• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Intel Core i7 8700K review leaked

dr_rus

On an unrelated note, Intel seem to just casually leaked the name of their post-Tiger Lake architecture: Intel "Sapphire Rapids" Micro-architecture Succeeds "Tiger Lake"

This one was for some time rumored to be a first big Intel's CPU architecture update since Haswell.

I have seen reports of quite a bit higher temps on 7700k, especially OC'd. Now add 10 degrees to that and you will be running that 100 degrees on a 6 core with terrible thermal compound. I just don't trust that to last or not overhear my case. Mind you I do run the standalone corsair water cooler for CPU but still don't want to see those temps.
Why would you use OCed temperatures to judge a stock CPU results? As an example: my 6850K pretty much never runs hotter than 60C at stock clocks, even under a heavy load like Prime95. If I just toggle "all core turbo" in BIOS which forces all cores to run at 4GHz under load the temps go into 90C+. So what should this tell me considering that there's like zero performance difference in gaming between these modes?

Suggestion below for grabbing 1600 or 1600x this year and upgrading to Ryzen 2 on sale mboard toward end of 2018 or in 2019 kind of makes sense. Plus I mainly game at 3400 x 1440 so I am more GPU limited anyway (waiting for next year to upgrade my 980ti).
It makes sense if you're willing to have a CPU with less performance for about a year and a half and then upgrade it to a new CPU in the old platform when the new ones will add things like PCIE 4.0 and USB 3.2. I generally prefer to go for the best thing which is available right now instead of hoping that something compatible will come out tomorrow as chances are that by that time you'll want to do a full upgrade again anyway.

ezodagrom

With this newest leak, we can see what turbo clocks the 8700K runs at for each core.
1C - 4.7
2C - 4.6
3C - 4.5
4C and 5C - 4.4
6C - 4.3

BIOS-03.jpg

dr_rus

With this newest leak, we can see what turbo clocks the 8700K runs at for each core.
1C - 4.7
2C - 4.6
3C - 4.5
4C and 5C - 4.4
6C - 4.3

Yeah, I have no idea why Intel decided to hide this as it would leak anyway through BIOSes and manuals.

ezodagrom

Renekton

Turns out Intel may have a valid reason for restricting Coffee Lake to Z370 platform - power delivery to the new CPUs. What is also interesting is that the Z390 promises "performance improvements". Anyways Z370 is clearly a rushed stopgap.

We were also told that the Z370 chipset is more of a stop-gap solution for immediate launch, and that Z370 contains trace optimizations for power delivery that are necessary to make Coffee Lake work well. This is the real reason that Coffee Lake isn't meant to be compatible with Z200 chipsets. We learned through multiple sources that some earlier engineering boards supported intercompatibility between the products, but that this was eventually disabled in firmware to ensure Coffee Lake is used on platforms which have had their power delivery optimized properly. We learned that Z390 should carry with it greater performance improvements than found on Z370, but don't have further information than that.
Gamers Nexus Link

Turns out Intel may have a valid reason for restricting Coffee Lake to Z370 platform - power delivery to the new CPUs. What is also interesting is that the Z390 promises "performance improvements". Anyways Z370 is clearly a rushed stopgap.

Gamers Nexus Link

PC Per was speculating on their last podcast about this. Basically, they thought that some of the crappier kaby lake boards might not be able to support the power requirements of the new chips, even if some of the KB boards might be fine with it. I think it makes sense, if that's the case.

I'm on a 6700k. If they drop the 8 core fury next year I'll probably upgrade. :p

Zojirushi

I have the same CPU. This new Intel one looks underwhelming comparatively.

Jesus Christ you guys, of course you're good, you bought a CPU just some months ago. We'd probably be traveling the Galaxy if tech moved that fast that it'd made sense for you to upgrade already...

Mrbob

Gamers Nexus Link
I'm leaning towards an 8700k but I think I'm waiting for z390 first.

cofias

Alright so wait and watch them reviews and then another while longer for the new motherboard.

z390 are said to be coming at some point during the second half of 2018 though, so you might be looking at a coffee lake refresh, 9xxx series around that time or not too long after. Not to mention a Ryzen update before then as well

Renekton

Z390 is 1H 2018, but the fun part is that comes close to the potential 8-core refresh in 2H.

Waiting for just the right tech to upgrade has always been hairpulling 😁

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Z390 is 1H 2018, but the fun part is that comes close to the potential 8-core refresh in 2H.

Waiting for just the right tech to upgrade has always been hairpulling 😁

Oh, I thought I remember reading that the z390 was 2H. Either way I was about to upgrade my 2500k until I read about the z390 on here a couple of weeks ago. lol

Renekton

Oh, I thought I remember reading that the z390 was 2H. Either way I was about to upgrade my 2500k until I read about the z390 on here a couple of weeks ago. lol
Oops sorry you are right, I just double-checked Gamers Nexus and Z390 is missing from the latest chart.

dr_rus

Gamers Nexus Link

That wasn't obvious for someone?

What is still puzzling is why they are limiting Z370 to CFL CPUs only. With basically zero improvements in Z370 over 200 series chipsets this is somewhat of a weird decision and it will put some limits on possible upgrade paths.

Oops sorry you are right, I just double-checked Gamers Nexus and Z390 is missing from the latest chart.

Z390 is 2H18:

3I5c.jpg

1H18 is the rest of 300 series but not Z390 (B360, Q3x0, etc)

It's somewhat likely that they've delayed Z390 to give Z370 more time on the market and make sure that Z390 will be able to work with an 8C CFL in 2018.

Xater

Jesus Christ you guys, of course you're good, you bought a CPU just some months ago. We'd probably be traveling the Galaxy if tech moved that fast that it'd made sense for you to upgrade already...

You have to factor in the prices though. How does Intel intend to justify them? Underwhelming is the right word here.

Mrbob

That's been posted but now there is an English version so thanks for linking that again. Now being able to read the text it seems like an over clocked 8600k might be the price to performance Intel champion for strictly gaming.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sucks that we still don't know when the Z370 mobos are gonna drop.

Renekton

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Coffee-Lake-Codename-266775/News/Z270-Inkompatibilitaet-Grund-1240154/

Google Translate said:
Intel had allocated some pins, which had previously supplied the integrated graphics unit with power, to the CPU cores. In addition, there have been unused pins, which are already used by the motherboard manufacturers for voltage supply. On the Z270 boards, Intel had assigned this a fixed function. The result: Coffee-Lake S-CPUs could literally burn on high-end Z270 models, because they got too high tensions over these pins.

Pin layout comparison between CFL and KBL

ethomaz

Banned
1C - 4.7
2C - 4.6
3C - 4.5
4C and 5C - 4.4
6C - 4.3
Yeap... the bench in OP only shows the CPU going from 4.3 to 4.7Ghz but it i weird it only matched 7700K while in fixed 4.5Ghz it beat it by 10%.

And I find that really hard to believe taking into consideration the results, and so, it's better to wait for proper release day reviews.
Well it is confirmed now in others benches its runs from 4.3 to 4.7Ghz...

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
5th of October. There is no other option as CFLs launch on this date and Z370 is the only chipset which support them.

Makes sense. Can't wait. Ordering on day one. Waiting to play games again but not until your pc is ready is an excruciating experience. My sim racing rig is collecting dust lol.

-shadow-

Yeah I still can't find any pre-orders for the Netherlands yet. Which sucks, since I really want to start ordering already and have my PC build by the end of next week if possible.

Same here. Apparently now Z390 is coming out during the second half of 2018...when Ice Lake is rumored to come out so I guess I'll also be waiting for that. I would prefer Intel to integrate 802.11ac, Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3, quad-core audio, USB 3.1 gen 2, and modern standby support on their boards.

I just do not want Z370 and I'm not impressed that it's yet another rebadge with minor/little improvements from Z270.

Same here. Apparently now Z390 is coming out during the second half of 2018...when Ice Lake is rumored to come out so I guess I'll also be waiting for that. I would prefer Intel to integrate 802.11ac, Titan Ridge Thunderbolt 3, quad-core audio, USB 3.1 gen 2, and modern standby support on their boards.

I just do not want Z370 and I'm not impressed that it's yet another rebadge with minor/little improvements from Z270.

What CPU do you have right now?

ezodagrom

I wouldn't count on Icelake on H2 2018, there's a rumour about 8c/16t Coffee Lake though, if I'm not mistaken.

What CPU do you have right now?

Officially haven't built a machine since 2008 as I switched to laptops, but that build had a C2Q Q9450 in it. Right now my laptop has a Core i7 4960HQ (Haswell) and it's running just fine.

I was going to build a machine earlier this year but then I backed the Dan A4-SFX v2 case so I was going to wait either way. I'm fine with Coffee Lake/8700K, but I don't want yet another chipset that's had very little changed since Z170/Z270 IMO - hence me wanting Z390.

I wouldn't count on Icelake on H2 2018, there's a rumour about 8c/16t Coffee Lake though, if I'm not mistaken.

You could be right - I kept reading on r/Intel and a few other websites that Ice Lake would be the 8C/16T but it may in fact just be Coffee Lake like you said. I'm absolutely fine with Coffee Lake 8C/16T instead of Ice Lake 8C/16T, as I just want the Z390 chipset!

Zojirushi

Sweclockers reporting that supply of Coffee Lakes CPU will be low at launch and will likely remain so until mid-December at least.

If they're gonna paper launch this bitch and have low availability until the next CPUs are already on the horizon they can fuck right off and I'm just gonna play my console and older PC backlog for the next twelve months or something. Ugh.

So I have a desktop PC, getting on a bit, 3570K. I play Overwatch and Battlegrounds on it. I'm kinda minimalist though, so I absolute hate having the thing, and wish I could relegate it to NAS duties again (or replace it with a NAS). I do all my 'non-gaming tasks on my laptop, and I primarily game on PS4 (pro) anyway.

But dammit, I really want to spend a fortune on an 8700k, motherboard and DDR4 upgrade, so I can run Battlegrounds better. This fucking game has flipped my shit and is forcing my hand.

Zojirushi

So I have a desktop PC, getting on a bit, 3570K. I play Overwatch and Battlegrounds on it. I'm kinda minimalist though, so I absolute hate having the thing, and wish I could relegate it to NAS duties again (or replace it with a NAS). I do all my 'non-gaming tasks on my laptop, and I primarily game on PS4 (pro) anyway.

But dammit, I really want to spend a fortune on an 8700k, motherboard and DDR4 upgrade, so I can run Battlegrounds better. This fucking game has flipped my shit and is forcing my hand.

Does Battlegrounds even scale well on stronger hardware? I heard it's just kinda of a mess performance wise regardless.

Top Bottom