• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flashback Origins (Flashback HD remake) announced for XBLA, PSN and Steam

Havoc2049

I first played it on the SNES and didn't realize the drastic slowdown until I picked up the Sega version. The speed difference made it miles better in my opinion. The only thing that wasn't up to par was the music and sound effects.

The SNES version is also censored....lame...

There has actually been TONS of debate about this over the years, but the best versions of the game are arguably either the MS-DOS (CD version, not the 3.5 disk version), Sega CD, 3DO or Atari Jaguar versions. The Jaguar version was the last port made and has a slightly larger color palette and if you look REALLY close, it looks slightly better than the other versions, but there is also slow down in one level for like 30 seconds...so people bitch about that...lol All the versions are pretty damn close though and it's a good game no matter what platform you play it on.

ShutEye

I'd pick this up. I just played the SNES version the other day & was thinking wouldn't it be great for this to get remade and for the controls to be modernized!

I never realized there were so many versions.

Heart of the Alien isn't even good game.

I pined for HOTA for years... literally years.. until I finally read about it's development, namely the fact that Chahi wanted nothing to do with the game and it was ultimately a huge disappointment critically. Made me feel much better.

XaosWolf

Wanted to post this yesterday, but Junior Member says no.

Flashback is in my top 10 favourite games, and as much as this is exciting and unexpected, the dev team doesn't fill me with confidence.

And the screenshot certainly doesn't help either.

Though if it includes a revamped version of the classic as an extra then I'll buy it anyway. =)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
This could be a good place to remind people that AW 20th year edition was released on iOS and is a really good port.

It doesn't have a sequel, and they did a lovely new version of Another World for its 15th anniversary.
Another World has a sequel. Chahi was not involved with it, but it's a sequel which continues the story and has you playing the Alien guy from AW. It's called Heart of Alien and was a very obscure game only available on Sega CD as far as I know. It was also bad compared to AW.

Don't like the character model at all. He looks way too Nathan Drake actiony, and nothing like the schmoe transplanted into another world he's supposed to be.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Looks fine to me (compared to similar areas in the original).
They need to drop the HUD though. That ruins it, imo.
It's not bad, but that picture posted a page back is like a knife twisted right into the wound when you think it could have looked like that with different people making it -_-

Also, as far as I know this remake is handled by the same people that made a terrible game Amy on PS3, so that doesn't instil confidence..

Bedlam

The SNES version is also censored....lame...

There has actually been TONS of debate about this over the years, but the best versions of the game are arguably either the MS-DOS (CD version, not the 3.5 disk version).
I prefer the disk version. The overproduced CD soundtrack is not nearly as good as the actual midi/synthi music tracks.

This could be a good place to remind people that AW 20th year edition was released on iOS and is a really good port.

Another World has a sequel. Chahi was not involved with it, but it's a sequel which continues the story and has you playing the Alien guy from AW. It's called Heart of Alien and was a very obscure game only available on Sega CD as far as I know. It was also bad compared to AW.
Oh I know, believe me I know... I own it.

It doesn't have a sequel.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I loved the original on the Amiga but I think that was mainly due to the amazing visuals for the time, rather than the gameplay. If it's reasonably priced then I'll probably buy this remake.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
iKtGvQh8c4pAt.gif

i8r8ywjUtdEtj.gif

idj57t8zwvguh.gif

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
This is one of those classic Megadrive/Genesis games I missed. A friend at work showed me the original Flashback running on his iPhone saying it was his favourite game as a kid. Perhaps I should give the game a go. As for this remake; cool that they're making it but I think some of the charm of the game is lost in translation. It's reassuring knowing the original creator is behind this but I think those screens could look better.

The soundtrack to this game also gets way too little love - the audio from these scenes is burned into my memory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v01h0Kq2Enw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v01h0Kq2Enw

Although the music never worked on mine :( Maybe I should re-download or something, cuz God, the music in AW is incredible.

Oh I know, believe me I know... I own it.

It doesn't have a sequel.

lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
It's not bad, but that picture posted a page back is like a knife twisted right into the wound when you think it could have looked like that with different people making it -_-

Also, as far as I know this remake is handled by the same people that made a terrible game Amy on PS3, so that doesn't instil confidence..
Again, as I've stated above, the creator of Amy is also the creator of the ORIGINAL Flashback (and many other Delphine titles).

What made the original amazing were the animations. If the HD remake animates like that I will have no problem.

Unfortunately the animations are intrinsically tied to the weighty feeling controls, and the more I think about it, the more likely it seems the devs will want to "tighten those up" ie. ruin them by creating sped/artificial animation transitions.

*sigh*

There's so many ways this can go wrong - I know we don't know much, but the graphical overhaul it's getting suggests there's some serious reinvention at work here. Why not just up-rezz the fucking graphics and leave it alone, guys? Look to Eric Chahi, dude knows what it's all about.

Ricky_R

YESSSSSS..... My dreams may come true after all. Always thought this game deserved a remake so bad and I always wanted one.

Hope this projects gets done.

Fularu

Banned
Please remake :

Les voyageurs du temps
Operation Stealth
Cruise for a corpse
Fade to black

And by Lankhor :

Maupiti Island
Mortevielle Manor

Thanks!

Andrew.

Banned
Just bought the original Genesis version complete in the box with the manual off Amazon for 15 bucks. Itll be here Friday.

I haven't played this game in 20 years.

Radogol

Why not just up-rezz the fucking graphics and leave it alone, guys? Look to Eric Chahi, dude knows what it's all about.

He does, but if you look at this thread, people have no idea AW was remade like twice in the last ten years. So maybe, even if he does, he really doesn't?

He does, but if you look at this thread, people have no idea AW was remade like twice in the last ten years. So maybe, even if he does, he really doesn't?

I suppose. More a publishing problem though - I have no idea why the remake wasn't released on PSN/XBLA. Shit like this gets lost on iOS, people aren't looking for experiences like this.

Leonsito

One of my favorite games ever, I have two copies of the Genesis version, i have beaten the game so much times, level 2 is my favorite.

That pic from the remake looks awful, it doesn't look like Flashback at all, it's similar to the GBA sequel, I think I have the BETA ROM somewhere...

TheMan

anyone here ever play heart of darkness? some of the people who made flashback also made that game, and as I recall it had a very long and tumultuous development process. I never did play it, but can someone who did give us some impressions?

(off-topic, i know. just seemed like a decent place to ask the question considering the connection)

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Nice!

Flashback is one of my favorite games of all time, and I still own the Genesis cartridge and comic book instruction booklet to this day!

Only thing I'm not big on is the 2.5D presentation. I'd have loved some slick hand drawn art, or some high resolution sprite work, complete with the "rotoscoped" animations. Still, I've been hoping for an HD Flashback remake for a long, long time now, so I'm stoked either way.

anyone here ever play heart of darkness? some of the people who made flashback also made that game, and as I recall it had a very long and tumultuous development process.
Actually, Heart of Darkness was made by Eric Chahi, who as it has been pointed out was not involved with Flashback. Never got to play it myself, but I remember that teaser trailer did look amazing.

TheMan

Actually, Heart of Darkness was made by Eric Chahi, who as it has been pointed out was not involved with Flashback. Never got to play it myself, but I remember that teaser trailer did look amazing.

actually, eric chahi did not work alone on heart of darkness...some of the other people at amazing studio also made flashback. if you're going to be pedantic at least be correct.

s_mirage

Hmm. I'm cautiously looking forward to this but I agree that it looks a little generic on the graphics front. Whatever the reason for the artistic choices back in the day, the smooth but minimalistic style of the original is what gave it a lot of it's character. More whizz-bang flashy graphics aren't necessarily better, as both the CD versions of the original and Fade to Black have already shown. That said, while I personally would have preferred something more along the lines of the Another World remakes, it is good that Flashback is making a comeback again.

Bleepey

I downloaded the demo, installed it, and then had the pleasure of being asked for uPLay details just to play a demo. Are you fucking kidding me?

Top Bottom