• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Jerry

I have a horrible deja-vu feeling that Spurs are going to get an inury blow pre-season and then we'll panic buy someone (Barkley) for way too much money who will flop.

I saw a good point about the way City have done their business. The fact they got it done early means that they get first pick over who's available and it means the teams they bought from (e.g. Monaco) are less likely to sell their other players to other teams.

Sure Levy gets (generally) gets good deals but by leaving it late it means we are limiting ourselves to a smaller pool of available players

Its great to see a decent keeper at City again. Think Ederson has saved more in pre-season than Bravo did all season. Same for the wingers it makes a big difference, liked to see KdB testing their speed at chasing down balls. Not a single one of those that were picked up would normally have been won by the old wing backs. Still quite away off match speed especially the attack but nice to actually beat Real Madrid for once even though they look even further off match fitness, just a shame I don't watch them enough to see what they were experimenting with.

spidye

So pep guardiola nearly paid 1 billion euro for new players during his spell at barca, bayern and city

500m of that since last summer

What
The
Fuck

Dammit. I knew I was taking a high risk strategy.

What the hell happened to Mandada(?)? Came with a decent reputation I thought.

Mandada? Not sure really. He did look good in the few matches he played for us, but then he got himself injured. And the rumours after that, as to why he didn't get into the match day squads after that were either:

1. Something about a future payment depending on appearences. Don't think that's likely.
2. Something about how he handled his injury, and that he apparently went for some alternative treatment without telling the club.

Palace doesn't have a history of freezing out players like this, unless they really played themselves out of the squads by repeated poor performances (like Jordon Mutch now), so there seems to have been something exceptional that happened in this case.

That said, neither him or Wayne Hehnessy has felt like distinct upgrades on club legend Julian Speroni, so supporters are still screaming for Speroni to get the nod again, despite his age.

GHG

So pep guardiola nearly paid 1 billion euro for new players during his spell at barca, bayern and city

500m of that since last summer

What
The
Fuck

But he's such a good coach.

I'm yet to see him make an average player look good. That's the true mark of a top manager. When Fergie was winning titles with fodder like Wes Brown and O'Shea and Wenger with the likes of Pascal Cygan.

Meanwhile Pep spends the GDP of a small country on defenders and his defence is still shit.

He arrives at Man City and is all like "Aguero isn't good enough". It's a joke that people rate him so highly. It's easy to play good football when you fill the park with expensive attacking talent.

I'm yet to see him make an average player look good. That's the true mark of a top manager. When Fergie was winning titles with fodder like Wes Brown and O'Shea and Wenger with the likes of Pascal Cygan.

Meanwhile Pep spends the GDP of a small country on defenders and his defence is still shit.

He arrives at Man City and is all like "Aguero isn't good enough". It's a joke that people rate him so highly. It's easy to play good football when you fill the park with expensive attacking talent.

Which is why I don't rate him or Mourinho.

Which is why I don't rate him or Mourinho.

Mourinho won with small teams. The Champions league with Porto and Inter (granted, Inter was pretty sick at the time) and the Europa League with ManU.

And with his big clubs, Chelsea and Real, he also managed to win. Pep has done jackshit with City.

Rafa Benitez should've been knighted after leading a squad with Igor Biscan, Djimi Traore, Scott Carson, Josemi, Nunez and let's not forget the heroes Neil Mellor and Florent Sinama Pongolle to the Champions League title.

No different than any manager at a club with money. Fergie only ever used players that fit his mould, he continually broke transfer records throughout his career. He got rid of many top quality players because they wanted to challenge his ego or didn't like them anymore. It also took him a good while to build a squad to his standards before they became good and cost a fuck load at the time. If it wasn't for City and Chelsea coming in and spending mega money to build a squads that could compete he would have spent way more than any other club by a big margin.

Some were slating Barkley a few pages back but he is a player that would have excelled under Fergie as he has the skills to do the job he wanted and that is how he always used his players. He looked for specific skills rather than full rounded ability. He didn't go for players like David Silva because his team structures always required a player that would often be more defensive and power focused. Same reason Mouriniho has often got rid of creative players in that role such as Guti or KdB because they don't suit his game even though they are fantastic players. Aguero doesn't suit Peps style as simple as that really. He has played him in a variety of roles and only really shone in one or two against weak teams but requires the rest of the team to be built around that. Watch Aguero against United and Barcalona trying to play the false-9, very poor and that is a role that is a big part of Peps game and why he is chasing Sanchez.

If you don't think Pep has improved players you clearly haven't paid any attention to the quality of football his teams play and how drastically improved the players become, especially in technical ability and tactical awareness.

LOL. Inter pre 2011 was one of the best team in the world.

This is true. In the golden era, it seems like anyone can bring Inter to win the league, whether it's Mourinho, Mancini, and Benitez as the manager. Then it's been going downhill since Leonardo took the position.

Loris146

This is true. In the golden era, it seems like anyone can bring Inter to win the league, whether it's Mourinho, Mancini, and Benitez as the manager. Then it's been going downhill since Leonardo took the position.

Well Inter had an amazing team. Julio Cesar, Viera , Ibra , Adriano , Cambiasso , Cordoba , Samuel , Maicon ... In 2010 Sneijder , Eto'o , Lucio , Diego Milito etc...

Beefy

Dude showed up at the Barca game..

DFvm6MhXkAA-UqE

Why?

TimmmV

I'll pass on that shit. Changed the pic to get rid of the shit faces on it etc

Lol, cheers anyway, but I don't mind it being there. Was more just ranting cos unfortunately most of my mates are United fans and so end up seeing their posts quite often! :(

T-Rex.

Banned
Rangnick: "Many players with an African backround, and I've met a lot of them, there is a clan and sometimes a whole village that feeds......with the help of a player. And that there are people who demand that he has to change, that is so."

mate, just stop.

Why?

You've gotta be the change you want to see in life.

Rangnick: "Many players with an African backround, and I've met a lot of them, there is a clan and sometimes a whole village that feeds......with the help of a player. And that there are people who demand that he has to change, that is so."

mate, just stop.

I think he's still upset about Mane's move to Southampton from Salzberg, at least I've seen the sentiment going around.

sammex

mate, just stop.

Wow. Strangest way I've ever seen management try to keep a player, doubling down on the casual racism.

Why?

facepalm.gif

Embarrassing

mate, just stop.

If you want to keep a player, why would you say something like that. Talk about subtle racism. I hate racist pigs.

You've gotta be the change you want to see in life.

I think he's still upset about Mane's move to Southampton from Salzberg, at least I've seen the sentiment going around.

Yeah according to a few reports, he is still salty about that.

acohrs

Feels like Carlo really wanted to stick one over his ex bosses at Chelsea and then didn't care what happened in the other friendlies haha

Belgian Jupiler Pro League starting this friday for people starved for competitive football. Starting off with my favourite and freshly promoted team Royal Antwerp facing off against the champions Anderlecht.

Top Bottom