• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U exploit revealed

This exploit won't enable piracy.

EDIT: To quote Marcan:

Thanks for the heads up.
I really love my Wii U and really don't want it homebrew-enabled.
Homebrew leads to piracy and cheating and we had enough bof both on the Wii. Made Mario Kart unplayable online.

Yes, it sucks that we won't get a region-free Wii U with this but I'd rather take region-locking over cheating bastards who can't acknowledge that they simply suck at the game.

Meh. If it makes the thing useful beyond being a platinum Machine, im all for it. Personally Id like to backup my games to run off a Fast SD card.

Even if it could open the gates to piracy, it doesnt matter. The WiiU is a lost cause. This is not the same situation as the PSP. The console isnt going to be success regardless.

FyreWulff

Maybe piracy will spark some interest. Didn´t hurt the PS1 and Wii.

Do you work for organized crime? Because that's pretty much the only reason why someone would offer this up as a serious post.

Piracy hurt the ability to sell software later in both consoles lifespans.

wsippel

Banned
Thanks for the heads up.
I really love my Wii U and really don't want it homebrew-enabled.
Homebrew leads to piracy and cheating and we had enough bof both on the Wii. Made Mario Kart unplayable online.

Yes, it sucks that we won't get a region-free Wii U with this but I'd rather take region-locking over cheating bastards who can't acknowledge that they simply suck at the game.
It's apparently not hard to get homebrew running on Wii U, but piracy is reportedly a very different issue. You can only get full hardware access through Wii mode, but then the crypto subsystem is disabled and the Wii U OS is purged from memory. With the DRM disabled, you can't load the OS, and without the OS, no game would be able to run.

tipoo

Banned
Interesting stuff. I loved homebrew on the Wii, looking forward to seeing what people can do with the Wii U. Is the drive the same as the Wii's? As far as I know, and I may be very wrong in remembering, the Wii's drive did not use constant velocity which made it unsuitable for dvd discs. I don't know if the Wii U's one is different.

But they did get DVDs working decently on the Wii, can't see why the faster drive in the U would be worse. They may have used buffers to get around lack of constant velocity.

Anywho, I'm in the camp hoping this goes ahead. The lecture Fail0verflow did on the Wii U was interesting, unlike the Wii it uses a full Linux OS, so there's lots of room for customizing it, ie if someone were to make a Wii U OS based distro with lower RAM use or something.

I'd be interested in removing region locking with a homebrew, and being able to use that SD card slot in Wii U mode (and removing the limitations on storage in Wii mode)

Top Bottom