• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Hitman: Absolution reviews hit

Derrick01

Banned
Derrick, you're turning me into a bitter man. I held out hope that Absolution could prove to be an evolution of Blood Money and this is what I'm rewarded with. You knew all along...

I sadly have years of experience of precious franchises being destroyed. I know the signs when I see them now.

It's not something I'm proud of :(

Riposte

A good rule of thumb is not to let the whiners name an OT. I mean "Shit Mountain" was funny, but I can't stand the sight of bitterness.

Apparently, a friend of mine tried it and just sent me a text message. "Hitman: Absolution, what a disappointment..."
I'm assuming he tried a demo (he went to a game convention in Italy today), so if he comes back later he might give me a minireview, in case anyone's interested.

eshwaaz

I so want this to be good, but that PC Gamer review is brutal.

At the very least, I hope IO is working on a patch for the checkpoint system. It's been a consistent complaint in every review, even the positive ones.

sflufan

Banned
Apparently, a friend of mine tried it and just sent me a text message. "Hitman: Absolution, what a disappointment..."
I'm assuming he tried a demo (he went to a game convention in Italy today), so if he comes back later he might give me a minireview, in case anyone's interested.

I certainly am!

rvy

Banned
Unless the EDGE and EG reviews are awful, I'll buy this regardless. AC III is boring me to death and I can't play Halo 4 all the time.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Derrick01

Banned

I'm always interested in a good old fashioned pile on.

RevDM

Banned
I have a good feeling about absolution. Sure maybe the reviews are saying things like dead guards respawn. Well, you don't exactly play hitman to kill guards. You kill the targets and targets only. I look forward to making ridiculously planned out kills like in BM. For example, don't change out of suit and fiber wire a dude in that 5 second window you have.

This game is easy if you want it to be CoD, it will be a mother fucker if you never equip your gun.

can we please stop saying this in every review thread

Haha, FUCK THIS. I'm going to go find a copy of Hitman: Contracts and forget about this game.

edit: Hitman Absolution |OT| more ass than assassin

Oh, wow. This doesn't sound good at all. I was really excited about AC3. Then I heard the complaints that changed my opinion. So then I thought Hitman would be the next game I buy. Now reading these issues is making me change my mind.

God, I hope Far Cry 3 is good.

This is why I hardly play games anymore. Dumb down, stupid shit like this.

I never played Blood Money. Maybe I'll find a copy.

Eideka

Banned
Roughly speaking, 50% of them are good and intelligent gamers, the other half is a bunch of whiny, pessimistic, manipulative and sad human beings who love to bitch and see games fall so they can argue

Taken from the Hitman forums.

Dat salt.

Saty

I thought |OT| Man Hit, Bail Out Son was a given ever since the first time the amalgam was pointed out.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
lX18V.jpg

DukeBobby

What about the gameplay videos, the opinions of people who actually played the game etc.?

Aside from the 'Run For Your Life' video, the gameplay shown in the videos is not too dissimilar to the older games.

Also, haven't most of the opinions from people who have played the game been quite positive? Why have these been completely ignored? Why has this PC Gamer review been heralded as definitive proof that the game is a 'betrayal' to all Hitman fans?

Ciastek3214

The ones not claiming the game to be a complete disaster after one negative review.

I don't know. This one review seemed like it was written by someone that loved Hitman series which is not the case with the other reviews. You can see the dissapointment in the way the reviewer wrote about the cons.

You know, I don't really get why people are so offensive against Derrick01. He had many of his favorite franchises completely destroyed, either by dumbing down for consoles or casual gamers, or just developers not getting what made the franchise so great. I hated Splinter Cell Conviction, Max Payne 3, Rayman fucking Raving Rabbids, was dissapointed with Deus Ex Human Revolution because of that. So it's only natural that he and some others are being pessimistic seeing how studios market new games from great franchises, Hitman Absolution being one of them. They don't really want to hate the games themselves, they hate the direction that franchises are going in. At least that's what I think is the case based on my feelings towards this.

Aside from the 'Run For Your Life' video, the gameplay shown in the videos is not too dissimilar to the older games.

Also, haven't most of the opinions from people who have played the game been quite positive? Why have these been completely ignored? Why has this PC Gamer review been heralded as definite proof that the game is a 'betrayal' to all Hitman fans?

The levels looked smaller, without many opportunities. The disguise system looks dumb and an involution from BM's system: why do I have to consume a bar to stay undetected? Why does the bar refill with killing, of all things?
Checkpoints probably means there won't be as much freedom as we want to, either.
Also, while some might have been positive, the users that actually relased informations basically confirmed my doubts. Two friends of mine have tried it: one said it really didn't leave a mark and colored it as "Meh", while I'm still waiting for the review of the other one, who called the game "A disappointment". These two have based their experience on a demo, mind you, not the actual game.

The ones not claiming the game to be a complete disaster after one negative review.

Pretty much. The review has made me a lot more reserved about the game, but I'm not gonna go all out and spout shit about how terrible it clearly is because of one guy's opinion. From the gameplay videos I've seen, there seems to be a mix of classic Hitman gameplay, and less welcome "get from point A to point B" crap. Doesn't mean the whole thing will be bad.

Also, haven't most of the opinions from people who have played the game been quite positive? Why have these been completely ignored? Why has this PC Gamer review been heralded as definitive proof that the game is a 'betrayal' to all Hitman fans?

The harshest reviews are always the most accurate.

Derrick01

Banned

As stated before a lot of the complaints in the PC Gamer review were in many of the good reviews. They just scored accordingly because they understand that those complaints make a bad Hitman game whereas the others treated it like nitpicks.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
from Hitman forum. Imo pretty good post.

LOL Neogaf.

It's led by there merry bitter man Derrek (the guy with the adam jensen avatar).

He hates the game, simply based off previews and word of mouth. This 1 review apparently validates EVERYTHING for him. It must have been like thorns in his intestines seeing positive glowing reviews for game that must have been assuredly awful.

Many of the members have been influenced by him, and it's truly comedy how 1 negative review can outshine the handful of positive reviews we've seen. Some people just WANT to hate this game it seems. Quite sad. Play the game, from beginning to end, and if you still wish to hate on the game than that's fine with me.

But this, this is just ridiculous. Seeing the knee jerk reaction on neogaf, from 1 negative review just goes to show how influential 1 man and his words can be.

rvy

Banned
I think 343 did a nice job of proving that franchises can survive and thrive as long as the new team knows what they're doing. If Absolutions sucks, it can't be because people left IO, that's not a valid excuse.

Hindle

Banned
They can fuck off if they think I'm buying this now, that's it. Fucking incompetent, useless developers these days.

Top Bottom