• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First pics of Banjo-Threeie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nolan.

Opus Angelorum said:
What? This has been in development long before LBP.

Thats what I don't get, if anything it's more likely media molecule copied seeing as they are a break away from Lionhead.

HugBasket

Banned
If anything, LBP has been leeching off of Rare's video game design. Kameo, Viva Pinata, and former Banjo games have all had this type of look despite the times and hardware.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Nolan. said:
Thats what I don't get, if anything it's more likely media molecule copied seeing as they are a break away from Lionhead.

What does Lionhead have to do with RARE? They broke off quite a long time ago as well.

Amir0x

Banned
dark10x said:
Looks amazing, but damn, I could never get into the series and have hated everything else Rare has done over the past several years. :\

Same here. But, RARE can do graphics. Not art styles, but technically always impressive.

Very nice indeed.

They ripped off LBP by having depth of field (on items that you can likely go to and interact with) and.... ??

The Blueprint trailer was from X06.

Tobor

Blablurn said:
looks wonderful. hope that its not a vehicle-only game (since they announced banjo threei will be a bit different than previous banjo kazooie games)

I'm hoping it's open world, and these vehicles have some room to run.

Yoboman

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Not to start anything, but how?

The whole fabrics and stickers, other crafts and big Gears making up the environment seems a bit of a strange coincidence, no?

batbeg

Prvt.Pegleg said:
If anything, LBP has been leeching off of Rare's video game design. Kameo, Viva Pinata, and former Banjo games have all had this type of look despite the times and hardware.

All we know for sure is someone definitely copied someone. No two platformers have ever tried using a similar art style before now.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It is kind of classic Rare art style, I don't see so much relation to LBP beyond some superficial shared elements like DOF etc. LBP is sort of "camera on a real craft-work world" whereas this is more whimsical cartoon-y.

I love the look, very curious to see gameplay. I hope it's just classic platforming with not too much collecting.

edit - well, ok, i see the 'stickers' and the flowers on springs and stuff like that aren't reminiscint of the original so much, but i think the intended result is different.

Nolan.

sp0rsk said:
What does Lionhead have to do with RARE? They broke off quite a long time ago as well.

For one Rare and Lionhead are quite close and don't internal studios tend to share info on projects etc.?

Tobor

Yoboman said:
The whole fabrics and stickers, other crafts and big Gears making up the environment seems a bit of a strange coincidence, no?

New fanboy bullet point detected.

pswii60

batbeg said:
All we know for sure is someone definitely copied someone. No two platformers have ever tried using a similar art style before now.
ORLY

super-mario-bros-dx-big.jpg

great-giana-sisters.jpg

gofreak said:
It is kind of classic Rare art style, I don't see so much relation to LBP beyond some superficial shared elements like DOF etc. LBP is sort of "camera on a real craft-work world" whereas this is more whimsical cartoon-y.

I love the look, very curious to see gameplay. I hope it's just classic platforming with not too much collecting.
Kameo used the exact same DOF effects as seen here and also shares similar style texture work.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Insert joke here about how these can't be real screenshots, what with the complete lack of notes, jiggies, Jinjos, honeycombs, cheato pages, Glowbos, eggs, feathers, tennis shoes, and Mr. Pants murals.

Seriously, though, I'm curious as to whether the basic gameplay has been changed around this time...

This one doesn't use some fuck lame motion-sensing, banjo-looking 'wand', right? It uses the standard controller, right? And it's a platformer, right? Not a collection of fucking minigames? Please?

Nolan.

aztrex said:
This one doesn't use some fuck lame motion-sensing, banjo-looking 'wand', right? It uses the standard controller, right? And it's a platformer, right? Not a collection of fucking minigames? Please?

George said no waggle or something to that affect anyway.

batbeg

pswii60 said:
ORLY

super-mario-bros-dx-big.jpg

great-giana-sisters.jpg

Kameo used the exact same DOF effects as seen here and also shares similar style texture work.

I seriously wish people could detect sarcasm, when it's so INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS.

Bright colors and cartoony elements in MY PLATFORMER? WELL I NEVER!

Figures as soon as something this cool starts hitting the masses, the crazed Sony fans here comes in droves to defend their beloved, innovative masterpiece!

Give me a break, they look nothing alike.

pswii60

batbeg said:
I seriously wish people could detect sarcasm, when it's so INCREDIBLY OBVIOUS.

Bright colors and cartoony elements in MY PLATFORMER? WELL I NEVER!
I know you were being sarcastic, it's just Giana came to mind instanly and I had to post :p

Busty

Banned
I like the second shot. The sense of scale really works for me, moving in between the giant cogs as if being in some huge machine.

But, to be honest, I really don't know what to make of the giant vehicles present in both shots. It took me a second to try and figure out just what I was looking at.

I was hoping for more of a Mario Galaxy vibe but seeing as they are, I assume, leaked shots before the embargo I'm interested all the same.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
pswii60 said:

I know, I'm just saying that I think if you give any game a cartoon-y look, and add camera effects and DOF, people would say the same thing..even if those are just some elements in the visual design.

The LBP aesthetic is directly borne out of the mechanics of the game, building stuff, and while there's some 'craftwork' elements in these shots, I don't think that's the overall intention of the design, it seems more general than that. I don't think people should be hopping all over it for that. When I look at both of them, I see different aesthetics, even if there are some occasional similarities, that's what I'm saying.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks incredible. I'm loving the little flowers on springs...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'm really confused by the LBP comparisons when there is big blue chomp chomp sitting in the first screenshot.

Nolan. said:
George said no waggle or something to that affect anyway.

Yeah ok well I don't want goddamn waggle shit on my Xbox 360. Do something different and do it well, Microsoft. You're not on the waggle train.

Wizpig

LaneDS said:
Interesting that they're in a vehicle in both shots.

Looks good though, I think. Need more info & shots!
Imho it will be a Free-roaming platformer.
Not like the N64 Banjos, i mean a HUGE world.
Hence the veichles.

AniHawk

For some reason, I'm expecting this as an Xbox game. I can't believe this franchise skipped a generation (GBA doesn't count because I say so).

Screens look nice though. Hope it has the quality level design the first one did.

Burli

Pringo
I find the sheer scale to be the most impressive thing in those shots, I really hope the levels are that huge. I loved Banjo Kazooie hard, I hope this lives up to it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Won said:
Two screens and in both Banjo is in a vehicle.

I'm scared.

At least he doesn't have dark clothing and a gun!

It took me a moment to notice that Kazooie was in the screenshots too...

sp0rsk said:
I'm really confused by the LBP comparisons when there is big blue chomp chomp sitting in the first screenshot.
LBP became a rambling adventure in three dimensions, of course.

How about those of us who are interested do some speculating while those who aren't drown themselves?

Rare like to make us collect things right? I can see a Scrapheap Challenge style, with objectives being reachable only by specific means. Therefore you, as Banjo on foot, must travel through a hub world collecting parts and taking them to each map to assemble into a vehicle or contraption that will help you achieve your aims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom