• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Intel Core i7 8700K review leaked

Well, I am out then if the other reviews confirm this. If Intel can't be buggered to get temps under control I am not going to bother with their CPUs.

I will take the potential FPS hit and go with Ryzen or just wait for Ryzen 2. Intel can take their substandard paste BS instead of proper TIM solder and shove it.

I mean the base clock alone is higher than most Ryzen CPUs overclocked I believe, and you have the extra cores also so what do you really want?

10c hotter than the 7700K?

LOL. Intel are going to tell us not to overlock again aren't they?

Time to redesign the age old pc case into a mini fridge.

If there is one thing Intel need to improve on with their newer chips it has to be temps, they want to add more cores to compete but at the same time they have to downclock them a lot and they still run piping hot.

dr_rus

Time to redesign the age old pc case into a mini fridge.

If there is one thing Intel need to improve on with their newer chips it has to be temps, they want to add more cores to compete but at the same time they have to downclock them a lot and they still run piping hot.

2.3% downclock on a new hexacore from a fastest quadcore on the market is a lot?

StereoVsn

It has 50% more cores and runs on essentially the same clocks on the same process. What is so surprising here?
7700k temperatures were not really something that should have happened. Now we are running 10 degrees higher then that. You don't see a problem here?

Gasian

What is the context of those temperatures anyway?

Don't know, I assume that is full load at stock speeds? Just those temps are bad, because that leaves pretty much no room to safely overclock whatsoever
and no one want their PC to catch on fire
. Only option would be to delid the CPU (which is really only recommended for the biggest enthusiasts)

But like what has been said in here, we won't know for sure until reviewers tell us what is up with those temps for sure. All I know is I would never get a CPU that gets that hot, not worth the risk to me.

Don't know, I assume that is full load at stock speeds? Just those temps are bad, because that leaves pretty much no room to safely overclock whatsoever
and no one want their PC to catch on fire
. Only option would be to delid the CPU (which is really only recommended for the biggest enthusiasts)

But like what has been said in here, we won't know for sure until reviewers tell us what is up with those temps for sure. All I know is I would never get a CPU that gets that hot, not worth the risk to me.

What temperature do you think is dangerous for the CPU?

zer0das

Banned
What temperature do you think is dangerous for the CPU?

Well, if it gets much higher there's not going to be much if any overhead to overclock... and it seems like they are higher than the already high 7700k... so lol. I expect to see more people jumpy about delidding in the coming months.

dr_rus

7700k temperatures were not really something that should have happened. Now we are running 10 degrees higher then that. You don't see a problem here?

What's wrong with 7700K temperatures?

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9VL0YvNjQwMDIzL29yaWdpbmFsLzAyLVBvd2VyLUNvbnN1bXB0aW9uLUdhbWluZy5wbmc=

I mean, they are on the higher side of things but this is a top end CPU, it is pretty much always like this with them, which is why I personally prefer mid-range HEDT "ticks" as they are usually rather cool. With 8700K there will be an option of 8700 which is only 100MHz slower in general but is rated at 65W TDP.

Also I know an old Gulftown CPU which is running at 100C at full load without much issues for more than seven years now. So it's really a question of which temperature a CPU can live with. Then there's AIOs which is pretty much a standard thing on top K models as people rarely buy these to run them at stock clocks.

Sanjay

Dont upgrade your i5 2500k or i5 3570k cpus for gaming at 4k, benchmarks show no gains at all.

Would like to see 1440p benchmarks.

But really getting cutting edge cpus and no gains at cutting edge gaming standards. Meh.

Renekton

Dont upgrade your i5 2500k or i5 3570k cpus for gaming at 4k, benchmarks show no gains at all.

But really getting cutting edge cpus and no gains at cutting edge gaming standards. Meh.
I think going to higher bandwidth DDR4 memory should have positive impact for 4K gaming.

Also less stutters when going to latest i7, even at 4K.

Wait what, seriously? I mean, it's one review, but that's disheartening to hear. Guess the wait continues.

Mrbob

Well, I am out then if the other reviews confirm this. If Intel can't be buggered to get temps under control I am not going to bother with their CPUs.

I will take the potential FPS hit and go with Ryzen or just wait for Ryzen 2. Intel can take their substandard paste BS instead of proper TIM solder and shove it.
It's not a bad idea. You can buy a 1600 now and then pop a Ryzen 2 into your motherboard in 2019.

ss_lemonade

Don't some games still benefit? I quickly tried Crysis 3 and see the same framerate drops at the starting area in 1080p and in 4k (below 60fps), leading me to believe that my 4.5ghz 3570k is holding me back.

Mrbob

There is a jump but I would say the biggest benefit is in minimum frame rate. When the screen gets crazy an older i5 has trouble keeping up.

supersaw

There is still a lot of games that push one core harder than the others, in those types of games your cpu age will show as will your slower ram.

There have been significant gains in single and multicore performance, and it makes a difference in games.

JWiLL

Banned
With a 6700K you should be well above 60fps at all times in Overwatch, even when streaming. Unless you're using some high quality encoding settings, I don't think your CPU is the bottleneck.

I meant the stream, not in game. I get a constant 142 in game (capped for G Sync).

I've actually tinkered and fixed my frame drop issue over the last couple days. Turns out it was the Twitch server I was using, despite having a good ping to it.

Pretty pleased it didn't end up being a hardware issue. Didn't have a single dropped frame while testing.

elyetis

I mean the base clock alone is higher than most Ryzen CPUs overclocked I believe, and you have the extra cores also so what do you really want?
I don't really get it either. I mean I'm all for lower temp to have more room for overclocking, but if you do care about that the reaction shouldn't be to go for something slower.

Jesus that is impressive. I can't believe that level of power in a 15 Watt.

For reference, last year Kyle set up a 2600k pc up against a modern skylake build, and by upgrading the GPU, it didn't seem like the 2600k was bottlenecked in many instances (with a 970); https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9EJNa0y524

I mean. It's not that 2600k is any good by todays standards. But. 15 Watt CPUs fit inside the stupid thin ultrabooks with 10-12+ hour battery life. 2600k level of performance.. That is going to make multitasking in producitivity apps a completely different game.

And if this is the gains in the 15 watt, what are we looking at with mobile quadcores?

And if the 8-core desktop CPU are landing Q2 or Q3 2018, does that mean we will see laptop quadcores next year too?

JWiLL

Banned
I'm really curious about thermals on this thing, more than any other aspect of the reviews.

I built my PC last year just prior to the 7700k releasing and didn't regret it, since I have basically equal performance with my OC'd 6700k and the temps are better. Never goes above 70 at 4.5ghz on just a Cryorig H7.

StereoVsn

What's wrong with 7700K temperatures?

aHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmJlc3RvZm1pY3JvLmNvbS9VL0YvNjQwMDIzL29yaWdpbmFsLzAyLVBvd2VyLUNvbnN1bXB0aW9uLUdhbWluZy5wbmc=

I mean, they are on the higher side of things but this is a top end CPU, it is pretty much always like this with them, which is why I personally prefer mid-range HEDT "ticks" as they are usually rather cool. With 8700K there will be an option of 8700 which is only 100MHz slower in general but is rated at 65W TDP.

Also I know an old Gulftown CPU which is running at 100C at full load without much issues for more than seven years now. So it's really a question of which temperature a CPU can live with. Then there's AIOs which is pretty much a standard thing on top K models as people rarely buy these to run them at stock clocks.
I have seen reports of quite a bit higher temps on 7700k, especially OC'd. Now add 10 degrees to that and you will be running that 100 degrees on a 6 core with terrible thermal compound. I just don't trust that to last or not overhear my case. Mind you I do run the standalone corsair water cooler for CPU but still don't want to see those temps.

Suggestion below for grabbing 1600 or 1600x this year and upgrading to Ryzen 2 on sale mboard toward end of 2018 or in 2019 kind of makes sense. Plus I mainly game at 3400 x 1440 so I am more GPU limited anyway (waiting for next year to upgrade my 980ti).

dr_rus

Another review leak/early review, this time of both 8600K and 8700K, these results are looking pretty good.
http://lab501.ro/procesoare-chipset...-i5-8600k-coffee-lake-aorus-z370-ultra-gaming

Less than a week to go to know for sure how it performs.

Best of both worlds, as expected - fastest single thread performance helps in gaming while +2 cores pushes productivity benchmarks into R7 1800X level. 8700K will be pretty much unbeatable in gaming for quite some time.

horkrux

I have seen reports of quite a bit higher temps on 7700k, especially OC'd. Now add 10 degrees to that and you will be running that 100 degrees on a 6 core with terrible thermal compound. I just don't trust that to last or not overhear my case. Mind you I do run the standalone corsair water cooler for CPU but still don't want to see those temps.

Suggestion below for grabbing 1600 or 1600x this year and upgrading to Ryzen 2 on sale mboard toward end of 2018 or in 2019 kind of makes sense. Plus I mainly game at 3400 x 1440 so I am more GPU limited anyway (waiting for next year to upgrade my 980ti).

Why does it make sense? You could run these CPUs at stock and would still have significantly higher clocks than with Ryzen, without egregiously high temperatures if you don't OC.

Seik

Banned

It's NEVER a good time to upgrade, honestly. :lol

My 2500K is getting really old, the PSU as well, I fear it'll fry my PC at some point because I'm really stretching its lifetime. (It's now 8 years old.)

Kareha

I wish Intel would just drop the embargo and just let reviewers publish their reviews given the whole thing is leaking out anyway.

So you're upset that the hardware you bought a few years ago is still very competent?

Yes, we should be much, much farther in terms of performance in the CPU area.

Every area in the IT industry is soaring (SSDs, networking, GPU etc) but in the CPU we have at best a meansly 10% increase.

I want to upgrade my aging DDR2 server to my current pc, but i don´t want to do a meaningless upgrade for me either.

Mrbob

I think that review ran all other CPUs at default speed though except the 8600k at 5.1ghz. That's my only issue with the numbers. The 8700k should be able to go to at least 4.5 GHz vs 3.7, and all the Ryzen chips should hit 3.8-3.9 GHz. Its nice that a super over clocked 8600k can hang with the 8700k but it's not really a fair comparison when the 8700k can be over clocked as well.

THEaaron

Every area in the IT industry is soaring (SSDs, networking, GPU etc) but in the CPU we have at best a meansly 10% increase.

I want to upgrade my aging DDR2 server to my current pc, but i don´t want to do a meaningless upgrade for me either.

You are saying that from the viewpoint of a professioal engineer, I presume.

jediyoshi

You forgot to quantify the other areas in terms of percentages, I am fascinated.

Top Bottom