• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First English Tales of Xillia footage

Meh, I don't care much about voices in battle. Those are going to get on my nerves no matter what anyway. As long as the voices are a little bit more emotionally driven in the cutscenes, I'm fine.

Yea. After Star Ocean 2, battles voices in other games have anyways seemed fine by comparison. :p

Instro

Technically sound. Don't expect anything other than a straight up-and-down port job, though.
That's all I really need. I only ever had a chance to play a portion of the original release when I borrowed it from a friend back in the day, so my only real concern is whether or not its a messy port. Thanks.

matmanx1

That video made me very excited but also very sad. I'm excited to play this in English but I'm also sad that we aren't getting it for months. Maybe we'll get a release date soon'ish?

Hopefully the story isn't as boring as Graces was (It wasn't a bad game persay...but when my ps3 died and I lost all my progress...I had no intention of getting back to where I left off).

Shouta

Which one is the main character, the blonde chick or the guy who uses his fists?

Both. You pick one of them at the start of the game and see the story from their perspective. Most of the story is the same because they travel together but there'll be stuff unique to the character you picked. Personally, I think Jude -> Milla is probably the way to go as it makes a bit more sense of what's going on if you play it through twice. If you only do once, I'd still recommend Jude first.

Anyway, the voices are pretty good. There's something odd about the mixing that's throwing me off but the actual choices are solid. I think a less whiny Jude voice will be a lot less grating for some sections. Leia sounds familiar but I can't point my finger on who, sounds like someone from the old Pokemon dub though.

Aeana

So you have to play the game twice to get both viewpoints or...how does that work?

Yes. Although the characters spend most of the game near each other, so the differences in those cases are minor, although there are a couple of sections in the game where they're apart, so those are different.

FSLink

Banned
This looks kind of awesome. To people who have played Xillia, how does it stack up to other Tales games?
At least from the modern Tales:
Story: Xillia 2 > Xillia > Vesperia > Graces f

Characters: Vesperia > Xillia 2 > Xillia > Graces f

Battle System: Graces F > Vesperia > Xillia 2 > Xillia

Secondary Systems: (cooking, forging, title system, etc) : Graces f > Vesperia > Xillia > Xillia 2

Graphics: (really an art style pref really Xillia has some nice looking locales): Vesperia > Xillia > Xillia 2 > Graces f

Soundtrack: Xillia > Xillia 2 > Vesperia > Graces f

Dungeons: Vesperia > Xillia > Xillia 2 > Graces f

Anime Cutscenes: Xillia = Xillia 2 > Vesperia > Graces f

Rpgmonkey

This looks kind of awesome. To people who have played Xillia, how does it stack up to other Tales games?

The presentation is among the best in the series. There's some nice improvements and changes to the interface, camera, character models, effects, animated scenes, etc. It's not really cel-shaded so one might prefer say, Vesperia's look over Xillia's, but Xillia's usually doing more and may feel more "modern".

The game doesn't have a worldmap, but I feel like it suffers from going for size over density and content. Most of the overworld consists of large, spacious fields which look cool at first, but don't tend to have anything particularly interesting in them, just lots of enemies and shop materials scattered all over the place. There's places where you can climb and crawl, but it usually doesn't lead to any noteworthy discoveries. There's also a lot of recycling of assets, so they start to feel and look the same over time. Personally I thought Graces implemented the "no worldmap" concept better, as the zones were more compact and it seemed like almost every zone had some nice scenery or something interesting to find. Xillia's attempt looks cool at first, but for me the novelty wore off quickly and running through the fields started to get annoying.

I thought the writing was solid. Tales often has a problem with pacing to me, but Xillia is better than most Tales games there. They usually keep the story moving and annoying stuff like backtracking or awkward breaks in the action for intimate conversations between characters is pretty minimal. Only the last quarter or so of the game feels like it moves too fast and comes across as rushed, but I wouldn't say the game is full of filler moments and overstayed it's welcome. Of the six playable characters, one character annoyed me and one character I found totally uninteresting, but I liked everyone else. I think most people will like them more than Graces' characters, but less than Vesperia's.

For the gameplay I didn't think it matched up to Graces and Vesperia. A majority of the sidequests are the MMO-style quests (you go to a person, they ask you to find item X or kill monster Y, you do that, then you go back and get a reward) that are so trendy with RPGs lately, instead of the more elaborate, long-running quests previous Tales games had in abundance, which I personally preferred more. The combat basically tried to combine the best things about Graces and Vesperia into one game along with some new touches, which is a nice idea in mind that sounds good on paper, but it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped. It's fun, but when compared to the combat of Graces and Vesperia at their best, it isn't really as good as either of them. The extra systems (cooking, "crafting", etc.) all feel undercooked: they're either easily broken or there isn't much depth to them.

The overall package of the game is enjoyable and there's a lot of people that will probably like it more than other Tales games like Graces or Legendia, but aside from the music, story, and presentation, I wouldn't say it's among best the series has to offer in any individual aspect like combat or content.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm not nuts about the behind-the-character perspective. Would have preferred more fixed angles like in the other Tales games. Gfx and combat do look nice though.

Negator

Yeah i'm french so i'm pretty confident about this one :p

Roughly translate to

Is there japanese voiceover in Tales of Xillia ?
Tales of Xillia has english voiceover but won't have the japanese ones

And later

Will the next Tales of games have japanese voiceover ?
We indeed want to let the player choose between the english and japanese voiceover

Aww fuck. :(

Oh well. If it means future titles will have it, then I can't complain too much.

I've gone from not giving a shit about this game to actually getting pretty hyped. Maybe it was the English Gameplay that actually hit home that it's getting localised pretty soon. Symphonia and Vesperia were awesome. Graces was enjoyable but not in the same league. If Xillia fits somewhere in between I'm pretty happy to be honest.

Stark

Banned
Yeah i'm french so i'm pretty confident about this one :p

Roughly translate to

Is there japanese voiceover in Tales of Xillia ?
Tales of Xillia has english voiceover but won't have the japanese ones

And later

Will the next Tales of games have japanese voiceover ?
We indeed want to let the player choose between the english and japanese voiceover

Noooo! Oh well, at least one Xillia will hopefully have it.

drexl

Banned
Still not sure if I should get this. Loved Vesperia, hated Graces F, and I've heard this isn't as good as the others. On the other hand, I wanna keep supporting JRPGs so that more of them will come to the West.

So conflicted.

demidar

Still not sure if I should get this. Loved Vesperia, hated Graces F, and I've heard this isn't as good as the others. On the other hand, I wanna keep supporting JRPGs so that more of them will come to the West.

So conflicted.

Xillia is closer to Vesperia than Graces f, if that helps.

Negator

So conflicted.

From what little I played of Xillia, it reminded me more of Vesperia than Graces for what it's worth.

drexl

Banned
Oh I forgot to ask, has it been confirmed that they're recording an English version of "Progress" for the localization, or not? Would love to hear it.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but cbf searching.

FSLink

Banned
Oh I forgot to ask, has it been confirmed that they're recording an English version of "Progress" for the localization, or not? Would love to hear it.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but cbf searching.

No confirmation but if you look at the past few recent localizations they've been keeping the opening for most of them (either an instrumental or an English version). Only one I can think of off the top of my head of the recent ones that didn't is DotNW. I do hope they keep this one. The music going along with ufotable's beautiful animation work is quite the spectacle.
Here's the opening for those who haven't seen it, this one's edited so you can see Jude's and Milla's versions at the same time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1T0EzmOf2k

Also it appears the link in the OP is now down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpvRpPFzbF0 Here's a reupload someone did.

Amon37

So far I prefer everything in vesperia vs graces f. I completed vesperia twice and would have played more if Xbox didn't die. I don't really have an urge to finish graces more than once.

If vesperia came to ps3 NA I would have no problem starting from scratch again and completing it multiple times.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder if they're going to force Hamasaki to sing in Engrish, kinda like Utada Hikaru (she can sing decently in English, but the lyrics are something else).

At least BoA can sing in English properly (though she's not Japanese).

Fisico

When he was presenting the game to the press last year, Baba talked a lot about Ayumi Hamasaki saying she is the "japanese Madonna".
I don't know what he was trying to do back then, but I took it as a hint that they either want to keep the opening as it is, either make Ayumi sings an english version (but isn't it too late for that already ?)

zeopower6

When he was presenting the game to the press last year, Baba talked a lot about Ayumi Hamasaki saying she is the "japanese Madonna".
I don't know what he was trying to do back then, but I took it as a hint that they either want to keep the opening as it is, either make Ayumi sings an english version (but isn't it too late for that already ?)

I think they'll likely just keep the opening as is or at least just stick an instrumental version in there. Would be neat since no official instrumental was ever released on any of her CDs.

As far as I've heard on the Ayu front, she's focused on her 15th anniversary this year and doing new stuff mostly.

Stark

Banned
I wonder if they're going to force Hamasaki to sing in Engrish, kinda like Utada Hikaru (she can sing decently in English, but the lyrics are something else).

At least BoA can sing in English properly (though she's not Japanese).

Hope not. At least keep those in original form. I don't think the English counterparts sound too great.

khaaan

The voices weren't so bad. The first impression wasn't the best but hearing all the shouts during the battle ended up sounding fine. The high-five on the other hand is stupid.

Rpgmonkey

I'm not nuts about the behind-the-character perspective. Would have preferred more fixed angles like in the other Tales games. Gfx and combat do look nice though.

It can be a bit detrimental to the visual experience at times.

I did like how in many previous Tales games, the camera angles and movements were often specifically crafted to focus on certain scenery, or provide a better sense of scale. Since Xillia lacks that, some places feel a bit "flat" and small. To me it was especially noticeable in dungeons, due to the level design in combination with the camera.

But this is their first serious attempt at it and it's likely the new direction for the series, so I'll wait and see what the map design and use of scenery is like in future games.

Negator

Hideo Baba is having a Tales of Xillia panel at Wondercon on March 29th.

Hopefully we'll get more solid release date details.

Top Bottom