• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Food-poisoning Age (or, holy shit kill me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hold on to your butt! Food poisoning is awful.

Listen to your body and don't 'force' yourself to eat or drink anything.

For drinking, a good plan is to use the 3rd world 'home made' version of oral rehydration mix. Mix 6 teaspoons of sugar, half a teaspoon of salt in 1 litre of water.
It's about the right mix to keep you well-hydrated, provide a bit of energy and stop any salt/electrolyte problems. Don't expect miracles, but it should might slightly improve your recovery.
Don't chug too much (2 litres should easily last you for a day of the shits, you won't get seriously dehydrated by one bout of food poisoning. A glass (250 ml, not a pint) taken 15 minutes after a vomiting session is about right.

Eating stuff that can easily be thrown up again is a good idea too (if the idea of eating doesn't make you feel nauseous). Being sick when there's nothing left in your stomach feels awful. Bannanas and yogurts are always good and won't make your throat feel like you've drunk gasoline if/when it comes back up again.

For meds, just take ibuprofen and/or paracetamol - unless you get advice from a real doctor.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, and have never even played one on TV.

Avoid taking stuff that stops you shitting or vomiting IMO. While this will obviously make you feel worse, your body needs to expel whatever it's rejecting for a reason.

As everyone else has said though, drink plenty of fluids and try and alternated between water+vitamin tablets and some sports drinks/isotonic to reintroduce vitamins and salts to the body that you are currently expelling.

____

Man I've only had it once but it was comparable to death in the form of nonstop projectile vomit and ass explosion.

Even the tiniest sip of liquid would in turn force me to immediately expel half a gallon of bile from my already empty stomach.

I remember being curled up in fetal position on the floor in my room thinking I'm probably at the most vulnerable I've ever been. The worst man.

AP90

Water and some pedialyte/generic electrolyte infused liquids.

It gets better.. Takes time. Hang in there op!

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hey GAF,

I got food poisoning from my dinner last night. I'm vomiting and shitting like every fifteen minutes and have been for about an hour now. I took some anti nausea meds because I want this to end. Are there any other ways to help with this?

Ah, not fun.

Alas from experience the only thing you can do is take anti diarhea medication, drink plenty of water and wait it out. Preferably near a toilet/bucket.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I dont know why people are saying hold onto your butt. You're just going to get shit all over it that way.

I had food poisoning back to back within 2 weeks. The second time was so bad it lasted several days and I contemplated calling an ambulance. I experienced flu-like symptoms throughout the ordeal and couldn't remember what being well was like anymore. Food poisoning is no joke :( I should have thrown up sooner. What a relief afterwards.

Water is not enough if it's really bad. You need sports drinks for electrolyte refresh. If you know someone who can help, tell them to get your Vitamin water or Gatorage. Not Monster.

Gatorage G1 is what I recommend. Heck even Pedialyte will do.

rashbeep

Banned
icAUGL.gif

This was me for pretty much a day (without the nosebleeds)

Small sips of water to calm your stomach is nice, but as someone above pointed out Gatorade is good for electrolyte balance.

Alebrije

Drink water and add some lemon juice an salt , or get Gatorade.

Vomiting is good but excessive one is dangerous.

daveo42

Banned
Drink plenty of water and let it run its course. It's gonna suck for about 12-24 hours and then you should be in the clear. After it does pass, probably stick to liquids in the case that your stomach is still uneasy.

KoopaTheCasual

I'm actually really impressed that you were able to write a post on NeoGaf, with food poisoning.

It's probably the single most debilitating illness I've ever experienced. Everything hurts, everything leaks, and your mind can't focus on a goddamn thing.

G-Bus

Banned
Got sick few months ago from really old, frozen breakfast sausage.

I've never been so sick in my life. I tried a lot od different things to stop the vomiting and nothing worked. Last resorted to.smoking a quick bowl to curb the nause a and it worked for about an hour and then.. yea.

Drink lots of water and rest the best you can. About all you can do.

Man I've only had it once but it was comparable to death in the form of nonstop projectile vomit and ass explosion.

Even the tiniest sip of liquid would in turn force me to immediately expel half a gallon of bile from my already empty stomach.

I remember being curled up in fetal position on the floor in my room thinking I'm probably at the most vulnerable I've ever been. The worst man.

accurate to my experience as well.

Forget water, drink Gatorade etc that tastes good coming back up, it will help

Will double this advice as well. Though I used powerade

Hey GAF,

I got food poisoning from my dinner last night. I'm vomiting and shitting like every fifteen minutes and have been for about an hour now. I took some anti nausea meds because I want this to end. Are there any other ways to help with this?

As someone who had food poisoning not too long ago the best thing is to drink water. The issue is that you will end up throwing it up if you drink too much. Take small sips until you're throwing up less frequently or has stopped completely. Gatorade will help too with it's electrolytes.

Shizza

Get some Pedialyte. You'll feel much better.

Stick to bland, easy to digest foods: Bananas, apple sauce, rice, toast.

Avoid fats/proteins like peanut butter, avocado, dairy.

Get some sleep if you can.

gaiages

Banned
I'm sorry man, food poisoning is the worst, really.

I had food poisoning a few months ago, it was the worst experience. I couldn't even keep water down for half the day... thankfully by mid afternoon I was able to keep liquids down though, I was worried I would have to go to the hospital if I couldn't even drink anything D:

All you can do is tough is out, unfortunately.

ccbfan

I've had 2 major food poisoning episodes in my life.

One from scallops and one from lettuce.

Both time it was basically anything I consumed it came out of my butthole in less than half an hour.

Tried Gatorade, Pedialyte, Imodium AD, Pepto. Nothing worked until my parents gave me some
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XW1728/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Shit was amazing stopped my diarhia and kept liquid in me and the next day I felt much better. Normally I scoff at "alternative medicine" but this was like magic pills. I always have some in my house now.

Apt101

Hey GAF,

I feel for you. I got it when I was 19 from a little diner in North Carolina. They had to hook me up to an IV overnight, and I was drinking Pedialyte for days. Liquid diet. I was shitting water every three hours for two days.

SomTervo

Ask someone to pick up rehydration sachets from a pharmacist for you

All you need is water, salts and sugars. Keep putting rehydration saches into pints of water and drinking it all.

Otherwise it will get worse and you'll get really sick

Requiem

Ate sushi a couple years ago and had the same thing happen to me. Pissing out of your ass is a novel feeling.

As others have said, just drink as much water as possible to stay hydrated. Might also be helpful to drink some broth as you're also losing a ton of electrolytes and that can contribute to how you're feeling. If you're able to eat, crackers, bread, bananas and generally starchy foods should be your go to.

accurate to my experience as well.

Will double this advice as well. Though I used powerade

Yes, PowerAde, Gatorade, any sports drink that DOES NOT have a shitload of Caffeine.

READ THIS AND PAY ATTENTION: THIS GOES TO ALL:

Do not consume high caffeine like Monster or other energy drinks when suffering from food poison. You can get a heart attack or stroke because your body is so weak. My friend died this way at 23.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Hey guys, I'm miserable. :(

Hung out a friend's house yesterday and he made burgers. He made them too thick and when I broke mine in half to test it it was very pink inside, almost red. I stupidly didn't want to hurt his feelings so I ate the outside edges only and threw away the middle. Big mistake.

Woke up this morning vomiting, first time went all over the floor because I was unprepared. Used the bathroom on myself twice (!) and am basically peeing out of my butt. I think I've expelled half a gallon of liquid so far.

I'll never eat something just to avoid hurting someone's feelings again.

Ekdrm2d1

Hung out a friend's house yesterday and he made burgers. He made them too thick and when I broke mine in half to test it it was very pink inside, almost red. I stupidly didn't want to hurt his feelings so I ate the outside edges only and threw away the middle. Big mistake.

Woke up this morning vomiting, first time went all over the floor because I was unprepared. Used the bathroom on myself twice (!) and am basically peeing out of my butt. I think I've expelled half a gallon of liquid so far.

Sorry to hear that fam. Hope you feel better soon!

Wonder if weed would comfort food poisoning. Well at least the nausea/vomiting part.

enjoy the inadvertent weight loss and drink lots of water. food posioning is horrible and i'm sorry you have it.

it thankfully doesn't last very long and isn't that serious in terms of long term damage, so you've just gotta ride it out.

Dazza

Get some Pedialyte. You'll feel much better.

Stick to bland, easy to digest foods: Bananas, apple sauce, rice, toast.

Avoid fats/proteins like peanut butter, avocado, dairy.

Get some sleep if you can.

BRAT diet yo. Avoiding fats a good idea. Even not eating altogether is fine.

Hydration salts are better than sports drinks which generally have too much in the way of carbohydrates(you can water them down by half). If you're in a state where even drinking makes you vomit try a hydration solution without any carbs and only take small sips which you leave in your mouth for a while rather than swallowing straight away.

I've had 2 major food poisoning episodes in my life.

One from scallops and one from lettuce.

Both time it was basically anything I consumed it came out of my butthole in less than half an hour.

Tried Gatorade, Pedialyte, Imodium AD, Pepto. Nothing worked until my parents gave me some
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002XW1728/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Shit was amazing stopped my diarhia and kept liquid in me and the next day I felt much better. Normally I scoff at "alternative medicine" but this was like magic pills. I always have some in my house now.

This stuff is the bomb, you should be able to get something similar from any Asian supermarket. Activated charcoal also works wonders depending on the type of infection and is easier to obtain.

Lol, he better be treating you for a while for putting you through this

zeemumu

Got food poisoning from gumbo once. I locked myself in the bathroom and was basically at Kratos levels of irritability

Hey GAF,

Gatorade👍, I've only had food poisoning once and it was because I decided to eat a rib sandwich from an AMPM gas station. I haven't and won't ever buy hot food from a gas station again.

Lakitu

st5fu
Just have to see it through. I had Dioralytes to replace the electrolytes that I was losing and some anti-sickness pills to help with the nausea but some say not to take them as if you are feeling nauseous it means it wants to leave your body.

Just have plenty of water and try to eat something even though it's very difficult. I liked to have dry toast but it felt so hard to eat so I dipped it into some warm milk.

SeanC

It'll probably put you under for a few days. First 24 is the worst, you have to ride it out, then slowly start coming back - ginger ale always helps me along with some peach juice then I start eating actual food.

SuperOrez

I remember getting food poisoning from a chicken sandwich at Wendys. At one point I closed my eyes and just accepted that I was going to die. It was such a weird feeling. Once it started to cool down the only thing that tasted good was a fountain gatorade.

LordKasual

Banned
Hey GAF,

Water is your best friend and only answer :(

buy some vitamin supplements or something afterwards

Piggus

I got food poising in Peru on a charter bus and baaarrreeely made it back to my gf's apartment in time for the shittin' and pukin' to take hold. I couldn't keep any food down for two days and could only keep water down after a day of spewing from both ends every 20 minutes. One of the most awful experiences I've ever had. Don't eat food on a charter bus in a developing country!

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
made the mistake of taking a few bites out of a move theater slice of pizza that looked like it was sitting out for a week... the next few days I felt like the end was truly nigh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom