• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

zomgbbqftw said:
No they don't. That's the whole point, they get the benefits of a mature format, but they don't pay BDA licence fees or MPEG-LA licence fees for Blu-ray playback. True they lose the ability to play Blu-ray movies, but Nintendo have never made the 'all-in-one box' play like MS or Sony.
Uh, that's what I said.

Jin34

a176 said:
ibm processor, radeon graphics, flash memory

sounds like ...

microsoft-xbox-360-slim-4gb.jpg

Also:

QIXHC.gif

So don't be silly.

When I see this screen I'm reminded of crystal chronicles and four swords adventures where you'd have the 4 gba screens all in use. If nintendo wasn't shooting for that same kind of functionality they already tried on another system, I would be quite surprised.

Door2Dawn

Banned
zomgbbqftw said:
Yeah, my source on the Blu-ray said Wii-U is comparable to 360/PS3 in terms of raw power. Again, unofficial, but the original power target was much higher, but Nintendo cut stuff to fit a smaller thermal envelope and keep costs down.
Ah that disappointing.

Vinci

Danish
Door2Dawn said:
Ah that disappointing.

Don't be disappointed. I have another source. Says it blows them away.

No, I don't have a source. 'Cause who the fuck am I? Why are you believing some random dude that couldn't even get the disk format's name right??

Utako

Banned
This is all very sobering news.

Seriously Nintendo, $250 or bust.

I can afford more, but I just don't want to give you more.

kinggroin

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
it won't upscale wii games? surely this must be a mistake.

PS2 games look much nicer when played on my PS3 because of the upscaling.

Then you have a TV with a shitty scaler. Upscaling wii games only benefits folk on the lower end.

Matt

zomgbbqftw said:
Am I not allowed to rip on Kotaku?!? Seriously!?!
lol, if you were ripping on them OK, I just have no way of knowing that. I hope you are the real deal, insider are always a good thing to have around.

i think i have confirmation of just 1 new controller per machine

Wii U combines motion-sensing gameplay with the ability to support full HD graphics. Each Wii U console will be partnered with a new controller and can also use up to four additional Wii Remote™ or Wii Remote Plus controllers.

In single-player games:

The new controller can display information on its screen that does not appear on the TV.
The information and viewpoint can also change in the new controller based on the orientation of its gyroscope.

In multiplayer games:

The player using the new controller
can have a different experience than those looking at the TV. This will offer a wide variety of competitive and cooperative opportunities.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB...res_controller_with_62-inch_screen_43187.html

Vinci

Danish
Starchasing said:
i think i have confirmation of just 1 new controller per machine

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB...res_controller_with_62-inch_screen_43187.html

That could mean just what's in the box when you buy it, but yes, it's looking more and more likely that it'll only use one.

Fuck.

ipukespiders said:
Optical audio out?

If you're talking about the controller, it has a headphone jack.

Would like to see a new wii remote with motion+ built in that's better balanced.

What's wrong with the current Wii Remote +?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
ipukespiders said:
Optical audio out?

Would like to see a new wii remote with motion+ built in that's better balanced.

i will laugh so hard if it doesn't have one. The PS2 had one, and that came out 11 years ago. I know it does HDMI audio, but not everyone's receivers support HDMI audio.

Vinci said:
If you're talking about the controller, it has a headphone jack.

No, just wondering if anything has been said about optical audio out on the console (my receiver doesn't have hdmi inputs).

Vinci said:
What's wrong with the current Wii Remote +?

I just find it be very well balanced in your hands, but adding the motion+ sensor fucks that up. Would like to see a new designed wii remote with motion+ built in (and better d-pad while their at it).

Sounds like too much of a fail for only one controller to be used at a time. It just can't be true.
Please don't be

Matt said:
lol, if you were ripping on them OK, I just have no way of knowing that. I hope you are the real deal, insider are always a good thing to have around.

Probably should have made it clearer, but my style of humour probably doesn't translate well on the internet...

Either way, I wouldn't say I am an insider of any kind, but it is in my interest to know this stuff and have contacts in the tech industry, I wouldn't be very good at my job if I didn't...

upJTboogie said:
Sounds like too much of a fail for only one controller to be used at a time. It just can't be true.
Please don't be

I was trying to be optimistic about it with that I said above, but we have to remember that the console is called Wii-U. Get it? We with our four Wiimotes and you with your new tablet controller.

doomed1 said:
Take off your tin hat there, pal. You're embarrassing us...

Really, tell me what is so embarrassing. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but considering what was just posted that is less and less likely.

The more I think on it the more likely it seems that, like the Kinect, the tech just doesn't match our imaginations. Is there a latency free wireless technology out there that can stream four separate video feeds to four devices? Remember it also needs the bandwidth for the inputs from the devices as well. And it needs to be cheap.

More confirmation in addition to the posts above me, from the same source:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/news/2011/nintendos_upcoming_wii_u_console_features_controller_with_62-inch_screen_43187.html

At the E3 Expo, Nintendo introduced a new paradigm for video games and home entertainment: Wii U™, a new console that includes a controller with a 6.2-inch screen. Adding a second screen to the living room creates a multitude of new video game experiences while offering families a variety of options to customise their entertainment.

This pretty much clinches it. They specify a second screen. Not multiple screens. It is 1 tablet per console.

If it's only one tablet per Wii-U then it's fail. I mean really bad shit there. That they are being so ambiguous makes me think it is just one per console.

ElFly

What the fuck is the sensor strip?

ipukespiders said:
No, just wondering if anything has been said about optical audio out on the console (my receiver doesn't have hdmi inputs).

I just find it be very well balanced in your hands, but adding the motion+ sensor fucks that up. Would like to see a new designed wii remote with motion+ built in (and better d-pad while their at it).

New wiimotes integrate the Motion+ already.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
zomgbbqftw said:
Probably should have made it clearer, but my style of humour probably doesn't translate well on the internet...

Either way, I wouldn't say I am an insider of any kind, but it is in my interest to know this stuff and have contacts in the tech industry, I wouldn't be very good at my job if I didn't...
Don't worry, I believe you're as reliable as Emily Rogers.

Jinko

alr1ghtstart said:
i will laugh so hard if it doesn't have one. The PS2 had one, and that came out 11 years ago. I know it does HDMI audio, but not everyone's receivers support HDMI audio.

Most TV can take HDMI audio and spit it out the optical output, its not ideal but just thought I would mention it.

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Stupid waste of an opportunity. They should have incorporated this into the 3DS rather than another controller.

Batshit insane.

linkboy

Honestly, I think the name pretty much gave away the fact that there would be one controller per console.

Think about it. When Reggie was talking about U, he made it seem like it was geared towards single players.

Multi-player will be Wii

Single player will be U

Arkham said:
Stupid waste of an opportunity. They should have incorporated this into the 3DS rather than another controller.

Batshit insane.
I think you're missing the point that this is built into the system.

Ferrio

Banned
So what's the advantage of a bigass controller, that's more like it should be a portable handheld than something for the console?

alr1ghtstart said:
That would be funny but TBH, as long as it has HDMI audio, a third party could make a converter.

Monas

One controller per console tells me that it's not bluetooth but some kind of ad-hoc wifi n mode.
Bluetooth isn't trustworthy enough for video streaming, i think.
If it really has P7 and R7xxx Cpu and Gpu, it would not have a problem feeding 5 or 6 of these tiny vga-resolution screens. So the limitation is either the lack of ram (or hdd?) or the connection between the U and the peripheral.
And no multi-touch is ok, if you think about it. You're not gonna use the screen for rotating the mini-map but rather push buttons, point to answers and places on maps and sliding from a to b. Gameplay essential stuff.

Sony is closing on Nintendo real hard with the Vita-Ps3 relation.

ElFly

Chittagong said:
How come nobody is talking about the sensor strip embedded in the monster controller?

Oh yeah.

The golf demo showed the controller on the floor with a wiimote pointing to it, but that could work with existing wii technology.

Top Bottom