• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Guy Ritchie's The Man From U.N.C.L.E

Status
Not open for further replies.
Set during the Cold War and stoked by seductive settings and an equally attractive cast, this would-be Warner Bros. franchise starter gets everything about half-right; conceptually it's got a few things going for it and it's not unenjoyable to sit through, but, at the same time, the tone and creative register never feel confident and settled. It's not bad but not quite good enough either.
- Todd McCarthy, THR

An unusually restrained Guy Ritchie serves up solid entertainment with a classy touch, but bland leads and no-sizzle chemistry make this slick ’60s TV adaptation forgettable.
- Peter Debruge, Variety

With brisk pacing, and a cast this attractive parading the kinds of fashions that will remind you how much you miss Mad Men, most of the movie boasts a Mod crispness.
- Alonso Duralde, The Wrap

Leaves you in a place where you'll be dying to see more of these characters.
- Edward Douglas, ComingSoon

A fun movie that's striking in its style, kinetic in its energy, and has quite the wicked streak when it comes to its depiction of violence on screen.
- Matthew Pejkovi, Matt's Movie Reviews

Syriel

Hmmm. Averagely good?

I'll wait to rent it.

Film is certainly not average.

Writing is sharp, it's visually pleasing and Cavill has more swagger than he knows what to do with.

The Man From UNCLE evokes the feeling of old school Bond and it is more enjoyable than Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.

Movie is a lock for #1 this weekend.

eh, I'm seeing Thursday whether it's terrible, great or just OK. I've fine with OK if its entertaining.

OK, SPECTRE. You're next.

Eh, still not terribly interested. Trailers looked alright, but nothing that I feel I need to see. It'll be on HBO in a year

But for real, I know this is a remake and all that, so the title was kind of set, but it's so bad. The title is just terrible, I get no positive associations with it

So how would this compare to say Kingsman, for example? Similar in tone or altogether different? More comic book than UNCLE (though I remember the original series and that was pretty much comic book)? Like Kingsman I can take it or leave it I guess. Still, I'm curious.

Sounds like a decent matinee. I liked the trailers so as long as it wasn't a complete blunder I'd be down to watch it

Particularly the stylish 60s aesthetic. I think Ritchie nailed that especially. The film looks so slick

Another mediocre blockbuster after Terminator Genius, Pixels, Jurassic World, and Avengers? Thanks for saving me money :)

Kingsmen got merely decent reviews too tho tbh

I'll take Ritchie over Vaughn any day, but it's just a matter of preference

I do wonder about Cavill tho. I'll see when I watch this film but so far he's just been pretty and blank

I liked the trailers and I'm down for more Guy Ritchie.

I feel like the critical reception of UNCLE will end up with a Metacritic around the 60s, and just above Fresh at RT.

duckroll

Kingsmen got merely decent reviews too tho tbh

I'll take Ritchie over Vaughn any day, but it's just a matter of preference

I do wonder about Cavill tho. I'll see when I watch this film but so far he's just been pretty and blank

If all things are equal, maybe that's true. But because of what both directors do best...

R-rated Ritchie > PG-13 Vaughn
R-rated Vaughn > PG-13 Ritchie

In this case it's hard to see this topping Kingsman on sheer entertainment value because of that.

If all things are equal, maybe that's true. But because of what both directors do best...

R-rated Ritchie > PG-13 Vaughn
R-rated Vaughn > PG-13 Ritchie

In this case it's hard to see this topping Kingsman on sheer entertainment value because of that.
I'll take Ritchie's Sherlock films over Vaughn's catalogue any day.

bryanee

Sounds good from three of the quotes and average with the other two. I wont have a chance to get to the cinema to see it but I'm looking forward to seeing it when its out on Bluray.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Who the hell wants a restrained Guy Ritchie? I need Snatch Ritchie.

He peaked with Snatch. Rock N Rolla was as close as he was capable of getting to making something like Snatch, and it failed because he cast Gerard Butler instead of someone who had a personality.

I don't have Sherlock 3 yet because of this damn movie, it better be good!

YMMV, but I'll take a session on the rack over watching
those Sherlock films, lol.

Duckroll whyyyyy
The action in the Sherlock movies alone is fucking madness. Guy Ritchie is crazy

It's sad that this is going to drop. :(

oVOa1Kp.png

He peaked with Snatch. Rock N Rolla was as close as he was capable of getting to making something like Snatch, and it failed because he cast Gerard Butler instead of someone who had a personality.

gerard butler was quite fun in that movie though. (one of the only movies he's fun in tbh)

this leads to a big problem in hollywood that i've been noticing. when you see an interview with gerard butler or more recently jai courtney they are charming, likeable and very funny guys. Yet sadly they are cast in the bland tough guy roles (because of their appearance) and fall to the wayside.

Casting directors need to recognize that if you let these guys act with their actual accents (and more importantly suited to their personality) you might get some great stuff out of them.

That variety review. Ouch.

Didn't someone who saw an advance screening saw the two leads had great chemistry? Hoped that the one guy would be Batman instead of Affleck?

The reviews so far aren't that much different from other hit block busters this season. Surprised to see so many people write it off so soon.

I want to go see it but not so bad that I'll drive to another town. My one screen theater is still showing Mission Impossible followed by Pixels :|.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom