• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

lucius

Why did people applaud when Batman Arkham City was announced?

It will be getting all the top games like Batman, Assassins Creed late ,but who the heck is gonna wait until next year to play those 6 months later, after those releases people will want new games in 2012. Not many ppl will care about Arkham City next year except fanboys who won't buy other systems. When they announce new versions for WiiU then I will be excited.

MysticX

gutter_trash said:
downoadable PSN and XBLA games were a god-send while waiting in-between big Triple AAA titles

the lack of an HDD just places doubts into my head that the Wii U will get anything of importance like PSN or XBLA downloadble games

while PS3 and 360 increased their HDDs sizes to push that functionality at home.. Nintendo still ignores it

no thanks

ehmmm...u stupid or what? it makes the console cheaper, and let´s you use any HDD you buy and use it as a HDD, I prefer that solution. I´ll never forget the awful solution xbox went with.

Bert

Anyone knowing the features of this system and expecting it to stream 4 independent views to 4 separate screens plus the TV is fricken insane.

The screen is for single player, online multiplayer and the occasional use case like Pacman Vs (or whatever the Mii game is called)

squicken said:
If this thing crapped all over the 360 and PS3, Nintendo would have made sure to let everyone know. That tech demo should have blown us away, and it looked sub-360

GAF never ceases to amaze...

Gilby

unrenowned said:
What's the point of the non-TV play if I can't take the controller with me to the toilet?

I think we need to find out how FAR this actually works away from the system. I live in a pretty small place...

The Wii not being upscaled is well...look in the Dolphin thread. A lot of the special effects in these games are at a standard definition resolution only which can frankly, end up looking like a mess.

But for some games which don't suffer any issues like New Super Mario Bros Wii its a appointment.

Only one Wii U. At least we don't have to worry about price of additional anymore. Still I hope theres 3DS <> Wii U connectivity. I think one of the reasons GCN<>GBA flopped was having to buy a separate cable which was only worth it if you had buddies to enjoy the multiplayer ones.

lucius said:

It will be getting all the top games like Batman, Assassins Creed late ,but who the heck is gonna wait until next year to play those 6 months later, after those releases people will want new games in 2012. Not many ppl will care about Arkham City next year except fanboys who won't buy other systems. When they announce new versions for WiiU then I will be excited.

They need to be special editions with a lot more features than what we get on other platforms for me to be interested.

Only one controller means that the Wii remote and nunchuck will have to be incorporated into most every game that allows two+ player local play. I would think this will result in very specific types of games to be prevalent on this system (games like the hide and seek demo).

It will be useful for games that can be played online I imagine, but I can't see how it would be incorporated in any meaningful way when playing an online MP game with local split screen. Unless Nintendo also plans on releasing a traditional (no screen) dual analog controller. The ports of third party current gen games will likely just use the standard HD-console control schemes with some secondary screen element tacked on, so for games like MW that allow local split screen a secondary controller (non-waggle) should likely be necessary.

Stabbie said:
Someone explain why Reggie didn't want to say anything if the CPU is that impressive.
it was all about the experience. hence why they didnt open with hd experience so that people know the graphical capability of the console.

Will Wii games play on the remote screen? They'll probably look good on that. Shame they're not in HD though, hopefully that's something they do further down the line.

Regarding singletouch -- multitouch is possible on resistive touch screens... depending on what parts they use, it is again something that might be possible further down the line. As drawing Link and drawing on Tekken characters looks so fucking cool, I don't mind so much that its resistive but I am a little disappointed in that it limits the touch screen possibilities for games a little.

I hope all sorts of cool apps come out for it.

Matt

TekkenMaster said:
Why not include a Wii emulator like Dolphin that can upscale to 1080P?
Because that will break a ton of games, and Nintendo dosen't want to have to re-check every single one.

clav

Zoramon089 said:
Was it ever said if it only supports 1 controller per system?

It's a 6 inch screen! A your fingers the size of sausages?
I suppose they chose resistive so that it makes drawing easier, so it requires you to use a stylus, and the screens are cheaper.

However, in this day in age, smartphones already are on multitouch although supposedly multitouch makes drawing with a stylus difficult.

The screen is easily twice the size of smartphones'.

Are the Power-based chips running really cool?
How can they squeeze a high-performance CPU together with a modern GPU inside such a small case without it overheating.

TekkenMaster said:
Why not include a Wii emulator like Dolphin that can upscale to 1080P?

Nintendo doesn't usually go for that type of emulation. They'd prefer maximum compatibility and function over improved visuals.

Dragon

Banned
thehillissilent said:
They need to be special editions with a lot more features than what we get on other platforms for me to be interested.

If BioShock and Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 are any indication, this shit will not work. Granted the graphical capabilities weren't upgraded on the PS3 but they had tons more content and it did jack shit.

lucius said:

Thats not the point

The point is that when Wii U is out it will get the big multi-platform games when they are released

teiresias

Gilby said:
It's nice not being wallet raped for a proprietary HDD.
PS3 has let you put your own hdd in it since it launched, and it's internal so nicely packaged in the unit despite not being a proprietary drive.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Drkirby said:
Personally, I rather use a Stylus then my finger, the point of a pen beats the blob of my finger any day, and I don't think sharp tipped Stylus Pens work on Capacitive Touch Screens.

Ok, do you have 3 hands?

Stabbie said:
Someone explain why Reggie didn't want to say anything if the CPU is that impressive.
So people can have elaborate, unrestricted fantasies as they spend the next 12-18 months waiting for more than a couple worthwhile games to appear on a Nintendo console.

clav

Drkirby said:
Personally, I rather use a Stylus then my finger, the point of a pen beats the blob of my finger any day, and I don't think sharp tipped Stylus Pens work on Capacitive Touch Screens.
Yeah after typing that reaction, I realized what I said a few posts down later.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm trying to get the whole factual blow at once:

- only one screen controller per console
- only streaming to the same room
- no multitouch, resistive display
- no blu-ray
- no standing design in console, only one forced to vertical

Any other letdowns I missed? Better get them out of the way and focus on the future.

Of All Trades said:
So people can have elaborate, unrestricted fantasies as they spend the next 12-18 months waiting for more than a couple worthwhile games to appear on a Nintendo console.

Ouch!

Gilby

Chittagong said:

- no blu-ray

Any other letdowns I missed? Better get them out of the way and focus on the future.

It's not bluray, but apparently something similar.

Chittagong said:

- no blu-ray

The only legit letdown is the first one...the others are just nitpicking

McHuj

Stabbie said:

Just because the CPU has an impressive and efficient architecture doesn't mean it will be fully utilized that way.

We know nothing about the number of cores, clock speeds, and the amount of embedded dram it has.

I'm guessing Nintendo had a power budget for the console and some performance targets for their console and asked IBM for a custom P7 design to meet that. Given that the P7 is much more efficient than earlier Power architectures, they could probably easily hit the performance of something like a Xenos at much lower speeds and lower power.

I still believe it will be in the 1.5 range of a X360-PS3, the modern CPU (and hopefully GPU) allows them to keep a small form factor and low power design at a reasonable cost.

Varjet

Chittagong said:

- no blu-ray

The Wii also didn't use DVDs, total letdown.

linsivvi

Gilby said:
It's nice not being wallet raped for a proprietary HDD.

They don't have to rape you for a proprietary HDD while still pack one in.

Manufacturers can pack in a HDD at a cost much lower than the price you pay in retail.

But I guess it's better to rape you with a proprietary single touch screen that many people do not want. One you have to hold in your hand all the time while not looking at it the majority of the time.

methodman said:
Yeah, I'll be really disappointed if you can only have one of those controllers per system.

Most likely. Considering the bandwidth and CPU time required to render multiple controller images in real time in addition to the HD image on the TV.

Averon

No multi-touch
Cannot up-scale Wii games
Can only use the controller wirelessly if in the same room as the console
Can only use one controller at a time

Wii U is sounding worse the more I hear about it.

I'm disappointed about not being able to play from anywhere in my home, but thinking about it for a bit... I wonder if it's possible for a third party developer to make some kind of wireless bridge that will allow you to stream games to the tablet from anywhere in your home while not effecting latency. You would leave the wireless bridge near the console and then have the option of being wherever you wanted in your home.

Averon said:
No multi-touch
Cannot up-scale Wii games
Can only use the controller wirelessly if in the same room as the console
Can only use one controller at a time

Wii U is sounding worse the more I hear about it.
hey post this list again, it wasnt sufficient the first 30 times it was said

Top Bottom