• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Wii U exploit revealed

GulAtiCa

I hope this is eventually blocked...

I know people here are all "yay region free, homebrew!" but, as a Wii U indie dev, who plans to support the console with at least several games (depending on how long Wii U lasts). I'd hate for the pirate community to make it easy to download and pirate any of my eShop games or other eShop games... I know others in the development community shares my concern.

Btw: If homebrew truly becomes a possibility, do people really expect much other than emulation?

Anth0ny

From the sounds of the last Nintendo Direct, it seems like X will be coming in Japan in 2014, and 2015 in North America.

I wanna play that shit this year, Japanese or otherwise. Come on region free.

Blizzard

Banned
Blegh. There goes the lockdown.

Full restrict keeps everything clean and fair as well as keeping piracy under a check, the small bits of creativity are a minuscule cost for that.

I hope this is eventually blocked...

I know people here are all "yay region free, homebrew!" but, as a Wii U indie dev, who plans to support the console with at least several games (depending on how long Wii U lasts). I'd hate for the pirate community to make it easy to download and pirate any of my eShop games or other eShop games... I know others in the development community shares my concern.

Btw: If homebrew truly becomes a possibility, do people really expect much other than emulation?

Speaking as another Wii U developer, I also agree that the risks of this outweight the benefits. Since the userbase of Wii U is presumably so small and its success is presumably so low, it actually had an unsaturated, apparently pirate-free market for eShop games.

Even if homebrew is a benefit, I would rather it not exist on the Wii U than either of the following:
1. Nintendo's small but growing independent developer market becomes avoided (whether rationally or not -- even a stigma could hurt it) due to piracy
2. Smash Brothers, a game I have been looking forward to forever, becomes easier to cheat at. Is there cheating online in Brawl? Yes, maybe Nintendo can do some things to fix this with post-release patches, but I don't have local friends to play Smash and having people messing around with cheats right after release would be a sad day, since presumably the Wii U hacks will be finished by release.

jimi_dini

The pontential for piracy is not a sad thing. On a fundamental scale the ability to pirate is an amazing thing to have on a platform. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating piracy, and I'm not saying piracy is a good thing, but on a fundamental scale the ability to pirate stems from complete freedom to do what you want with your hardware

The potential for piracy does not automatically equal full access to the hardware.

I hope that I remember this correctly: it's possible to pirate on 360, but it's not possible to run unsigned code. Which I consider to be a very bad thing. And for Wii U, it may be the push over the ledge.

Oh yes and...
1. Nintendo's small but growing independent developer market becomes avoided (whether rationally or not -- even a stigma could hurt it) due to piracy
2. Smash Brothers, a game I have been looking forward to forever, becomes easier to cheat at.

this

I don't want to have cheaters driving around in my Mario Kart U. And I also don't want to get my Wii U ruined by asshole pirates.

GulAtiCa

Yeah, this is what I'm also afraid of. That people will start to avoid us actual indie developers who are actually supporting the system. Or worse, actually pirate our games.

And it's also the reason why PSP have extremely low attach rate, subpar support on west, and an early death despite strong lineup from Japan, even on 2011. 99% of people will use this to pirate and only 1% like Gaf that bother to import legitimate copy from other region to use reg free hack.
To be fair, if Japanese prices weren't so bad even before import costs, piracy wouldn't be such an appealing option. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit backlash against Japan's "well, we'd rather make no money from the west" business strategy fueling/justifying piracy for some people.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I don't expect anything, but I hope it will allow:
- Region free gameplay (used this on my Wii; imported Disaster and Another Code: R, although admittedly the Wii U has essentially no overseas software support so there's not much value here short-term. I'd much rather this for 3DS.)
- Modifications for games (Wii has a vibrant mod scene for NSMB Wii and Brawl, among other games, to say nothing of prominent translation patch efforts for Fatal Frame 4 and countless games on other platforms)
- Cheat codes (used this this week to play Donkey Kong Country Returns without the terrible motion controls)
- Decrypting and dumping data from games (IE getting models and assets out of games to be able to remix and use them elsewhere; looking at script files, finding deleted modes and levels, reverse engineering things happening in games)
- Media support (I use XBMC on my AppleTV2--itself hacked to allow XBMC to run--but it'd be really interesting to see it implemented on Wii U both with the gamepad and because the Wii U is more powerful than the ATV2 and I already own one. Alternate devices like Roku, Raspberry Pi, Android sticks, etc are not notably more powerful than ATV2 and boxes that are are typically larger form factor than the Wii U or more expensive or the same price and don't play Wii U games. Physical media playback would also be useful as my 60GB PS3 is very very very very very loud and it's my only TV-accessible blu-ray player).
- Emulation (used this on Wii to inject Virtual Console ROMs of several games that I own on cart but that were never added to the catalogue.)

This is what I hope will allow.

I just want Wii mode on my Wii U to be region free so I can play Fishing Resort :(

You can already do this today. Wii homebrew has worked on Wii U for a long time.

Platy

- Region free gameplay (used this on my Wii; imported Disaster and Another Code: R, although admittedly the Wii U has essentially no overseas software support so there's not much value here short-term. I'd much rather this for 3DS.)
- Modifications for games (Wii has a vibrant mod scene for NSMB Wii and Brawl, among other games, to say nothing of prominent translation patch efforts for Fatal Frame 4 and countless games on other platforms)
- Cheat codes (used this this week to play Donkey Kong Country Returns without the terrible motion controls)
- Decrypting and dumping data from games (IE getting models and assets out of games to be able to remix and use them elsewhere; looking at script files, finding deleted modes and levels, reverse engineering things happening in games)
- Media support (I use XBMC on my AppleTV2--itself hacked to allow XBMC to run--but it'd be really interesting to see it implemented on Wii U both with the gamepad and because the Wii U is more powerful than the ATV2 and I already own one. Alternate devices like Roku, Raspberry Pi, Android sticks, etc are not notably more powerful than ATV2 and boxes that are are typically larger form factor than the Wii U or more expensive or the same price and don't play Wii U games. Physical media playback would also be useful as my 60GB PS3 is very very very very very loud and it's my only TV-accessible blu-ray player).
- Emulation (used this on Wii to inject Virtual Console ROMs of several games that I own on cart but that were never added to the catalogue.)

Don't forget the fact that the WiiU gamepad is pretty much the only big tablet like device without multitouch, which means that it is pretty much the only tablet like device that acepts a GOOD stylus, which is MUCH better for drawing than your finger !

Blizzard

Banned
As you and other(s) have pointed out, there may not be much overseas software so this is perhaps not a major benefit compared to the downsides.

While I agree that the motion controls in DKCR were sadly terrible, I think it would be difficult to allow cheats for offline games, yet prevent them in online games. Personally I would prefer no cheats than have the possibility of online, if given the choice.

I'm not sure if you're U.S.-based, but isn't this sort of thing illegal from a DMCA and/or copyright perspective? Using models literally ripped from one game in another game, for example? Or does that fall under some sort of parody license?

Didn't the Wii have problems with using it as a DVD player, since the drive hardware was only chosen for game use and not for the usage pattern and duration of a dedicated DVD player? It might work short-term if people are okay with the risk, sure. Or to put it another way, why didn't Nintendo already allow Blu-ray playback? Purely ignorance? I personally suspect legal or technical issues but of course I may be wrong.

Again this may be a U.S.-specific question, but has there ever been a ruling on whether it is legal to use a ROM for a game that I own, but did not rip myself? Or would I be required to rip (for example) gameboy or SNES ROMs?

I think I have made my opinions clear though I am probably in the minority, and obviously I am biased as a Wii U developer. I also want to point out from the homebrew perspective, the independent developer program was or is extremely easy to get into, as several people on GAF can attest to, so at least there has been an option for people who want to make their own games for it.

FyreWulff

Didn't the Wii have problems with using it as a DVD player, since the drive hardware was only chosen for game use and not for the usage pattern and duration of a dedicated DVD player? It might work short-term if people are okay with the risk, sure. Or to put it another way, why didn't Nintendo already allow Blu-ray playback? Purely ignorance? I personally suspect legal or technical issues but of course I may be wrong.

Allowing Blu Ray playback requires paying a noticeable amount of a fee, and you have to implement a number of base features to be Blu Ray compatible.

EmiPrime

As you and other(s) have pointed out, there may not be much overseas software so this is perhaps not a major benefit compared to the downsides.

All it takes is one game to justify it. For those who want to play Taiko or DQ10 the justification is already there.

Or to put it another way, why didn't Nintendo already allow Blu-ray playback? Purely ignorance? I personally suspect legal or technical issues but of course I may be wrong.

Presumably because they didn't want to pay the BD licensing fees.

Again this may be a U.S.-specific question, but has there ever been a ruling on whether it is legal to use a ROM for a game that I own, but did not rip myself? Or would I be required to rip (for example) gameboy or SNES ROMs?

I think it's morally okay by any reasonable person's standards if it's for personal use. I wouldn't worry about the legality.

Taker666

This is a good thing for Wii U owners, no doubt about it.

It's an awful thing for Wii U owners who actually care about future software support.
Even less reasons for devs to make Wii U games.
Ruined online play in Mario Kart etc due to cheats.

It does far more harm than good...especially at this time in its life. Open the machine up to piracy now and the chances of any recovery in software support are completely done.

chronosic

Maybe somebody will fix the broken Wii mode on the gamepad. You should be able to use the gamepads controls on Wii games that allow it. What an oversight.

Anth0ny

It's an awful thing for Wii U owners who actually care about future software support.
Even less reasons for devs to make Wii U games.
Ruined online play in Mario Kart etc due to cheats.

It does far more harm than good...especially at this time in its life. Open the machine up to piracy now and the chances of any recovery in software support are completely done.

It's already done. It's at 0. Piracy isn't going to do shit. The thing is doomed to sell 15 million units even without piracy.

Jack_AG

Banned
You would remeber the fail0verfl0w guys that were the first one in hack the Wii U, however they never would share this in public because for them there is no real interest in Wii U hombrew scene (example create a secure homebrew enviorement and prevent piracy).

Time has passed and from nowhere guys from Wii U Hax found an exploit to access to Wii U hardware, even more they were able to dump the file "bootrom.bin" which is the first file the system access to boot.

WaO9TGu.jpg

More interesting the hashes match the ones published by team fail0verfl0w

According to Marionumber1 (one of the members, or testers?) the exploit works in Wii mode, from there you get access to Wii U hardware, not sure if it's full access though. It seems bootrom works the same way as boot0 in Wii, it can't be patched by Nintendo through updates, the only way they can fix it is hardcoding the hadware itself (new Wii U model)
http://wiiuhax.com/wii-u-bootrom-dumped-welcome-to-the-scene/

iQ3hLiYC3si7r.gif

Indies are supporting it well going forward. I'd like to them at least paid for the content they supply.

Well then it's in Nintendo best interest to fix this.

Or how about not make their future systems region lock? Nintendo should give pirates less reasons to cracked their system other than lack of games.

Taker666

Well then it's in Nintendo best interest to fix this.

Or how about not make their future systems region lock? Give pirates less reasons to cracked your system other than lack of games.

Yeah....because region free kept the hackers and pirates away from the DS didn't it? The mass piracy on that was likely the very reason they started to region lock handheld retail software in the first place.

I just want to be able to get into a debug menu, play with the wifi antenna in the gamepad so I can finally play off-screen games in my bedroom :( *AS ADVERTISED*

GulAtiCa

It's already done. It's at 0. Piracy isn't going to do shit. The thing is doomed to sell 15 million units even without piracy.

What future software support?

I love my Wii U but its software support has more in common with the Virtual Boy than it does the Dreamcast.

From us indies perhaps? You have several members here who are indie devs that are supporting the Wii U fully. Heck, my first Wii U game will likely be launched next month. I know we are basically nobodys, esp me as I'm just about to release my 1st game ever. But we are literally going to be the only ones supporting it on a regular basis soon. And there is a lot of us currently making games for it (And I do mean a lot, I know of several behind the scene). Do you really want for us to go away?

Crayons

Banned

You can already do this today. Wii homebrew has worked on Wii U for a long time.
Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I experimented with homebrew a few years back and imported a stage from Zach & Wiki into Brawl Unfortunately I wasn't skilled enough in GIMP at the time to find out how to change the lighting and make the stage more visible, but I'd love to give it another shot on the Wii U, maybe import some stuff from TW101 into Smash U. User customization is amazing and one of the reasons why I could play NSMB Wii all day and not get bored of it.

From us indies perhaps? You have several members here who are indie devs that are supporting the Wii U fully. Heck, my first Wii U game will likely be launched next month. I know we are basically nobodys, esp me as I'm just about to release my 1st game ever. But we are literally going to be the only ones supporting it on a regular basis soon. And there is a lot of us currently making games for it (And I do mean a lot, I know of several behind the scene). Do you really want for us to go away?

i feel for you, but the average consumer wants more from a nintendo console than indie games , anyway, i hope you find success on the platform ,

Taker666

I think some people would like Wii U to have no support at all sadly... some would seem to relish the prospect.

Still..if piracy does start ..please feel free to create and release a corrupted version of your game into the wild..that'll brick any system that tries to play it.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
For all the people who "look forward to homebrew":
What do you expect exactly from homebrew?

Because things has changed since the Wii. Homebrew games and apps are now entierely doable with Nintendo's indie program (Unity + HTML5/javascript Nintendo Web Framework).
Outside some UI and region lock related things, it sounds like piracy hypocrysis.

Emulation my friend. Anyways where the 3DS exploits at. Gateway is trash.

Top Bottom