• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Hitman: Absolution reviews hit

KingKong

Oh god, please stop with this bullshit. What makes the other reviews dishonest? Is it because they liked the game?

Official Playstation and Official XBox magazines are awful reviewers

Of course this should have been obvious as soon as we found out about the checkpoint system and the 'Hitman vision'

Ciastek3214

Oh god, please stop with this bullshit. What makes the other reviews dishonest? Is it because they liked the game?

I refer to my earlier post from last page. Also, people that are fans of something think about bad things about it as much as good things. They tend to be the ones more dissapointed because they care and it's always them that point out the most flaws, because they really want it to be good or better than previous installments. Let's take the complaint about checkpoints in that PC Gamer review. If you played Hitman and understood what made it great, then you should understand why this big change in its core design can destroy the greatness in it, but if you play it for the first time, or didn't care much about Hitman games in general, then you take it as a no big deal.

Hindle

Banned
I can only imagine when this team first sat down to make this game. Let's make it as linear as possible and shit all over the fans is what came out of that meeting.

DukeBobby

That's great and all but you gotta take a franchise by its roots. Hitman is primarly a PC game.

Except that every Hitman game except the original have also been on consoles.

Also, The Crusty Juggler was wrong by saying that the early reviewers had never played the franchise before. I proved him wrong, as the few I mentioned had all played and reviewed Blood Money (widely regarded as the best in the franchise).

Have the individual persons who reviewed Absolution played the earlier games?

It's very likely that they got somebody who has played the previous games (at least Blood Money) to review Absolution. You are right though, I can't be absolutely sure.

Ciastek3214

Except that every Hitman game except the original have also been on consoles.

I rest my case.

Also, The Crusty Juggler was wrong by saying that the early reviewers had never played the franchise before. I proved him wrong, as the few I mentioned had all played and reviewed Blood Money (widely regarded as the best in the franchise).

It's fucking impossible to understand what made the franchise great if you played only one game from it.

Socreges

Banned
Kinda surprised by how many of you are jumping to conclusions in here. I can understand being discouraged, but wait for a greater variety of reviews/impressions before losing your shit.

Hindle

Banned
Kinda surprised by how many of you are jumping to conclusions in here. I can understand being discouraged, but wait for a greater variety of reviews/impressions before losing your shit.

The review from PC gamer came from a long term fan, I can tell the difference with the way he writes about the series. Hence I got a bit pissed,

Socreges

Banned
The review from PC gamer came from a long term fan, I can tell the difference with the way he writes about the series. Hence I got a bit pissed,
Didn't even realize that the majority of the ridiculous posts I was reading were from one person - you.
KuGsj.gif

I hope you recover.

Hindle

Banned
Listen, you're not gonna sell over a million units if your game doesn't feature checkpoints in this day and age. This doesn't mean that the game sucks.

Didn't Blood Money sell 2m back in 2006? That figure would be higher these days if that game came out now.

Hindle

Banned
Didn't even realize that the majority of the ridiculous posts I was reading were from one person - you.
KuGsj.gif

I hope you recover.

:D what can I say? I guess I'm ridiculous for not wanting an excellent series get ruined by game devs chasing accessibility.

RedSwirl

Holy shit, I forgot Hitman games even had a first person mode. I don't think I ever used it in Blood Money, or even knew it was there.

Socreges

Banned
BTW, since when does being a "long term fan" of something absolve someone from being hyperbolic or inaccurate? You're likely to get people who are so heavily influenced by tradition that any change, positive or negative, is met with absurd resistance.

I'm not saying that these changes aren't bad. Some sound bad for sure. But I'm not about make up my mind on this game based on one person's opinion.

Lakitu

st5fu
You like some games, don't you Derrick? I think you and some other guy are notoriously known for not liking anything.

I think I'll see how the word of mouth for this one goes before I think of buying it.

I'm sorry I keep looking at this:

Cons
- No saving, checkpoint system is awful - even an AI glitch can lead to you having to restart the level, also doesn't save data such as disguises or items you've left, and guards killed will respawn
- Focus on (embarrassingly bad) story over gameplay
- PC performance was awful, they tried out on 3 different PCs - two can run Skyrim smoothly yet get 15fps in Hitman on minimal settings, with occasional freezes of over a second, and load times of over a minute
- A lot of gameplay involves you getting to a door to trigger a cutscene
- The amount of kills you have control over how they're executed is about 25%, even then it's not as expansive as Blood Money
- Equipment system - can't choose weapons in main missions, or carry weapons over between missions
- Guard AI is strange, they will sometimes detect you walking where commando rolling wouldn't get you detected
- "Sneak by covering your face" idea is laughable
- DRM on Contracts mode - can't play any contracts, even your own, offline

And the only thing that I think deserves any sort of proper criticism is the bolded. The rest I don't care about because there are conflicting accounts (like PC performance) and some are criticisms that don't make sense to get so pissy about based on the explanations given (covering face with hand, DRM on contracts mode, slightly uneven guard AI, 'embarrassingly bad' story, equipment system). The checkpoint system doesn't sound great but I shan't cry about it provided they get the core game/atmosphere right.

DukeBobby

You like some games, don't you Derrick? I think you and some other guy are notoriously known for not liking anything.

I think I'll see how the word of mouth for this one goes before I think of buying it.

He likes Obsidian games.

Games that have good stories/dialogue, but poor gameplay.

I rest my case.

It's fucking impossible to understand what made the franchise great if you played only one game from it.

Isn't Hitman: Codename 47 known to be the worst in the franchise?

And, isn't Blood Money considered the best in the franchise, perfecting the Hitman formula? I pretty sure you can understand what made the franchise so great by playing it. Even Derrick would agree.

Ciastek3214

No, that's a totally reasonable concern. Not what I'm talking about, but anyway....

I know what you mean, and I don't think it's that changes are always bad. It's just what you want to achieve with them that can be bad. Making a game from hardcore franchise more accesible to the point it changes the core design is mostly bad, but making risks so that you make the game harder, or put more variety into it I think should be encouraged, and it mostly is. I can't give you any examples right now as my memory is not functioning as well as it would it it weren't 1 AM over here.

Socreges

Banned
I know what you mean, and I don't think it's that changes are always bad. It's just what you want to achieve with them that can be bad. Making a game from hardcore franchise more accesible to the point it changes the core design is mostly bad, but making risks so that you make the game harder, or put more variety into it I think should be encouraged, and it mostly is. I can't give you any examples right now as my memory is not functioning as well as it would it it weren't 1 AM over here.
And that could definitely be the case here. My only point is we don't know for certain if the 'essence' of the series has truly been nerfed (I suspect some will agree with the PC review) or if these changes are as severe as he makes it sound.

Just get over yourselves for now and give the review a bit more scrutiny/doubt.

I feel like I'm in too deep with this one. Too much invested emotion. I'm going to brave the dark waters ahead and keep my pre-order on Steam. I still remember getting that CD-ROM of Codename 47 way back when; that feeling of first booting it up on my shitty HP (or was it Packard Bell?). Either way, I feel confident I have the knowledge of the Hitman series to play this and go from there. I just don't know anymore, and this push-pull is killing me folks. KILLING ME!

Ciastek3214

And that could definitely be the case here. My only point is we don't know for certain if the 'essence' of the series has truly been nerfed (I suspect some will agree with the PC review) or if these changes are as severe as he makes it sound.

Just get over yourselves for now and give the review a bit more scrutiny/doubt.

Well there are checkpoints, Instinct, Mark and Execute, and other things that were confirmed and don't sit well at all with the traditional Hitman gameplay.

I feel like I'm in too deep with this one. Too much invested emotion. I'm going to brave the dark waters ahead and keep my pre-order on Steam. I still remember getting that CD-ROM of Codename 47 way back when; that feeling of first booting it up on my shitty HP (or was it Packard Bell?). Either way, I feel confident I have the knowledge of the Hitman series to play this and go from there. I just don't know anymore, and this push-pull is killing me folks. KILLING ME!

If you are really curious as to what it is, and how it plays, I would say keep it. Just lower your expectations or better, don't have any, or you may get very dissapointed.

RevDM

Banned
People bitching about checkpoints. Motherfucking Silver Surfer never had checkpoints.

Here's an idea: Don't die. Don't get noticed. Don't kill anyone except the targets.

Zeliard

Not sure about M&E but the rest can be turned off by increasing your difficulty.

Yeah that stuff doesn't concern me much if higher difficulties toggle it off. The biggest issues are the apparent small levels where you're funneled through from one point to another, and the lack of avenues for creativity in assassinations.

Well there are checkpoints, Instinct, Mark and Execute, and other things that were confirmed and don't sit well at all with the traditional Hitman gameplay.

If you are really curious as to what it is, and how it plays, I would say keep it. Just lower your expectations or better, don't have any, or you may get very dissapointed.

Yea; I may be a bit more lenient than some people here regarding the game, I don't know. All I know is it's a new Hitman game, and I want to give it a chance, the money to me isn't the issue right now. Though I can see the argument in not wanting to 'support' the effort. Regardless, it's essentially paid for, so I don't see a reason to deal with canceling my pre-order now.

I really do hope that the game is good. My expectations are reserved though, after following closely the fuck-ups and shenanigans with this game.

I just hope I'm proven wrong on some of these things.

Ciastek3214

Not sure about M&E but the rest can be turned off by increasing your difficulty.

Yeah, but you know, they still designed the maps around using all these features, so turning them off makes the game harder in not a fair way. It's always the case that when devs make the new, "cool" features they want you to use them, and use them many times so they design the game the way that encourages, and sometimes even requires using them.

Yea; I may be a bit more lenient than some people here regarding the game, I don't know. All I know is it's a new Hitman game, and I want to give it a chance, the money to me isn't the issue right now. Though I can see the argument in not wanting to 'support' the effort. Regardless, it's essentially paid for, so I don't see a reason to deal with canceling my pre-order now.

I really do hope that the game is good. My expectations are reserved though, after following closely the fuck-ups and shenanigans with this game.

I just hope I'm proven wrong on some of these things.

Then I would say, keep it, play it, and go into detail about how it stays or goes away from Hitman's spirit. I don't plan on playing this game anytime soon, so I would like to get more insight from fans of the series.

Weird hearing the bad frame rate from PC Gamer. Strange because Kane and Lynch 2 had the same problems on the last rig I had. Horrible framerate on more than decent specs. Looks like IO needs to hire some people to optimize shit. My fingers are crossed because I already preordered on PC......fuck.

People bitching about checkpoints. Motherfucking Silver Surfer never had checkpoints.

Here's an idea: Don't die. Don't get noticed. Don't kill anyone except the targets.

how do you account for the ai glitches that, according to pc gamer, force you to restart?

can we code the game on the fly?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
how do you account for the ai glitches that, according to pc gamer, force you to restart?

can we code the game on the fly?

What even is that glitch? Are we basing it off that one line that was typed here?

You can play the game without checkpoints if that causes any glitch like that, and they're disabled completely on higher difficulties.

Top Bottom