• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Project Cars screenshots from PS4

As I look at it more I have to agree. The banding on the tires is awful, and the body texture, which is supposed to be carbon fiber, looks hideous here:

Looks like it's not really cut out for consoles, because I've used that car a few times in the PC version, and even on medium settings it's way more detailed than that.

It has some serious compression issues, especially being posted on imgur, I'll wait for some high quality png's before passing judgement. (but yes if the issues aren't because of compression, this doesn't look very impressive.)

anddo0

To me this game has always been about graphics. It's always popping up int the PC screenshot thread. The PS4 version looks like a downgrade compared to those shots. I know it's to be expected. But the game isn't jaw dropping. I hope the gameplay is good, and it has a decent career mode at least.

Looks sound, but too sterile for my liking. Not sure if it's the aliasing or how they're doing the reflections but it has that same Forza plastic-y look to it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Looks great. Comes out eons before GT7. Good stuff.

GoaThief

I tried but my order was canceled T-T I'd love to have that sweet t500rs
Aside from that isn't the only other compatible wheel thrustmaster have is the terrible t80?

It's very tacky, has no force feedback and a bungee chord to centre the wheel. :-/

I hope to god those two aren't our only options.
I'm all in. Its 60 fps which is the most important part of a racing game. Plus it looks damn good.
More important than physics/diving mechanics?

60fps or bust has hit new heights (or lows depending on perspective)

Li Kao

Hmm, sorry for the noobish question but... what's the 'drink' button in one of the screenshots do in real life racing ?
I can imagine some answers but really, I'm curious about this thing.

It's strange to think the best racing sim available on the PS4 won't be from Sony.

Well by the time PjC releases there is no Sony racing sim released on the PS4, so it's not that strange. #DC is trying to blur the lines between arcade and sim, but still it therefore can't be a true sim.

shandy706

Hmm, sorry for the noobish question but... what's the 'drink' button in one of the screenshots do in real life racing ?
I can imagine some answers but really, I'm curious about this thing.

A number of racing series have drink tubes to the drivers helmet. You may be seeing something related to that (I don't know what image you're looking at)

Well by the time PjC releases there is no Sony racing sim released on the PS4, so it's not that strange. #DC is trying to blur the lines between arcade and sim, but still it therefore can't be a true sim.

Strange in relation to the last 10 years. No one has REALLY gone up against Forza or Gran Turismo.

I've not turned to any other sim but GT on a Sony Platform in a loooong time. So it is a bit strange (to me). Nothing wrong with it.

kyser73

How do people keep expecting this for morpheus? Do you really think a PS4 can render this twice at 60fps?

Well it won't need to render the full screen twice (see VR threads passim) and supposedly you won't need all the texture detail since the immersive nature of VR means that texture detail created for 2D isn't needed or in some cases doesnt work at all.

But hey, these issues have only been discussed at length on at least a dozen other threads.

Li Kao

Thanks for the replies. Not really into real life racing and this steering wheel shot fascinated me. So many functions ^_^

Sold. Driveclub murdered in its sleep.
Driveclub is semi arcade-sim about fun with friends as a team in challenges whereas Project cars is about simulation that can be experienced very well in single player mostly. So, comparing both is not a good idea because both have different gameplay mechanics.

Branson

The game looks nice I guess. I just never liked what I played on PC. The physics always felt weird to me. I should try it again today. On any level it's going to be a good game for console owners to get if they want a good PC like sim on ps4.

SparkTR

As I look at it more I have to agree. The banding on the tires is awful, and the body texture, which is supposed to be carbon fiber, looks hideous here:

Looks like it's not really cut out for consoles, because I've used that car a few times in the PC version, and even on medium settings it's way more detailed than that.

That screen in particular doesn't look so hot, could pass for a last gen Grid game. The rest look better, but nowhere near what I've seen in the high-res screenshot thread.

Thanks for the replies. Not really into real life racing and this steering wheel shot fascinated me. So many functions ^_^
Yeah the drivers are really overloaded with things to think about in F1 racing - I find it incredible how calm and articulate most of them sound over the radio.

fresquito

Driveclub is semi arcade-sim about fun with friends as a team in challenges whereas Project cars is about simulation that can be experienced very well in single player mostly. So, comparing both is not a good idea because both have different gameplay mechanics.
Well, I play with some friends every weekend. Multiplayer races can even go up to 64 players. So, pCARS is not only about the single player experience.

Check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsvV0Xy2aaM

ButI agree, comparing both games makes little sense. I don't think DC simulates half the things pCARS does.

impact

Banned
Doesn't really look that good so it's probably 60fps.

I don't like sims anyway so #DRIVECLUB will be better for me.

Well, I play with some friends every weekend. Multiplayer races can even go up to 64 players. So, pCARS is not only about the single player experience.

Check: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsvV0Xy2aaM

ButI agree, comparing both games makes little sense. I don't think DC simulates half the things pCARS does.

Indeed, and vice versa pCARS doesn't seem to render environments with the same detail as #DC. People should just accept that they are different games trying to achieve very different things.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
what is going on, people say it looks good while others say it is not

tell me GAF, which is it??

Perspective. It doesn't look like what I've seen in the PC screenshot thread so that's probably a disappointment to some (it shouldn't be). I think it looks like Forza 5 with far less compromises made but not as good as DriveClub.

I have to agree with others. Some of those don't look too flattering.

Perspective. It doesn't look like what I've seen in the PC screenshot thread so that's probably a disappointment to some (it shouldn't be). I think it looks like Forza 5 with far less compromises made but not as good as DriveClub.
That's exactly it. You look at them so much you start to think that's the overall look of the game.

Between this and Drive Club, this is going to be a great fall for racing games on the PS4. I can't wait. My Thrustmaster T500 RS is ready and raring to go.

kyser73

Have there been any uncompressed shots yet? Bit premature to write off the visuals based on imgur images, surely?

Top Bottom