• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fivethirtyeight has Republicans at almost 70% chance of taking the Senate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I really fell out of politics. Oh well.

I wish some really change would take the country. Democrats are still far too right for me.

It'd be great if they were served another upset due to incomplete polling like Romney or the last midterms- but Dem voters only vote every four years. It's like the public won't stomach a Republican in charge, but doesn't really know how government actually works.

Average person is dumb as fucking bricks yo.

Necrovex

Fuck the Democratic Party. I'm not one of those smug they're all the same maaaan people, but seriously the Democrats don't really offer anything compelling other than the fact that they're not right wing proto-fascists. So yeah I'm sitting this one out. It's not like my vote matters anyway in such a solidly blue state as NY.

Then vote for the minor positions and amendments. Voting on the state level means more than choosing a governor or a senator. Hell I dislike Charlie Christ but he is a significantly better choice than Scott. Plus I wanted to vote for the non crazy people for educational positions, and to vote yes on the medical weed amendment.

It'd be great if they were served another upset due to incomplete polling like Romney or the last midterms- but Dem voters only vote every four years. It's like the public won't stomach a Republican in charge, but doesn't really know how government actually works.

Average person is dumb as fucking bricks yo.

You sound like you don't realize Democrats have lost two presidential elections in a row before too.

meanspartan

Every time the Dems are on the wrong side of the vote, the electorate becomes "dim" and ignorant.
When a Democrat wins, suddenly the people are "enlightened visionaries" with "hope for change" or some shit like that.
I'll give you some credit though, thunder balls. The fact of the matter is that both sides are dim and it's all about who feels compelled to put down their phones, get off the lazy boy and cast their
(in the case of most Democrats, ILLEGAL)
votes
. This time, the R's have it. Obama is poison. There's a reason for that. The best thing Democrats can do now is try to understand why. If you guys double down in 2016, party is over.

Are you being serious right now?

RedTurbo

Banned
BOTH the American people and the political system are at fault. We could EASILY change shit around by voting genuine people who actually want to help the country, but instead we vote in shitty career politicians. The system is broken because we allow it to stay broken.
Most people honestly don't believe they have a choice. Problem is, our system is set up to only allow for one of the two ideologies to adequately win. It was why the founding fathers never wanted a party system but a group of nonpartison independent thinkers as government officials who would, after a certain time, step down from their duties. While that's possible, we know due to experience that such an idea is only possible with heavy government reforms. It's not possible without it hence the political clusterfuck we have in the present day.

Now, as we move toward the future due to advances in communications, it won't surprise me if more and more independents of varying political minds get elected especially in the Senate, but until then, I'm not surprised that the American public doesn't think they have any choice due to how the system is set up for the main players to always win.

If I could reform the system I would make

A Constitutional Amendment for public campaign financing (Reversing Citizen's United, no more than the present day equivalent of $250,000 for campaigns can't use your own money either.)

Pay Limits

Work Day Limits (Not this bullshit about how they get to set their own schedule and then go on paid vacation 200 days out of the year.)

Term Limits (No more than 4, 2 year terms as a Representative and 2, 6 year terms as a Senator, Judges can serve for 20 years.)

Maximum Age Limits (If you can get social security you can't be in politics)

Eliminate the Electoral College (it was made because the founding fathers did not trust the electorate anyway.)

Eliminate Political Parties

Require at least 3 candidates for all races.

Independently Draw House Redistricting at a federal level.

Truth in Media (News media must cite their sources to be classified legally as news, if not they have to be labeled as opinion. This would eliminate the likes of Fox News and MSNBC which are only out to propagate to their base under the guise of news)

That would eliminate 90% of the problems with our political system. The other 10% would be not voting.

Fuck the Democratic Party. I'm not one of those smug they're all the same maaaan people, but seriously the Democrats don't really offer anything compelling other than the fact that they're not right wing proto-fascists. So yeah I'm sitting this one out. It's not like my vote matters anyway in such a solidly blue state as NY.
Your vote always matters.

If I could reform the system I would make

A Constitutional Amendment for public campaign financing (Reversing Citizen's United, no more than the present day equivalent of $250,000 for campaigns can't use your own money either.)

Pay Limits

Work Day Limits (Not this bullshit about how they get to set their own schedule and then go on paid vacation 200 days out of the year.)

Term Limits (No more than 4, 2 year terms as a Representative and 2, 6 year terms as a Senator, Judges can serve for 20 years.)

Maximum Age Limits (If you can get social security you can't be in politics)

Eliminate the Electoral College (it was made because the founding fathers did not trust the electorate anyway.)

Eliminate Political Parties

Require at least 3 candidates for all races.

Independently Draw House Redistricting at a federal level.

Truth in Media (News media must cite their sources to be classified legally as news, if not they have to be labeled as opinion. This would eliminate the likes of Fox News and MSNBC which are only out to propagate to their base under the guise of news)

That would eliminate 90% of the problems with our political system. The other 10% would be not voting.
I would fight you on virtually every single item on that list. You wouldn't come close to eliminating 90% of what you consider a problem and would introduce hundreds more.

I might go along with pay limits and independently drawn districts (but at the state level, not federal.)

LosDaddie

Banned
It's going to happen. Repubs will control both Houses. Thank a Democrat next time you see them.

I early voted last weekend. Took about 10min total. Felt good.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Democrats are left of the road, Republicas are right of the road. Libertarians are the ones mainly in the middle.

This is hilarious.

The Democratic party is a center party, and Libertarians aren't in the middle of anything.

Palpable

This is hilarious.

The Democratic party is a center party, and Libertarians aren't in the middle of anything.

th_Flowbee.jpg

Oh? Educate me then. Who's left of the road? Last I checked, Dems are for big government.

Bullshit. There is nothing remotely middle about Libertarians.

Yes they are. They're mostly in the middle on many subjects dividing Reps and Dems.

demon

th_Flowbee.jpg

Oh? Educate me then. Who's left of the road? Last I checked, Dems are for big government.

Yes they are. They're mostly in the middle on many subjects dividing Reps and Dems.

"Dems are for big government" is like a meaningless Fox News talking point, and you don't really seem to understand what "center" means, what Libertarians stand for, or both. Libertarians are on the extreme right economically.

"Dems are for big government" is like a meaningless Fox News talking point, and you don't really seem to understand what "center" means, what Libertarians stand for, or both. Libertarians are on the extreme right economically.
Libertarians are protecting your freedoms as we speak. Who cares economics.

I kid bulbo I kid. I'm jostling ya. You are good people.
You too Rusty. You were one of the most consistently annoying people to me a few years ago, but since then, much respect.
I just wish you'd become right wing like me.

Palpable

Yes, I fixed my statement about the Libs.

"Libertarians are all for letting people taking control of their own lives and not letting the government interfere. So that being said, I correct myself, Libs are far right."

Democrats believe the Federal govt should be involved in the state's regulations, more taxation, etc.. More taxes from middle and upper class to give to the lower class, etc. Saying it's a fox news arguing point is just dumb.

RDreamer

Democrats are middle of the road though. I wouldn't really call them left wing.

Meh, most dems are right wing as far as I'm concerned. Obama himself is right wing, at least as far as in practice. People like Elizabeth Warren are left, I suppose. Sanders is actually left (and thus, not a democrat!)

demon

But if the Republicans come out of this midterm with a majority in both Houses, Democrats won't do that, right?

Did they take a vow when Bush took office to do nothing but obstruct during his term? Are you pulling the whole "both sides are the same" thing?

Yes, I fixed my statement about the Libs.

"Libertarians are all for letting people taking control of their own lives and not letting the government interfere. So that being said, I correct myself, Libs are far right."

Democrats believe the Federal govt should be involved in the state's regulations, more taxation, etc.. More taxes from middle and upper class to give to the lower class, etc. Saying it's a fox news arguing point is just dumb.

Just because you repeat a ridiculous lie doesn't make it any less if a fox news talking point, or any more true.

Necrovex

Meh, most dems are right wing as far as I'm concerned. Obama himself is right wing, at least as far as in practice. People like Elizabeth Warren are left, I suppose. Sanders is actually left (and thus, not a democrat!)

I dream of a day when America is run by people like Sanders and Warren!

Palpable

facepalm.jpg

Just because you repeat a ridiculous lie doesn't make it any less if a fox news talking point, or any more true.

nope1.gif

You thinking it is a lie doesn't make it a lie, as it is indeed true. Talk shit about fox news all you want, I don't watch their channel.

Bodacious

Banned
Did they take a vow when Bush took office to do nothing but obstruct during his term? Are you pulling the whole "both sides are the same" thing?

No, just replying to one post. I just thought it seemed odd that he called Republicans assholes for obstructing the Democrats' legislative efforts the last few years. They're assholes all right, but "obstructing" is what they're supposed to do when on the defensive and looking at initiatives that are opposed to their platform. Democrats do too, or should. When they appear to capitulate then the liberal voting base is frustrated by their apparent complicity. (see Battersea Power Stations' post above)

RDreamer

No, just replying to one post. I just thought it seemed odd that he called Republicans assholes for obstructing the Democrats' legislative efforts the last few years. They're assholes all right, but "obstructing" is what they're supposed to do when on the defensive and looking at initiatives that are opposed to their platform. Democrats do too, or should. When they appear to capitulate then the liberal voting base is frustrated by their apparent complicity. (see Battersea Power Stations' post above)

The problem is that, for the republicans, everything falls under the umbrella "opposed to their platform" when it comes from a black democrat in the white house.

Is there a danger of Obamacare being weakened if Repubs do take Congress?

No, Obama can still veto and if there ever was a realistic chance of them being able to overrule his veto, you'd start to see real pressure from voters to not do it.

It's easy enough to vote to repeal it when it has no chance of being repealed, it's another all together when that's a realistic chance. The system is too ingrained already, repealing it would have serious negative consequences that would become very obvious as soon as it was repealed and would hurt politicians.

They're assholes all right, but "obstructing" is what they're supposed to do when on the defensive and looking at initiatives that are opposed to their platform. Democrats do too, or should.
No... No they should not. You work with the party in power to make their legislative initiatives more acceptable to your party or ideology. That's the way it has historically worked. If not, the country would have probably collapsed from gridlock a lonnnnnng time ago. You cannot run a government like this long term.

ucdawg12

what income brackets do you divide the classes by? i don't consider democratic policies to be in favor of raising taxes on the middle class, just the upper class. imo the democratic party's policies to be relatively pro-middle class and i think the GOP's policies are relatively anti-middle class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom