• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tech Info On Wii U/Controller, Wont Scale Wii Games, Singletouch, Same Room Use

Trurl said:
Even if Nintendo is cheap they should make sure that this thing can use more than one of the streaming controllers. If not they'll miss out on a chance to sell lots of expensive accessories.

It also gets rid of a lot of the point. I want awesome multiplayer games like Four Swords. >=^[

Seriously. If we can only use one tablet, I'll be sad.

ksamedi

SolidSnakex said:
Well, the fact (?) that you can only use one Wii U controller certainly solves the controller price issue that some of us thought this would have.

But it creates a lot of problems as well. How are you going to play stuff like Tekken then?

likeGdid

The limit of 1 WiiU Controller per system looks to me like Nintendo's putting less emphasis on local multiplayer. Well, at the very least the type of multiplayer games that would require everyone to have a WiiU controller (as opposed to WiiU Controller + Wiimotes + etc type games)

The only way this would make sense would be if they're stepping up their online system. Online, there's the expectation everyone would have their own WiiU controller.

Very disappointing, but I wonder if it was expecting too much for a console to be able to stream to 4 different controllers at once.

Unless... everyone brings their own WiiU console and they all connect wirelessly! An impractical solution to have 4 WiiU controllers.

JGS

Banned
gimz said:
is this confirmed? this is what i have been worrying about, it would sucks and pointless
It would contradict what EA said for sure. I'm confused because I didn't see this one controller limitation anywhere.

pr0cs

ksamedi said:
I don't believe it only supports 1 tablet controller per console. That would be the most stupid thing Nintendo could do with this.
They would have to build some pretty amazing new protocol for streaming in order to do more than 1 controller. They may open up some of the streaming for maybe 2 devices but the experience would probably be seriously toned down.

Same room use suprises me. While I understand those saying its meant for one-room social use, there WILL be people buying this assuming it has more range than that and that they can take it to their bedroom to play a bit. Also surprised at the lack of multitouch

One tablet controller per system HAS to be a mistake though.

SpecX

I'm super confused about what this thing is. Is it a new console or just an extension to the Wii? Will it have games created just for it making it its own console or what? If Nintendo doesn't quickly clear up this confusion then the casual consumer won't know what the hell they are buying, what they will need, and this could end of a failed attempt for Nintendo.

antonz

Cels said:
Are all new Wii U games going to be natively 1080P?
I imagine Nintendo will likely be aiming for 1080P every game while 3rd parties will do what they can make look the sexiest. At this point 720p 60 FPS would be pretty awesome considering we dont even get that in COD etc this gen of consoles.

MvmntInGrn said:
Same room use suprises me. While I understand those saying its meant for one-room social use, there WILL be people buying this assuming it has more range than that and that they can take it to their bedroom to play a bit. Also surprised at the lack of multitouch

One tablet controller per system HAS to be a mistake though.

Maybe it's a limitation of where the console is at now, and not what's planned for release.

Tron 2.0

SpecX said:
I'm super confused about what this thing is. Is it a new console or just an extension to the Wii? Will it have games created just for it making it its own console or what? If Nintendo doesn't quickly clear up this confusion then the casual consumer won't know what the hell they are buying, what they will need, and this could end of a failed attempt for Nintendo.
It's a new console.

But I agree 100% that they have so far done a terrible job of differentiating it.

SpecX said:

Kad5 said:
I'm sorry but there must be a stupid virus going around on gaf today.

I'm getting tired of explaining to people that THIS is a NEW CONSOLE and that the system is actually decently powerful.

My fucking god people.

RPGCrazied

Sucks about not being able to upscale Wii games. But since the system uses HDMI, with my TV at least, I can force 16x9 on games that don't fill my screen. Screen zoom won't work with composite for some reason.

JGS

Banned
A link regarding one controller (no way it's true in any event) would be nice. I'm going to ignore that gripe otherwise.

The same room thing is not surprising. It's not a portable. It's seems similar to the Wiimote.
Vagabundo said:
Wow. If GAFers are having problems understanding how this thing work I dispair for the general populous.
Fortunately the general public can see it for what it is - a more powerful console which includes a controller with a screen on it.

_bla_

Looking at Power7 specs and die photos, I believe this will be a dual core power7. Regular Power7 is a 8 core 567 mm^2 die. About 2.5 times bigger than Cell at launch. Even a 4 core Power7 would still be bigger than 90nm. They could likely remove or exchange some execution units, make caches smaller, but even with these modification this would still be an expensive chip. So dual core seems most likely. Should still be between 100 and 150 mm^2. And a Power7 dual core should still be a lot faster than Xenon.

likeGdid said:
The limit of 1 WiiU Controller per system looks to me like Nintendo's putting less emphasis on local multiplayer. Well, at the very least the type of multiplayer games that would require everyone to have a WiiU controller (as opposed to WiiU Controller + Wiimotes + etc type games)

The only way this would make sense would be if they're stepping up their online system. Online, there's the expectation everyone would have their own WiiU controller.

Very disappointing, but I wonder if it was expecting too much for a console to be able to stream to 4 different controllers at once.

Unless... everyone brings their own WiiU console and they all connect wirelessly! An impractical solution to have 4 WiiU controllers.
I think this actually makes sense except I'm almost sure that they would rather have link cables so that you can daisy-chain your consoles together.

You probably don't need to have any of the guest consoles hooked up to a television although there's no reason your guests couldn't also bring their own TVs.

Cels

antonz said:
I imagine Nintendo will likely be aiming for 1080P while 3rd parties will do what they can make look the sexiest. At this point 720p 60 FPS would be pretty awesome considering we dont even get that in COD etc this gen of consoles

I mean we will soon be 5 years out from PS3 and 6 years out from 360. There are plenty of graphically impressive games on both of those consoles that run at 720p w/good framerate and good level of details (Uncharted 2, God of War 3, Gears of War 2, Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2 etc)

wait, so you can only use the controller in the same room as the console?

I don't think that's true...if it's wireless communication it should have a range equal to any other wireless router, right?

ksamedi

AceBandage said:
Wiimote+CC=$60 That's pretty inline with other controllers.

You're still limiting options here. The classic controller doesn't support motion control so many games that use both motions and dual analogs will be limited to a single player experience.

SpecX said:

I hate casual readers.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'll be seriously surprised if Nintendo doesn't release a native WiiU "classic" controller - probably rebranded - that has wireless built in and doesn't use a Wiimote as dongle.

They have to account for the scenario of WiiU owners who don't have Wii games and have zero need of a Wii Remote.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
TekkenMaster said:
wait, so you can only use the controller in the same room as the console?

Maybe, but Nintendo always plays it safe with these sorts of estimates. They said the Wavebird only had a range of a few metres but you could walk down the street and it would still work. We'll just have to see.

Trurl

Banned
I don't see a whole lot of a point to the new controller online. Sure, having a touch screen would be nice, but hardly revolutionary. This could have been revolutionary for local multiplayer.

I'm sure there will be some fun local multiplayer options with just one new controller, but for a "deep" experience more are needed.

Batongen

Banned
Well, here's my extrapolated view of it. Forget about the rumours when the controller and the system was "announced" a few months ago, because this is, if you would believe it or not, really the Wii HD. We should instead look back at what was said about the system and rumours from long ago, like how John Davidson and, to a lesser extent, Michael Pachter called it a looong time ago. Let me give you a quote from mr Davidson anno 2008:

Davison admits details are sketchy but says his sources are pointing towards "a greater emphasis on digitally distributed and backwardly compatible content". Nintendo will once again focus on innovating the console's controller.
http://playsquad.commongate.com/post/Wii_HD_Set_for_2011/

So what's the controller, is it unique? Well in my mind they are at least showing us what was rumoured, a Wii HD. The controller is there to somewhat extend the life of the system and make sure that developers can use the Wii controller in future HD games.

The play of words, Wii (We) and U (You) is obviously trying to setup their strategy that the tablet controller is mostly used for single player and for the wii controller and it's extensions to live on when playing multi. Sure, I am not saying it is NOT disappointing that it looks like only one player will be supported with the new controller and probably miss out on some multi gameplay functionality, but will we cry if we play an FPS with a classical controller? Probably not.

So in reality, Nintendo is really giving us what we wanted all along, Nintendo games in HD.
Is it in latest, state of the art HD? Nope not really, but the fact that they might be able to evolutionize their Wii platform with a new control scheme, at the right price, might be enough for now. At least until Sony and Microsoft release their new console. Until then, anything in the marketplace can happen.

Trurl said:
I don't see a whole lot of a point to the new controller online. Sure, having a touch screen would be nice, but hardly revolutionary. This could have been revolutionary for local multiplayer.

I'm sure there will be some fun local multiplayer options with just one new controller, but for a "deep" experience more are needed.

I'm assuming you're ignoring the fact that the controller features all the buttons of a normal controller, the system is stronger than teh PS3/360 and that EA is helping them with online, right?

Vinci

Danish
jonremedy said:
Jesus Fucking Christ. People would rather post inane drivel on GAF rather than actually reading about the console?

Didn't you hear? PS4 and 720 will come out, so who gives a shit?

EDIT: Folks, seriously, if you have not watched the conference or read a summary of it, please go do so now. Because it's clear when someone hasn't even researched the slightest thing about what they showed and spoke about.

Zombie James said:
It's kind of funny that Ken Levine talked about being able to play a game in bed without disturbing his wife, turns out he won't be able to do that unless he has the system in his bedroom
or sleeps in his living room.
Obviously the system would be in his bedroom. It wouldn't be disturbing his wife if it was in another room.

dock

6.jpg

This does seem to be the limit for controllers.
(I tried to point this out, but my thread was closed :/ )

Losing out on gamecube controller support is a bit disappointing, but there weren't many games that made use of the eight player local option. No bongos!

Guevara

It's going to be really easy to bring this to a friend's house! No harder than bringing a DSXL really, though I have no idea how to connect it to a TV? Guess you just bring the cord (and a power cable?). Hope you don't trip over the cables LOL.

iceatcs said:
Ouch on own proprietary format. I hope it won't get bad luck like GC or DC.

It has nothing to do with bad luck. The only reason the GC suffered was because it's format was too small, only 1.5GB compared to the full size 4.7GB DVD's of its competitors. If this console really has enough storage space, then the fact that it's proprietary won't matter.

Guevara said:
It's going to be really easy to bring this to a friend's house! No harder than bringing a DSXL really, though I have no idea how to connect it to a TV? Guess you just bring the cord (and a power cable?). Hope you don't trip over the cables LOL.
What are you smoking?

Guevara said:

You can't be serious...

likeGdid

Lance Bone Path said:
I think this actually makes sense except I'm almost sure that they would rather have link cables so that you can daisy-chain your consoles together.

You probably don't need to have any of the guest consoles hooked up to a television although there's no reason your guests couldn't also bring their own TVs.

This is something I've always wanted to see to have >4 player local multiplayer.

If I remember correctly, when they were demonstrating Mario Strikers Wii they actually had 2 Wiis connected for multiplayer. Only instance of multi-console connectivity I've seen.

iceatcs

Tron 2.0 said:
The Wii discs are a proprietary format.
I thought it was DVD format.

brochiller said:
It has nothing to do with bad luck. The only reason the GC suffered was because it's format was too small, only 1.5GB compared to the full size 4.7GB DVD's of its competitors. If this console really has enough storage space, then the fact that it's proprietary won't matter.
Nothing to do the tech bad luck. Just superstition.

Top Bottom