• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Flashback Origins (Flashback HD remake) announced for XBLA, PSN and Steam

omonimo

Banned
This 'evolution' seems to me like someone taking classic french comic art and 're-interpreting' every element literally, with no concern for aesthetics or visual balance.

You can't just take a comic panel and reproduce it as a photo and expect the same or better result..

Re-intepreting? :\

Terra_Ex

Loved the original, will keep an eye on this, doesn't seem to have recaptured the look & feel of the original like the new oddworld remake does though.

Hope it'll be good, the game was amazing for its time. I'll leave judging the game until we see it in motion, keeping that same kind of stylish and highly detailed animation would go a long way of retaining what made the game stick out.

Also hope the music is good, it should ideally base itself around the Amiga module soundtrack, just with higher quality instruments, rather than the all too common generic, overdone synth-orchestra ones.

omonimo

Banned
reinterpreting :p

Third language problems!
This the 'original' art style:
flashback01.jpg

what art style we are talking about exactly?

Mesoian

YES!
::Looks at screenshots::

Oooh...n-no. No thank you.

It should look like Kentucky Route Zero, not...like that...

I wanted something more like this...

gsm_169_kentucky_route_zero_pc_gameplay_011113_shannon_960x540.jpg

teiresias

I still have the SegaCD version of the game sitting on my shelf that I've been meaning to play. This reminds me to get around to it.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I think people who played Flashback would prefer something closer to the third version. But if Flashback was made in 2013 and the original never existed it would probably look like the second version. That's my main point.

For example, the guy doesn't have a face in the original because they didn't have enough pixels for that. Not necessarily because they wanted a blank face dude as their lead because it looks cool.

majik13

loved the original, was a great companion game to Out of this World. Not sure how I feel about a remake. There is probabaly no point.

ArjanN

amazing!!! Hopefully PSN also means Vita

btw, i always thought flasback>>>> another world. The sequel was Fade to black wasn't it? was it any good ?

Flashback was good, but it was more "videogamey" than Another World, Another World had more cinematic flair and kept changing up the gameplay in almost every other scene, making it more of a puzzle game, while in Flashback the core gameplay was more like an traditional action platformer except with more realistic animation/physics.

Fade to Black was dissapointing IMO. That was back when developers were still figuring out controls/camera in 3D.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I think people who played Flashback would prefer something closer to the third version. But if Flashback was made in 2013 and the original never existed it would probably look like the second version. That's my main point.

Right, but the game has existed before and has a cult fanbase who still remembers the game as it was. The game market of today would take one look at the genericness of the 2013 looking flashback and throw it to the wayside as just another game. It's perfectly possible to do a game like it justice in a 3D environment, but the way it looks now simply is not it.

Also for the record, I loathe the 8bit pixelization trend and I still prefer the original/3rd panel. It just appeals far more.

majik13

For example, the guy doesn't have a face in the original because they didn't have enough pixels for that. Not necessarily because they wanted a blank face dude as their lead because it looks cool.

damn yes, now the 3rd one I could get behind. The current remake has no character and seems bland. If all they are doing is changing the presentation to that blandness, then I might as well just play the original.

Barryman

Like some else said, Flashback would look gorgeous if it was given the Out of this World/Another World HD remake. Higher-res rotoscoping and re-done hand drawn backgrounds.

This project reeks of a quick money grab, cashing in on fans' nostalgia.

It's technically impossible to give this game the Another World remake treatment. Another World's graphics were (almost) all polygons, so they could easily be scaled up to HD and still preserve smooth lines and such. Then of course there's the added detail to the remake which is extra work, but the point is that many of the exact same "low-res" assets are in the Another World remake. This wouldn't be possible for Flashback since it uses raster graphics, every single asset would need to be redone in HD.

Of course, I'd also rather see this game with 2D updated art, but the idea that they should just do exactly what was done for the Another World remake is just not possible.

Davey Cakes

I think we'll need to see more of the remake before passing proper judgment.

That said, I agree that Ubi could have gone in a direction more similar to Rayman Origins/Legends. Not exactly the same (because that would require a bit too much effort for a downloadable title) but close in terms of capturing the 2D feel while updating it to current standards.

Just translating 2D to 2.5D (or 3D on a 2D plane) doesn't always do the trick. Games don't work that way; they sometimes need a stylistic edge of some sort in order to keep their identity intact.

I don't like to overuse the term "generic" but honestly, that's how this looks to me. If this was earlier in the generation, like 2006, then maybe I wouldn't feel this way but we've seen many games get this treatment and now Flashback will just be "thrown in the pile."

nail on the head, how it looks IN MOTION, will make or break this game.

if it looks like any other 3d platformer, they don't "get it".

Yep, the animations from the original beat an overwhelming number of modern 3d games today. Everything looked and felt buttery smooth, from drawing your gun, rolling around and doing long jumps.

Kup

I played the hell out of the first hour of this game when I was younger.

I would turn it off for dinner then go back and start it all over again. It never got boring! Only when I was older did I play a little further and realise how rock-hard the game was.

It would be nice if they contained the original game's visuals behind the push of a button much like The Secret Of Monkey Island on Xbox LIVE Arcade.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Doesn't look good at all, but I'll wait with the full judgement until I see it in motion. Hopefully the gameplay stays true to the original. I hope this doesn't end up being a mad shoot'em up fest, with enemies coming all the time. I want it to be slow and adventury.

I always felt that Flashback is what a 2D Uncharted would look like. And before that, I saw Tomb Raider as a 3D Flashback.

Still, the game has to be pretty bad to not get a buy from me. Slow gameplay, where there's actually some sense of accomplishment when jumping and climbing on and off the platforms. Hopefully, it'll control almost exactly like the original, like Prince of Persia did. Though I don't like the laser, it makes me think there's analogue aiming. If you can aim and shoot in all directions, the gameplay will seriously suffer. I always felt like a badass when lowered myself and hanged from the ledge of one platform, jumped down, turns 180 and grabbed another platform. Or when I run quickly from one screen to another, jumped a gab, did a roll and pulled the gun and shot in one smooth move. This feeling is very important for the game and needs to be pulled off in the "updated" animations.

Alx

I always felt like a badass when lowered myself and hanged from the ledge of one platform, jumped down, turns 180 and grabbed another platform. Or when I run quickly from one screen to another, jumped a gab, did a roll and pulled the gun and shot in one smooth move. This feeling is very important for the game and needs to be pulled off in the "updated" animations.

Yeah, the way the different moves could follow each other was great. I remember one of my favorite moves was standing on a platform with an enemy on a lower level, get your gun out of the holster, slowly walk over the ledge to fall in a crouching position and shoot, all in a single motion. Surprise !
The best part to appreciate the controls was at the very end,
when you had to trigger the self-destruction and run through all the traps back to your escape pod.
Of course it's less difficult once you realize that you can
leave the teleporter at the beginning of the level, and instantly reach the exit once you trigger the bomb. :D

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Will it include the original? Or is there a PC port of the original? I've always wanted to play it. There was an iphone port and I tried the demo... yeah. No physical buttons killed it.

The 2D fan version above is the remake I would buy. I understand why they went with 3D but that's going to result in lost interest and sales.

ronito

I like Flashback as much any other Flashback fan but I'm not entirely convinced just how well the trial and error gameplay will translate to today's day and age.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
PC version if you can run it.

Not Amiga? I never played the PC version, but the Amige version is fantastic, both in sounds and graphics. Then again, it came out pretty late in the Amigas life.

EDIT: only other version I tried was the SNES version, but the sounds were just bad. I seriously doubt the Genesis version was better.

I like Flashback as much any other Flashback fan but I'm not entirely convinced just how well the trial and error gameplay will translate to today's day and age.

What trial and error? I can't remember much of that, and I played it not long ago (although didn't progress further than the first parts of the third or fourth level). It's much more a game that rewards you for being careful rather than a game that punishes you for stuff that you couldn't possible know.

jett

D-Member
Not Amiga? I never played the PC version, but the Amige version is fantastic, both in sounds and graphics. Then again, it came out pretty late in the Amigas life.

EDIT: only other version I tried was the SNES version, but the sounds were just bad. I seriously doubt the Genesis version was better.

What trial and error? I can't remember much of that, and I played it not long ago (although didn't progress further than the first parts of the third or fourth level). It's much more a game that rewards you for being careful rather than a game that punishes you for stuff that you couldn't possible know.

Genesis version.

I know the PC version has some extra scenes compared to Amiga, nothing major though. The SNES version has a lot of slowdown during cut-scenes, Genesis probably has the edge on consoles.

Any is fine, really,I grew up playing it on SNES.

Andrew.

Banned
Any is fine, really,I grew up playing it on SNES.

I first played it on the SNES and didn't realize the drastic slowdown until I picked up the Sega version. The speed difference made it miles better in my opinion. The only thing that wasn't up to par was the music and sound effects.

That looks really bad... :-/
Come on Ubisoft, it is possible to get something closer to the original. They are not even trying, it seems like the word "generic" was created for this game.

ronito

Oh I don't know about that. Check out the Kacho's play through on Game Center CX there's a bunch of stuff that you have to keep trying to do over and over again until you get it right.

I guess it depends on your tastes, but I'm by no means a hardcore old school, and on a recent replay, I thought the game held up with the best of the 16 bit era. In fact, small touches like character interaction and inventory systems, made it feel oddly modern - kind of blew my mind.

what platform had the best version of Flashback? Weren't there kinda substantial graphical and sound differences for all of them?

Genesis for White t-shirt Conrad - none of this pink shirt bullshit from the SNES version.

Flashback! Oh man I am going to faint. The graphics absolutely melted my brain when I played this game.

lol This was exactly how i reacted when I saw the thread title. There's still hope.

Top Bottom