• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

Totobeni said:
Power 7 with that screen/tablet controller..

$399 if we are lucky.

They're still targeting the casual consumer, so i'd say $300 would be the peak price. You can't go to $400 and attract those users.

Tron 2.0

SolidSnakex said:
They're still targeting the casual consumer, so i'd say $300 would be the peak price. You can't go to $400 and attract those users.
I think if they were smart they would limit themselves to $299.

But that's only $50 more than a 3DS...

Vinci

Danish
chubigans said:
There is no way the Wii U can stream to four separate devices at the same time without some major, major sacrifices to the graphics/engine/etc.

I'd say it's a very safe bet that it's one tablet per console.

Also, didn't Jackson in the Developer Interivews mention an 'asymmetric' aspect to the controller? He might be referring to having only one per console and how that distinguishes one player from the others.

DAMN IT, JACKSON - WHERE ARE YOU?
We need answers!

Bert

H_Prestige said:
Let's not make excuses. They can and should support both. Especially when the two systems are 99% identical under the hood.

I wonder if it's the drive as much as anything. They made a big deal about the "custom drive that can play tiny GC discs and Wii discs" with the Wii, maybe they thought it wasn't worth the R&D costs to develop a Blu-Ray (or whatever) compatible drive that did the same.

Also, you know, the space that 4 GC ports and memory card slots takes up when trying to fit an HD console inside.

saunderez

No multi-touch?

What a joke. The touchscreen is going to end up being nothing more than a glorified inventory or map for most games if it can't support multi-touch. Not having multi-touch significantly reduces the gameplay possibilities.

Come on Nintendo, why do you think all the phones and tablets support it?

JGS

Banned
Regarding the Wii U one controller only.

I'm personally thinking that it's going to be expensive first off.

So they may very well be de-emphasizing the controller to make sure that us cheapskate Wii'ers can keep our stuff. I will admit that it's odd for the marketing to address one controller, but I would find it a hundred times odder that it only supports one since that would limit the potential substantial...unless the focus is again on online multiplayer where it won't matter.

Vinci

Danish
saunderez said:
No multi-touch?

What a joke. The touchscreen is going to end up being nothing more than a glorified inventory or map for most games if it can't support multi-touch. Not having multi-touch significantly reduces the gameplay possibilities.

Come on Nintendo, why do you think all the phones and tablets support it?

The thing has other control inputs. You'll be okay without multi-touch.

saunderez

Vinci said:
The thing has other control inputs. You'll be okay without multi-touch.
I know it has other inputs, but having a touch screen and not have it multi-touch is ridiculous when every other touch screen device on the market supports it.

They've radically limited the possibilities of the touch screen. How anyone can paint that as a good thing I have no idea.

methodman

Banned
Gaborn said:
I'm not sure what "combinations" can mean other than, for example, 2 new controllers, 3 Wiimotes, 3 new controllers, 2 wii motes, etc.

I hope you're right man. It reads like they are saying one controller and 4 wii motes. Ugh.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
What seems odd is how EA was pimping the ability to call plays on the screen controller. If the system only recognizes one of the big screen controllers what the hell good is it for local multiplayer Madden? Seems only fair that both players should be able to pick their plays with a screen controller.

The M.O.B

I am more disappointed about the range of the U rather than the only 1 controller. My consoles are all in the living room but I usually play my handhelds in bed which is a good 2 rooms from my consoles.

:(

ZZMitch

saunderez said:
I know it has other inputs, but having a touch screen and not have it multi-touch is ridiculous when every other touch screen device on the market supports it.

They've radically limited the possibilities of the touch screen. How anyone can paint that as a good thing I have no idea.

Keeps the price down.

Vinci

Danish
saunderez said:

Never painted it as a good thing. I painted it as a negligible thing.

The M.O.B said:
I am more disappointed about the range of the U rather than the only 1 controller. My consoles are all in the living room but I usually play my handhelds in bed which is a good 2 rooms from my consoles.

Get one for your bedroom. Don't even need a TV. ;)

reposting for the new page:

I haven't got this officially yet, but iDensity is Blu-ray in all but name. Nintendo didn't want to pay extra licence fees on top of the already hefty patent licensing costs for blue-laser tech so they went and got a variant of Blu-ray that can be made in a regular BD-ROM press and uses the same blue-violet laser diode. This has the added bonus of keeping disc pressing costs down, the ability to source drives from a host of Taiwanese manufacturers, and general maturity of Blu-ray as a high density format makes it relatively cheap ($30 for a read only drive with silencing).

My source put it into context, he said it was like GD-ROM to CD-ROM, so this will not insulate Nintendo from disc based piracy if their console gets hacked for it. If any decent homebrew turns up, it should play Blu-ray movies as well.

Tron 2.0 said:

The 3DS should be $200 by the time that this is released, so that would be a $100 price gap. Reggie's comments on Game Trailers are the only thing that make me question a $300 price. Geoff was asking him if it would be priced like the PS3 and 360 and Reggie started talking about the "value" that you'd be getting. He did say that it would be competitive though.

Matt

zomgbbqftw said:

I haven't got this officially yet, but iDensity is Blu-ray in all but name. Nintendo didn't want to pay extra licence fees on top of the already hefty patent licensing costs for blue-laser tech so they went and got a variant of Blu-ray that can be made in a regular BD-ROM press and uses the same blue-violet laser diode. This has the added bonus of keeping disc pressing costs down, the ability to source drives from a host of Taiwanese manufacturers, and general maturity of Blu-ray as a high density format makes it relatively cheap ($30 for a read only drive with silencing).

My source put it into context, he said it was like GD-ROM to CD-ROM, so this will not insulate Nintendo from disc based piracy if their console gets hacked for it. If any decent homebrew turns up, it should play Blu-ray movies as well.
...iDensity?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
zomgbbqftw said:

Sweet... Generic off-brand blu-ray.

zomgbbqftw said:

This is so ridiculous.

adg1034

Matt said:
...iDensity?

Kotaku misheard a Nintendo rep talking about their new "high-density optical discs", and wrote down "iDensity optical discs" in their news post on Wii U specs. iDensity isn't an actual thing.

Matt

adg1034 said:
Kotaku misheard a Nintendo rep talking about their new "high-density optical discs", and wrote down "iDensity optical discs" in their news post on Wii U specs. iDensity isn't an actual thing.
That's exactly what I was getting at.

Does the controller have its own I/R pointing camera? I couldn't see it mentioned but you can see a little black rectangle on the top end in some of the multiplayer demos.
xalfO.jpg

Come to think of it, it would need that to calibrate its relative position to the TV for A/R stuff.

adg1034 said:

:lol, I did wonder.

AceBandage said:
What is?
This is exactly what they did with GC and Wii.
No, just the Wii. And it was pretty dumb there too.

Care to explain why?
You lose nothing by having BD playback on the Wii U. It costs you nothing extra as you're already paying for the drive when you buy the system.

And Nintendo can't use the "it's a games machine, who cares about movies" excuse. They offer Netflix now for movie fans.

Tron 2.0

H_Prestige said:

No reason to defend every decision the company makes. You lose nothing by having BD playback on the Wii U. It costs you nothing extra as you're already paying for the drive when you buy the system.
I don't think that's true.

SolidSnakex said:
3DS is $250. All things considered, $350 or $400 seems about right for current hubris filled Nintendo

JGS

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:

It'll be a hundred dollars less by the time Wii U comes out. I'll be shocked if 3DS is not priced dropped by end of year.

As an aside, I like that one of the control schemes had a stylus.
The M.O.B said:

Not a handheld. It is an extension of the console that blesses you with the ability to play games while the Missus is watch Bachelorette.

It's all about perspective.

Matt

H_Prestige said:

No reason to defend every decision the company makes. You lose nothing by having BD playback on the Wii U. It costs you nothing extra as you're already paying for the drive when you buy the system.
You need to pay the Blu-ray alliance a fee in order for it to decode BR movies, along with other fees to other organizations for the technologys Blu-ray movies use.

Can someone explain something to me, I'm not as well versed in this kinda tech.

So the Wii U console will be plugged into the TV, and the signals and displays will be wirelessly transferred to the controller? So does that mean both the console and the handheld controller contain the same processor and tech inside?

Thanks to whoever answers...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
H_Prestige said:
You lose nothing by having BD playback on the Wii U. It costs you nothing extra as you're already paying for the drive when you buy the system.

Nintendo would have to give a small percentage of each Wii U sale to Sony. Think about it.

AvidNobody said:
So the Wii U console will be plugged into the TV, and the signals and displays will be wirelessly transferred to the controller? So does that mean both the console and the handheld controller contain the same processor and tech inside?

The controller probably is not actually doing any computation... it's just a videostream from the console.

Matt said:
You need to pay the Blu-ray alliance a fee in order for it to decode BR movies, along with other fees to other organizations for the technologys Blu-ray movies use.
Nintendo has to pay that. It's just silly penny pinching.

Tron 2.0

JGS said:
It'll be a hundred dollars less by the time Wii U comes out. I'll be shocked if 3DS is not priced dropped by end of year.
Drop $100 bucks in a year? That would be shocking.

But anyway, my point was more that the 3DS has to be considerably cheaper to manufacture than the Wii U will be and that was priced at $250.

AvidNobody said:

The controller has no processing inside it as far as rendering games is concerned. Nintendo is streaming the signal from the console wirelessly and apparently without noticeable latency to the controller.

The controller is mostly just the screen display, Wii Remote+ tech, dual-analog, battery and etc.

Bert

The M.O.B said:

I wonder if 3rd parties can create some kind of extender module.

Vinci

Danish
AvidNobody said:

There is no way the controller has anything similar to the same level of tech inside as the console. That would cost a damned fortune. It's just receiving information from the console, which is doing all the work.

H_Prestige said:
Nintendo has to pay that. It's just silly penny pinching.

No they don't. That's the whole point, they get the benefits of a mature format, but they don't pay BDA licence fees or MPEG-LA licence fees for Blu-ray playback. True they lose the ability to play Blu-ray movies, but Nintendo have never made the 'all-in-one box' play like MS or Sony.

JGS

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
Drop $100 bucks in a year? That would be shocking.

But anyway, my point was more that the 3DS has to be considerably cheaper to manufacture than the Wii U will be and that was priced at $250.
I thought nearly all the iterations of DS dropped within a year or so. Dependng on demand upticks, they may keep it that way through the end of the year, but it will be dropped before Vita and Wii U imo.

I'm thinking Nintendo is going for less margin on the console because the margins are so big on the portables.

ciccione said:
Please, confirm or not: is it official only one tablet per wi u? If true the multy local is dead. Major disappointment

Nintendo isn't going to come out right away and say what its system CAN'T do. It's basic misdirection, no one trying to sell something is going to focus on its negatives. They will have to be asked, and probably asked a lot before it is confirmed.

But consider again that it has been spelled out by them anyway. No images AT ALL of multiple people using the tablet. No mention AT ALL by employees of Nintendo of multiple people using the tablet. But I'll summarize the information seen in this and other threads.

In the press information from nintendo:

New Controller:The new controller incorporates a 6.2-inch, 16:9 touch screen and traditional button
controls, including two analog Circle Pads. This combination removes the traditional
barriers between games, players and the TV by creating a second window into the
video game world. The rechargeable controller includes a Power button, Home
button, +Control Pad, A/B/X/Y buttons, L/R buttons and ZL/ZR buttons. It includes a
built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, rumble feature, camera, a microphone, stereo
speakers, a sensor strip and a stylus.

notice how there is no mention of multiple connections.

Not so bad in and of itself if it were not immediately followed by:

Other Controls: Up to four Wii Remote™ (or Wii Remote Plus) controllers can be connected at once.
The new console supports all Wii™ controllers and input devices, including the
Nunchuk™ controller, Classic Controller™, Classic Controller Pro™ and Wii Balance
Board™.[/b]

Note that it mentions four Wii motes but only one new controller.

Next we have the images: (again straight from Nintendo.)
5.jpg

6.jpg

in both images of multiplayer, only 1 tablet is shown. Again Nintendo is telling us the details via omission.

then finally we have the quote from Iwata Asks:

Iwata:

So, in a way, the people who are playing are standing on different fields. Not everyone has the same perspective, and the situation becomes more interesting because of that one single player who is looking at the game from a different point of view.

add that to the fact that the only hint that we have gotten that there could be 2 tablets is from someone outside Nintendo, and the case becomes pretty damned clear. Every bit of evidence points to there only being 1 tablet per WiiU.

Now this COULD change in the future, though I find it unlikely. Chances are if it does it will be VERY limited: IE static screens or 2-d play calling, things like that. But even that is unlikely at this point.

ElFly

Nintendo is much better off skipping bluray and just making sure that netflix is available on it at launch.

a176 said:
ibm processor, radeon graphics, flash memory

sounds like ...

microsoft-xbox-360-slim-4gb.jpg

Yeah, my source on the Blu-ray said Wii-U is comparable to 360/PS3 in terms of raw power. Again, unofficial, but the original power target was much higher, but Nintendo cut stuff to fit a smaller thermal envelope and keep costs down.

Top Bottom