• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

Trurl said:
Did you just call me a scumbag? :lol
Only a scumbag could dislike expensive, fancy controllers and also dislike systems that only support only one of those fancy controllers at a time. I mean, who could possibly prefer buying a console and 3 additional fancy controllers rather than buy 4 consoles?

Yes, by that criteria I suppose I might be part of the scumbag collective :p.

Tron 2.0

Gaborn said:
I think Nintendo is big on building their console unveils around themes. Wii was built around "we" so they emphasized the social aspect. Wii U is built around individuals so they emphasized different ways "you" can play. I suspect when they're ready to announce price and such they'll announce the price of additional controllers.
That's an interesting take.

Because of course I would like to be able to use at least two tablet controllers at the same time. It seems the system really only fulfills its full potential if that's the case.

I mean, realistically what happens if the controller breaks? They HAVE to sell them stand alone and they might as well implement multiplayer use for it or what's the point?
I think it's simply that the technology isn't there.

Chittagong

Gold Member
7.jpg

Backside needs more dents and holes, somehow looks too plain to me.

Why are people finding it so hard to believe that it will only support one tablet controller per system? Bandwidth for a portable screen to maintain acceptable lag levels is not limitless.

Trurl

Banned
User Name Here said:
Has there been any mention of them starting production on the tablet as well as console? It could be that they are still looking at the possibilities of using multiple tablets.
That's a good point. If it is a question about saving a bit of money console side, I hope the don't make the dumb decision.

As long as the cost isn't prohibitive, this is a case where my desire for more stuff and Nintendo's desire for profit should go hand in hand.

Shahadan

And you forget that every single multiplayer example they gave us was focused on the advantage of having only ONE player with the tablet.

Tron 2.0

User Name Here said:
Has there been any mention of them starting production on the tablet as well as console? It could be that they are still looking at the possibilities of using multiple tablets.
I don't understand the connection. Could you explain it to me?

I'm not being snarky. I really don't understand.

Trurl

Banned
Lance Bone Path said:
Only a scumbag could dislike expensive, fancy controllers and also dislike systems that only support only one of those fancy controllers at a time. I mean, who could possibly prefer buying a console and 3 additional fancy controllers rather than buying 4 consoles?

Yes, by that criteria I suppose I might be part of the scumbag collective :p.
Ah.

I love the concept of the controller in the context of local multiplayer. Wanting to use several of these controllers and wanting them to not cost over $100 is not contradictory.

Acheteedo

One WiiU controller per system at once? Inferior version of any third party game with same screen co-op confirmed.

Tron 2.0

Gaborn said:
I think that's a pretty big assumption.
Maybe. I don't know a lot about streaming high quality video with little lag.

But what I do know makes me think it would take a lot of bandwidth and horsepower.

dock

Dre3001 said:
Didnt Nintendo try to do this Wii U controller concept back with the Gamecube??
Nintendo like to revisit old technology ideas if they figure out a good solution.
3DS is a good example of this.

Vinci

Danish
Yeah, I'm waiting on confirmation from Nintendo that it's only one controller per console. That would be insane. I mean, the controller itself is already a bit insane, but not offering local multiplayer on it outside of Wii Remotes?

No. I won't believe that. The potential with even two of these things is too great to pass up on.

Gaborn

From Iwata Asks:

Miyamoto: Also, many games from Nintendo are a multiplayer experience, where you play in big groups. With the Nintendo 3DS and DS systems, you play by not needing to show your screen to anyone else. And with Wii games everyone plays while watching the same screen. With Wii U, you are able to combine both, the ability to display information that no one else can see, and the screen that everyone watches while playing, to come up with new ways to play. In this year's E3, we're demonstrating how that works on the show floor.

Iwata: So, in a way, the people who are playing are standing on different fields. Not everyone has the same perspective, and the situation becomes more interesting because of that one single player who is looking at the game from a different point of view.

That's from section 3, "Good Ideas"

Guevara

antonz said:
01net early on said it was gonna be in the 800x500 range.
Is there any reason whatsoever that this makes sense? Is it throttled because of bandwidth issues? Is that a standard resolution for anything?

Vinci said:
Yeah, I'm waiting on confirmation from Nintendo that it's only one controller per console. That would be insane. I mean, the controller itself is already a bit insane, but not offering local multiplayer on it outside of Wii Remotes?

No. I won't believe that. The potential with even two of these things is too great to pass up on.

I think that if it can stream a full screen without any lag and if you want to use 4 controllers, it could stream a 1/4 of the screen to each console, more than enough for a static inventory and such.. like our current item in mario kart wii u

Shahadan

Vinci said:

What would be insane is a console streaming games on multiples screens.

And actually I think having only one player with the screen would be far more intersting. It reminds me of those games where one player is assigned a secret task or a target.

Vinci

Danish
Shahadan said:
What would be insane is a console streaming games on multiples screens.

And actually I think having only one player with the screen would be far more intersting. It reminds me of those games where one player is assigned a secret task or a target.

Arstechnica said:
and playing with multiple new controllers also offers a ton of possibilities

From their hands-on. Could be a guess though.

Tron 2.0

Starchasing said:
I think that if it can stream a full screen without any lag and if you want to use 4 controllers, it could stream a 1/4 of the screen to each console, more than enough for a static inventory and such.. like our current item in mario kart wii u
This might be possible. Streaming something less taxing like inventory or a menu to multiple tablet controllers.

Codeblue

H_Prestige said:
No GC backward compatibility for real? Now that is dumb. If Sony can support their last, last gen console, so can you.

At least Nintendo is supporting their last gen stuff. I'd rather have Wii than GCN, and I'd rather have PS2 than PS1.

Curufinwe

Guevara said:
Is there any reason whatsoever that this makes sense? Is it throttled because of bandwidth issues? Is that a standard resolution for anything?

It's a 6 inch screen... what kind of resolution would you expect that small of a screen to have?

Tron 2.0 said:
I don't understand the connection. Could you explain it to me?

I'm not being snarky. I really don't understand.

I was trying to say that some aspects of the controller and/or console may still be under design consideration; assuming they haven't started production already.

Gaborn

Miyamoto: So when I think about it within the concept of bringing the Wii to a place that's further ahead, I think it's fine the way it is now aside from how we wanted to add an independent screen like with this new controller. The other thing was we wanted to make the switch to HD. But I had no hesitation in going that direction. Right now I'm planning that people can still be able to use their Wii Remote controllers that they already have, which means this time you now have five controllers to play with.

Iwata: You mean this new controller, and four Wii Remote Plus controllers for a total of five.

Miyamoto: Right. Five controllers. And we have people play in many combinations.

I'm not sure what "combinations" can mean other than, for example, 2 new controllers, 3 Wiimotes, 3 new controllers, 2 wii motes, etc.

Codeblue said:
At least Nintendo is supporting their last gen stuff. I'd rather have Wii than GCN, and I'd rather have PS2 than PS1.

but if it plays wii games it can play GC games.... maybe they will offer them in the virtual console ...

Codeblue

Starchasing said:
but if it plays wii games it can play GC games.... maybe they will offer them in the virtual console ...

Right, I agree that it should, I'm just saying that Nintendo shouldn't strive for Sony's idea of BC.

ciccione

Please, confirm or not: is it official only one tablet per wi u? If true the multy local is dead. Major disappointment

Al-ibn Kermit

If the tablet controller's screen is really 800*500 (which makes sense for a screen of that size) then the screen would have a resolution that's less than half as many pixels as 720P. In that case, I could see the WiiU streaming information to at least two controllers and then just displaying scores or a map or something on the actual TV.

That's assuming that bandwidth isn't a problem which I don't think that it would be.

Codeblue said:

Let's not make excuses. They can and should support both. Especially when the two systems are 99% identical under the hood.

Fou-Lu

Totobeni said:
Power 7 with that screen/tablet controller..

$399 if we are lucky.

I'd pay $799 for this easy. Of course I'll be splitting the cost with my roommates so I'm cheating.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
There is no way the Wii U can stream to four separate devices at the same time without some major, major sacrifices to the graphics/engine/etc.

I'd say it's a very safe bet that it's one tablet per console.

Instro

Gaborn said:
I'm not sure what "combinations" can mean other than, for example, 2 new controllers, 3 Wiimotes, 3 new controllers, 2 wii motes, etc.

WiiU, Wiimote, Wiimote+nunchuck, CC, CCPro I believe.

I haven't got this officially yet, but iDensity is Blu-ray in all but name. Nintendo didn't want to pay extra licence fees on top of the already hefty patent licensing costs for blue-laser tech so they went and got a variant of Blu-ray that can be made in a regular BD-ROM press and uses the same blue-violet laser diode. This has the added bonus of keeping disc pressing costs down, the ability to source drives from a host of Taiwanese manufacturers, and general maturity of Blu-ray as a high density format makes it relatively cheap ($30 for a read only drive with silencing).

My source put it into context, he said it was like GD-ROM to CD-ROM, so this will not insulate Nintendo from disc based piracy if their console gets hacked for it. If any decent homebrew turns up, it should play Blu-ray movies as well.

antonz

zomgbbqftw said:
I haven't got this officially yet, but iDensity is Blu-ray in all but name. Nintendo didn't want to pay extra licence fees on top of the already hefty patent licensing costs for blue-laser tech so they went and got a variant of Blu-ray that can be made in a regular BD-ROM press and uses the same blue-violet laser diode. This has the added bonus of keeping disc pressing costs down, the ability to source drives from a host of Taiwanese manufacturers, and general maturity of Blu-ray as a high density format makes it relatively cheap ($30 for a read only drive with silencing).

My source put it into context, he said it was like GD-ROM to CD-ROM, so this will not insulate Nintendo from disc based piracy if their console gets hacked for it. If any decent homebrew turns up, it should play Blu-ray movies as well.
Yep it was too obvious the way Reggie worded things on tv. It was a thinly veiled jab at the 360 when he said there wont be any space issues with the format for their games

Top Bottom