• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

It's kind of funny that Ken Levine talked about being able to play a game in bed without disturbing his wife, turns out he won't be able to do that unless he has the system in his bedroom
or sleeps in his living room.

Sianos

Only one Wii U controller per console is pretty lame, since one of the big things was eliminating screen-watching in local multiplayer.

v1oz

NSQuote said:
Only one Wii U controller per console is pretty lame, since one of the big things was eliminating screen-watching in local multiplayer.
I thought the hide and seek game demo was four player?

Sounds pretty underwhelming so far, and I don't think the controller will be enough for Nintendo to strike gold like they did with the Wii. Really though, I think what disappoints me most is that the controller has to be in the same room as the console. Sort of negates a lot of the potential of that interface imo.

Also, I'm expecting Nintendo to fuck up the pricing like they did with the 3DS. They're basically throwing away all these ripe opportunities to back their competitors into a corner by playing it conservative without exception. Nintendo's complacency is going to be a huge boon for Sony, who for all their bad decisions this past generation is never afraid of going for the jugular to compete.

=HERO=

Neo Member
Reposting my post in here since I think it's really relevant to any discussion about graphics capabilities of Wii U.

Yeah, just realized a lot of these troll responses are coming from juniors popping out of the woodwork <_<.

Anyway, for anyone who wants to discuss this maturely, people are really going to have to rewatch the bird/cherryblossom tech demo closely (at least when an HD version pops up that isn't streaming badly :/ ), and then honestly tell me if the PS3/360 can achieve those graphics, with that detail, and at that framerate, and at 1080p.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Stabbie said:
Someone explain why Reggie didn't want to say anything if the CPU is that impressive.
Because they don't see much benefit in going into the specs wars? Is the Apple strategy, they not revealed the specs of the iPad 2, but the A5 is the most powerful mobile SoC in the market atm.

_bla_

McHuj said:
No information, but looking at the size of the WiiU, it's not going to be very power hungry device. Small form factor, small cooling package system.

At present, I doubt you could fit a 360 or PS3 into that form factor and keep it cool enough (at a decent cost). Both of those systems still overheat in the current designs.

Next year, at 32/28nm process tech I think it will be possible.

Performance will be very similar to PS3/360.
It isn't unlikely that they already got 32nm or even 28nm samples running. Intel is shipping production-grade 32nm CPUs since more than year. I think TSMC already got 28nm running in the labs, but the yield is likely not yet there for mass production. Mass production of 28nm chips at TSMC is planned for Q4 2011.
So if they want to launch mid or end 2012, they should be able to use 28nm parts.

Also RSX is comparable to a 7900GT, a ATI Radeon HD 5570 is about 3-4 faster, cheap and needs 45 Watt max. If double the power of RSX is fine we are likely looking at 25 Watt max, even at a 40nm process node. So the whole system could be 50 Watt or something like that. 50 Watt in small case would likely require a noisy fan, but should otherwise work without problems.

TunaLover

Mmmmh kinda dissapointed that Wü will not upscale Wii games, but still, if you play through HDMI it shouldn't improve the image quality since the system will make the conversion not the TV right?

antonz

DeathNote said:
I'm fine with it not letting you use blu-ray. I have one anyway and it puts less load on your drive.
Well its gonna use blu ray just nintendo style. They confirmed High Density Optical Media and Reggie flat out said disc space will not be an issue for games

TunaLover said:
Mmmmh kinda dissapointed that Wü will not upscale Wii games, but still, if you play through HDMI it shouldn't improve the image quality since the system will make the conversion not the TV right?

If the system feeds the TV a 480p image, the TV will scale it.

ghostmind

Zombie James said:
It's kind of funny that Ken Levine talked about being able to play a game in bed without disturbing his wife, turns out he won't be able to do that unless he has the system in his bedroom

Rather misleading for Nintendo to stick this in their presentation then. Already giving out false expectations?

bananaman1234

Unconfirmed Member
1 screen controller per system confirmed by multiple sites? Huge letdown if it is even though I usually play single player games.

J-Rock

Banned
_Alkaline_ said:
I don't get the one controller thing. How do you play local multiplayer?

My guess: Some games could use more than one controller with limited features(ie: maps, inventory, etc.). FULL games on the controller screen will probably only be allowed on one controller at a time.

Sianos

J-Rock said:
My guess: Some games could use more than one controller with limited features(ie: maps, inventory, etc.). FULL games on the controller screen will probably only be allowed on one controller at a time.
What about splitscreen local multiplayer games?

squicken

I'm really surprised that bird demo impressed anyone. I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong, but that thing looked more Vita than PS3.

J-Rock said:

That would be a real shame.

This could've been the end of split-screen gaming, and thus, screen-cheating.

Matt

ghostmind said:
Rather misleading for Nintendo to stick this in their presentation then. Already giving out false expectations?
Reggie just said one room in an interview, dosen't really mean anything necessarily.

J-Rock

Banned
squicken said:
I'm really surprised that bird demo impressed anyone. I'll happily eat crow if I'm wrong, but that thing looked more Vita than PS3.

Are you trying to start an arguement?

A decent HDMI cable (monoprice ftw) is fairly thick. I don't want this running out of my controller, especially if I'm moving it around.

Ulairi

Banned
ipukespiders said:
A decent HDMI cable (monoprice ftw) is fairly thick. I don't want this running out of my controller, especially if I'm moving it around.

What the hell are you talking about?

linkboy

ipukespiders said:

wii-u-console-only-600-1307468645.jpg

The HDMI cord will be coming out of here.

squicken said:

I thought for a real-time sample it looked good. Whoever programmed the bird's animation did an especially good job.

Zombie James said:

He'll have one in his bedroom and will play games on his controller before he goes to bed rather than move to his U hooked up to other TV in the house

Kyzer

Banned
Zombie James said:

What's funny about that?

squicken

J-Rock said:
Are you trying to start an arguement?

I'm voicing my opinion. I hope I'm wrong. I want(ed) Nintendo to come out and give us a true step up from the 360/PS3, and I didn't see it from the footage presented.

My experience at the consumer end with videogame marketing is that when these guys have an advantage, they don't don't hesitate to shout it from the rooftops. Their silence on tech, to me, is telling.

Well, the fact (?) that you can only use one Wii U controller certainly solves the controller price issue that some of us thought this would have.

Trurl

Banned
Even if Nintendo is cheap they should make sure that this thing can use more than one of the streaming controllers. If not they'll miss out on a chance to sell lots of expensive accessories.
Well, the fact (?) that you can only use one Wii U controller certainly solves the controller price issue that some of us thought this would have.
It also gets rid of a lot of the point. I want awesome multiplayer games like Four Swords. >=^[

ksamedi

I don't believe it only supports 1 tablet controller per console. That would be the most stupid thing Nintendo could do with this.

gimz

NSQuote said:
is this confirmed? this is what i have been worrying about, it would sucks and pointless

Top Bottom