• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at Disney XD's Spider-Man Animated Series

RedHill

Banned
Those jokes are pretty eye roll worthy. I don't get what they're trying to go for here. There doesn't appear to be any heart in this, just "action cartoon bot 3000." It looks worse than Ultimate imo. Not a fan of the art either. Thank god for young justice coming back. Superhero animation isn't looking too hot.

Haha, I used to be a bit of a Cowboy Bebop obsessive, so I sort of have an ingrained ability to detect Steve Blum's voice wherever it can usally be found. It's quite distinctive as voice actors go.

Yep, always love hearing him in stuff.

Korra and Voltron actually have backgrounds

This. And often stunningly gorgeous ones too, to go with the great animation and artwork.
I still regularly throw on my Korra blu-rays.

MartyStu

Maybe it has to do with lowered expectations, but this looks like fun. Certainly better than pretty much all the current Marvel Cartoons.

Penguin

The voice cast and some char designs

DEvWsmhUMAAQdbn.jpg

Marvel's #SpiderMan" premieres on Saturday, August 19 at 7AM EDT

DEvVtMvVwAAeCcx.jpg

DEvVtMvUIAAVkHk.jpg

DEvVtMxU0AUsDn_.jpg

DEvVtMvVoAA-gHV.jpg

DEvV2ueUAAEpzaF.jpg

DEvV2ueUMAA_ojA.jpg

DEvV2ueUQAADlkV.jpg

DEvV2ugVwAAp9h7.jpg

Bronx-Man

Banned
The art style of every Spider-Man cartoon is doomed to get worse and worse until eventually it looks like a spin-off of 12 oz. Mouse.

sense

It is kinda crazy that Sony produced a good animated Spider-Man tv show and fans are clamoring for that and in the live action movie space, fans want marvel to take over. Maybe Sony should sign a deal and bring back spectacular Spider-Man and share the profits or something lol.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I'm so confused about Miles Morales inclusion in all these Spider-Man products. I thought his whole hook was that he's in an alternate universe where Peter Parker died and he's Spider-Man instead. If there both in the same universe there's two Spider-Men walking about?

Lies it was great, it and X-men. Anyone that says otherwise has questionably poor taste!

It had an impressive amount of continuity for a children's cartoon at the time and most of the voice work was solid but the choppy animation, bizarre order of certain events (introducing Venom so early, having the Hobgoblin appear before the Green Goblin, etc) and the self censorship that led to Spidey barely ever punching anyone make it hard to go back to. Spectacular is by far the best Spider-Man show. I only got around to watching it in 2012 but it was far better than it had any right to be.

We all know the 60's animated show was secretly the best one, tho. ;)

PSqueak

Banned
This looks better than Ultimate Spider-Man

Look, it's true that USM was a bad show, i get that people are still mad that it killed Spectacular, but come on, the animation on USM looked miles ahead of this.

I'm so confused about Miles Morales inclusion in all these Spider-Man products. I thought his whole hook was that he's in an alternate universe where Peter Parker died and he's Spider-Man instead. If there both in the same universe there's two Spider-Men walking about?

If i remember correctly, currently Miles also exists in the "regular" 616 Marvel universe.

TalonJH

For some reason, the animation itself reminds me of Venture Bro. even though it's not like it. I like a lot of the human character designs.

Mr Swine

Banned
Character and animation look good but the backgrounds look so sparse and cheap. Like it was made with the lowest budget they could have

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
It looks like this might be good, and the voice-acting might get better as we go along but damn that animation and backgrounds is just terrible. I'm fine with the character arc but it looks like it was made in flash in 1999 and runs at 3 FPS. What a shame.

Someone mentioned Korra. Have you SEEN Korra? The animation is a hundred times better than this. Why can't this be like that? It's Marvel's biggest hero!

The animation style is like a poor man's Studio Mir, the studio that animated Legend of Korra and now Voltron: Legendary Defender. They also apparently animated the shorts and season 1 of the Guardians of the Galaxy cartoon.

I assume this show is aiming for the kind of audience who like anime-influenced action shows with serialized stories. But it lacks the polish, talent, and budget of Studio Mir.

Judging by the shorts, the dialogue and tone don't seem as insufferable as Ultimate Spider-Man, so that's a plus. I guess we can just hope that the writing improves throughout the season, but I have my doubts.

I saw all six parts of the origin On-Demand. Not bad. Animation and Character designs are passable . It's just mostly the backgrounds that are bugging me.(Lacks depth? Animation experts can explain this better.) Part 5 and 6 were the best written of the mini. This show will probably fine. Probably

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man remember when Marvel Animation was actually turning things around and put out Spectacular Spider-Man and Earth's Mightiest Heroes?

Then they just decided, hey, let's just fuck this all up. It was especially hilarious as EMH was the highest rated show in DisneyXD history, something the replacements haven't come close to hitting.

Here's hoping this is a return to form, but I'm not holding my breath.

VeeP

Man remember when Marvel Animation was actually turning things around and put out Spectacular Spider-Man and Earth's Mightiest Heroes?

Then they just decided, hey, let's just fuck this all up. It was especially hilarious as EMH was the highest rated show in DisneyXD history, something the replacements haven't come close to hitting.

Here's hoping this is a return to form, but I'm not holding my breath.

Spectacular Spider-Man was Sony I believe.

Top Bottom