• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida GOP Megadonor Pledges $2 Million to Defeat Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

http://www.politico.com/states/flor...illion-for-hispanic-voter-registration-105631

Mike Fernandez, the billionaire heavyweight Republican donor who says he’s voting for Democrat Hillary Clinton because he loathes Donald Trump, says he’s ready to spend as much as $2 million to an unspecified nonprofit to help register new Hispanic voters in Florida and turn them out in the election.

In giving the money, Fernandez doesn’t have to support the Democrat directly. But he knows that, for every 10 new Latinos registered to vote, at least six will probably vote against Trump. If polling trends hold and black and Latino voters turnout relative to their current registration numbers, strategists say, Clinton is likely to win Florida and therefore the White House.

“As a lifelong Republican, I cannot support a Party I no longer recognize,” Fernandez wrote in an email, saying he could not understand how the GOP “could not distance itself from a man who has taken such liberties with the facts that calling him a liar would not suffice.”

Fernandez — who backed Gov. Jeb Bush’s presidential bid this cycle with his own millions and has supported comprehensive immigration reform plans that Trump has trashed — said that he has never met Hillary Clinton.

“She is far from perfect but benign in comparison to Trump,” said Fernandez. “I specially call on all Latinos to reject a man who encourages violence against you [as] he has done in Iowa and other places.”
Hispanics account for more than 15 percent of Florida’s 12.4 million registered voters and they’re the fastest-growing major demographic group, in part, because of a mammoth influx of Puerto Rican voters moving to Central Florida from the island. In some polls, Puerto Rican voters favor Clinton by 50 points or more over Trump.

Fernandez also criticized Trump’s recent decision to re-embrace a hardline on the Cuban embargo. Fernandez, a Cuban-American immigrant who became a health-industry billionaire, once favored the embargo but says it has outlived its usefulness.

“As to my Cuban American community, how many more times have politicians told you what you wanted to hear and then did nothing? It's happening again,” Fernandez said. “This man is taking you and America down the same path of disappointment that you have lived for 60 years.”

Sephzilla

giphy.gif

Lime

But isn't racism part and parcel of the GOP even before Trump? He seems to be the logical conclusion of the proto-fascism of the Republicans

Miles X

But isn't racism part and parcel of the GOP even before Trump? He seems to be the logical conclusion of the proto-fascism of the Republicans

Largely, I don't think you can call all republicans racism at their core tho. It's bad they support a party that condones it, so they should be shamed for that, but a lot of republicans are fiscally conservative hence they support GOP, I mean, there are a lot of black Republicans.

zethren

Banned
Awesome, encouraging people to register to vote is a very good use of money.

Also stopping Trump is a very good use of money.

Surfinn

Another life long GOP supporter wants Trump to lose.

Their party is in complete shambles.. wow. How was this guy their candidate? Of all people?

RPGCrazied

See, not all GOP are bad. They're actually sane ones. But look who is leading them now. It couldn't have been a more vile person.

Another life long GOP supporter wants Trump to lose.

Their party is in complete shambles.. wow. How was this guy their candidate? Of all people?

he took a bunch of ideas that were just marketing fluff to the party establishment and made them his core values, so the people who were only onboard with the party for those things liked him better than the candidates who've been paying them lipservice for a few decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom