• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Pics of Tomb Raider movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope it's two hours of her freaking out about being able to do it and killing people, as she finished off her 80th commando victim

I wonder if Rhianna Pratchett will be credited as a writer in the film, or if they're going to take it in a different direction.

I really didn't like a characters, dialogue or storytelling in the game.

Too parody-looking for me. Angelina played Lara perfectly.

Angelina played the old Lara perfectly, with a touch of arrogance and self-awareness. The new Lara is a completely different character.

SoldnerKei

didn't know this was a thing, not gonna lie, the pics on the OP look like a cosplay photoshoot to me lol... a pretty good cosplay tho

I like the games a lot, but not because of the writing, so dunno how to feel about this, I'll see it for sure but I don't expect anything above an average movie at best.

tomb%20raider.jpg

pSHyR9l.gif

darscot

She looks great, and she is stunning to look at it. The whole size and build thing makes me laugh. Reminds me of my sons hockey team. My son is two years older than my daughter, she was an elite level gymnast and the team was giving him shit because she had beaten him in an arm wrestle. He simply offered to let them have a go, so she beat the entire team one after the other with no break. This was at an age that half probable 30-40% of the boys were in puberty with man builds and my daughter was a tiny skinny little girl. Sure she had muscle but it wasn't super noticeable just walking around.

This thread is insane.

Posters claiming Vikander is objectively plain looking. As if that's the sole value of her an actress and like they are some sort of greek God themselves.

I remember a roommate of mine in College was watching Smallville one night and kept talking about how Kristen Kreuk was below average and he rejected girls like her all the time. No one even was talking about her looks and he just decided to chime with that comment. We all laughed at him and took it as a reflection of his own insecurities.

Posters claiming Vikander is objectively plain looking. As if that's the sole value of her an actress and like they are some sort of greek God themselves.

The funny thing is that if this movie delivers she will become one of the most beautiful woman in the planet for some weeks.

RedAssedApe

Banned
This thread is insane.

I remember a roommate of mine in College was watching Smallville one night and kept talking about how Kristen Kreuk was below average and he rejected girls like her all the time. No one even was talking about her looks and he just decided to chime with that comment. We all laughed at him and took it as a reflection of his own insecurities.

they probably loved her in ex-machina tho. but not their lara

J2 Cool

I think it looks great, you guys are too harsh. The Angelina Tomb Raider was no classic, she just fulfilled a lot of fanboy desires in her look. This could actually be relatively good potentially

I honestly don't see this movie doing well. It looks too cheap in these shots.

I hope it does well because the actress is too good to be playing in such a cheap looking movie as this.

Pachimari

I've been waiting 13 years for this movie to happen.

This better do 1 billion on the box office or you guys will have failed miserably.

Pictures look a bit boring, but I guess that is expected. Hoping the first trailer will look a lot better. Actress is great and has the skills, so up to the production to make a good movie from it.

Love Alicia Vikander but I'm not too hot on her playing Lara. She doesn't really "fit" the roll for me.

I think it's a damn shame that Kate Beckinsale never got a chance to take a stab at playing Lara. She's more of a Lara Croft than Alicia and Angelina Jolie combined.

Shits in Hollywood would probably consider Kate too old though. I reckon a movie exploring an older, wiser Lara would have been really interesting.... and Kate Beckinsale ages like a fine wine... she's a stone cold fox.

Love Alicia Vikander but I'm not too hot on her playing Lara. She doesn't really "fit" the roll for me.

I think it's a damn shame that Kate Beckinsale never got a chance to take a stab at playing Lara. She's more of a Lara Croft than Alicia and Angelina Jolie combined.

Shits in Hollywood would probably consider Kate too old though. I reckon a movie exploring an older, wiser Lara would have been really interesting.... and Kate Beckinsale ages like a fine wine... she's a stone cold fox.

yes I would have been all for this. I like Alicia Vikander though and think she can do a good job as young Lara, hopefully the movie is decent.

Sinfamy

Why can't they ever cast a well built female?
Are they afraid a little muscle will scare off the male segment?

Why can't they ever cast a well built female?
Are they afraid a little muscle will scare off the male segment?

Picture this, you are a woman going to the gym 4/5 times a week, occasionally getting a personal trainer to guide you. You think you look great and toned, then you happen upon your post. You might look quite similar to Alicia in those photos, but now your confidence has taken a hit because of some online asshole with unrealistic expectations comments that Alicia's body and therefore your own body isn't "well built".

Picture this, you are a woman going to the gym 4/5 times a week, occasionally getting a personal trainer to guide you. You think you look great and toned, then you happen upon your post. You might look quite similar to Alicia in those photos, but now your confidence has taken a hit because of some online asshole with unrealistic expectations comments that Alicia's body and therefore your own body isn't "well built".

Eh?... I think you're mistaking the term "well built" to mean "attractive".

Saying someone is not "well built" means they "don't have a particular muscular physique". That's not the same as saying "they're fat", "they're unfit" or "unattractive". I think you're projecting here.

Eh?... I think you're mistaking the term "well built" to mean "attractive".

Saying someone is not "well built" means they "don't have a particular muscular physique". That's not the same as saying "they're fat", "they're unfit" or "unattractive". I think you're projecting here.

I know what it means, I just think the posters definition of "well built" is unrealistic and a little insensitive. I mean, to elaborate using my experience; I eat well, I'm not overweight, and I have been training with weights to build up and tone myself. Just when I am beginning to feel pretty good, a family member comes along and says I look too skinny. It kinda smashes my confidence.

Preezy

Its a good way to realize someone hates women.
You must be a fun person to hang out with.

As for the released pics, looks fine I'm sure it'll be a decent-but-forgettable film. Vikander looks like a pretty good fit, I just hope she can do a halfway decent English accent.

I know what it means, I just think the posters definition of "well built" is unrealistic and a little insensitive. I mean, to elaborate using my experience; I eat well, I'm not overweight, and I have been training with weights to build up and tone myself. Just when I am beginning to feel pretty good, a family member comes along and says I look too skinny. It kinda smashes my confidence.
Plus, Lara Croft from the reboots has the same body type anyway. If people don't like that, fine. But that is what they are basing the movie on.

hotcyder

I'm surprised how toxic this thread has been so far. I don't know what it is about Lara Croft that turns Gaf members into defenders of a shitty character design.

(original I mean. reboot lara is a lot more normalised then the first one)

Parsnip

Emily Blunt would have been my casting choice, but Vikander is a pretty good pick too.
Now lets just hope that the writing is way better than it was in the game.

I hope it doesn't suck!

Beckinsale would have been great classic Lara, not so sure about modern Lara.

You must be a fun person to hang out with.
If you consistently use female as a noun instead of an adjective then you are most likely doing it with a purpose. Its not a coincidence that you see the use of female instead of woman a lot in alt-right circles, or in the PUA scene.

Why should it?

Being skinny isn't inherently bad or unattractive. So I'm still not understanding why it's fair to claim someone is being insensitive for using the term. Sure I understand what you're saying about the work you've put in, but surely your response to a term as benign as "skinny" speaks more of your own insecurities than anything else?

In any case, the poster you were replying to didn't even use the term "skinny". There's a huge difference between saying someone is something, and someone isn't something. Saying someone isn't "well built" isn't the same as saying someone is "skinny". That's a false equivalency you've made.

There's a whole spectrum of body shapes and size in between "skinny" and "well built", so saying someone isn't the latter doesn't imply anything about what the person in question is.

That's like me being offended because someone says I'm not light-skinned. Well I'm not. I'm black and fairly dark skinned, but in saying the above, they haven't tried to claim anything about what they perceive me to be, only what they perceive me not to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom