• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

Not to arsed about if players want to leave or not. Part and parcel isn't it. Gerrard wanted to go to Chelsea and he's still my favorite player of all time really.

Beefy

Not to arsed about if players want to leave or not. Part and parcel isn't it. Gerrard wanted to go to Chelsea and he's still my favorite player of all time really.

I don't mind players leaving, it's how they do it. Van Dijk hasn't played any games as his 'head isn't right' aka striking but not saying it.

Fine:

Shaw: was asked to sign a big contract so when Utd came in Saints could get a big fee

Schneiderlin: a lil moan when Saints said they won't sell him until next season, but stopped and accepted it

Mane: all went good

Chambers: demanded to move to Arsenal

Clyne: made up a lot of shit about how lil he was paid, but caused no trouble

Not fine:

Lallana: Burnt his bridges a lil by refusing to put on a Saints shirt ever again and then using his reporter mate to leak made up stories

Lovren: started chatting shit and causing arguments with team mates and staff.

Van Dijk: Not willing to play games. Causing shit behind the scenes

I don't mind players leaving, it's how they do it. Van Dijk hasn't played any games as his 'head isn't right' aka striking but not saying it.

Yeah you got a point. There's respectful ways of leaving and then there's Van Dijk stuff. But I guess for Liverpool's sake, Lallana and Lovren by all accounts were similar and as far as I know haven't caused any troubles at LFC so far. I guess that could be because those twos ceiling is Liverpool, Van Dijk probably could go even further.

TimmmV

Why? He's an absolute monster at dealing with aerial balls, the kind we routinely flap at and concede very silly goals from. I think he's exactly what we need tbh. Don't really care about the fee when you look at £50m for being quoted for Sigurdsson etc.

He's a good player, don't get me wrong. I just don't think he will solve all of our defensive problems, and for £60m or whatever he ends up costing, people will expect him to do that.

That's partly because hes just 1 defender from 5 or so, and as good as he is, it doesn't really matter if Mig makes another mistake or whatever, but also because I think the way Klopp has Liverpool playing leaves the defence exposed anyway, and there is only really so much VvD could do regardless.

That's also why I'm much more keen to see Keita signed than VvD

Yeah, really its silly to expect a load of (mostly) foreign lads to stick around in a rainy northern city they have little attachment to, just expect them to at least not take the piss while doing it.

I'd also add running down a contract to your list though, Owen showed the club so little respect when he did that. If you want to leave you can at least try to make sure the club get some money for you when it happens - after all, they can always negotiate a release clause if they want to make sure they can't be forced to stick with a club longer than they want to

CrayToes

If I was a Saints "ITK", that is exactly what I'd do to torment Liverpool fans. Just look at them all losing their shit. It will be even funnier when he signs for Chelsea, now.

If I was a Saints "ITK", that is exactly what I'd do to torment Liverpool fans. Just look at them all losing their shit. It will be even funnier when he signs for Chelsea, now.

This is getting embarrassing. The Liverpool Echo even mentioned the Saints ITK in their gossip column. I so want this transfer window to be over. Horrible.

Moobabe

Yeah you got a point. There's respectful ways of leaving and then there's Van Dijk stuff. But I guess for Liverpool's sake, Lallana and Lovren by all accounts were similar and as far as I know haven't caused any troubles at LFC so far. I guess that could be because those twos ceiling is Liverpool, Van Dijk probably could go even further.

What if Lallana gets less games now Salah has arrived and Mane isn't at the AFCON? Is he gonna kick up a fuss?

Well, what if Pool don't finish top 4 this season? Or the season after (which there's no guarantee of course) - do these players then ask to move on for CL football? Having players like that sets a dangerous precedent.

T-Rex.

Banned
He's a good player, don't get me wrong. I just don't think he will solve all of our defensive problems, and for £60m or whatever he ends up costing, people will expect him to do that.

That's partly because hes just 1 defender from 5 or so, and as good as he is, it doesn't really matter if Mig makes another mistake or whatever, but also because I think the way Klopp has Liverpool playing leaves the defence exposed anyway, and there is only really so much VvD could do regardless.

That's also why I'm much more keen to see Keita signed than VvD
That's fair, and I agree that Keita would be more of a game changer (why not both!) but I do think Van Dijk will immediately solve our biggest defensive weakness which is dealing with set pieces and dealing with the 2nd ball from them.

Expecting loyalty from players (unless they're local) is just dumb. And in any case, clubs are quick to get rid when it suits them so they can hardly complain when players want to go elsewhere when there's a better offer.

What if Lallana gets less games now Salah has arrived and Mane isn't at the AFCON? Is he gonna kick up a fuss?

Well, what if Pool don't finish top 4 this season? Or the season after (which there's no guarantee of course) - do these players then ask to move on for CL football? Having players like that sets a dangerous precedent.

Sure of course that could happen. But I doubt Lallana would be one of them, he's almost 30. If he's doing another move I doubt it will be to a club above Liverpool. He'd probably go to a Newcastle, West Ham or something like that.

sammex

Arsenal Ladies are dropping the ladies part of their name and will go by Arsenal from now on (Arsenal Women in official documents).

https://www.arsenal.com/news/message-alex-scott

This upcoming season marks the 30th anniversary of women’s football at Arsenal.

Alongside many positive developments, it is with excitement that once again at Arsenal we are looking at ways in which we can take the modern game to a new level.

Going forward, we will drop the term ‘Ladies’ from the Arsenal name, which I feel is a positive and bold statement of intent, support and unity. Although our official new name will be Arsenal Women, you will notice that this will only be used in need of official clarity.

Sometimes change can be hard to accept, especially when you associate the Arsenal Ladies name with such history. We have always been at the forefront of women’s football in this country and it is a name that is recognised around the world now.

It is also a name that has a great legacy. However a legacy is not something that you leave behind, your legacy is also what you teach and pass on to the next generation.

This is one of many positive developments going on at Arsenal. We are attracting some of the best players in the world to our team, and we are training in world class facilities. In changing our name we are celebrating a new chapter in our history, a chapter in which we want to empower a new generation of both males and females. The term ‘Women’ delineates between men and women without as many stereotypes or preconceived notions and it is in keeping with modern day thinking on equality.

At Arsenal we want to continue to inspire young people and to be positive influences for all females and males around the world no matter what age or circumstance. We want to continue to show that we are at a stage that it is ok to welcome change, to speak out and to dream whilst having the confidence to do so.

As a team we will continue to work hard and we will carry the pride of our history forward with the main aim to be the best that we can be.
We are moving forward together as a club and I hope that this sends out a message that times are changing for the better.

We will continue to be leaders and pioneers both on and off the field. We are very excited for the future and we are looking forward to your continued support this season.

Your Captain,
Alex Scott

Good for them. Would like to see LFC Ladies do the same.

TimmmV

Lallana will get games as he's one of Klopp's favourites, so that wont be a problem for him. You'd hope that Klopp will rotate the squad more regardless though, what with the extra games in Europe. Don't think players getting games will be a problem, especially the attacking ones. Gini, Henderson and Can are the more the ones who will likely be playing for a limited number of places, and in that case Can does cause some worry because he's in the last year of his contract

With your 2nd point - that's always going to be a problem as long as other clubs can offer more. If Liverpool fail to get into the CL then there will be CL clubs looking to take the best players, if they manage to consistently get into the CL, then there will be clubs like Madrid/Barca looking to cherry pick the best ones etc etc. All you can really do about it is try to stay ahead of the market and get replacements before the need to is forced on you really

Arsenal Ladies are dropping the ladies part of their name and will go by Arsenal from now on (Arsenal Women in official documents).

Agree. Calling them "ladies" teams did always seem a bit antiquated

That's fair, and I agree that Keita would be more of a game changer (why not both!) but I do think Van Dijk will immediately solve our biggest defensive weakness which is dealing with set pieces and dealing with the 2nd ball from them.

Expecting loyalty from players (unless they're local) is just dumb. And in any case, clubs are quick to get rid when it suits them so they can hardly complain when players want to go elsewhere when there's a better offer.

Yeah, either of Keita or VvD will still be an improvement on the squad so are ultimately a good thing - but I guess I'll always be sceptical of spending £60m on a defender lol

Fans also have a double standard there - they're very quick to demand a player get out/never play again if they have a few shit games, but expect a lot of loyalty for the really good ones.

I think expecting professionalism from them while they still play for your club is fine but that level of loyalty is pretty hypocritical

DBT85

Was wondering just the other day about how long clubs dropped the ladies part. Good or them. Now if United could join us in the 21st century and get a team again that'd be great.

Moobabe

Yep, this is a good move. I was checking the England Ladies cricket final on the BBC site the other weekend and thought it was odd that it read:

England Ladies vs India Ladies

Like, we don't write it England Men vs India Men...

Also that Chelsea article is just spot on top to bottom. I do not understand how we can't find minutes for academy players. There were games we were strolling last year, 3-0, 4-0 etc with 30 minutes to go, yet we refused to give guys like Aina, Chalobah or RLC time.

As the article suggests - 30 minutes vs the bottom 10 in the PL and 30 minutes vs the 4th seed in the CL group (and maybe more for dead rubbers) would give us 1,000 minutes for an academy player. Not the 100 something minutes we gave guys like RLC and Chalobah last year.

Why, for instance, are we in the market for £30m right wing backs when we have (not only Azpi who is a great stand in there) but Tomori, who is big, strong and just won an international tournament with England. Even if he only gets 30 minutes every other game, or gives Moses a rest, it saves us 30m fucking quid AND gets the fans onside, AND proves the academy is fucking working.

TimmmV

Was wondering just the other day about how long clubs dropped the ladies part. Good or them. Now if United could join us in the 21st century and get a team again that'd be great.

Just switch to a more modern, progressive team instead tbh

pls dont reply with the Suarez tshirts

acohrs

Yep, this is a good move. I was checking the England Ladies cricket final on the BBC site the other weekend and thought it was odd that it read:

England Ladies vs India Ladies

Like, we don't write it England Men vs India Men...

Also that Chelsea article is just spot on top to bottom. I do not understand how we can't find minutes for academy players. There were games we were strolling last year, 3-0, 4-0 etc with 30 minutes to go, yet we refused to give guys like Aina, Chalobah or RLC time.

As the article suggests - 30 minutes vs the bottom 10 in the PL and 30 minutes vs the 4th seed in the CL group (and maybe more for dead rubbers) would give us 1,000 minutes for an academy player. Not the 100 something minutes we gave guys like RLC and Chalobah last year.

Why, for instance, are we in the market for £30m right wing backs when we have (not only Azpi who is a great stand in there) but Tomori, who is big, strong and just won an international tournament with England. Even if he only gets 30 minutes every other game, or gives Moses a rest, it saves us 30m fucking quid AND gets the fans onside, AND proves the academy is fucking working.

One of the most frustrating things about finishing 10th was watching the club not embrace that season as a write off and experiment, just become paralysed and wish the season was over

Moobabe

One of the most frustrating things about finishing 10th was watching the club not embrace that season as a write off and experiment, just become paralysed and wish the season was over

Don't even, I've written that latter half of the season from my mind.

Only Traore got given a decent chance and, guess what, he fucking scored goals for the team.

Dominic King of the Mail says Liverpool have ended their chase in Keita. Will now pursuit different midfield options.

Disappointing, but I'm glad we're at least looking at other players. There were some rumors that if Van Dijk and/or Keita didn't materialize, Klopp would be happy with what he got. That's why I hope Van Dijk or some other CB comes in, can't go into a season with the injury prone Lovren and Matip, the shaky Klavan and the inexperienced Gomez.

great article on the youth academy at chelsea, sadly in my mind it's nothing but a money making exercise, but one can dream...

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/features/2017/7/24/16018544/the-chelsea-academy-conundrum

The FA really need to step up and address the gulf between youth set ups and first team football. I think the under 21 teams should be put into the league system, towards the bottom and just let them play. Maybe do some sort of playoff in the summer if too many make it to championship level.

Both Chelsea and City have a massive problem in this regard. They are the two clubs with the brightest prospects and really the only rival each other. When you have a team that goes unbeaten but is compromised of kids that would normally be in the age group lower and except for one age group it is always City or Chelsea youth teams winning everything, yet few are ready for first team football there is a problem.

There is the loan system but if they have to leave the country to get experience something is very wrong. City as one of the backers behind Girona are now using them to blood the young players in La Liga so they have found a solution whilst keeping them in the club network but that shouldn't have needed to be the case.

sammex

Dominic King of the Mail says Liverpool have ended their chase in Keita. Will now pursuit different midfield options.

Disappointing, but I'm glad we're at least looking at other players. There were some rumors that if Van Dijk and/or Keita didn't materialize, Klopp would be happy with what he got. That's why I hope Van Dijk or some other CB comes in, can't go into a season with the injury prone Lovren and Matip, the shaky Klavan and the inexperienced Gomez.

Also Jeremy Wilson from the Telegraph - "Southampton hope to reintegrate Virgil Van Dijk into first-team training next week."

fb2.gif

Also Jeremy Wilson from the Telegraph - "Southampton hope to reintegrate Virgil Van Dijk into first-team training next week."

Dank dreams do die.

Oh well, if Keita's really serious about us he'll hit us up in January or next summer. Though I am afraid of his head being turned.

I do wonder if this makes us more likely to go in for Ox or not.

If Liverpool actually signed Ox it likely wouldn't be until late in the window. Can't see him being allowed to leave considering how underprepared Wenger is again for a season.

CrayToes

As January showed, we need depth. Can't afford to be too precious a couple weeks before the league starts.

Exactly. I think our starting 11 is really good for the most part but our lack of depth killed us last year.

Also, I think Wimmer would be a really solid replacement for Fonte but I'm not sure why Spurs would let him go.

I really rate him tbh. He wouldn't be an exciting signing but I think it'd be a smart move. He's a lot like Milner in his work rate and versatility.

I wouldn't mind it. But I think the FSG critics will be out in full force if Andy Carroll will still be our record signing when the window ends. When before the summer many were hoping for big and expensive signings.

I wouldn't mind it. But I think the FSG critics will be out in full force if Andy Carroll will still be our record signing when the window ends. When before the summer many were hoping for big and expensive signings.

No point in us making a statement signing the management ain't behind. I'm all about the Klopp factor. Though all the drama we had maybe points we need some better people behind the scenes for the next window.

Beefy

Exactly. I think our starting 11 is really good for the most part but our lack of depth killed us last year.

Also, I think Wimmer would be a really solid replacement for Fonte but I'm not sure why Spurs would let him go.

I think I heard they are willing to let him go as he hardly plays

No point in us making a statement signing the management ain't behind. I'm all about the Klopp factor. Though all the drama we had maybe points we need some better people behind the scenes for the next window.

I'm all for what Klopp wants to do. But I don't wanna be in December-January-February again with a small squad on our knees.

I'm all for what Klopp wants to do. But I don't wanna be in December-January-February again with a small squad on our knees.

Neither do I. Still mildly hoping Keita stays true to us, RB have a bad run in the CL, and they'll offer him to us before they have to give him up for a release clause. As for centre backs, we need definite upgrades as opposed to pure depth I reckon.

Chelsea
Tottenham
Man City
Liverpool
Arsenal
Man United

I honestly can't judge how these are gonna fall this season. Everton are a bit of a wildcard as well.

I think Liverpool aren't gonna start as strong as we did last season, Europe and all to hopefully be thinking about. Chelsea aren't gonna stay as dominant, it's just their way. Tottenham are at the mercy for their squad depth for now, but there's no reason to think they can't keep last season going. City should do really well. Should. Arsenal have a lot to prove but I'm not convinced they've learned any lessons. And if United's players begin to properly gel they'll be a force to be reckoned with. Or they could be average. Please be average.

Top Bottom