• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

antonz

brochiller said:
It has nothing to do with bad luck. The only reason the GC suffered was because it's format was too small, only 1.5GB compared to the full size 4.7GB DVD's of its competitors. If this console really has enough storage space, then the fact that it's proprietary won't matter.
Yep and Reggie said on TV that Wii U uses a new High Density Optical Disc and that due to the nature of HD gaming space will not be an issue on the disc.

Matches up perfectly with the already reported 25GB Optical Discs at launch

lucius

BigJonsson said:
Thats not the point

The point is that when Wii U is out it will get the big multi-platform games when they are released

I think the point that was one of the biggest cheers means this is catering to people who don't have 360/ps3 not the hardcore. Yeah it should get big multiplatform games but how long will that last a year maybe, then they could end up being passed over from developers main focus since the big titles will sure to be moved to next xbox/ps4 since Wii U is not a generation ahead of 360/ps3 power, about half gen worth and that is being generous. I don't think their 3rd party support will be as bad as Wii, gosh I hope not, but I still see problems for this being the main system game developers focus on in coming years.

Batongen said:
Well, here's my extrapolated view of it. Forget about the rumours when the controller and the system was "announced" a few months ago, because this is, if you would believe it or not, really the Wii HD. We should instead look back at what was said about the system and rumours from long ago, like how John Davidson and, to a lesser extent, Michael Pachter called it a looong time ago. Let me give you a quote from mr Davidson anno 2008:

http://playsquad.commongate.com/post/Wii_HD_Set_for_2011/

So what's the controller, is it unique? Well in my mind they are at least showing us what was rumoured, a Wii HD. The controller is there to somewhat extend the life of the system and make sure that developers can use the Wii controller in future HD games.

The play of words, Wii (We) and U (You) is obviously trying to setup their strategy that the tablet controller is mostly used for single player and for the wii controller and it's extensions to live on when playing multi. Sure, I am not saying it is NOT disappointing that it looks like only one player will be supported with the new controller and probably miss out on some multi gameplay functionality, but will we cry if we play an FPS with a classical controller? Probably not.

So in reality, Nintendo is really giving us what we wanted all along, Nintendo games in HD.
Is it in latest, state of the art HD? Nope not really, but the fact that they might be able to evolutionize their Wii platform with a new control scheme, at the right price, might be enough for now. At least until Sony and Microsoft release their new console. Until then, anything in the marketplace can happen.
No.

This is the same as NES-->SNES, GB-->GBA, and DS-->3DS.

Trurl

Banned
Zoramon089 said:
I'm assuming you're ignoring the fact that the controller features all the buttons of a normal controller, the system is stronger than teh PS3/360 and that EA is helping them with online, right?
I know that. I mean to say that the controller's potential is many times greater if you are able to use multiple controllers in local multiplayer.

This honestly takes away more than half of the hype I had for the controller.

Gaborn

JGS said:
A link regarding one controller (no way it's true in any event) would be nice. I'm going to ignore that gripe otherwise.

The same room thing is not surprising. It's not a portable. It's seems similar to the Wiimote.

Fortunately the general public can see it for what it is - a more powerful console which includes a controller with a screen on it.

Seriously. I really really want an official source for the claim.

_bla_

Basileus777 said:
Maybe it's a limitation of where the console is at now, and not what's planned for release.
It could be a wireless bandwidth problem. Each controller needs its own video stream. If they want lagless video and no visible compression artifacts they likely need something like 10mbit/s bandwidth per controller guaranteed bandwidth. Guaranteeing 40mbit/s bandwidth for four controllers could be a problem especially within densely populated urban areas.

Tron 2.0

Gaborn said:
Seriously. I really really want an official source for the claim.
There is no official source. Nintendo hasn't said.

But if you piece together the information that is available, it doesn't seem far fetched.

Raistlin

Mr_Brit said:
It's probably Blu Ray tech just not Blu Ray so they don't have to pay licensing fees. This probably also means Wii U won't play Blu Ray discs or DVDs.
That's really not how it works though. You can't just avoid licensing fees by changing one thing. Granted they avoid the actual license for using the BD trademarks, but they still have the license the tech that is similar.

BD, like DVD, CD, etc. is not a single patent. The tech side of things are a patent portfolio that contain dozens if not hundreds of patents. So unless they or the manufacture want to be sued (because obviously they didn't make this from scratch), there are going to be some licensing fees. Granted Nintendo is paying this indirectly. Whoever is OEMing the drives will handle that side of things and pass it on. In all likelihood it's Matsushita as that would get them some level of discount since they have the largest patent portfolio other than Sony.

Gaborn

Tron 2.0 said:

But if you piece together the information that is available, it doesn't seem far fetched.

You think a company that emphasizes social gaming and multiplayer for their consoles would do this? Really? I mean, I think EA would be HORRIFIED. One of the biggest advantages of, say, Madden multiplayer would be playing with your friends and each of you can call your own plays without it being on the screen.

ksamedi

Tron 2.0 said:

It seems far fetched in the logic department. I can't see the advantage of limiting this console to only one controller, not even from a cost standpoint.

Tron 2.0

Gaborn said:
You think a company that emphasizes social gaming and multiplayer for their consoles would do this? Really? I mean, I think EA would be HORRIFIED. One of the biggest advantages of, say, Madden multiplayer would be playing with your friends and each of you can call your own plays without it being on the screen.
ksamedi said:
It seems far fetched in the logic department. I can't see the advantage of limiting this console to only one controller, not even from a cost standpoint.
I think it's a limitation of the technology.

But, hey, I would love to be wrong!

Gaborn said:

They talked about those exact points at the end of the conference, it wouldn't make any sense if only ONE player could secretly pick his plays and the other had to select on the screen. I think it's only because the tech demos have been made to use 1 tablet + multiple wiimotes that people are prematurely assuming that one tablet's the limit.

Gaborn said:

Good point.

legend166

I guess I don't understand the whinging about lack of an HDD. Probably because I have no interest downloading full size games on consoles. And 32gb SD cards will be cheap by the time this thing comes out.

The fact that between Move having no traction and now this, IR pointing and its equivalents are basically dead is much more distressing.

Sianos

HisshouBuraiKen said:
They talked about those exact points at the end of the conference, it wouldn't make any sense if only ONE player could secretly pick his plays and the other had to select on the screen. I think it's only because the tech demos have been made to use 1 tablet + multiple wiimotes that people are prematurely assuming that one tablet's the limit.

Yeah, it really doesn't make sense to have only one tablet.

The only reason people are saying this is ebcause the demos we saw were all one tablet demos. Doesn't mean that all the games are limited to one tablet.

Takao

Banned
Why would I want a screen on the thing if I can't take a shit and play Mario? Why is the screen only single touch? Wow Nintendo, cheap much?

Trurl

Banned
HisshouBuraiKen said:
http://e3.nintendo.com/hw/#/gallery/playstyle

Look at the bottom of that page. It shows a lot of controller combinations. One that is obviously missing is "2-4 new controllers together."

Even if they can't do 4 streaming controllers, they should at least try really hard to do two.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
legend166 said:
I guess I don't understand the whinging about lack of an HDD. Probably because I have no interest downloading full size games on consoles. And 32gb SD cards will be cheap by the time this thing comes out.
It also helps run disc based games if you install them to the local HDD. So it isn't JUST for downloading full size games.

BrhysH

dock said:
This does seem to be the limit for controllers.
(I tried to point this out, but my thread was closed :/ )

Losing out on gamecube controller support is a bit disappointing, but there weren't many games that made use of the eight player local option. No bongos!

Doesn't confirm you can only use one new controller. Nintendo could be just showing the wi-motes as a "Hey look your wii motes will work with this new console when you upgrade."

rpmurphy

Tron 2.0 said:
I think it's a limitation of the technology.

But, hey, I would love to be wrong!
It probably is if it is true. Is there any other device out on the market that can output to an HDTV plus do essentially lagless video transmission to multiple devices at the same time?

Gaborn

NSQuote said:
Yeah, it really doesn't make sense to have only one tablet.

The only reason people are saying this is ebcause the demos we saw were all one tablet demos. Doesn't mean that all the games are limited to one tablet.

Yep. Plus, one of the big features they hyped was the ability to play your games while someone else watched TV. I imagine it'd be pretty limiting if that feature only worked with single player.

Trurl

Banned
Maybe we'll get lucky and Nintendo will show off multiple tablets being used together later this week. In any case, I suggest we whine and gnash our teeth until Nintendo spends the r&d money needed to get multiple tablets running.

Maybe it will be able to stream to multiple controllers if the TV is not in use. Either way, I smell a major limitation.

aeolist

Banned
In any case it's clear they have a modern-design graphics pipeline with programmable shaders and even if there's upgrading or downgrading involved porting won't be an issue.

Wii U will get the same versions of CoD, UE3 will get ported to it, and the EA Sports games will be there. It'll be equivalent to the PS3 third party support at the very least.

Tron 2.0

aeolist said:
Wii U will get the same versions of CoD, UE3 will get ported to it, and the EA Sports games will be there. It'll be equivalent to the PS3 third party support at the very least.
UE3 is already confirmed to be running on it. The new Alien game from Sega/Gearbox is UE3.

Batongen said:
Actually, perhaps that is what I am saying, but you put it as logically as possible in one line :)
Well, maybe. When you say Wii HD I think Pachter, and this is certainly not what he predicted. This is a new console all together.

Gaborn

Trurl said:
Maybe we'll get lucky and Nintendo will show off multiple tablets being used together later this week. In any case, I suggest we whine and gnash our teeth until Nintendo spends the r&d money needed to get multiple tablets running.

Can we at least stop assuming it CAN'T until they say it can't? It seems like your mind is made up when the most likely scenario is it can. I can't remember the last time a system was assumed to ONLY work with 1 controller (not counting the Wii motes)

iceatcs

Red UFO said:
Showed this to my parents (Mum doesn't play games, Dad plays Call of Duty). Both of them were amazed.
Just spoke about Wii U to my parent and they don't give a single of fuck and move on new topic :(

I wish I have gaming family.

Red UFO

I know a lot of people are saying that this will be outclassed when the next-generation of consoles from Microsoft and Sony are released but honestly, I don't see a such a huge leap next generation, at all.

Gaborn said:
Can we at least stop assuming it CAN'T until they say it can't? It seems like your mind is made up when the most likely scenario is it can. I can't remember the last time a system was assumed to ONLY work with 1 controller (not counting the Wii motes)
How about the wii fit?

Tron 2.0

Gaborn said:
You don't think it's the least bit odd that they haven't shown anything, even PR art, showing multiple tablet controllers together?

If anything, it seems odd to assume otherwise.

Medalion

Banned
As far as I can tell this Wii U is exactly what I thought it would be. It didn't surprise me or over wow me, it's just an HD Wii, and this is more or less what I got.

Gaborn

Lance Bone Path said:
How about the wii fit?

Single player game.

Tron - Not really. Their focus was a Wii U and relating it to individuals. They didn't NEED to show multiplayer so they didn't.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I won't believe that it will only allow single-tablet use until I see it confirmed.

Tron 2.0 said:
You don't think it's the least bit odd that they haven't shown anything, even PR art, showing multiple tablet controllers together?

Of course, this is the weird part. You'd think Nintendo would show a whole bunch of those in a room together if it was capable. Imagine the dual-tablet capabilities, too.

Bert

Trurl said:
I know that. I mean to say that the controller's potential is many times greater if you are able to use multiple controllers in local multiplayer.

This honestly takes away more than half of the hype I had for the controller.

Scumbag GAF: Moans that controllers with a screen would kill local multiplayer due to expense...complains that you can only have one controller with a screen.

Trurl

Banned
Did you just call me a scumbag? :lol

I won't believe that it will only allow single-tablet use until I see it confirmed.
That's fair. Either way we're just making educated guesses.

I know that this is naive, but if it does only support one tablet I hope that there is enough disappointment to push Nintendo into fixing it.

sajj316

A bit disappointed that the system will not upscale existing Wii and Gamecube games. There is a reason why I don't play Wii games on an HDTV ...It's a visual mess.

Gaborn

PantherLotus said:
Of course, this is the weird part. You'd think Nintendo would show a whole bunch of those in a room together if it was capable. Imagine the dual-tablet capabilities, too.

I think Nintendo is big on building their console unveils around themes. Wii was built around "we" so they emphasized the social aspect. Wii U is built around individuals so they emphasized different ways "you" can play. I suspect when they're ready to announce price and such they'll announce the price of additional controllers.

I mean, realistically what happens if the controller breaks? They HAVE to sell them stand alone and they might as well implement multiplayer use for it or what's the point?

MaddenNFL64

sajj316 said:
A bit disappointed that the system will not upscale existing Wii and Gamecube games. There is a reason why I don't play Wii games on an HDTV ...It's a visual mess.

play them on the controller then :p.

PantherLotus said:

Has there been any mention of them starting production on the tablet as well as console? It could be that they are still looking at the possibilities of using multiple tablets.

FStop7

Banned
ksamedi said:
I don't believe it only supports 1 tablet controller per console. That would be the most stupid thing Nintendo could do with this.

I can believe it. Sending multiple HD signals over the air would require some crazy bandwidth, not to mention be very taxing on the hardware.

JGS

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:

What would be odd is few to no journalists assuming one controller only. I hope someone asks about it.

I'm not going to be surprised if they are having issues with it this early, but the intent is clearly there unless their focus is almost solely online multi-player/single player.

FStop7 said:
I can believe it. Sending multiple HD signals over the air would require some crazy bandwidth, not to mention be very taxing on the hardware.
Yup. I'm no techie but that wouldn't be very realistic

Shahadan

Seems pretty clear given their examples from the conference and just using logic that it is one controller only.
No way the console would stream to multiple controllers at once.

Top Bottom