I’ve noticed that some of the characters (particularly Pegasus riders) will have a bar under their portrait during gameplay, and it slowly fills up yellow while attacking enemies. I can’t find any info about this in the Guides and it’s also not in the digital manual. Does anybody know what the hell this is?
I think its flight. I did a combo with Hinoka to where she went up high and juggled and as long as i had that bar i could keep going.

knkng

I think its flight. I did a combo with Hinoka to where she went up high and juggled and as long as i had that bar i could keep going.
That’s what I assumed at first, but then I noticed that it’s also on Sakura, Leo, Elise and maybe even some others I’ve forgotten.

It can’t be flight. It can’t be magic. I don’t understand this thing, lol.

That’s what I assumed at first, but then I noticed that it’s also on Sakura, Leo, Elise and maybe even some others I’ve forgotten.

It can’t be flight. It can’t be magic. I don’t understand this thing, lol.

The short of it: They all involve their Strong 1 (Press X)

The long of it:

Lissa: Charges by doing Strong 1, depletes over time. So long as it's not empty, you get a 25% boost to Str/Mag/Def/Res.
Cordelia / Hinoka / Caeda: Charges by attacking, depletes slowly during use. With at least half-charge (I think? I don't play pegs much...), launches you and the enemy high into the air.
Robin: Charges by attacking, depletes on use. At half-charge, causes stun. At full charge, causes heavy stun and is armored and unblockable.
Sakura / Takumi / Anna: Charges by holding Strong 1, depletes on release. At half-charge, causes stun. At full charge, causes heavy stun and is unblockable.
Elise / Leo: Similar to Robin's Strong 1 but charges much more quickly at the cost of being unarmored and blockable.
Camilla: Charges by attacking, depletes on use. It's, uh, strong? I haven't used it enough to be honest...
Marth / Celica: Charges by doing Strong 1 with no charge, depletes 1/3rd per use. Dashes in and quickly launches you and enemies, though not as high as the pegasi's Strong 1.

Personal favourite is Elise's. It charges waaaaay too fast for what it can do. lol

knkng

The short of it: They all involve their Strong 1 (Press X)

The long of it:

Lissa: Charges by doing Strong 1, depletes over time. So long as it's not empty, you get a 25% boost to Str/Mag/Def/Res.
Cordelia / Hinoka / Caeda: Charges by attacking, depletes slowly during use. With at least half-charge (I think? I don't play pegs much...), launches you and the enemy high into the air.
Robin: Charges by attacking, depletes on use. At half-charge, causes stun. At full charge, causes heavy stun and is armored and unblockable.
Sakura / Takumi / Anna: Charges by holding Strong 1, depletes on release. At half-charge, causes stun. At full charge, causes heavy stun and is unblockable.
Elise / Leo: Similar to Robin's Strong 1 but charges much more quickly at the cost of being unarmored and blockable.
Camilla: Charges by attacking, depletes on use. It's, uh, strong? I haven't used it enough to be honest...
Marth / Celica: Charges by doing Strong 1 with no charge, depletes 1/3rd per use. Dashes in and quickly launches you and enemies, though not as high as the pegasi's Strong 1.

Personal favourite is Elise's. It charges waaaaay too fast for what it can do. lol
Holy crap, thank you so much for this explanation. I was wondering what was going on with some of those strong attacks (like Lissa just pumping her axe over her head).

If any of this was explained during the tutorials, I must have zoned out or something, lol.

Tyeforce

Can anyone explain how weapons work and all? I just maxed out on my swords so I’m having to sell some to make room, but I don’t know which weapons I should be keeping and which I should be tossing. The game doesn’t really explain much about the weapon system and reforging and all that.

knkng

Can anyone explain how weapons work and all? I just maxed out on my swords so I’m having to sell some to make room, but I don’t know which weapons I should be keeping and which I should be tossing. The game doesn’t really explain much about the weapon system and reforging and all that.
I generally don’t keep any more than 20 of any weapon type at a time. It’s too cluttered and mostly unnecessary.

The letter represents the weapon rank. You will need to obtain the appropriate crests to be able to equip the higher ranked weapons (max rank -master seal required- will unlock the full potential of each character’s default weapon, which can’t be sold).

The number in the top right corner is weapon strength.

Stars represent general quality, I believe, it’s mostly irrelevant.

If you have a powerful weapon with empty slots, you can reforge to fill in the slots. Select the weapon, select the empty slot, and then select which perk you would like to apply to it from another weapon. Warning: When you forge a perk onto a new weapon, the source weapon will be lost. When forging you will be able to see what each perk does, and what limits you have. Generally I always keep a couple weapons on hand with decent perks for potential future forging (Strong VI, Rainstorm, and Divining are usually good to have).

Any perk that ends with “slayer” is limited to 2 per weapon and will give you a huge advantage over that particular enemy type (represented as an exclamation point (!) during battle). However, these perks will also lower your base attack for that weapon.

If there’s a weapon you really like that has junk perks on it, you can remove them, but it is really expensive.

If the weapon has “X5000” or something similar, then you must kill that many enemies with the weapon to unlock a special perk.

Tyeforce

I generally don’t keep any more than 20 of any weapon type at a time. It’s too cluttered and mostly unnecessary.

The letter represents the weapon rank. You will need to obtain the appropriate crests to be able to equip the higher ranked weapons (max rank -master seal required- will unlock the full potential of each character’s default weapon, which can’t be sold).

The number in the top right corner is weapon strength.

Stars represent general quality, I believe, it’s mostly irrelevant.

If you have a powerful weapon with empty slots, you can reforge to fill in the slots. Select the weapon, select the empty slot, and then select which perk you would like to apply to it from another weapon. Warning: When you forge a perk onto a new weapon, the source weapon will be lost. When forging you will be able to see what each perk does, and what limits you have. Generally I always keep a couple weapons on hand with decent perks for potential future forging (Strong VI, Rainstorm, and Divining are usually good to have).

Any perk that ends with “slayer” is limited to 2 per weapon and will give you a huge advantage over that particular enemy type (represented as an exclamation point (!) during battle). However, these perks will also lower your base attack for that weapon.

If there’s a weapon you really like that has junk perks on it, you can remove them, but it is really expensive.

If the weapon has “X5000” or something similar, then you must kill that many enemies with the weapon to unlock a special perk.
Thanks for the breakdown! I know the system is similar to Hyrule Warriors but it was also hard for me to understand it there, plus it’s been awhile, lol. What was really confusing me was Rank vs. Quality and how they relate, I couldn’t seem to make much sense of it or which was better to go by.

So you’d say it’s not worth hanging onto any of the lower ranked weapons for the most part? Also, I noticed the special weapons (like Falchion, etc.) are all E rank, is there a way to upgrade their rank?

Waggles

so... crashes. I've gotten two in 20 minutes. same mission, different parts and characters. A quick google says this is a common issue.

Anyone else lose some good progress?

NeonZ

The only crash I've had was in that story mission with the fog area. The first time I played through it I did everything besides conquering the last keep and the one that sustains the fog. When I got the fog one, the game locked.

Top Bottom