• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flashback Origins (Flashback HD remake) announced for XBLA, PSN and Steam

I remember sitting thorough the awesome intro cutscene dozens of times, only to be killed by the first enemy. Never really got into this game as a kid.

I loved the original... I played it again not too long ago and finished it in one sitting (and one night).
I'm not sure about a remake though. What I appreciated the most was the very precise controls and gunplay (roll, jump, shoot...). It's still a good thing to bring it back I guess, but I'm just cautiously excited. :)
I played it when I was a child and never got out of the jungle area.

Translation of the other page:

The good news of the day, advertised as "leaked" by a certain anonymous colleagues (we assure you, we were aware for several weeks) for the HD remake of Flashback.

Indeed, Paul Cuisset, the original creator, is currently developing a new version of the cult game through his company Vector Cell.

More than just "update HD", it will be a real work of reform. The architecture of the levels will be kept, but all the decorations, all the characters and all the animations have been redone from A to Z.
The game will also offer as a bonus making-of.

This new Flashback is scheduled for release on PSN, Xbox Live and Steam (perhaps on the eShop Wii U?) In the current year. It will be published by Ubisoft and will be called "Flashback Origins". Compared to "return old-school" Rayman, no doubt.

In any case, we can not wait. And now that could put the company on track Vector Cell, in difficulties since the failure of AMY. So, because this remake will necessarily be a great success (though, if it is required) and because the plow put before the horse is sometimes quite fun, we hope they enchaîneront on Fade to Black, Following the game ..
Not sure whether the bolded part is a good sign or not.

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
WHAAT.

One of my faves of the 16 bit gen. Hopefully they make it faithful to the original.

It's got Paul Cuisset on the job, so hopefully he can stay focused on what made the original great.

I really wouldn't be surprised by an uprezzed original mode either, he'd want to direct some attention to the original game as well.

Fingers crossed.

And ultimately, what I really hope they don't change is the figure-it-out-for-yourself gameplay - any amount of spoon feeding would ruin the feel of the original.

Obviously he lost his touch.

Remember Flashback Legends?

primo-mondo.jpg

Yeah.... fuck that.

Flashback, Cruise for a Corpse and Future Wars were so fucking gorgeous, what happened?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looking at that screenshot, if you had told me it was Shadow Complex 2 I would have believed you, lol.

Hmmm...intrigued. I don't much care for the art style, though. That said, I loved the original and if it evokes something similar, then all is right with the world.

Tell you what I COULD go for, and that's a new Bermuda Syndrome.

Gowans

That image puts me way off.

The need to cell shade it or add a filter or something.

It NEEDS to have STYLE!

One of my favorites in the Mega drive days; not sure I need a graphics revamp.
Not every gamer is 25+ years-old. Some may have never played Flashback back in the nineties and would probably never try it without a release on current platforms. Perhaps they don't have nostalgia for old-school graphics either, so might as well make a modern version of the game.

Not every gamer is 25+ years-old. Some may have never played Flashback back in the nineties and would probably never try it without a release on current platforms. Perhaps they don't have nostalgia for old-school graphics either, so might as well make a modern version of the game.

Like some else said, Flashback would look gorgeous if it was given the Out of this World/Another World HD remake. Higher-res rotoscoping and re-done hand drawn backgrounds.

This project reeks of a quick money grab, cashing in on fans' nostalgia.

It'd be cool if they included an original graphics mode that you could swap on-the-fly...for us old timers.

Obviously he lost his touch.

Remember Flashback Legends?

primo-mondo.jpg

Yeah.... fuck that.

Flashback, Cruise for a Corpse and Future Wars were so fucking gorgeous, what happened?

Wow, i had never seen Flashback Legends - what a strange re-interpretation of your own game. But, in terms of worrying about Cuisset's current chops, that's got nothing on...

vectorcell is the studio responsible for the fucking disaster known as AMY right?

Yup, was just about to post this. Landed a glorious 33% on metacritic.

This could definitely go either way. Really our only hope is an original mode.

It'd be cool if they included an original graphics mode that you could swap on-the-fly...for us old timers.

I loved the "Another World" iOS remake for including this option - that being said I think Eric Chahi has proven to be a much more important talent than Cuisset.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...

It's not a matter of old-school graphics. Even back in the primitive days of the SNES and Genesis\Mega Drive, they could make more detailed sprites and backgrounds. But Flashback had its own style that this new version completely ignores.

this could be cool. i played out of this world and really enjoyed it when it released on the snes, but never played flashback. i'll have to keep an eye on it. hopefully it's a quality remake.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It looks like they removed everything that made the graphics stylish, it almost looks like a 2.5D Uncharted platformer now.

flashback01.jpg
Really? From what I'm seeing, they did an excellent job translating that first area into 3D. The wooden platforms, the shape of the leaves, the winding trees, the hanging vines etc. It's all there.

tzare

amazing!!! Hopefully PSN also means Vita

btw, i always thought flasback>>>> another world. The sequel was Fade to black wasn't it? was it any good ?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Without the signature look and animation is this remake something people really want?

I played it a long time ago and have no idea if it was actually a really good game or just a really cool looking/feeling game. In other words, how much did the style and animation contribute to people's enjoyment?

Beefwheat

I'm...cautiously intrigued. Flashback blew my mind as a kid -- what with all the cyberpunk trappings and gorgeous animation -- and while I strongly doubt it'll happen again it might still be worth checking out.

I also like how the subtitle "Origins" implies that there's a lot of sequels or a huge story that we need to get back to the beginning of. But there was just Flashback, and...Fade To Black? Which like, three people played?

Edit: Apparently F2B was a UK best-seller, go figure.

I also like how the subtitle "Origins" implies that there's a lot of sequels or a huge story that we need to get back to the beginning of. But there was just Flashback, and...Fade To Black? Which like, three people played?
I stopped caring about subtitles after I played a few Castlevania games.

ShaneB

Holy crap this is awesome. note: Please be awesome.

edit: So much Fade to Black hate :( I know I loved it as a kid, but I also now know I loved it because I was a kid. lol

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I absolutely *love* Flashback so I hope this turns out good, not overly impressed with that screen though.

Will need to see it in motion.

codhand

Beat Flashback on a Mac Performa 636, think it was five, 3.5 floppy disk install.
performa636.jpg

Game ran like shit on Genesis I remember.

Holy Shit, Day 1!

This has been my game that I have wanted a HD remake of ever since they started doing them. Used to rent this game all the time back in the day, until I forgot to take it back and it stayed with me from then on :)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Boo at those graphics. I'd much rather just have a direct port of the original game.
Why exactly? The original game has source ports available on all sorts of platforms. If you want to play the original you have dozens of options.

*sees title*
*gets big nostalgic smile*
*sees VectorCell, googles*
Hurm.

I used to rent this game on SNES so many times. I was terrible at it, but loved the atmosphere in it.

Top Bottom