• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Guy Ritchie's The Man From U.N.C.L.E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Busty

Banned
I'm really looking forward to this film but it feels like it occupies a strange limbo in terms of the studio's ambitions for it.

Warners have been running TV ads here in the UK for weeks so it's not as if the studio are hoping to quietly bury the film in the glut of summer releases and with a rumoured budget of well under $100m (even after reshoots) it's certainly economical by summer film standards.

But at the same time WB are obviously hoping to launch a potential 'UNCLE' franchise despite the fact the co-writer/director in Ritchie as already moved onto future Knights Of The Round Table (providing it hits) franchise and another Sherlock Holmes film.

And all this given that Cavill will no doubt be doubling down on Superman in the next few years between Justice League films and Man Of Steel sequels where, when and who do Warners find the time for a potential sequel?

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
ugh, the disappointing reviews have deflated my hype. May not go see this after all. Was hoping U.N.C.L.E. could round out my top 3 action pics of the year (Kingsman and Mad Max already have the two other spots).

Not sure why people are so down on Henry Cavill though, he's great. He's by far the best Superman we've had on screen, loved Man of Steel.

I saw this last night at a early screening and found it to be quite dull. It has great style and it's not terrible movie, just a boring one.

If didn't know Guy Ritchie directed this movie I would have never had guessed it was him.

I'm really looking forward to this film but it feels like it occupies a strange limbo in terms of the studio's ambitions for it.

They were basically killing time/this is Guy Ritchie's Inception/franchise break movie.

Now back to Sherlock 3, goddamn it. Any news on that front?

Betty

Banned
Not sure why people are so down on Henry Cavill though, he's great. He's by far the best Superman we've had on screen, loved Man of Steel.

3614494-8958807085-super.gif

I saw this last night at a early screening and found it to be quite dull. It has great style and it's not terrible movie, just a boring one.

If didn't know Guy Ritchie directed this movie I would have never had guessed it was him.

great style, quite dull...sounds pretty Guy Ritchie to me!

Experien

It wasn't half bad. The typical Guy Ritchie twist/sum-up at the end was a huge letdown but I enjoyed watching it.

Montage scene felt disorienting.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Was at the premiere last night (Hugh Grant refused to take a selfie with me lol).

I really liked it. The action is a bit meh but I found the style and humor more than make up for it. It's a popcorn flick, although I found the some of the scenes to be far funnier than most stuff I've seen this year.

It's just pure fun.

ugh, the disappointing reviews have deflated my hype. May not go see this after all. Was hoping U.N.C.L.E. could round out my top 3 action pics of the year (Kingsman and Mad Max already have the two other spots).

I don't understand, Kingsman has lower reviews at this point. Just go out and see it if you want to.

Sanjuro

I thought it was a lot of fun. The most surprising element was the charisma of the main three characters. So often in these types of films I get nothing from the performance. Based on the casting of the two leads I expected it to be stale as well. They were great.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I thought it was a lot of fun. The most surprising element was the charisma of the main three characters. So often in these types of films I get nothing from the performance. Based on the casting of the two leads I expected it to be stale as well. They were great.

Agreed, they had great chemistry and played well of each other.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
It was better than either of the Sherlock films he has done. No great feat, but notable.

I found Sherlock Holmes 2 rather excellent to be honest. More faithful to the source than you might believe, excellent villain, great action and some really good chemistry between the various characters

1 was ass, agreed

Sanjuro

I found Sherlock Holmes 2 rather excellent to be honest. More faithful to the source than you might believe, excellent villain, great action and some really good chemistry between the various characters

1 was ass, agreed

They were both acceptable. They both felt like underwhelming RDJ unhinged films. Likable, but not great.

This film falls in that same category. Features the same direction, with some really cool editing during some of the boring action pieces. I'm not saying it's massively better than those films either. It just worked surprisingly well compared to what I anticipated.

Busty

Banned
They were basically killing time/this is Guy Ritchie's Inception/franchise break movie.

Now back to Sherlock 3, goddamn it. Any news on that front?

The studio really want another one but between RDJ's recent commitment to Marvel snd Drew Pearce's (allegedly) poor script for a third film it just hasn't happened yet.

And with Ritchie moving onto Knight Of The Round Table (and rumours of friction between Downey and him on the set of the second film) it's likely that the studio will get someone else to helm the third film once RDJ's Marvel commitments ease up.

I'd say it's a case of when rather than 'if' when it comes to Sherlock Holmes 3.

The studio really want another one but between RDJ's recent commitment to Marvel snd Drew Pearce's (allegedly) poor script for a third film it just hasn't happened yet.

And with Ritchie moving onto Knight Of The Round Table (and rumours of friction between Downey and him on the set of the second film) it's likely that the studio will get someone else to helm the third film once RDJ's Marvel commitments ease up.

I'd say it's a case of when rather than 'if' when it comes to Sherlock Holmes 3.

God is goo-no Guy Ritchie?

....hmmmm...

Fuck it I want more Sherlock, letsdothis

Sounds pretty Guy Ritchie to me! XD

Syriel

YMMV, but I'll take a session on the rack over watching those Sherlock films, lol.

No worries. UNCLE is better than Sherlock. ;)

That variety review. Ouch.

Didn't someone who saw an advance screening saw the two leads had great chemistry? Hoped that the one guy would be Batman instead of Affleck?

All three of the leads worked off each other quite well. Watching the interaction was half the fun.

Movie is better than the trailers let on.

Blader

I don't have Sherlock 3 yet because of this damn movie, it better be good!

More like because Downey is in a Marvel movie almost every year and is trying to put out his own films at the same time. Otherwise there would've probably been a Sherlock 3 a year or two ago.

Toothless

Been looking forward to seeing it this weekend for a while. Glad to see the reviews are generally positive; the reviewer I usually follow gave it a 9/10, so I'm getting excited.

Syriel

While I didn't care for the Sherlock movies, are the action sequences in UNCLE better than them?

Fist fight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGCMfprPJoA&t=1m35s

Forest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CztxQIn5ZhQ

UNCLE doesn't rely as heavily on slow-mo and repetition as Sherlock (though there are still some elements as key moments are shown from two different perspectives) and overall I would say that yes, the action is better.

UNCLE felt like a Guy Ritchie take on James Bond, which isn't completely surprising considering Fleming himself contributed some early ideas to the show before it launched.

Magwik

Banned
Saw it last night, I loved it. The plot is fairly basic, but it all worked really well together. Didn't feel too long or short either. Also the soundtrack is noticeably good.

tcrunch

Saw this today.

First of all: five people at an IMAX showing.

FIVE PEOPLE AT AN IMAX SHOWING.

FIVE.

k.

So, if you go to movies for their own sake you will probably enjoy it. I thought it was similar to Kingsmen, sort of uneven but overall entertaining. I think the 67/70% on RT is a fair rating not just of how many positive reviews it got but of the film itself. Of my viewing party: I thought it was slightly better than Kingsmen, 1 friend thought Kingsmen was better, and the last never saw Kingsmen. There is far less graphic violence in this one than Kingsmen.

I thought it overused old-songs-over-action-scenes, 1 friend liked that, the last one was ambivalent. Both of my friends disliked the Erudite-ness of all the characters in the film (save the Russian), and they disliked the spontaneity of some scenes compared to what was going on plot-wise. I thought the scenes they criticized in particular were funny. The only thing I didn't care for is Henry Cavill's character never seems to express anything besides "smug". The villain is yet another evil ruthless rich lady, but I thought she had a little more charisma than most of the characters in that mold.

I thought the ending tease "we've got a new mission in Istanbul blahblahblah" was a little too conventional, but then again the entire plot is very simple and most of the fun comes from the visual antics. Guy Ritchie's direction at times reminds me of Wes Anderson, but doesn't really reach the uniqueness of Anderson's work. The characters aren't interesting and there's no special touches, but there's some overlap in the visuals or approach...it's a little hard to place.

edit: I should mention there's some weird comic book style transition choices in some scenes, like in The Hulk. They were sort of effective.

I guess I would put it at 6/10. I thought it was okay.

I liked it, I knew it was Guy Ritchie going in, kind of knew what to expect. Stylish and slick, did move a bit slow at times, but I enjoyed it overall. Solid movie, liked the chemistry between the cast.

The cars were pretty cool.

Linsies

My husband and I are going to see it tomorrow. We are pretttyyy, pretttty good at knowing which movies are worth watching. Will report back.

Edit: Apparently can be Uncle Sam or:

U.N.C.L.E. is an acronym for the fictional United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, a secret international intelligence agency featured in the TV series The Man from U.N.C.L.E. and The Girl from U.N.C.L.E.. Both were 1960s TV series produced in the United States.

Yeah this was very uneven. Like Hammer, but thought Cavill played the one-dimensional veneer of suave. He's George Clooney with no light behind his eyes.

The entire film was Ritchie being cute without ever making the plot interesting.

Replicant

I thought this was fun. Hammer made his character likeable somehow despite his volatile temperament.

It's like a mini Bond or Mission Impossible film. Except without annoying Tom Cruise to defile my screen.

Kingsman was much more exciting and fun though as far as Bond-lite goes.

tcrunch

whats uncle supposed to stand for? his uncle send him on this mission?

There's an uncle that features prominently in the movie and then the team is officially named U.N.C.L.E. which is like United National Coalition for Law Enforcement or some crap.

KJRS_1993

I went to watch it yesterday.
The plot is definitely nothing you've never seen before, but I think the reviews are a bit too harsh against it for that reason, as it does feel like that's kind of the point.

It's a good film, and a lot of fun to watch.
An easy 4 out of 5 stars if anyone is interested in my tuppence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom