• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U exploit revealed

Baleoce

For some reason this reminded me of the week the Wii U came out, and someone managed to accidentally enter debug mode with "admin" access showing an unannounced game or something xD

Robin64

Emulation is all I want from this after Nintendo dropped the ball and still give us their best games at 50hz here.

Zomba13

region free? for what games?

The real triumph is that when sakurai fails at smash 4 there might be chance for it to be fixed.

heh heh

EDIT: Beaten

lol this.
I was all "ooooh this'll lead to region free!" but then I was a all "Wait... region free to play what games?".

Then I was all :(

Tagg9

The potential for homebrew is pretty big with the Wii U gamepad. Unfortunately, the homebrew scene is unlikely to rival the Wii (as there simply aren't enough units out there).

Shengar

Of course. Piracy is the reason PSP sold as well as it did.

And it's also the reason why PSP have extremely low attach rate, subpar support on west, and an early death despite strong lineup from Japan, even on 2011. 99% of people will use this to pirate and only 1% like Gaf that bother to import legitimate copy from other region to use reg free hack.

Of course. Piracy is the reason PSP sold as well as it did.

ps2 as well, problem is , nintendo doesnt make a profit out of the hardware .

Anyway, seeing this, shows nintendo that the wii u doesnt deserve more games , not like there was going to be any new game announcements for the platform outside of zelda anyway.

Even the yoshi and the fire emblem x smt game may have been canceled already .

Asiriya

Neo Member
Mario Kart trackpacks; would it be possible to do something with Pikmin? Would love to make new maps and stuff.

Goddard

The beginning to opening the doors on Wii U for homebrew. Which also means the potentiality of making it region free, and also piratable..that last bit is always a sad end to these sorts of efforts.

The pontential for piracy is not a sad thing. On a fundamental scale the ability to pirate is an amazing thing to have on a platform. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating piracy, and I'm not saying piracy is a good thing, but on a fundamental scale the ability to pirate stems from complete freedom to do what you want with your hardware, which is an amazing thing to have and should always be appreciated. Obviously there is always going to be someone who abuses the potential for homebrew, but the reason it is possible is a good thing to me.

half-life-3-its-not-happening.gif

My god this gif is horrifying.

I'm always curios what people are able to do with the homebrews.

Jackano

People who aren't into piracy (or Wii/U piracy I should say) are in it for things like

- game mods of which there are plenty available on the Wii... track packs for Mario Kart, new characters/skins/moves/rebalancing for Smash, etc.
- emularion
- bruteforcing more multimedia functionality

- and I don't know how I overlooked region unlocking

I'm with everyone for ending region locking but the three others are wrong.
Games modding is so-so, I understand some people like it but the fact remains, it's not really legal due to copyrights things, and add that DLC changed things too. I heard about those New Super Mario Bros Wii packs, but we got the Luigi DLC.
Emulation is entierely piracy.
And multimedia idk what you mean with bruteforcing but atm I think this could be something an app could do.
Oh and fixing SSB jokes? Patches also exists on Wii U now, on the contratry of Brawl on Wii.

So to me those lists still havn't added one good reason outside region locking.

Mlatador

Banned
Fuck this shit. I hope Nintendo finds a way to still keep hackers out. On the Wii, similar hacks enabled some good features, but unfortunately also piracy. However, the most annyoing thing that came out of this - and I hope this won't be a problem on the Wii U - were the fucking cheaters in online games. Mario Kart Wii was full of them - and even Conduit 2 - a game that wasn't even that popular had the occacional cheaters online...

Firehead

GAF usually frowns upon claiming no one uses homebrew and homebrew = piracy, by the way.

Just a forewarning to everyone that's about to claim this is only good for piracy and the only reason people will be doing it.

Should probably put a warning or something in the topic, OP. Thread might get a bit ugly. :/

Edit:

I wonder if this might lead to the possibility to play blurays on the Wii U? Hopefully it won't be as hacky as playing DVDs on the Wii is.

Ridley327

Region-free would be nice, but given the library situation on the Wii U, there's very, very few games that haven't already been localized.

rjc571

Banned
For all the people who "look forward to homebrew":
What do you expect exactly from homebrew?

Because things has changed since the Wii. Homebrew games and apps are now entierely doable with Nintendo's indie program (Unity + HTML5/javascript Nintendo Web Framework).
Outside some UI and region lock related things, it sounds like piracy hypocrysis.

Using the gamepad to play Wii and Gamecube games without needing a separate controller.

TunaLover

Marcan replied lol

Marcan said:
Sigh, I help someone out on IRC (to replicate what we did 8 days after launch without help -oh, look, turns out we weren't lying and our SHA1 was real!- and which we detailed in the talk two months ago) and my name gets put next to harryoke's and bubba's.

I don't know if MarioNum1 was with those two clowns all along, or if they're just latching along for the ride, but this kind of aggrandizing scene nonsense bullshit turns me off of helping anyone else out.

If this is the way every stupid little step towards homebrew is going to be announced, I don't want to have anything to do with it. Unless the clowns positively fuck off and let the people who care work (so far Maxternal and MarioNum1 as far as I can tell), I don't want to have the slightest bit to do with this.

</rant>

Foffy

Banned
The pontential for piracy is not a sad thing. On a fundamental scale the ability to pirate is an amazing thing to have on a platform. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating piracy, and I'm not saying piracy is a good thing, but on a fundamental scale the ability to pirate stems from complete freedom to do what you want with your hardware, which is an amazing thing to have and should always be appreciated. Obviously there is always going to be someone who abuses the potential for homebrew, but the reason it is possible is a good thing to me.

I don't disagree with you, all I am really getting at is that opening the door for the consumer to do what they want is great. Problem is, by opening that door, they can also do things that aren't great. I suppose this is a problem of freedom, of full choice, and many lean to leaving it locked up no matter what, even if that can become another issue entirely.

Region-free isn't important for just Japan-only games. Some of us would rather play in Japanese (XB had dual-language, but who knows if they will do the same with X) and not wait a year+ for localization. Same applies for people in Europe who have to wait years for games like SMTIV.

I had another post in this thread citing SMT IV and why region locking is shit. It's just that, to me, you seemed to be upset at X because you have the feeling it won't come out everywhere, sort of like what nearly happened to Xenoblade.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member

Because things has changed since the Wii. Homebrew games and apps are now entierely doable with Nintendo's indie program (Unity + HTML5/javascript Nintendo Web Framework).
Outside some UI and region lock related things, it sounds like piracy hypocrysis.
Smash 4 mods (just look at where Brawl modding has reached) and emulators on the Gamepad (primarily for games that have no chance in hell of seeing a VC release, like NHL 94, licensed games or ROM hacks, and hopes of seeing a fully-functional PS1 emulator on a console).

Exokell

Banned
region free for what game? does wii u have games in japan that hasnt been released in west... I understand europe though

Foffy

Banned
region free for what game? does wii u have games in japan that hasnt been released in west... I understand europe though

Think more of the potential future, not the present. Right now, there is no issue, and that's really due to how bad Wii U is doing. Hahaha.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Fuck this shit. I hope Nintendo finds a way to still keep hackers out. On the Wii, similar hacks enabled some good features, but unfortunately also piracy. However, the most annyoing thing that came out of this - and I hope this won't be a problem on the Wii U - were the fucking cheaters in online games. Mario Kart Wii was full of them - and even Conduit 2 - a game that wasn't even that popular had the occacional cheaters online...
To be fair though, cheaters are less of a problem in general when devs/pubs actually give a shit about post-launch support of even online community maintenance. Treating games as services is something that has damn near become standard since Halo 3 and Minecraft came out, but Nintendo is still beta testing this idea in different pockets of their lineup while keeping it absent in their biggest titles.

Games modding is so-so, I understand some people like it but the fact remains, it's not really legal due to copyrights things, and add that DLC changed things too. I heard about those New Super Mario Bros Wii packs, but we got the Luigi DLC.
Emulation is entierely piracy.
And multimedia idk what you mean with bruteforcing but atm I think this could be something an app could do.
Oh and fixing SSB jokes? Patches also exists on Wii U now, on the contratry of Brawl on Wii.

So to me those lists still havn't added one good reason outside region locking.

Just because you don't see them as good reasons doesn't mean they aren't good reasons.

1) Game modding - nobody gives a shit that it's illegal. Particularly Nintendo, who hasn't reacted in any capacity to some of the major and fantastic full-game mods out there. Like Project M (which in and of itself helped to jumpstart a lot of Smash developments, including but not limited to tons of renewed awareness in the older titles and participation in competitive and casual scenes) and Newer/Another SMBW.

I suggest you look up Project M and know what it is before you handwave game modding away entirely like it's irrelevant. 'Patches' are not the same as this.

2) Whatever, I kind of acknowledged that

3) As in the Wii could be made to play back video and music files, stream, and play DVDs. Functionality that apps could theoretically allow for but never did

To be honest, I just would want the Wii U to be moddable to make editors for games like 3d World since just looks like it uses the 3d models as template pieces, so we could make our own levels in the future, same goes for NSBMU.

Same can be said with Smash Brothers comes out. I only care for the modding side of things. Usually other homebrew stuff is linked with that. Or you get emulators or little apps like we did on the Wii. And of course always comes piracy sometime.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Wild dream: Streaming a Steam Machine to the WiiU gamepad. (Of course the res is only 480p, but hey!)

Platy

Movie player on the gamepad ... hmmm ..

edit :

Media player, more options for drawing apps (Colors!3D started as a DS homebrew), animation homebrew (since Nintendo don't give a shit to Flipnote and the gamepad is better to draw), RetroArch, New controller setups and "gameshark" like things (like Ocarina on Wii)....

To be fair though, cheaters are less of a problem in general when devs/pubs actually give a shit about post-launch support of even online community maintenance. Treating games as services is something that has damn near become standard since Halo 3 and Minecraft came out, but Nintendo is still beta testing this idea in different pockets of their lineup while keeping it absent in their biggest titles.

Even Nintendo fixed shit in Mario Kart 7
I'm not keeping my hopes up though

my thoughts exactly. Now I know that if Sakurai screws up again there will be someone who will make a better game.

You mean reiterate on a strong foundation of someone else's creation as a reaction to an outcry of unhappiness from dedicated fans. And I mean that's great, they worked hard at it for several years and ended up with something quite faithful to both sets of source material (and I fucking love it), but they didn't make a game. They made a mod to a game to make it play like it's predecessor. It's probably the best and most complex mod of its sort out there period but yeah

Regiruler

Blegh. There goes the lockdown.

Full restrict keeps everything clean and fair as well as keeping piracy under a check, the small bits of creativity are a minuscule cost for that.

Top Bottom