• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First English Tales of Xillia footage

Seda

Funny how there's posts in this thread hoping it can hold a candle to Vesperia and others hoping it can hold a candle to Graces.

Watch it be like neither and everybody's disappointed.

KmA

aonp7v.gif

This made the video worth it

You know what, I agree with this. To me, Graces f was darn near the perfect Tales game (it almost ruined Abyss for me), and I know Xillia won't be the same. I should be much more excited for this...

Indeed. ToG's battle system was pretty much perfect, IMO, even though I felt the characters were a big step down from Vesperia's. Still, I loved it and am always perplexed when I hear some Tales fans call it "bad."

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Many of us called Ali Hillis for milla including myself. While I'm not ecstatic I'm not displeased.

I'm at SXSW so I'll post about this later. See ya peeps.

zeopower6

Most of the voices fit imo. Milla doesn't seem like she'd be enthusiastic so that fits. :p

Alvin's seems a bit too young though.

Videoneon

Funny, I think the same but most likely for the exact opposite reason you do. I'm not too likely to get excited for a Tales game now unless we see that Tatsuro Udo worked on the gameplay.

Yes...time for Graces praise. It kills me that the battle system will almost certainly never return again.

Funny how there's posts in this thread hoping it can hold a candle to Vesperia and others hoping it can hold a candle to Graces.

That'd be funny. There are some that think the Tales fanbase is too prone to infighting, and while that's true to a degree, I quite like how there manages to be noticeable differences between entries in spite of how superificially similar all entries seem to be because "JRPG tropes" etc. It's one thing that totally validates Tales as a series in my opinion and makes it easy for me to keep coming back so far.

On some level I feel that some of the differences (beyond art style, moral theme, entry-specific battle system) are not intentional, like Graces' emphasis on combat and systems, Vesperia with solid characters, nice overworld, and that " modern classic" sort of JRPG experience all sort of come after the fact or as the result of screwing some other element of the game up

Seda

I'm good with all the voices (from the small clip we have) except Alvin sounds kinda bored. Does that fit his character at all?

About time the Vita got something, is looking pretty good.

Not sure if you're uninformed or making a joke about the visuals but this is a PS3 game.

Squire

Banned

Never cared about either game, so fine by me.

That handshake gif is doing a lot for my interest in this one though, haha.

Looks good, voices sounds weird but I actually just turn the V.A off anyway because I hate american voices.

I'm pumped for this game :p

ohlawd

Graces F was bad? I was really looking forward to buying it after exams :(

you might get some mileage out of the battle system like everyone else did. I hated it though.

but I'm not really a Tales buff since I've only played Symphonia, DotNW, Abyss and Graces F.

SkylineRKR

Graces was my first Tales game... if that was bad, holy shit.

Its not the worst Tales game imo (i'd give the nod to Legendia), and its not as bad as a lot of other JRPG from this gen. But Graces is kind of... empty. I didn't like the small and boring world (especially not during the first hours where its constantly going the same route), most of the chars... and the music was shit. The friendship story got out of hand, but I've endured worse in SO4 and Sonata, so yeah...

Battle system is one of the best in any RPG ever, and it keeps on giving... until even in the Future arc.

I'm good with all the voices (from the small clip we have) except Alvin sounds kinda bored. Does that fit his character at all?

Not sure if you're uninformed or making a joke about the visuals but this is a PS3 game.

Oh...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH. That's just unfortunate. Is there a Vita version at least or is exclusive?

zeopower6

Oh...OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH. That's just unfortunate. Is there a Vita version at least or is exclusive?

...wha? It's a PS3 exclusive. Before Xillia though, Tales games (Wii and 360) had a tendency to get ported to the PS3 with various add-ons.

There are some DS Tales games getting Vita versions though.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mm... Sam Riegel as Jude sounds really jarring. Could work, but wow, it's jarring.

Ahahahahaha. We'll see when it's out, then. </cryptic>

Both this game and its sequel are for PS3 only.

zeopower6

Still no release date? Just "summer"?

IF that so, then when we are getting Xillia 2?

I think that would depend on how Xillia does.

And maybe they don't want to announce a release date just in case there's a slight delay? "Summer" is a pretty nice general time frame and we've only had that info for what, a month or two?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's not like there was ever a Tales thread without a lot of complaining.
That's true. I know the exact bits about Xillia that people may take issue with, as well. But I'll keep all of that to myself.

And to be fair, the worst Tales games I've ever played are Tempest and VS. Oddly enough, Graces and Rebirth are among my favourites despite being weak in the narrative department. Destiny R is also one of my favourites. It truly depends on the kind of play rules you like in Tales, really. I'm not gonna fault anyone who likes the narratively-based Tales games because they've been mostly exposed to them, so why should I take issue with people not liking the ones I like? I honestly don't care.

Voices sound ok to me.

I much prefer the pitch of Jude's English voice over his Japanese one.
Ahaha, it was jarring to me because I was expecting something higher.

Need to hear more of Alvin's.

Wonko_C

All I hear is: 2 young males (I assume one of them is Millia), 1 young female, 1 male adult. Other than that, me like.

The combat looks more like a fighting game compared to Graces f this time around too. :)

Jucksalbe

Banned
I'm not gonna fault anyone who likes the narratively-based Tales games because they've been mostly exposed to them, so why should I take issue with people not liking the ones I like? I honestly don't care.

Or, you know, they could just like them better because they prefer that style.
Anyway, I like Xillia (or what I played of it so far) and I don't understand a word of it. So it's not just the narrative that keeps it going.

I think that would depend on how Xillia does.

And maybe they don't want to announce a release date just in case there's a slight delay? "Summer" is a pretty nice general time frame and we've only had that info for what, a month or two?

For me, Mid July / Early August is an excellenct time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anyway, I like Xillia (or what I played of it so far) and I don't understand a word of it. So it's not just the narrative that keeps it going.
Well, that's what I was getting at, but I shouldn't have been as, uh... well, I should've fixed the tone of the sentence.

Sorry about that.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Jude is the most broken character live played in a game. Ever.

cj_iwakura

Wow does this game look gorgeous and stylistic. Can't wait.

And I liked Lightning's voice, haters gon hate.
Worst birthday ever.

chrono01

I look forward to pre-ordering the "Limited Edition" off of Namco's online store [I'm almost positive that there will be one, considering the excitement for this title], waiting a week after it releases for it to ship [if at all], with little to no communication as to what's happening.

I cannot forget the Wizard's Edition incident...

But yeah, the English VO's don't sound amazing to me. I won't pass judgement until I play the game for myself in its entirely, so I'll remain cautiously optimistic.

I'm just happy that we're finally getting this game. It's been a long time coming.

Top Bottom