• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

Cartman86

Banned
Could they do multiple new controller support, but disable the streaming the full game to the controller as an alternative to the TV? Like during a Madden game everyone will get a 2D menu interface to pick plays on their own screens? Is it a limitation of the hardware rendering the multiple screens on the console or is it limit of the streaming bandwith?

linkboy said:
Honestly, I think the name pretty much gave away the fact that there would be one controller per console.

Think about it. When Reggie was talking about U, he made it seem like it was geared towards single players.

Multi-player will be Wii

Single player will be U
Yes but they are talking about parents using the tv for watching tv/movies and the kid(s) using Wii U as a screen for the game in the console.
And if you have more than 1 kid that would make that impossible?
That is stupid and contradictory to what nintendo is saying them selfs.

zomgbbqftw said:
Yeah, my source on the Blu-ray said Wii-U is comparable to 360/PS3 in terms of raw power. Again, unofficial, but the original power target was much higher, but Nintendo cut stuff to fit a smaller thermal envelope and keep costs down.

So your source doesn't know what they're talking about then. Between idensity and this pretty much confirms it. We already have confirmation on it using a power7 based CPU which is much much more powerful than whats in the 360.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
bishopcruz said:
Really, tell me what is so embarrassing. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but considering what was just posted that is less and less likely.

The more I think on it the more likely it seems that, like the Kinect, the tech just doesn't match our imaginations. Is there a latency free wireless technology out there that can stream four separate video feeds to four devices? Remember it also needs the bandwidth for the inputs from the devices as well. And it needs to be cheap.

This pretty much clinches it. They specify a second screen. Not multiple screens. It is 1 tablet per console.
That pretty much clinches nothing. How else would you have worded that sentence without mentioning second within the same context? The tech is fine. Single touch screens in the way were talking about here are cheap, and there's more than one frequency for EVERY radio type. The input bandwidth is easy, the tricky part is the output bandwidth, but being able to support 2-4 controllers isn't the issue, it's the console splitting up the data, which frankly has nothing to do with the controllers.

You're all getting ridiculously out of hand, filling your heads with your own confirmation bias. You see things, trends, patterns that have no basis in objective reality, just innuendo, hype, and panic. Chill, shit'll turn out fine.

Soroc

Wouldn't worry about optical audio out. It has a A/V multiconnector. Just like the 360 when it didn't have optical out, the a/v multiconnector will probably have an optical out put on the connector itself or there will be an accessory for it.

No upscaling Wii games is a huge turn off for me. It's one of the things I was really looking forward to. Guess I'm just going to dolphin emulate.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Cartman86 said:
Could they do multiple new controller support, but disable the streaming the full game to the controller as an alternative to the TV? Like during a Madden game everyone will get a 2D menu interface to pick plays on their own screens? Is it a limitation of the hardware rendering the multiple screens on the console or is it limit of the streaming bandwith?

I'm hoping this is an option.
What's the point of letting 1 player hide his play choice, but making the others display it?

Unless they were somehow planning for it all along, upscaling Wii games to play at HD resolutions natively was never a realistic expectation. The reality is it's just not as easy as it sounds like it would be. Sony and MS didn't do it, so I don't know why we would expect Nintendo to. It would be a nightmare for BC.

linkboy said:
Honestly, I think the name pretty much gave away the fact that there would be one controller per console.

Think about it. When Reggie was talking about U, he made it seem like it was geared towards single players.

Multi-player will be Wii

Single player will be U

This . . . actually makes more sense than anything else I've heard today

jeanRicK

Monas said:
what the same feed? what good would that be?

No man ... like different feeds per controller. For eg. Each players inventory; their own screen in a racing game; stuff like that

linkboy said:

Multi-player will be Wii

Single player will be U

Hmmm .... tht makes a lot of sense given the name. I hope not though as it would limit the potential having the screen on the controller brings.

Zeliard

shadyspace said:
Reggie just confirmed on G4 that Wii games will be completely unchanged on the Wii U.

Of course they won't. How would Nintendo then release "Mario Galaxy HD" and charge people for it?

JGS

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
This . . . actually makes more sense than anything else I've heard today
They explained what the U was for.

U has to do with giving a gamer what they want rather than introducing gaming to only novices and they flagrantly bragged about multiplayer with this system.

They could have been discussing strictly online I suppose but if they are courting hardcore they should know they want all the options. It seems like a silly move.

Allow multiple screens to degrade the resolution as a workaround before barring all but one controller.

DrMungo

linkboy said:

Multi-player will be Wii

Single player will be U

To further expound on this:

The two "i"s in "Wii" visually are symbols for the Wii-motes.
The "U" is a symbol for the new controller

Red UFO

The PS3/Vita stuff isn't comparable to this because it isn't the focus of the entire console. It's a similar situation to the PlayStation Move.

Cartman86

Banned
Red UFO said:
The PS3/Vita stuff isn't comparable to this because it isn't the focus of the entire console. It's a similar situation to the PlayStation Move.

I also question how you could link up Vita and PS3 in a way that would not result in the kind of lag you see with remote play.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member
Cartman86 said:
I also question how you could link up Vita and PS3 in a way that would not result in the kind of lag you see with remote play.

How much lag is there in remote play? I don't use the feature much, so I've never really notice it to be too bad. I've only played Pixeljunk Monsters and some PS Mini games w/ it. And I think Castlevania: SOTN.

Somnid

Cartman86 said:

USB? Still it'd be a step backwards.

i haven't really seen anyone discussing this, so i'm going to throw my two cents in... this machine is clearly in response to apple and their success in the mobile gaming market. i fully expect the wii u to have an online store with plenty of iphone-style games available for purchase to be played on the controller itself utilizing the touch screen.

nintendo is essentially trying to maintain their home console presence and success while simultaneously combating the popularity of ios devices as gaming machines--with a single device. it's a bold move and i'm not willing to make a prediction about their success, but i do admire whoever came up with this strategy.

lastly, i think this strategy explains why they are ok with only one tablet controller per console. they're main interest is in getting that (one) tablet into your home and providing you a means to buy iphone-style games from them instead of from apple. of course, you also get the more traditional console experience from the device at the same time. the kids can play call of duty on it and mom will play the next angry birds on it (they hope).

sangreal

WiiU probably uses a wireless display protocol like WirelessHD which is much faster than what remote play does over wifi

onQ123

Cartman86 said:

PSP was a handheld released 2 years before the PS3 & might not have been built from the ground up with remote play in mind , PS Vita is a handheld releasing 5 years after the PS3 knowing what's needed to make remote play work as they are developing it.

& with the power that the Vita has they shouldn't need to stream the video like with the PSP they can just send the data between the Vita & PS3.

Soroc

onQ123 said:
PSP was a handheld released 2 years before the PS3 & might not have been built from the ground up with remote play in mind , PS Vita is a handheld releasing 5 years after the PS3 knowing what's needed to make remote play work as they are developing it.

& with the power that the Vita has they shouldn't need to stream the video like with the PSP they can just send the data between the Vita & PS3.

I don't think this is Sony's intent though. The vibe I got from the conference is they want to sell you 2 SKUs of a game so that you can play it anywhere. Remote Play would kinda infringe on this concept a bit.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Soroc said:
I don't think this is Sony's intent though. The vibe I got from the conference is they want to sell you 2 SKUs of a game so that you can play it anywhere. Remote Play would kinda infringe on this concept a bit.

It's a mater if they can sell them, I don't think it will work so it will instead later be used as a value added feature, with linked PSN accounts of course.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
onQ123 said:

Still going to have a lag issue.

Zeliard said:
Of course they won't. How would Nintendo then release "Mario Galaxy HD" and charge people for it?

for fuck's sake. Nintendo is not capcom. They have so far done this with classic games that deserved them, like super mario advance, and mario 64 ds. The only real evidence supporting this is the 4-6 releases of OoT, but many of those weren't meant to be purchased standalone.

HaRyu said:
How much lag is there in remote play? I don't use the feature much, so I've never really notice it to be too bad. I've only played Pixeljunk Monsters and some PS Mini games w/ it. And I think Castlevania: SOTN.

It's quite noticable. I wouldn't play a game like that (except for maybe PJ Monsters).

onQ123

Soroc said:

well remote play isn't really a big deal when the games on the handheld look just as good as the PS3 games would look downscaled to it's screen anyway, but I'm thinking more of games being made for PS3 that work with the Vita for things like looking around the game world & using the touch controls with the main game still on your TV.

also like I was saying before the Vita & PS3 might work together instead of the PS3 sending a downscaled video over wireless b like with the PSP they could be doing the processing on the PS3 & rendering it on the Vita

Plinko said:
Still going to have a lag issue.

& how would you know this?

sangreal

onQ123 said:
how would you know this?

whdi.org actually shows a picture of the PS3 for "Zero delay connectivity for gaming"

WHDI is a wireless display specification like WirelessHD

I think a 5ghz radio would be required though, and I don't think any ps3 supports that?

i guess it makes sense that they would ditch GC support for two reasons:

1) Takes up hardware space to have GC controller and memory card ports.
2) The GC games are based around a controller that nintendo were sued over (because they had press-and-click shoulder buttons)

vall03

I see, got a couple more

- can we suspend the game while playing on the new controller? something like a simple sleep mode?

- can we boot the console straight from the controller without the need to turn on the tv first?

Zaptruder

Banned
Wait wait... I just posted my idea for the PSVita been used to mimic Wii U functionality in the PSVita thread... but is that what Sony are actually doing with the PSVita and PS3? Or is it just speculation from posters here?

I mentioned in the other post that they missed out on a golden opportunity because of the lack of L2/R2 buttons.

At the very worst though, L2 and R2 could be poorly replicated by the touch panel on the back; swiping the left and right side would replicate left and right trigger pulls.

onQ123

sangreal said:
whdi.org actually shows a picture of the PS3 for "Zero delay connectivity for gaming"

I think a 5ghz radio would be required though, and I don't think any ps3 supports that?

that's when it's sending a HD video, I said maybe they can do most of the processing on the PS3 & do the rendering on the Vita by streaming the graphics commands instead of streaming the video.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
vall03 said:
I see, got a couple more

- can we suspend the game while playing on the new controller? something like a simple sleep mode?

- can we boot the console straight from the controller without the need to turn on the tv first?
You could just press the home button?

sangreal said:

Anyone into projectors knows we've been hoping for good wireless HDMI tech for quite some time. Every year it was promised at tech shows, and every year it turned into vaporware.

We're JUST starting to see WiDi, WHDI, and other techs for this show up in the marketplace.

It takes a lot of bandwidth to stream even 480p digitally. It makes sense they can't quite pull off more than one tablet controller.

I'd hope for 2 - but maybe they can't do it with the technology of today.

onQ123

GreenMonkey said:
Anyone into projectors knows we've been hoping for good wireless HDMI tech for quite some time. Every year it was promised at tech shows, and every year it turned into vaporware.

We're JUST starting to see WiDi, WHDI, and other techs for this show up in the marketplace.

It takes a lot of bandwidth to stream even 480p digitally. It makes sense they can't quite pull off more than one tablet controller.

I'd hope for 2 - but maybe they can't do it with the technology of today.

they could if the controllers have onboard GPUs that's just good enough for rendering the graphics commands streamed from the Wii U at the lower res of the controller screen,

So what is this "multi-touch" feature everyone seems to be pissed about the WiiU not having? I've never owned any kind of touch screen anything, so I have no idea what muti-touch means.

Al-ibn Kermit

Cartman86 said:
If it was just an issue of processing power, they could do what you said and make the tablet screen just a simple map/scoreboard or something. If it was a bandwidth issue, USB cables are cheap.

I'm hoping the rumor about only supporting one tablet isn't true.

Orayn

ArachosiA 78 said:
So what is this "multi-touch" feature everyone seems to be pissed about the WiiU not having? I've never owned any kind of touch screen anything, so I have no idea what muti-touch means.
Multi-touch means the screen can interpret being touched at more than one point. It's become very popular with smooth, capacitive displays that track the conductivity of your fingertips. Resistive touch screens, on the other hand, are a lot simple and just use physical contact between two layers of thin film to tell where the display is being touched. Since it's just based on pressing the screen, they usually work with either a stylus or your fingers.

Top Bottom