• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football (Soccer) has so much potential in North America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sony

Nintendo
This stuff is honestly why I don't watch soccer. I get all excited during the big games (like with the World Cup), but the instant a player flops, I'm completely taken out of it. It's completely ridiculous and I wish they implemented some sort of ban. However, it seems to be so deeply ingrained and apparently fans have no problems with it.

Completely depends on the preson.

ForkedImaginaryBettong.gif

DE1fO.gif

But I do agree that a certain class is lost once the generation of Xavi/Iniesta/Puyol/Raul/Pirlo is gone

Dazzler

I don't understand the obsession with soccer breaking into the big four sports in the US

It does absolutely fine around the world without America. It's the biggest sport on earth and anyone who advocates making changes to it to make it more "US Friendly" is living in a dream world

Football has deep foundations based on political, religious, social and regional aspects. It's a phenomenon that you can't simply replicate from scratch.

Funnily enough, the most popular league in the world (the pl) is the one that has diluted more and more the identity of their own clubs (real and barça are also on the same track though). So, as a spectacle there's obviously a huge product to export to US.

TheGrue

How do people feel about the MLS in general?

Let me tell you my MLS story. I live in Colorado (didn't grow up here, but moved here about 9 years ago). I grew up watching NFL and MLB and also went to LSU, so was big into SEC football. I used to watch a ton of baseball in college and through the 2000s and just kind of fell off of it because there are too many games and the games are usually 3 hours long.

In 2011, my wife was out of town and so on a whim I took my kids to see Colorado play Portland in the season opener (was the very first Portland Timbers game). I was instantly hooked and called about season tickets. They weren't outrageous and so I became a season ticket member for the rest of the season and have been ever since.

In the years since, I have stopped watching football (both NFL and college) all together because it's so boring compared to soccer (and because I really fell off the NFL a couple years ago when they really didn't do much in regards to their image regarding domestic violence). Also, the whole thing takes 2 hours, including half time, so it's over much quicker.

I attend all the games (usually 17 of them) throughout March through October, regardless of how the Rapids are doing. The two years before this were pretty bad, but this year has been amazing since we went from second worst in MLS to second best).

I am very envious of the atmospheres in Portland and Seattle, though. Those places are amazing and I do with our stadium had the electricity that those places do, but I love my Rapids.

For those who hate the ads on the jerseys, there are no breaks in soccer and I'll take the ads on shirts over a boner pill or beer commercial every 5 minutes.

There's not too bad of flopping in MLS (it happens), but I've also come to realize that those shoes have spikes on them and taking one on your leg probably doesn't feel very pleasant.

v1lla21

I feel like people in the US don't really care about the MLS/ soccer for a multitude of reasons.

1. MLS regular season takes a bit longer when compared to other American sports.

2. MLS isn't the best league nor does it have the best players in the world.

3. Soccer isn't as high scoring as the other sports.

4. This kind of ties in with #3 but Soccer isn't instantly gratifying.

I try to watch the MLS as often as possible but I haven't been keeping up with sports much these last two years. I feel that if the MLS would shorten its season and follow a format similar to that of Liga MX it would make people more interested. There'd be fewer games but more championships. People would eat that shit up like they do in Mexico.

KDR_11k

The key reason the US plays weak soccer is apparently that it costs too much money for amateurs there. Only middleclass or higher kids can afford to play regularly in a club, thus missing out on the potential of poor kids. Since the predisposition to become a great player isn't tied to class that means the US loses a lot of its recruiting pool as poor kids simply never get to play and get scouted. Other countries have a much better infrastructure for finding and nurturing players with potential.

Lunar15

I'd almost peg it as an inevitability at some point. Sure, our generation is still pretty locked up with Football and our love for it, but as kids start being less interested in it, along with their parents who are afraid of injury, you're going to start to see a talent shift.

Plus, advertising is abysmal during football right now.

Google

3. Soccer isn't as high scoring as the other sports.

Like, why is this even a thing thrown around as an actual argument?

Sure, there's more scoring in Basketball, but it happens so frequently that scoring a 2-point layup is not particularly special nor is it a cause for massive celebration.

There's so much happening in Soccer at any one time. The attacking play and moves leading up to a scoring opportunity mixed with the defensive positioning and skill of the defending team. It's a game of chess at the very highest levels (much like basketball) and less about specific athleticism or skill. Everyone is athletic. Everyone is skilled. It's the mixture of the two with the ability to communicate and plan accordingly.

This is why the MLS is not as good as the rest of the world. Athleiticism and skill reign supreme here. A fast, strong player who can finish will score easily here (look at BWP) but in Europe, the other team is also strong and fast AND well drilled on how to handle someone.

This is the major difference right now.

Google

The key reason the US plays weak soccer is apparently that it costs too much money for amateurs there. Only middleclass or higher kids can afford to play regularly in a club, thus missing out on the potential of poor kids. Since the predisposition to become a great player isn't tied to class that means the US loses a lot of its recruiting pool as poor kids simply never get to play and get scouted. Other countries have a much better infrastructure for finding and nurturing players with potential.

What the fuck are you talking about?

To play soccer for a team in the US you need a pair of boots and enough money to register for the team...

How does that differ to rec Basketball (where you need a pair of shoes and enough money to register) or Baseball (where you need shoes, bats, helmets, gloves, etc) or Hockey (Where you need ice time, skates, pads, helmets, etc) and Football (boots, helmets, pads, etc.)

Sony

Nintendo
Lmao what is happening here? I can tell Puyol's the team captain but what is he ordering around?

First gif, Real Madrid had a corner and Pique was bitching that someone threw a lighter at him. Puyol was like piss off you sissy and go cover your target.

Second gif, Barca were leading 0-4 against Rayo and Barca just scored the 0-5. Alves and Tiago started celebrating by this stupid dance that you simply don't do to a weaker opponent, it belittling. So Puyol stopped their dance and was like piss off be professional.

Realeza

Banned
Let me tell you my MLS story. I live in Colorado (didn't grow up here, but moved here about 9 years ago). I grew up watching NFL and MLB and also went to LSU, so was big into SEC football. I used to watch a ton of baseball in college and through the 2000s and just kind of fell off of it because there are too many games and the games are usually 3 hours long.

In 2011, my wife was out of town and so on a whim I took my kids to see Colorado play Portland in the season opener (was the very first Portland Timbers game). I was instantly hooked and called about season tickets. They weren't outrageous and so I became a season ticket member for the rest of the season and have been ever since.

In the years since, I have stopped watching football (both NFL and college) all together because it's so boring compared to soccer (and because I really fell off the NFL a couple years ago when they really didn't do much in regards to their image regarding domestic violence). Also, the whole thing takes 2 hours, including half time, so it's over much quicker.

I attend all the games (usually 17 of them) throughout March through October, regardless of how the Rapids are doing. The two years before this were pretty bad, but this year has been amazing since we went from second worst in MLS to second best).

I am very envious of the atmospheres in Portland and Seattle, though. Those places are amazing and I do with our stadium had the electricity that those places do, but I love my Rapids.

For those who hate the ads on the jerseys, there are no breaks in soccer and I'll take the ads on shirts over a boner pill or beer commercial every 5 minutes.

There's not too bad of flopping in MLS (it happens), but I've also come to realize that those shoes have spikes on them and taking one on your leg probably doesn't feel very pleasant.

That's pretty cool to read. About how many people on average go to home Rapids games? You guys have Tim Howard, amazing keeper.

Lmao what is happening here? I can tell Puyol's the team captain but what is he ordering around?

Somebody one time threw a lighter at Pique, as he tried to show the ref, Puyol took it from his hands, threw it away and made him focus on the game instead.

Basically telling him to suck it up. I think Pique ended up being man of the match that game.

First gif, Real Madrid had a corner and Pique was bitching that someone threw a lighter at him. Puyol was like piss off you sissy and go cover your target.

Second gif, Barca were leading 0-4 against Rayo and Barca just scored the 0-5. Alves and Tiago started celebrating by this stupid dance that you simply don't do to a weaker opponent, it belittling. So Puyol stopped their dance and was like piss off be professional.

What a class act Puyol was. He's not playing anymore is he? If we had more players like Puyol soccer would be a better sport. I remember reading somewhere that the first thing he did when he got his first Barcelona paycheck (i.e. big fat numbers) wasn't spent in blow and hookers like many lesser players do, but to buy a house for his parents.

Like I said. Class act.

Xando

Can't really see it getting as big as in Europe since most star players won't go to the US because they aren't competing against the best unless MLS is somehow added to the champions league (who knows with uefa).

KDR_11k

What the fuck are you talking about?

To play soccer for a team in the US you need a pair of boots and enough money to register for the team...

How does that differ to rec Basketball (where you need a pair of shoes and enough money to register) or Baseball (where you need shoes, bats, helmets, gloves, etc) or Hockey (Where you need ice team, skates, pads, helmets, etc) and Football (boots, helmets, pads, etc.)

I dunno but the US manages to make soccer expensive.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/jun/01/us-soccer-diversity-problem-world-football

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/19/alianz-de-futbol-hispano-latinos-soccer

TheGrue

That's pretty cool to read. About how many people on average go to home Rapids games? You guys have Tim Howard, amazing keeper.

I believe the stadium holds about 18K and attendance just varies. We played the Quakes the other week on a Thursday and attendance looked pretty poor. March and April games can have snow and so that obviously affects attendance. If it's a weekend and the weather is nice, that's usually when things are fairly full, at least this year. If they're not doing well, even that won't fill the seats.

Sony

Nintendo
What a class act Puyol was. He's not playing anymore is he? If we had more players like Puyol soccer would be a better sport. I remember reading somewhere that the first thing he did when he got his first Barcelona paycheck (i.e. big fat numbers) wasn't spent in blow and hookers like many lesser players do, but to buy a house for his parents.

Like I said. Class act.

Definitely.

Qatar getting the WC over us shows that this simply won't happen anytime soon. FIFA isn't even remotely subtle about how corrupt they are.

Nah FIFA committee ruled out Europe and Asia for 2026 and 2030 is most certainly going to be In South America (100th anniversary of the first World Cup in Uruguay) so it's pretty much all but guaranteed to be in North America for 2026. Now the question is does the US get it outright or is it shared between us/Canada, us/mexico or us/Canada/mexico

The US is among the group of countries that can handle the world Cup effectively without having to spend as much money on the infrastructure. Hopefully we eventually get a world cup back here.

In order for it to really take off the standard of their domestic league needs to improve rapidly. It's genuinely terrible and they need to shift their focus from throwing ridiculous money at finished players towards buying genuinely good, young footballers. It is feasible, as you can see with recent developments in the chinese league. Players are going there in their prime from top leagues.

I don't think the US style franchising system works for a sport as competitive as footballer either. America is a big place that could support absolutely loads of teams and leagues, but without relegation losing doesn't matter much.

Qatar getting the WC over us shows that this simply won't happen anytime soon. FIFA isn't even remotely subtle about how corrupt they are.
US should get 2026. FIFA isn't accepting bids from Europe and Asia. It may be a joint bid, though, with potentially Canada and/or Mexico.

Edit: dat MLS-GAF hivemind.

In order for it to really take off the standard of their domestic league needs to improve rapidly. It's genuinely terrible and they need to shift their focus from throwing ridiculous money at finished players towards buying genuinely good, young footballers. It is feasible, as you can see with recent developments in the chinese league. Players are going there in their prime from top leagues.

I don't think the US style franchising system works for a sport as competitive as footballer either. America is a big place that could support absolutely loads of teams and leagues, but without relegation losing doesn't matter much.
Without the franchise system, it probably wouldn't have made it 20 years as it has. We already had an implosion back in the 80s due to many factors, but MLS was not looking to revisit those days. They've also had to defend the single-entity system in court (see Fraser v. Major League Soccer). If anything, they may expand into regional groupings beyond the existing conferences, but that's a long ways off.

Dartastic

The atmosphere in this stadium (Century Link Field) is amazing. From the crowds, the tifos, the before-the-game shows, it's all world-class.
Breh, Sounders TIFO aren't even anywhere near our level. This is what you show up with to our rivalry with? Pshhhhh. :p

rickrolling.jpg

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...-the-worst-ever-the-internet-thinks-so-082216

/bantz

Seriously though, it does have a ton of potential. I love going to Timbers games. It's so much more fun to participate in the chants, the emotions, the... everything in person as compared to TV. The quality of play needs to improve some more, and in order to do that we need to be able to pay the lower tier players increased salaries instead of relying on three huge dollar signings.

In regards to atmosphere, you should come down here for a rivalry game next year. Providence Park is even better than Century Link IMO, bias aside.

So glad someone posted this lol

Without the franchise system, it probably wouldn't have made it 20 years as it has. We already had an implosion back in the 80s due to many factors, but MLS was not looking to revisit those days. They've also had to defend the single-entity system in court (see Fraser v. Major League Soccer). If anything, they may expand into regional groupings beyond the existing conferences, but that's a long ways off.

Thing is, you really need to make it more competitive to improve the general standard of football. There are non-professional clubs in England that could comfortably compete in the MLS. I really do hope America takes to football and it's good to see an increase in interest. We've signed Yedlin and he's been great so far, but sometimes he looks like he's had to be taught how to play since he came here.

Breh, Sounders TIFO aren't even anywhere near our level. This is what you show up with to our rivalry with? Pshhhhh. :p

rickrolling.jpg

http://www.foxsports.com/soccer/sto...-the-worst-ever-the-internet-thinks-so-082216

/bantz

Seriously though, it does have a ton of potential. I love going to Timbers games. It's so much more fun to participate in the chants, the emotions, the... everything in person as compared to TV. The quality of play needs to improve some more, and in order to do that we need to be able to pay the lower tier players increased salaries instead of relying on three huge dollar signings.

In regards to atmosphere, you should come down here for a rivalry game next year. Providence Park is even better than Century Link IMO, bias aside.

I will second this.

I highly doubt it will be on the same level as anything in Europe or even close to it.

Does it need to be?

Thing is, you really need to make it more competitive to improve the general standard of football. There are non-professional clubs in England that could comfortably compete in the MLS. I really do hope America takes to football and it's good to see an increase in interest. We've signed Yedlin and he's been great so far, but sometimes he looks like he's had to be taught how to play since he came here.
They definitely do need to throw more money at things overall, though I think it's just as Dartastic is saying, the bottom needs to be higher, to pay the lower tier guys. If an MLS player has a shot at a Championship level side, he'll get paid significantly more, and we need to shrink that gap.

Edit: And to add to that, under the new Collective Bargaining Agreement, the average salary of senior roster players (non-designated players) should be near $200,000 by 2019.

What exactly are you adding to this conversation, dude?

You clearly hate Soccer and it's growth in the US but the fact is among 12 to 17-year-olds, MLS is now more popular than MLB. In fact, among that age group only basketball is more popular.

At this point there are MLS teams that draw larger crowds that second tier English clubs, which represents a massive step forwards.

The old participation argument from the 1970s. It wasn't true then and I see no reason to believe it's true now. Increased youth participation does not lead to increased popularity in terms of consumption.

Akiraptor

in 50 years, basketball will be a more important global sport than soccer.

Not entirely sure if it'll be more "important" necessarily, but basketball will definitely catch up with soccer in the 21st century. As the world becomes more urbanized, basketball's appeal will grow. It's already happening in China.

Dartastic

Without reading all of the comments in the thread, I think I already know what they consist of. People don't like flopping, and people find the game boring. The first one is easy, at least in regards to MLS.

MLS really don't allow much of that shit. The games are far more physical than you'll see in other top leagues most of the time. The reasoning for this is generally due to the skill difference; we don't have players anywhere near the level of Messi, Ronaldo, etc. However, this also changes the way the game is played; play can still be skillful however flopping is far, far less prevalent because it takes far more to draw a foul usually.

In regards to the game being boring, I think it comes down to learning more about the way the game is played. Part of the reason why I love soccer is because I understand the way the game is played. I understand the importance of formations, and movement, and how tactics change when a team is up a goal. It really does change things a lot because instead of thinking "lol wtf why aren't these guys scoring more" it becomes more like chess. The tempo of the game changes, the positions change, the way the ball moves around changes.

All of this is made more interesting due to the fact that play almost never, ever stops. Instead of Football, where you have minutes of nothing in between plays regularly, or basketball, where points ultimately mean less because they are scored so often, or baseball, where... nothing happens at all (lol) everything is constantly in motion. The whistle blows, and for the next 45ish minutes, the game just... goes, with a 15 minute break and another 45ish minute half, then it ends. And when a goal is scored, it MEANS something. It's important, and it can happen from fucking NOWHERE. I HATE the "they don't score enough for me" argument because in other games, scoring doesn't really mean nearly as much. Basketball you can basically ignore the first 3 quarters in regards to scoring. If you made Football points equal to soccer, a 7 point drive would be a 1 point drive, and scores would be much more in line from what you see in soccer. Plus like, knowing that I can watch a game for two hours then go about my day is great also.

Anyway. Watch the next FC Dallas game. They're a great team, potentially even historic if they can win the MLS Cup, and will probably put on a good show.

More people should watch Hockey instead. It's like faster, higher scoring Soccer where people body check and fight each other. Haha.

There's nowt wrong with football/soccer, it's the world game after all, but the GOAT always was and always will be cricket. What other sport can you sit and watch for FIVE DAYS for one game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom