• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT3| BroScience, Protein Dysentery, XXL Calf Implants, and Squat Rack Hogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enco

fuckkkkkk, is sleep the only way to get gains? Even if your resting and just laying there. No gains? :(

Is it still possible to get gains if I sleep well tonight? Or has that chance been lost?
:lol don't worry.

Just don't make it a habit and you'll be fine.

Sleeping 2 hours for a day doesn't invalidate your workout.

Cromat

I have the same problem.

I had a good workout yesterday but bad sleep (~5-6 hours) and it feels like a waste :(
The sleep part is often harder for me to abide by than the actual workouts.

I have the same problem.

I had a good workout yesterday but bad sleep (~5-6 hours) and it feels like a waste :(
The sleep part is often harder for me to abide by than the actual workouts.

Agreed.

Working out is incredibly easy for me, I never need motivation. I just adore pushing myself to the max.

Sleep has always been a burden for me though for many years, not just for bodybuilding.

OG Kush

I'm still following the p90x formula which had you working your back twice a week. Is this necessary? I do different back workouts both days, but I'd prefer to cut it down to 1 day so I could do something else like forarms etc

Carbonox

I find it difficult to sleep if it's too warm, especially during this part of the year. I find my optimum sleeping ability to be when it's freezing. That's why winter is best sleepy time. :(

I find it difficult to sleep if it's too warm, especially during this part of the year. I find my optimum sleeping ability to be when it's freezing. That's why winter is best sleepy time. :(

I agree completely. People usually find my bedroom unbearable during the winter because I leave the window open for most of the day.

grumble

I'm still following the p90x formula which had you working your back twice a week. Is this necessary? I do different back workouts both days, but I'd prefer to cut it down to 1 day so I could do something else like forarms etc

Not necessary. Have you considered not doing a split though? Full body would allow you to hit your whole body multiple times a week.

Ripclawe

Banned
Are 5 reps really the optimal range of reps? Everyone that I talk to says that its bullshit and that you can never gain the optimal amount of strength or size doing 5 reps of squats or bench press. It's honestly getting to the point of me straight up not wanting to do it anymore because they all think I'm following some looney workout.

between madcow and now 5/3/1 I can say that 5 reps work for me in making gains. The problem is people don't lift heavy enough doing these kinds of reps

entremet

P90x is not really BB centric program. Yes you can lose weight on it and gain some muscle. However, forearms are not in the program because they want to focus on the bigger muscle groups for a greater effect on strength and fat loss.

Forearms would be for a more advanced trainee.

Are you doing the DVDs? Or are you just copying the programming?

between madcow and now 5/3/1 I can say that 5 reps work for me in making gains. The problem is people don't lift heavy enough doing these kinds of reps

Further to this, they don't increase their 1RM (and subsequent calcs) after each cycle.

Are 5 reps really the optimal range of reps? Everyone that I talk to says that its bullshit and that you can never gain the optimal amount of strength or size doing 5 reps of squats or bench press. It's honestly getting to the point of me straight up not wanting to do it anymore because they all think I'm following some looney workout.

I think 5/3/1 is one of the most logical training programs available.

What some posters here recommended to me is to do a 4th set of 10 x 65% if you don't feel improvement.

We need a new thread.

OG Kush

Not necessary. Have you considered not doing a split though? Full body would allow you to hit your whole body multiple times a week.

I have but i've been on the basic p90x (took out yoga) split of chest/back - cardio - triceps/shoulders - cardio - legs/back - biceps - rest and I'm kind of afraid to leave. As in I want to change it up, start lookign in 5/3/1 and 5x5. I think after my exams are doing in 3 weeks I'll change it up. It'll give me some free time to start properly reading up on some shit.

P90x is not really BB centric program. Yes you can lose weight on it and gain some muscle. However, forearms are not in the program because they want to focus on the bigger muscle groups for a greater effect on strength and fat loss.

Forearms would be for a more advanced trainee.

Are you doing the DVDs? Or are you just copying the programming?

Nah i stopped doing the DVDs a few months back after my first round. now I just do variations of the exercise in the gym, taking out some and adding some new ones, probably about 75% the same.

Mr.City

fuckkkkkk, is sleep the only way to get gains? Even if your resting and just laying there. No gains? :(

Is it still possible to get gains if I sleep well tonight? Or has that chance been lost?

I can't tell if you're being a parody. You need sleep, for a variety reasons which I don't feel like posting here ( hint: it involves hormones in your body when you sleep), but one bad night of no sleep will not negate your workout, or your "gains" if you prefer.

Look at the big picture.

Optimal for what? And who are these people you are talking to? What have they accomplished? What is their reasoning? Lots of people like to shoot their mouths off after accumulating 3 years of "listening to their body" with a 225 bench.

To further answer your question, it depends. If you want to gain strength, then training heavy singles, doubles, triples, and 5s is a good way to do it, however you can't always go heavy every single session after a while. Many routines have you doing sub-maximal volume, like 5/3/1 or the Texas Method.

If you want to quit doing 5's because your friends don't like it, then it's good to know that you will always be a slave to the opinion of others.

So I'm looking for some tips/advice on cutting weight. I can diet pretty easily and I know what to eat, but what's the best way to do it with minimal muscle loss? I just finished my first attempt at bulking up. I was eating 3,500+ calories a day.

I'm 22, 6'2, 185 and I just want to lose 5-10 pounds for the summer. My maintenance level is about 3,000 calories, I seem to stay at the same weight when I eat that much. As long as I'm getting enough protein can I eat 2,000 calories a day or is it better to go slower than that?

And yesterday I ran 5 or 6 miles on top of my lifting routine, but I wasn't sure if I should compensate and eat more or just stick with my normal diet.

If you're maintenance is 3000, then 2000 will mean a daily deficit of 1000. Over a week, that's 7000 cals, or roughly 2 lbs. That's a pretty aggressive diet, and I wouldn't try to pile on cardio on top of it. In addition, you may notice a drop in gym performance, which may require a reduction in overall volume.

What are some good compound exercises that don't require a barbell? I don't have room for a barbell and I'll never go to the gym, my social anxiety is way too big for that.

Being a slave to your insecurities is a good way to make you live a mediocre and wasted life.

Side note: it's hot as balls out here in Chicago, and I am seeing so many cardio goobers on the street. All of them run like someone shot them in the ass with a tranquilizer dart and almost all 'jog' at walking speed. How unfortunate that this is considered a workout. In 3 months time, they'll be a smaller, less muscular version of themselves....well, those that don't give up during week 2.

I'm going to toot my own horn here. Yesterday I helped someone move during the hottest day of the year thus far in Chicago. I loved it. I loved carrying the stuff up 3 flights of stairs, the heat, the exertion. Everyone else was hot, sweaty, beat up, and just wanted to go home.

I'm about 6'3 and 230-ish lbs with a body fat in the mid 20s. I'm not the pinnacle of athletic endeavorism, but I try. I was in far, far better shape then these people who did yoga, jogged, did 'martial arts,' and other stuff. The reason I tell you this is not to go, "Look how awesome I am," but rather to show how 'effective' all those forms of 'exercise' are and what taking it easy gets you.

Enco

First workout after a month break/light bodyweight stuff.

Feels good mang. The post workout bump is such an amazing feeling. Wish the temporary size increase wasn't temporary though haha :p

The heat kinda sucks though. Sweating quite a bit.

Onemic

Further to this, they don't increase their 1RM (and subsequent calcs) after each cycle.

I think 5/3/1 is one of the most logical training programs available.

What some posters here recommended to me is to do a 4th set of 10 x 65% if you don't feel improvement.

We need a new thread.

What's 5/3/1 exactly? I'm just doing the workout program in the OP. For the most part by the time I get to my last rep on my last set it's a struggle to get it up.

What's 5/3/1 exactly? I'm just doing the workout program in the OP. For the most part by the time I get to my last rep on my last set it's a struggle to get it up.

A rather popular lifting routine, google it. Or maybe someone who is on it will post it. I don't have it memorized.

Ripclawe

Banned

bjb

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but can any guru's in here elaborate on cardiovascular exercise, as it relates to brain health?

My understanding is that heavy cardio is essentially fertilizer for the brain. It helps existing brain cells from going dormant, in addition to creating new pathways for neurons to travel. Is that accurate? And if so - can it be inferred that encouraging say, my parents, to start exercising heavily may help prevent a disease such as alzheimers?

Outside of the other health benefits it would provide.

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but can any guru's in here elaborate on cardiovascular exercise, as it relates to brain health?

My understanding is that heavy cardio is essentially fertilizer for the brain. It helps existing brain cells from going dormant, in addition to creating new pathways for neurons to travel. Is that accurate? And if so - can it be inferred that encouraging say, my parents, to start exercising heavily may help prevent a disease such as alzheimers?

Outside of the other health benefits it would provide.

I have never heard cardio mentioned in relation to alzheimer's before. Though I'm skeptical, my curiosity is piqued. Looking it up.

EDIT:
Well, it looks like it may help. No definitive, well-supported proof, but promising studies. It may help and definitely cant hurt.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2657657/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2657657/

Soybean

I've been using a Zeo to track my sleep patterns and I, like most people, get my deep sleep in early. This is when physical restoration occurs. You should still get a healthy night's sleep as often as possible obviously, but 4 or 5 hours of sleep may be enough to get muscle growth.

For the longest time that's all I got on weekends (about 5 hours of sleep) and I still grew. However, my new year's resolution was to get more, and I feel so much better., Sorry, work. Health comes first now!

bjb

Banned
Aye, though I'm not specifically concerned with alzheimers. More interested if someone is familiar with the actual effects cardio has on brain health.

Onemic

Looks interesting, so the idea is to get base everytihng off my 1RM? Guess I'll spend a workout trying to figure out my 4RM then.

I know bodybuilding.com calculates your 1RM for you based on your reps/sets you do, would that be a good indicator on where to start?

Aye, though I'm not specifically concerned with alzheimers. More interested if someone is familiar with the actual effects cardio has on brain health.

Well, the mood-boosting effects are definitely good for you and are generally good for your ability to think straight. It seems reasonably possible that improved blood flow can help, well, every body part.

I always have fun procrastinating in vaguely intellectual ways so I'm still looking up stuff, and there are certainly people claiming exercise is good for memory, but I haven't found a ton of stuff from actual studies yet. One thing studied women that carried some specific gene related to alzheimer's risk and found that exericse showed changes in their brain function, though the control group showed no such benefit. I wish I wasn't so horrible at navigating my school's library catalog, I'm sure we have stuff.

This is in no way my field, I'm just having fun.

Cudder

On the subject of proper sleep patterns:

I know 8 hours is suggested, but what if I go to sleep at like, 3:00am but still get a solid 8-9 hours of sleep. Is that cool, or does going to bed at a decent hour also need to be a necessity. Always wondered this.

Looks interesting, so the idea is to get base everytihng off my 1RM? Guess I'll spend a workout trying to figure out my 4RM then.

I know bodybuilding.com calculates your 1RM for you based on your reps/sets you do, would that be a good indicator on where to start?
I took my current weight as a start. It might have been a bit lower than i could have done, but especially with Boring But Big afterwards i was completely wasted after a workout. That shit is hard. :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

No, go read more on 5/3/1 it has its own formula.

barnone

Can anyone recommend a simple program for developing my vertical? I'm 6'4" at around 180 lbs if that matters.

I can't squat properly. I'm pretty sure this is because of my poor ankle mobility, which I'm working on. I can already tell a pretty good difference in my squat form after 3 weeks of moderate ankle exercises

Anyways, yea, jump exercises: enlighten me!

steveovig

I have a question guys, I started with a personal trainer last week and he's got me doing a superset routine but I'm not sure when to do cardio. Is it ok to do cardio on the same day as my lifts?

lenovox1

Can anyone recommend a simple program for developing my vertical? I'm 6'4" at around 180 lbs if that matters.

I can't squat properly. I'm pretty sure this is because of my poor ankle mobility, which I'm working on. I can already tell a pretty good difference in my squat form after 3 weeks of moderate ankle exercises

Anyways, yea, jump exercises: enlighten me!

Plyometrics, combo plyo and strength (so weighted squats and then squat jumps and that's set), and dance can help you get the power and coordination you need to jump higher.

I have a question guys, I started with a personal trainer last week and he's got me doing a superset routine but I'm not sure when to do cardio. Is it ok to do cardio on the same day as my lifts?

You shouldn't need cardio if you're doing supersets. If you're going to do cardio, I would do 30 minutes on an off today

steveovig

You shouldn't need cardio if you're doing supersets. If you're going to do cardio, I would do 30 minutes on an off today

Ok, that makes sense because the lifts are so exhausting. My PT didn't tell me but what's a good split for doing the supersets? I've been doing them twice a week with 2 days rest in between each, sometimes 3.

Fitness GAF, I want to start working out in the AM and PM. For the guys that do this do you just wear new gym clothes at night? I dont have enough to do 14 sessions without washing. Can you get away with reusing clothes or do they just become bacteria soaked cotton?

kylej

Banned
What if i want to do cardio[treadmill] for losing weight but also my full body? Should i do both in the same day or isolated?

by full body do you mean full body workouts? Don't do intense cardio and intense lifting in the same day, and also don't do full body weighlifting sessions. Split it up to give your body the ability to recover. Chest one day, then legs, the back, then shoulders, etc.

Fitness GAF, I want to start working out in the AM and PM. For the guys that do this do you just wear new gym clothes at night? I dont have enough to do 14 sessions without washing. Can you get away with reusing clothes or do they just become bacteria soaked cotton?

why in god's green earth are you working out 14 times a week?

entremet

I don't really sweat much as I mostly due weight training, but I never reuse my T-shirts. Tees are cheap. Just buy a couple packs of Hanes and use them only for the gym.

I own three gym shorts and I rotate them once. Wear, quick sink wash, air dry. Again I don't really sweat. If I did I, I would wash them after one use in the machine.

That's a lot of volume there. What are you doing 14 times a week?

what about arms? I can do bicep and tricep the same day right?

Yes. But most BB splits do Back/Bis and Chest/Tris. Doesn't matter honestly. Are you a beginner?

I don't really sweat much as I mostly due weight training, but I never reuse my T-shirts. Tees are cheap. Just buy a couple packs of Hanes and use them only for the gym.

I own three gym shorts and I rotate them once. Wear, quick sink wash, air dry. Again I don't really sweat. If I did I, I would wash them after one use in the machine.

That's a lot of volume there. What are you doing 14 times a week?

Yes. But most BB splits do Back/Bis and Chest/Tris. Doesn't matter honestly. Are you a beginner?

Well i worked out back in 2008. I forgot a lot since then and i am returning back now.

Can't wait to start starting strength next week, I've been doing a cross training class for 2 months which I substituted my routine out since I didn't have enough time. The class has really helped my endurance but I miss lifting, in the mean time I'll be fixing up my diet and reading more about lifting.

Insaniac

well I've made some good progress over the last couple months and have dropped 10 lbs and feelings much better, and can tell that i'm slimmer and have more muscle. Last time I was this fit was a couple years ago, but back the i struggled with cutting the last bit of fat to add some tone to my body. If I am looking to hit that last bit of fat, what should I be focusing on? I have been doing 1.5 to 2 mi of cardio 4 or 5 times a week, and an hour of weight training 6 days a week with 1 rest day in the middle.

Also, what do you guys like to eat that is relatively low in carbs but high in fiber? I feel like a good morning deuce makes my running / work out better just cause I feel less burdened so to speak.

Buy some cheap dri fit shirts at Walmart or Target. They are about ten bucks. I work out twice a day about 4 days a week. The shirts dry very quickly and i just use it again for the evening workout.

grumble

well I've made some good progress over the last couple months and have dropped 10 lbs and feelings much better, and can tell that i'm slimmer and have more muscle. Last time I was this fit was a couple years ago, but back the i struggled with cutting the last bit of fat to add some tone to my body. If I am looking to hit that last bit of fat, what should I be focusing on? I have been doing 1.5 to 2 mi of cardio 4 or 5 times a week, and an hour of weight training 6 days a week with 1 rest day in the middle.

Also, what do you guys like to eat that is relatively low in carbs but high in fiber? I feel like a good morning deuce makes my running / work out better just cause I feel less burdened so to speak.

Continue calorie deficit, continue weight training. The cardio is an adjustment to your calorie deficit.

TheBear

I'm doing Starting Strength, and last night I jerked off twice and then again this morning, and I really struggled with my workout, just had no energy. I'm assuming this has something to do with a lack of testosterone or something, how long should I abstain before a workout?

kylej

Banned
I'm doing Starting Strength, and last night I jerked off twice and then again this morning, and I really struggled with my workout, just had no energy. I'm assuming this has something to do with a lack of testosterone or something, how long should I abstain before a workout?

whacking off isn't going to do anything to your lifts dude

There's a link to a complete 5/3/1 calculator applet in the 3rd post of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom