• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First English Tales of Xillia footage

Bladenic

Alvin's VA seems like he isn't happy to be there. Voice synching for the anime cut ins is awful and I'm hearing Lightning in there.

Hard to judge from a short excerpt like that but so far it seems like a step down from Vesperia :(

Vesperia just set the bar too high for Tales (or JRPG really) localization/VA work. Graces f was a step WAY down too.

Is it just me or did the loading time for the battle seem a lot quicker than the JP version? I seem to remember it took a second or two longer in the videos I saw before...

Videoneon

Well, actually I saw it first on GameFAQs, either way no thanks necessary though it was considerate of the OP

I'm maintaining my skepticism of Milla's voice right now. I still think everyone else is pretty good, though I wish Alvin sounded slightly less laid-back than he does here.

Aeana

On paper, Ali Hillis would be a good choice for Milla. She's very stiff, especially at the start of the game. Kind of robotic in a way, not super familiar with human interaction. The deeper voice also fits with the original Japanese voice, as well.

MoogPaul

I play Tales games pretty much just for the localization and character interaction. I duno, the skits really crack me up for some reason. Handshake is promising.

DR2K

Banned
aonp7v.gif

GhsOTF

Is there a release date for this? Looks so good.

demidar

I might need to hear more voice samples of Milla but Jude could be great. Could be. Legs is good and Alvin's a bit too unenthused.

Spinluck

The voices aren't that bad, looking forward to the game. Haven't finished Graces on PS3 yet.

This looks funner too, loving the animations and art style.

Videoneon

Well... umm... I... Hmm...

At least I like all the non-voice stuff.

I'm not picking on you or anything but this post is amazing because the ENTHUSIASM is palpable =)

That handshake has me hypnotized. I already know I'm getting this game but now I feel myself getting a little more hyped because my impatience for news will increase steadily.

Stuart444

Too bad our first 'proper' footage had to come from a third party youtube channel and was uploaded on the 4th rather than from Namco themselves.

I like the voices so far but need to hear more of them, especially skits/story segments (outside of battle stuff)

Midou

Was there any word of dual audio?

It's unfortunate it doesn't use the Graces combat, since that was the only good thing in Graces, but if the rest is good I don't mind.

Wikipedia says Q3 now, wtf? Thought it was supposed to be spring...

Stuart444

It's unfortunate it doesn't use the Graces combat, since that was the only good thing in Graces, but if the rest is good I don't mind.

Wikipedia says Q3 now, wtf? Thought it was supposed to be spring...

It has no release date now so whoever edited that probably just put it as a placeholder and there is no word of dual audio at this point.

Negator

In an interview with Hideo Baba he goes into the possibility.

— Recently, you said you were considering the feasibility of dual audio in Tales of Xillia. Have there been any developments on this?

Baba: I’ve been making efforts to include both Japanese voice-overs and English voice-overs. But with the Japanese voice-overs, it’s not just about data, but the licensing problems. But we are making efforts to resolve this problem.

While it doesn't sound bad, it doesn't sound too good either.

At the very least, dual audio was not a definite no.

I don't have too many complaints so far, since I feel with more footage (and time) I'll get used to the voices that I am not too sure about but so far I love Alvin and Leia's.

Milla and Jude will definitely take time to get used to, especially since now I can't unsee Flynn XD... but I am looking forward to more footage of some skits and getting to see Rowen and Elize.

Milla's voice wasn't what I was expecting, but I feel like I could get used to it, the other voices worked for me based upon the little bits I know about.

Labadal

Got this pre-ordered.

Alvin, Alvin all the way.

Voices didn't bother me much. Maybe because I'm currently playing Blue Dragon, White Knight Chronicles and Tales of the Abyss.

demidar

I'm not picking on you or anything but this post is amazing because the ENTHUSIASM is palpable =)

That handshake has me hypnotized. I already know I'm getting this game but now I feel myself getting a little more hyped because my impatience for news will increase steadily.

Of course I'm thrilled. I'm as thrilled as Alvin.

woohoo. this rocks. i cant wait for this game to release.

Seriously though I will be getting the game day one.

Eusis

Got this pre-ordered.

Alvin, Alvin all the way.

Voices didn't bother me much. Maybe because I'm currently playing Blue Dragon, White Knight Chronicles and Tales of the Abyss.
Yeah, once you play enough JRPGs from PS2 onwards it has to be truly bad to be grating, whether it's abysmal writing or roping together friends and family with no capacity for VA. And honestly the VA IS good 9 times out of 10, it's just the source material can be sort of grating to have voiced, or it's hard to get a good English replacement (or it's a kind of character/voice combo that's just grating and you have no idea why the fuck anyone would ever want it, spoken language be damned.)

Astra

Ohhh yeah, this game is coming, isn't it?
After Graces, it's hard to look forward to the next Tales game. The voice acting isn't doing much to help. How can I be hyped, when the characters themselves sound bored?

Astra

This is what you need.

Anyway this game can't be worse than Graces F. It's impossible.

That GIF is oddly mesmerizing.

Of course it'll be better than Graces, and by comparison Xillia will seem like a fantastic game (maybe it is in its own right, but after Graces the bar has been lowered).

Jucksalbe

Banned
Tipo is the only character in the game with the potential for total disaster (or awesomeness). Too bad he's not in the video.

After Graces, it's hard to look forward to the next Tales game.

Funny, I think the same but most likely for the exact opposite reason you do. I'm not too likely to get excited for a Tales game now unless we see that Tatsuro Udo worked on the gameplay.

As unenthusiastic as some of the voice are, I don't mind it...any chance Namco Bandai will put dual voice in or they already confirmed there won't be?

Top Bottom