• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First English Tales of Xillia footage

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Jude having a lower-pitched voice might make his characterization / narrative elements a little better, I think.

I look forward to pre-ordering the "Limited Edition" off of Namco's online store [I'm almost positive that there will be one, considering the excitement for this title], waiting a week after it releases for it to ship [if at all], with little to no communication as to what's happening.

I cannot forget the Wizard's Edition incident...
That really sucked. I hope they get their act together, but I get the feeling that they may not.

I just ended up buying the EU copy of Tales of Graces f just for having a CE of it (also the running joke is that I'll platinum it again, apparently, in TalesGAF). So I have three copies of it. I wouldn't mind a CE of Xillia.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Graces was my first Tales game... if that was bad, holy shit.

Graces F has the best battle system and best subsystems in the series. The characters and plot were pretty mediocre. Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia were all superior in that regard.

I look forward to pre-ordering the "Limited Edition" off of Namco's online store [I'm almost positive that there will be one, considering the excitement for this title], waiting a week after it releases for it to ship [if at all], with little to no communication as to what's happening.

I cannot forget the Wizard's Edition incident...

I told myself I refuse to go through that again
unless they throw in a Tipo plushie.

Will buy for sure, I'm a sucker for Tales games, but when the hell are they going to kick the graphics up a notch? Let's get some beautiful HD sprites in there. It looks like a step back from Vesperia.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Need my Miyuki Sawashiro.

This. I thought Hillis would do a good job. As Aeana pointed out earlier on paper shes right for the job. From what I heard on the video with crappy headphones blurred by the loud noises at SXSW I though everyone but Milla sounded good.

Aeana

Graces F was bad? I was really looking forward to buying it after exams :(

It's only bad if you're playing Tales games for story or characters, I guess.
It's one of my favorites, personally, since the combat is the best in the series, and the auxiliary systems synergize so incredibly well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Since this thread is already here, can anyone help where I have to go next? I picked up the game again after quite some time, but I'm totally lost.
We should post this in the Tales of Xillia OT. I'll quote it and post it there, okay?

And sheesh, I'll get this out of the way now: I like Xillia. I don't like parts of its design or its ability acquisition, or the cruddy boss design, or its EX dungeon, or its town design, or its lack of content, but if I didn't like the game, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to platinum it twice. Shit, I even put it on my GotY 2011 list. I just don't like it as much as my favourite games in the series. Kinda weird how people have this perception that I hate it when I say I didn't like parts of it. Disliking parts of a game != hating the game.

This. I thought Hillis would do a good job. As Aeana pointed out earlier on paper shes right for the job. From what I heard on the video with crappy headphones blurred by the loud noises at SXSW I though everyone but Milla sounded good.
Yeah, I didn't get to hear her too much, but I never really liked Hillis's 'shouting out attack' stuff. Maybe she's better within the narrative context. Like you both said, on paper, it'd work there.

Rpgmonkey

Is this better than Tales of Vesperia?

This is a long-running RPG series, so as always there's going to be a ton of variation on what makes any individual game better or worse than the others to someone, but personally I didn't like the game as much as Vesperia.

Will buy for sure, I'm a sucker for Tales games, but when the hell are they going to kick the graphics up a notch? Let's get some beautiful HD sprites in there. It looks like a step back from Vesperia.

From a technical perspective it's the most ambitious Tales game yet.

This goal came at a cost in some ways, however.

Ricker

Besides the character window that appears on the top left during battles,looks a lot like Vesperia,which is a good thing I guess...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
It's only bad if you're playing Tales games for story or characters, I guess.
It's one of my favorites, personally, since the combat is the best in the series, and the auxiliary systems synergize so incredibly well.

For me, when a JRPG has a bad component, it can tend to bring the whole experience down. When a game is 40-60 hours long, screwing up something really bad does more damage to a game than a really good component can fix. Essentially, the battle system was a net gain, while the story and characters were a net loss, and net losses count double! If the story and characters were much improved while having a terrible battle system I think it would have affected my impressions just the same.

Part of the whole reason I love this series is that it's more "balanced" then most JRPGs. Too many JRPGs can make a single mistake and it just tears the whole thing down. Tales is usually at least competant on all fronts, so when you get a game as unbalanced as Graces F it can leave a negative impression.

Not that I think Tales F is really a bad game. Just probably my least favorite of the "major" releases.

Necrovex

We should post this in the Tales of Xillia OT. I'll quote it and post it there, okay?

And sheesh, I'll get this out of the way now: I like Xillia. I don't like parts of its design or its ability acquisition, or the cruddy boss design, or its EX dungeon, or its town design, or its lack of content, but if I didn't like the game, I wouldn't have gone out of my way to platinum it twice. Shit, I even put it on my GotY 2011 list. I just don't like it as much as my favourite games in the series. Kinda weird how people have this perception that I hate it when I say I didn't like parts of it. Disliking parts of a game != hating the game.

Yeah, I didn't get to hear her too much, but I never really liked Hillis's 'shouting out attack' stuff. Maybe she's better within the narrative context. Like you both said, on paper, it'd work there.

I'm curious, what is your favorite Tales of game? I am sure you listed it prior, but I don't want to enter a mighty search for it.

I couldn't get into Graces F, but I play Tales of games for its story and characters, not for the battle system.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I'm curious, what is your favorite Tales of game? I am sure you listed it prior, but I don't want to enter a mighty search for it.

I couldn't get into Graces F, but I play Tales of games for its story and characters, not for the battle system.

It's tempest. =)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Hmmm... it really depends on the day or how I feel, but it's generally a tossup between Graces f, Destiny R, and Rebirth. Right now, I'm in a Destiny R kind of mood, and I feel like that game has a generally decent balance between narrative and systems. Rebirth and Graces f have stories that aren't that great, but I generally come to Tales for the battle systems so I don't really mind it.

And that's where the division lies: since people are more exposed to the Tales games with better characterization and narrative content, it's more likely they'll come to Tales games for that. I think Xillia's good in that department, so people will like Xillia more than they liked Graces outside of maybe some bits of it that might bug 'em a bit.

kayos90 said:
It's tempest. =)
Stop spreading lies.

You know what I think of Dimps. Eff Dimps!

Necrovex

Hmmm... it really depends on the day or how I feel, but it's generally a tossup between Graces f, Destiny R, and Rebirth. Right now, I'm in a Destiny R kind of mood, and I feel like that game has a generally decent balance between narrative and systems. Rebirth and Graces f have stories that aren't that great, but I generally come to Tales for the battle systems so I don't really mind it.

And that's where the division lies: since people are more exposed to the Tales games with better characterization and narrative content, it's more likely they'll come to Tales games for that. I think Xillia's good in that department, so people will like Xillia more than they liked Graces outside of maybe some bits of it that might bug 'em a bit.

Well that resolves any possible issues I would have with Xillia then. I simply wish Namco would announce the exact release date instead of the vague-ass summer release.

Yazuka

I like what I heard. Even if Alvin sounded a bit stiff.
But I think I'll enjoy it, I liked the voices in Graces. Even Richard, which people seem to have some kind of problem with.
Now Namco Bandai, give us a date!

Shahed

I'm expecting a Summer release. Not sure if that will include the EU though. I've got plenty of games to tide me over until then anyway.

Voices seem pretty standard to me. Nothing good or bad either way. Admittedly I have no Japanese to compare it to though.

I was amazed it wasn't McGlynn or Platt doing Millia.

Jude sounds sooo manly. Very nice.

I heard tell he was a whiny dipshit. It is kinda jarring.

For me, when a JRPG has a bad component, it can tend to bring the whole experience down. When a game is 40-60 hours long, screwing up something really bad does more damage to a game than a really good component can fix. Essentially, the battle system was a net gain, while the story and characters were a net loss, and net losses count double! If the story and characters were much improved while having a terrible battle system I think it would have affected my impressions just the same.

Part of the whole reason I love this series is that it's more "balanced" then most JRPGs. Too many JRPGs can make a single mistake and it just tears the whole thing down. Tales is usually at least competant on all fronts, so when you get a game as unbalanced as Graces F it can leave a negative impression.

Not that I think Tales F is really a bad game. Just probably my least favorite of the "major" releases.

If only they were iterative on all fronts, ya know? But then, that isn't really rewarded effort often enough.

Soriku

Sounds perfectly fine to me.

How does Alvin sound bored? Some people here seem to confuse "not overly excited" for "bored." But that's his character. His tone is fine. Despite that he really does not sound close to bored.

But then again I don't have an Incredibly Refined Voice Acting Palate™ sp what do I know. There are people who actually think Xenoblade had a terrible dub.

They all sound fine to me. Milla might take a bit to get used to but I think that's on purpose.

I think Alvin's sounds the best so far.

FSLink

Banned
If only they were iterative on all fronts, ya know? But then, that isn't really rewarded effort often enough.
Vesperia PS3 is probably the closest to a best Tales game overall in that regards then. Same with Destiny remake if you don't mind the old school plot in that. Graces f is still my favorite since like others here I prefer the sub systems and battle systems of the series. Despite my complaints with Xillia it's still one of the stronger games in the series and the battles are still a ton of fun outside the crap boss battles.

Frodo

aonp7v.gif

Made me want to buy the the game.

The voices won't bother you nearly as much as the TP system will.

I prefer the "bored" English voices over the fake overenthusiastic overacting of the JP VA track. I can only take so many gasps where a gasp doesn't belong.

I also prefer the battle system in vesperia over the one from graces F so yeah, opinions and all.

Seda

I prefer the "bored" English voices over the fake overenthusiastic overacting of the JP VA track. I can only take so many gasps where a gasp doesn't belong.

I also prefer the battle system in vesperia over the one from graces F so yeah, opinions and all.

Generally speaking, I agree with you.

Amon37

I like both battle systems so it'll be nice to go back to a tp based skill system.

Also summer release and it's already March? Doubtful but it gives me time to finish graces and kuni.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
I guess they had someone take to the streets and offer random passerbys a couple bucks to do some VA.
Does that really surprise you when the game itself looks like an S-Tier PS2 game this late into this generation? It's pretty obvious they're not throwing much of a budget at this thing.

Yet, they're still charging 60 bones for it...

Bladenic

Does that really surprise you when the game itself looks like an S-Tier PS2 game this late into this generation? It's pretty obvious they're not throwing much of a budget at this thing.

1. The game was completed by mid-2011.

2. It does not look like a PS2 game.

3. The budget is by no means low. It's probably the highest budget Tales game (maybe Vesperia too?). However, you have to account for the fact that Tales is a B-tier series in terms of budget. Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts it ain't.

zeopower6

Why is that even being brought up when the game was already made QUITE some time ago? Heck, there's even a sequel out.

Also, the field probably is not where it's going to look its best.

Eusis

Game won't sell a fraction of what most AAA games would if they aren't colossal failures and as such can necessitate the higher price to get more money per person, and for single player you do get more mileage with the hour:money ratio. Something like Atelier Ayesha REALLY shows what a low budget PS3 JRPG is anyway, this just looks content not to stress visual boundaries, but it's going to have a decent level of detail on average, larger and more varied areas to run around in (or so I'd assume), etc. And with the way most of these Japanese games handle rankings I wouldn't say "S-Tier", people seem to pick other letters for that and in this context could instead imply super premium.

Why is that even being brought up when the game was already made QUITE some time ago? Heck, there's even a sequel out.
Admittedly "quite some time ago" this time is still 5-6 years into a generation. We're well past the point of games aging badly because they're still getting a hang of the hardware, don't forget that's about the time games like Skyrim, Crysis 2, Dark Souls, Uncharted 3, and Witcher 2 came out.

zeopower6

Also it should be mentioned that Xillia is the highest selling Tales game since Destiny 2 from about 2002. (700k~) Xillia 2 didn't perform as well but it still did respectably. (500k~) The highest selling game of the series, Tales of Destiny, only really moved 1.1 million so it's not like Tales has sold incredibly well throughout its lifetime if you compare to other big sellers. However, it is rather consistent.

Eusis

Actually, two other things to bring up in regards to pricing:

1. Budgets aren't as binary as "low" and "high" anyway, as they can vary wildly. Something like this certainly doesn't cost GTA, AC, or likely even CoD numbers, but an indie game it sure as hell isn't.

2. Most of those $60 games are probably grossly underpriced given their budget and how well they'd actually sell. I kind of expect games like Xillia are actually far more responsibly budgeted and priced than any AAA game outside of well proven series like GTA or AC.

kuroshiki

So far I heard that story of Xillia (actually most of the stories in Tales series sans Phantasia) are crap.

Which is expected of Tales series so I'm not surprised.

Top Bottom