• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
$6 a lb for chicken is all they have at the store. I probably spent about 150 on food last month, and gained like 8 lbs. I've already said that I don't give a fuck about how things taste.
Where do you live that doesnt have a walmart with frozen chicken breasts?

American food is so cheap. I pay like 3 euros for 250 gram of chicken, and not even the organic variant. That easily goes up to 6-8 euros for 300 gram or something ridiculous. Im single and probably spend 300 euros a month on food. :lol
Yup, same story for me in the UK. Though I do only buy free range chicken.

Still, at least 90% of our beef is grass fed by default, although priced accordingly.

deadbeef

I think I read that free range chickens are farmed just like normal, except they let them run outside in an open area for a fixed amount of time per day. Not sure how that is nutritionally any better, but perhaps slightly more kind to the animal

Not sure how that is nutritionally any better, but perhaps slightly more kind to the animal
Arguably higher protein (more muscle), but the point for most people who choose it is for the welfare of the animal.

I've always found they taste a little better, but I suspect that's got to do with the supplier being more careful with quality control as they sell for a fair amount more.

crpav

It's hard enough to stick to a strict diet without craving to temptations. Now when someone wants to try and eat better by adding or consuming more chicken, the quality of the chicken breast selected has to be questioned? Who cares, chicken is chicken for the most part. As long as it's chicken breast and not a deep fried chicken sandwich from a fast food place let them be. If you want to be selective about the chicken you purchase than by all means go for it but leave the arguments about free range chickens, steroid raised chickens and all other similar debates out.

It's hard enough to stick to a strict diet without craving to temptations. Now when someone wants to try and eat better by adding or consuming more chicken, the quality of the chicken breast selected has to be questioned? Who cares, chicken is chicken for the most part. As long as it's chicken breast and not a deep fried chicken sandwich from a fast food place let them be. If you want to be selective about the chicken you purchase than by all means go for it but leave the arguments about free range chickens, steroid raised chickens and all other similar debates out.
But if you are sticking to a diet it is important what kind of food you eat, including how the meat is raised. If thats enough to distract you from your diet then welp, good luck sticking to any diet or training regime.

Also, might i suggest not replying to posts you don't find interesting instead of bitching about it?

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Where do you live that doesnt have a walmart with frozen chicken breasts?

I've never seen a Walmart or even a larger nationwide chain grocery store since I lived here. Google maps says the closest Walmart is 8.5 miles and several bus transfers away. It wouldn't be the worst on bike and I could put stuff in a backpack and ride home but I royally fucked my bike up hitting a pothole and haven't had money to get it fixed/basically buy a new one. Being poor sucks, but it's temporary.

I'll look in my local store's freezer section for stuff though, I didn't even know they had meat that wasn't breaded or single serve hamburger patties aka unhealthy stuff or stuff that's overpriced for convenience. I did find canned salmon the other day though, which I didn't know existed. No clue how a can of that with 85g protein is 3 dollars when salmon from the deli is $18-20/lb, but I'll take it! That'll probably become one of my main sources of protein now.

It's hard enough to stick to a strict diet without craving to temptations.

Not for everyone. I happen to really like my diet, my only problem with it is the amount of time I have to spend cooking. That said, if I didn't spend all that time cooking then I would likely get very, very bored with what I was eating, extremely quickly.

@Timedog: Canned salmon and tuna is pure protein gold. I wish I liked it. :(

Enco

Not for everyone. I happen to really like my diet, my only problem with it is the amount of time I have to spend cooking. That said, if I didn't spend all that time cooking then I would likely get very, very bored with what I was eating, extremely quickly.

@Timedog: Canned salmon and tuna is pure protein gold. I wish I liked it. :(
Canned salmon is the most vile shit I have ever come across.

Tune on the other hand is brilliant. Just finished a can.

Petrie

Banned
For me the hardest thing isnt protein, its keeping my carbs low while cutting, because i cant stand veggies other than corn and carrots. Hard as shit.

Veezy

que?
I think I read that free range chickens are farmed just like normal, except they let them run outside in an open area for a fixed amount of time per day. Not sure how that is nutritionally any better, but perhaps slightly more kind to the animal

For me, it's about at least trying to be humane. I mean, they're getting slaughtered, might as well let them walk around a bit.

Same with the cows. Let them have grass before you chop them into delicious pieces for my tummy.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Humane, lol. If you want humane move out of whatever capitalist country you live in.

How about you do whatever you want to do and cut it with the self-righteous, smug attitude because another dude wants to eat different chicken than you (for ANY reason), since him eating different chicken than you does not affect you in any way?

Have any of you run a triathlon? I was looking at the Chicago one and I think itd be fun to just finish. I was thinking of preparing for the 2013 one.

For me the hardest thing isnt protein, its keeping my carbs low while cutting, because i cant stand veggies other than corn and carrots. Hard as shit.

Try making some casserole with your veggies and add some bread crumbs. Helps ALOT

Also, I have done three triathlons. Just finishing will be a task if your not fit, but they are addictive and fun!

Yeah, it's much harder though when you're trying to eat organic/grass-fed/etc. I don't do that personally, I get myself big bags of frozen tilapia and salmon from Walmart, but those paying $6+ a lb for chicken are obviously being picky. To each their own.

From Walmart? I have a friend who's not picky when it comes to buying cheap shit at Walmart, and even said the above mentions taste like shit.

Speaking of Walmart, if you can't afford to go to the circus, just drive to your local store and walk around for 15 minutes.

Also, I have done three triathlons. Just finishing will be a task if your not fit, but they are addictive and fun!

You sir, are a true athlete.

As for chicken, I can definately tell a difference in taste between say Fresh Market and the brand with the yellow and blue packaging that comes with three boness skinless chicken breast. As for Walmart chicken,I wouldn't touch that shit with a 10 meter caliprod.

NomarTyme

Canned salmon is the most vile shit I have ever come across.

Tune on the other hand is brilliant. Just finished a can.

Have to try canned sardines? Kings Oscar 2 layer bristling is a excellent food. good combo of Omega 3(the fish)/ Omega six Olive oil.

From Walmart? I have a friend who's not picky when it comes to buying cheap shit at Walmart, and even said the above mentions taste like shit.

Speaking of Walmart, if you can't afford to go to the circus, just drive to your local store and walk around for 15 minutes.

You sir, are a true athlete.
Yeah I go to walmart to get my beef. Good price for 5 pounds.

ugh... seafood. I was born in Maine and can't stand any of it.
Lucky bastard. I would be chowing down seafood everyday.

Mr.City

Since the topic has switch over to diet (somewhat), I would like to share my experiences with dieting, having lost 50 lbs and plan to lose another 35 lbs. For me, the craving to binge comes after a free meal or after several 3-5 days of no free meals. On RFL, I consume around 900-1000 cals daily, and I find the cravings come for junk food, like burgers, shakes, sweets, etc, and not an actual hunger for any food.

When these cravings come, I like to detach and observe them. They can be very telling. They seek pleasure and contentment for an overabundance of food and usually don't stop unless I stop them.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Ok, I have posted this before but because I'm excited and I think it can help others I will post it again. About 6 weeks ago I started squating twice a week. Tuesday is my heavy 5x5 day and Friday or Saturay is my lighter high rep day.

I have actually lost about 4 pounds since but my squat has been climbing. Always a positive thing to see. Below is where I was at before I started:

5x185
5x205
5x225
5x245
5x275

These are deep way below parrel squats BTW

My first high rep day I started at the below weights and I damn near had a heart attack.

15x175
12x190
10x205
8x225
6x245

I am currently at:

5x225 -15x185
5x245 -12x205
5x275 -10x225
5x295 -8x245
5x315 -6x285

I highly reccommend giving it a go.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ok, I have posted this before but because I'm excited and I think it can help others I will post it again. About 6 weeks ago I started squating twice a week. Tuesday is my heavy 5x5 day and Friday or Saturay is my lighter high rep day.

I have actually lost about 4 pounds since but my squat has been climbing. Always a positive thing to see. Below is where I was at before I started:

5x185
5x205
5x225
5x245
5x275

These are deep way below parrel squats BTW

My first high rep day I started at the below weights and I damn near had a heart attack.

15x175
12x190
10x205
8x225
6x245

I am currently at:

5x225 -15x185
5x245 -12x205
5x275 -10x225
5x295 -8x245
5x315 -6x285

I highly reccommend giving it a go.

Yeah, I love high rep squats. 5/3/1 allows for that nearly every week. I think I did 185x20 one week. I think after doing 360x10 I could probably do 315x20. I may try that one of these coming weeks.

Also, there is a squat centric 5/3/1 program wendler posted a while back, although I can't find it now. Good numbers BTW.

Edit: Yeah, I did 185x20 on March 5th.

Edit2: I almost think you may like 5/3/1 with BBB on squat days looking at how much you like high rep squats. Have you checked out 5/3/1 at all?

Cooter

Yeah, I love high rep squats. 5/3/1 allows for that nearly every week. I think I did 185x20 one week. I think after doing 360x10 I could probably do 315x20. I may try that one of these coming weeks.

Also, there is a squat centric 5/3/1 program wendler posted a while back, although I can't find it now. Good numbers BTW.

Edit: Yeah, I did 185x20 on March 5th.

20 rep squats will have you praying to Allah! So tiring. Thanks, they're alright. I'm working on getting them up as you can see. I'd like to finish my last 5 at 370 (2x my body weight) I have a long way to go. Although, I bet I can get to 350ish if I just went to parallel.

Nope. Haven't checked into 5/3/1. I'll do some research.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
20 rep squats will have you praying to Allah! So tiring. Thanks, they're alright. I'm working on getting them up as you can see. I'd like to finish my last 5 at 370 (2x my body weight) I have a long way to go. Although, I bet I can get to 350ish if I just went to parallel.

I added a second edit, have you by chance checked out 5/3/1? I think you may enjoy it, especially with BBB as an assistance scheme for your squats.

Edit: I see your edit addressing my edit so I'll edit and add something more!

You probably want to check out the squat variation. I think MJ posted it before, but I can't remember. I google searched the other day for it and couldn't find it and it's not in the regular 5/3/1 book or the powerlifting book. I think it was purely posted on a blog/article somewhere.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Sorry for double, but felt it pertinent.

Found it cooter.

http://www.t-nation.com/strength-training-topics/1316

Wendler said:
5/3/1 Full Body Training: Squat, Press, Pull
by Jim Wendler - 08/01/2011
A new take on and old favorite.

I’ve experimented and written up thousands of programs and templates – this being one of them. I am in love with programming and trying to figure out how to make things simpler. I always read people’s articles/ books on training and try to figure out how to break it down into something even easier. Not to bastardize their program but rather to see the bigger picture – it’s like reading a good book/article; the author always hide a few good ideas amongst the words.

Here is a simple 3 day/week training program that allows you to train the entire body every workout. There is no fluff, nothing masturbatory and nothing fancy. This started as a way to get my shoulder flexibility back to normal by getting under the bar more often – even if it’s for lighter squats. From there, it morphed into this.

If you are currently doing the 5/3/1 program, you can EASILY start training like this the next week. Nothing has to change and it’s an easy transition.

This is obviously inspired by some of Bill Starr’s (and thus Mark Rippetoe) training; I give them thanks for the inspiration. As you can see, you have a press, squat and a pull each day. But each day has a “heavy” emphasis. And you always squat first. Because squatting is better than anything else.

Monday

• Squat – 3 sets of 5-10 reps (using deload percentages)

• Deadlift – 5/3/1 sets and reps

• DB Bench – 3 sets of 8-20 reps

Wednesday

• Squat – 3 sets of 5-10 reps (using deload percentages)

• Bench Press – 5/3/1 sets and reps

• DB Row – 3 sets or do Kroc Rows

Friday

• Squat – 5/3/1 sets and reps

• Press – 5/3/1 sets and reps (or do another pressing assistance exercise in its place)

• Chins or T-Bar Rows – 3-5 sets of whatever reps you want, usually 5-30 reps.

Notes:

• Start with sets of 5 on the “light” squat days. You can work your way up to sets of 10 but you don’t have to.

• You can structure the training however you see fit but this template is probably the best I’ve trained with.

• I’ve been doing this since type of split since my accident – my training log hasn’t been telling the whole truth as I didn’t want to answer questions about the training until I knew the answer.

• This works well and is fun. I take some long breaks between the exercises because I use the weight room to get stronger not to “tone”.

• I don’t compromise on my training or on my workouts – if you want to change something, do so and see if it works. I can’t endorse anything I don’t do personally.

• Eat. Sleep. Mate. Defend.

-Jim Wendler

Cooter

Since you're here...What is your deload percentage? Also, no pull ups? And then the major stupid question, what exactly does 5/3/1 stand for?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Since you're here...What is your deload percentage? Also, no pull ups? And then the major stupid question, what exactly does 5/3/1 stand for?

5/3/1 is the name of the program, it refers to the culmination of a cycle.

Week 1 the main lift is 5,5,5+. Week two the main lift is 3,3,3+, week three is 5,3,1+

All of it is percentage based and it's all submaximal training.

Here's more info.

Here's one of the best sources you can read without getting the book. This will explain 5/3/1 pretty well for you.

If reading that gets you interested, I really think you would like the book. I got the Ebook format since the back of the book can be printed as templates for your cycles.

There's a bunch of us here on this program.

abuC

Since the topic has switch over to diet (somewhat), I would like to share my experiences with dieting, having lost 50 lbs and plan to lose another 35 lbs. For me, the craving to binge comes after a free meal or after several 3-5 days of no free meals. On RFL, I consume around 900-1000 cals daily, and I find the cravings come for junk food, like burgers, shakes, sweets, etc, and not an actual hunger for any food.

When these cravings come, I like to detach and observe them. They can be very telling. They seek pleasure and contentment for an overabundance of food and usually don't stop unless I stop them.

900-1000 calories daily, what do you eat and are you noticing any drastic muscle loss?

Goddamn, Timedog. Are you in a city? Or in an area so rural that there isn't even a close WALMART?

There's gotta be a cheaper solution for you.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I went to the store today to get some eggs and checked the meat dept again to make sure I wasn't losing it, and yeah, chicken is 6 dollars/lb. It's organic. There's not a non-organic option for any of the meat. Ugh. No chicken breast in the frozen section, they had fish but it was pretty spendy.

Basically I need to find a store that actually sells non-organic meat.

Mr.City

900-1000 calories daily, what do you eat and are you noticing any drastic muscle loss?

I eat chicken, vegetables, protein powdah, and that's about it. Muscle loss has been non-existenant since I take in about 170ish grams of protein daily. My numbers fluxuate in the gym, but they've stayed in the same range as I've been on this diet.

Enco

The protein cookies from MyProtein are amazing.

Tried the Choc orange ones and damn they're good. 37 g of protein too which is crazy. Only downside is they're pretty expensive.

Mr.City

AwHereItGoesKenanAndKel.gif

Petrie

Banned
I eat chicken, vegetables, protein powdah, and that's about it. Muscle loss has been non-existenant since I take in about 170ish grams of protein daily. My numbers fluxuate in the gym, but they've stayed in the same range as I've been on this diet.

Damn, makes me debate cutting my calories a bit more and hopefully seeing my cut go a bit better. 200+ grams of protein daily here, but I feel I've had minor strength losses/non-gains.

JB1981

Tell ya just walking at like level 3.5 on treadmill with incline at max is pretty rough. Did that and then did sprints after lifting and another tabata session. It's fun to feel your cardio improving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom